Is unicron the closest thing to a lovecraftian horror that wasnt made by lovecraft?

Is unicron the closest thing to a lovecraftian horror that wasnt made by lovecraft?

Other urls found in this thread:

theguardian.com/books/2015/nov/09/world-fantasy-award-drops-hp-lovecraft-as-prize-image
archive.is/E3Hyt
youtube.com/watch?v=AzIXdQiaRBc
tfwiki.net/wiki/Shroud
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The Many-Angled Ones.

How the fuck have the Bay films not blown their load already and done Unicron?

You should see the new Godzilla movie.

It probably literally is just budget. They can't render large bodies with the amount of fidelity they feel is needed.

Remember when Devastator showed up for like five seconds, flashed his balls, and then immediately got cockslapped by the American Miltary's giant transformer wang?

Anno's one? How is it?

SJWs.

They've already had Lovecraft removed from the World Fantasy award and had him replaced with someone half as influential but twice as politically correct.

>They've already had Lovecraft removed from the World Fantasy award
What?

It's like a body horror Godzilla movie. It's pretty great.

is that out yet?

Really

SASUGA ANNO

theguardian.com/books/2015/nov/09/world-fantasy-award-drops-hp-lovecraft-as-prize-image

You didn't hear about it?

Lovecraft was racist when he was young, and that means everything he ever did is tainted.

So last year, the SJWs removed his bust from the award, replacing it with Octavia Butler, who's main accomplishment was being a black female SF writer. Wouldn't want to replace him with another white male, or people might get the wrong message that it's actually about racism, and not about tokenism.

it was pretty much given to him as a way to vent for a couple years after having another breakdown while doing Eva 3.0

archive.is/E3Hyt

>Following Sunday’s announcement, Older told the Guardian: “Today, fantasy is a better, more inclusive, and stronger genre because of it.”

Remember, "inclusivity" is the only thing that's important these days. Quality doesn't count - just look at some of the pap that's won.

>“Evidently,” Joshi added, “this move was meant to placate the shrill whining of a handful of social justice warriors who believe that a ‘vicious racist’ like Lovecraft has no business being honoured by such an award.”

the breakdown thing was a rumor

>he SJWs removed his bust from the award, replacing it with Octavia Butler, who's main accomplishment was being a black female SF writer.

You're half right. They're no longer using Lovecraft, but as far as I know, they have yet to announce a replacement.

This is such bullshit.

> OMG A RACIST MAN BORN IN 1890 WHAT A SHOCK

Never mind that he is the granddad of modern horror, fuck it im out, i used to support the whole social justice thing but fuck this.

>“Today, fantasy is a better, more inclusive, and stronger genre because of it.”

Anyone else find this line kind of ominous?

How is Unicron anything like a Lovecraftian horror? He ain't existentially horrifying, he's just the result of a one-night stand between Galactus and the Death Star.

Cancerverse in general was pretty cool

To be fair, Lovecraft was really fuckin' racist even for his day. Like, half his stories are about how terrifying and subhuman blacks are.
If it was just "he was racist in his personal life" then yeah, this would be terrible, but I'm fine with them not literally celebrating his work given how much his racism is intertwined with it.

His name makes most Cybertronians shit a brick, he roams the universe eating planets, and he's ridiculously hard to kill.

He also used to be immortal, but, well, retcons.

Don't read the comments unless you want to rage.

It's textbook SJW playbook arguments, and though they lose every debate, they someone win the war.

A handful of early stories were like that. And showed fear of the strange and different, be they blacks, European immigrants, or white hillbillies.

So... he's Galactus, then.

Yeah. Basically.

Iv read most of his works, yeah there are racial elements in some of his work, and yeah they are needlessly shoehorned in, such as the black boxer in Herbert west. But saying half his work is racially insulting is just hyperbole. I mean this guy invented the modern zombie story, explored and created new forms of horror / sci-fi and has influenced nearly every horror writer from 1900 to this very day.

We shouldn't celebrate his racism but we also shouldn't sweep influential but controversial figures under the carpet.

Not exactly. Galactus eats planets because it's his job, and it's implied that one day in the far future when he's eaten everything, he will BE the singularity and will explode into a new Big Bang.

Unicorn the Chaos Bringer is a pandimensional nightmare (he's eaten 22.56% of all universes so far) that acts out of pure hatred at the thought of anything but himself existing. His end goal is to bring an end to the annoying creation boasting independence around him, and find peace by becoming the living center of a swirling, infinite torrent of nothingness at the end of all things.

I'm pretty sure all Unicrons across the Transformers multiverse are also the same guy

*As an addendum to the above, not only is eating planets Galactus' job, but he's not even in any hurry about it. He eats when he's hungry and doesn't eat when he isn't - he's not gluttonous. He goes out of his way to have Heralds that warn the lifeforms on planets of his coming so that they can have a chance to find some peace in their final days; furthermore if the people of the planet have the technology to escape it, he's perfectly fine with that (it's just not his responsibility to do so). He's also demonstrated several times that if given a choice between a planet with sapient life and a planet without sapient life, he'll take the latter; and that if you can find a way to feed him that doesn't require eating a planet at all, not only will he happily accept it (once, he does still have a job to do), but he'll even be so pleased that he'll grant you some kind of boon or reward. Finally, when he gives his word, it is ironclad.

Galactus is a swell guy doing a job that nobody likes but which has to be done to the best of his ability. Unicron, by contrast, is basically machine Satan.

Canonically, they are. All Unicrons are the same Unicron, he just exists across different universes simultaneously.

Really? Didn't he used to be one of two ancient viking space gods that embodied life and death?

Not anymore.

Wow this place really is tumblr

>Unicorn the Chaos Bringer is a pandimensional nightmare
That's no longer the case. The concept of multiversal singularities in Transformers was buried some time ago.

No, it's just not Sup Forums or Sup Forums. I'm not even sure if what that guy said is true (nor do I care, Lovecraft is a meme for teenaged COF fans) but either way thinking racism is a bad thing does not automatically make something "tumblr", you degenerate....

Being a decent human does not make you a SJW, for fuck's sake summerfaggot

> Love craft = meme
> Racism = bad but uses the word faggot

Great bait mate

Ttthhhhpppp. That's no fun. No fun at all.

It was a dumb idea

>not understanding the differences between casual insults and actual bigotry
>liking lovecraft

Great autism nigger faggot mate

>not liking lovecraft
I hope you get tentacle raped you fucking faggot

Yeah man...Her Ghost In The Fog \m/
Btw nice replica of the Necronomicon from Evil Dead, and cool satanic pendant!

Peusdo occultist kiddies are the most cringe worthy people on the planet, kill yourself

How new are you though

>literally no u
>muh internethatemachine meme

Fuck off to Sup Forums, discussion boards are not your home

wow, after reading that I kinda want to be galactus' pal now.

>Lovecraft removed from the World Fantasy award

It's like a sacrifice when they win user. A small one that chips away at their lifespan. The more exposure they get, the more reviled they become, until one day they're blown the fuck out on live tv for all to see, because of their own isolationist tendencies and inability to overcome criticism. You can't leave a debate irl, nor have the opponent banned from chat.

I want to break your fucking neck you eltist scumball.

>So last year, the SJWs removed his bust from the award, replacing it with Octavia Butler, who's main accomplishment was being a black female SF writer.
You know, I'm probably one of the biggest "SJWs" here. And I mean that. In a "I wish Sup Forums was closed' sort of way.

You'd better be fucking joking right now.
WHO THE FUCK IS BUTLER. Doesn't it seem a little too on the --oh, who cares.

Artist's work should not be defined by their political views.

Art IMHO exists for Art's sake.

Wagner was not a very nice man but he was a great composer of music and that is ultimately all that matters.

>You can't leave a debate irl, nor have the opponent banned from chat.

They've done it, many many times. Followed by them declaring victory as their media buddies cheer them on.

Classic example: youtube.com/watch?v=AzIXdQiaRBc

Unicron is an Elder God, he and Primus are the oldest beings in the universe.

Unicron's origin in the comics is Lovecraftian as fuck.

Shut the fuck up shitlord. Only a racist and sexist would claim that there's something more important than racism and sexism.

>What SJWs actually believe.

>I want to break your fucking neck you eltist scumball.

Short answer: No
Long answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

There are plenty of lovecraftian horrors that weren't made by lovecraft.

I forgot about this.

>petition spearheaded by one Daniel José Older
>check his twitter, he's retweeting about the "Aug Lives Matter" thing
>the guy he's retweeting is praising that racist scumbag Manveer Heir
I just wish I didn't know so much about these terrible people, but I'm compelled to learn as much about them as possible.

holy shit this thread

Didn't he used to be the sole surviving member of a race of advanced aliens that predated the then current iteration of 616 ?

No, I barely remember the movie and even the comic panel you posted kind of falls in the face of Lovecraftian horror. It's a common misconception that Lovecraftian horror is about tentacles or really big old things. Really, the mark of Lovecraft is the revelation of some existential frailty on the part of the narrator or on society in general. Typically the existential threat is revealed to have always been there and/or is not preventable because the threats themselves are so alien as to either not notice or be unable to see why humanity would not want their society destroyed in such a way.
A deliberate threat like Unicron that acknowledges lesser beings and wants to rule/be worshipped by them/bring about a new age, actually runs contrary to the themes in Lovecraftian horror.
The Celestials would probably be a little closer in their evolutionary meddling and harvesting but talking to Earthlings and telling them how important you are loses you Lovecraft points.

>Never heard of Octavia Butler
>Multiple Hugo and Nebula winner: Octavia Butler
>Contemporary with Harlan Ellison: Octavia Butler
Nigga, you just a pleb

What is some of the 'pap' that's won? I think Rachel Swirsky is as cringeworthy as anyone but what's getting awards that you specifically dislike?

In Japan yes

The more you learn about them, the more you realize they're all in cahoots.

>A deliberate threat like Unicron that acknowledges lesser beings and wants to rule/be worshipped by them/bring about a new age, actually runs contrary to the themes in Lovecraftian horror.

Actually, I think not. Not necessarily at least, although most writers couldn't dream of joining these themes. But look at the Old Ones from "Dunwich Horror". Most horrible creatures Lovecraft came up with, more alien, ancient and evil than Cthulhu, demons, dream-world creatures... Yet they even breed with humans and want to transfer Earth to another dimensional plane to set up home for their offspring.

Another thing: not defending that indeed plebeian user, but in terms of being the face of an award, replacing Lovecraft with practically anybody short of Tolkien is despicable. Not to mention that [IN THE CURRENT YEAR} you can bet that tokenism was one of the biggest motifs, and her status as a writer could've been secondary.

>Never heard of Octavia Butler

Never said I never heard of her, just that the reason they chose her was for the diversity points. She's a good writer (and her stuff is way more readable then Lovecraft) but she's hardly as influential as him, or as influential as many other writers they could have chosen instead. And she's never written any fantasy, either.

>What is some of the 'pap' that's won? I think Rachel Swirsky is as cringeworthy as anyone but what's getting awards that you specifically dislike?

Ahahahaha, you got it in one.

Honestly i understand. If your not white and all your told is how creative a genius and influential person he was then you go read his work and half of what you get is telling you your not worthy of following his work cause hey honestly your a retarded mongrel. I would say fucc this old bastard and look at other authors/illustrators too. I wouldnt celebrate someone who thinks like that either.

Like galactus ?

Like galactus ?

What's wrong with celebrating racism? Diversity is our strength, after all. (

Oh ok. Hes like a mean galactus

Reeeee his opinion isnt mine tumblr tumblr tumblr.

It's meant to be ominous. The people who preach inclusivity think the only way to achieve it is by forcefully excluding anyone who disagrees with them.

When you hear language like that, you know a purge is in planning.

I am practically sure that you like screaming "Sup Forums leave reeeee" every time somebody says something you deem racist or something like that.

It's been a while since I've read Dunwich Horror but my impression of it was that the Whateleys wanted to rule and bring out a new age and that Yog-Sothoth merely 'was'. There certainly are cultists and human colluders in Lovecraft stories who ply for domination using baleful powers, it's one of his other hallmarks, but it was always my impression that their gusto was not necessarily shared by their inhuman charges. I always figured that the Whaeleys were projecting their desire for inhuman hegemony onto the incomprehensible Yog-Sothoth, but I might have come up with that later or out of a disinterested reading.

I've always been more of a Clark-Ashton-Smith-fag so there are degrees to which I value the honoring of a good-tier pulp author who abused purple prose and invented a unique approach to horror that everyone gets wrong. Lovecraft is influential in part because he's famous and in part because of novelty he's not really the best Fantasy or Weird fiction author who ever lived and there's not necessarily any reason to hand out busts of his head in particular (other than them being hilariously grotesque and instantly recognizable)
(As for Tolkien, while I like LoTR and I recognize the enormous footprint he's left on fantasy I mostly lean towards Moorcock's essay 'Epic Pooh' in terms of his negligible impact on the actual craft of writing and the dubious politic within) There's definitely a bend towards inclusivity in spec-fic circles nowadays I like to think that it's because white male authors already set the bar so high that you kind of 'need' a gimmick to avoid being a pale imitation of Gibson or Aasimov. Some of the nominees in recent years have baffled me but for the most part the winners never seemed really unearned. As long as the new statue is as hideous as the old one I'll be happy

You're confusing SJWs with normal people. They sometimes fight for something that is right but they're too stupid to realize that they're doing more harm than good and half of the time they just fight for some generic cause without even knowing when it should apply at all.

Well, no, because even in his own lifetime Lovecraft didn't create all the stuff in his shared universe, and there's been huge amounts of works after his death that explicitly feature "lovecraftian" horrors which did not exist in his personal or shared writings.

In the old Marvel continuity at least, Unicron didn't want to rule anything. It wanted to devour everything, because it was literally an old god that had been imprisoned on our plane of existence at the dawn of the universe and spent the rest of time eating chunks of reality, leaving the void empty behind it, searching for the beings created to stop it in order to devour them. It's strongly implied that the cults which worshiped Unicron in that continuity also had a large part in ensuring the constant division and civil war of the Transformers as a planet/race, as they were seen to make attacks on unifying figures.

In a future strand of that same continuity, Unicron is shown to have incredible powers of mental control and to have retained his presence in the Astral Plane - the psychic universe - albeit much reduced from his original power levels, even after the severing of his head. He's capable of enslaving an entire planet and directing them in the presumably incredibly complex work of rebuilding his physical body (escape to the former status of intangible god apparently being impossible).

Unicron in that world doesn't want to be worshiped and simply abuses the minds of lesser beings such that they work toward his goals without even understanding that they're slaves. In the rare cases where it's been shown that they were aware, they're clearly suffering - you know, the madness that Lovecraft liked writing about. I think in that particular continuity Unicron probably does owe a lot to Lovecraft, though I'm less concerned about power levels than you seem to be.

The thing is, SJWs somehow equate writing Offensive things in text as lynching pea-oh-seas while saluting Hitler. They truly cannot separate fiction from reality; behind every writing or drawing, however innocuous they might be, there has GOT to be some patriarchal edict Triggering™ minorities and making them feel bad. And making somebody feel bad is an unspeakable crime to them—unless you're a white straight male, of course.

Social Justice is windmill-tilting and tiptoeing on eggshells made into a political docrine. Everybody is a privileged shitlord until proven otherwise, in which case they demand permanent penitence.

Ungoliant from Tolkien.

Source?

Unicron wants to end all existence. He twists lesser beings into his slaves, and is preceded by a herald who himself is more than capable of depopulating worlds and is a terror even to Transformers. He has stripped at least one universe entirely of life. Seems pretty Lovecraftian to me.

Gozer

Ghostbusters is basically lovecraft played for laughs

Shuma Gorath.

Like I said, My only exposure to Unicron was the Transformers movie.

The comic Unicron you described does sound more in line with Lovecraftian horror. Having discrete and understandable goals and origins does take a little bit of the cosmic horror shine off but It's perfectly in line with those horror motifs. I'm not sure how you got power levels into it, being unreasonable and unstoppable doesn't necessarily involve being all-powerful. The Mi-go in 'The Whisperer in Darkness' aren't all powerful and their goals are mostly clear, their unstoppability comes from their elusiveness and their ability to resist scientific documentation, and their threat is exposing humanity to the alluring madness of the cosmos when they make contact. also: sucking people's brains out and putting them in jars.

The pedantry here is the more descriptive lore and motivation you give to your cosmic horrors, the less 'cosmic' and 'horrific' they become.

It would be nice to see more low-tier cosmic horrors that posed more subtle threats to the fabric of human society. I can't think of too many Sup Forums related ones off the top of my head though.

>Source?

tfwiki.net/wiki/Shroud

And he's correct. What's the problem here? Don't tell me you're actually supporting the SJWcucks.

Hey man, how did you get a hold of my cat?

I feel like him and primus have more of that August Derleth fingerprints of good and evil gods instead of completely inexplicable beings.

Really there are so many Lovecraftian horrors made by people who aren't the main man himself.

When they were rendering Devastator in a test run it melted the computer.

This

Are you implying the stuff made by Derleth is equal to HP's output, let alone good?

Good for them. HPL was shit, and ridiculously overrated. There were much better authors in the genre.

>Originator of the zombie story
>Inspired whole generations of a new genre of horror based on existentialism
>Deserves no recognition in modern awards for such

Piss off.

Not Derleth Fuck no

But Robert E Howards not bad.
Bloodborne got the right sense of atmosphere and tones
And The Thing is pure HPL.
There have been good and great cosmic horror since HPL

Derleth had a FEW (very few) good additions so I don't write him out but he was not Clark Ashton Smith for sure.

none of the Lovecraftians shitters are existentially horrifying, their just big scary monsters

>originator of the zombie story
>inspired a new genre

This level of retardation only proves my point. HPL's a fucking meme.

>Originator of the zombie story
are you fucking reatarded? zombies were invented by negroes in the nineteenth century and modern zombies were invented by George Romero in the sixties.
>Inspired whole generations of a new genre of horror based on existentialism
so did World War 2, does that make World War 2 a great fantasy writer?

>And The Thing is pure HPL.
no, "The Thing" is personal and scary, at no point depending on the audience NOT imagining something to generate horror. its literally the opposite of HPL. as any watchable movie would be

>originator of the zombie story
he wasn't, even a little bit. first of all, how is "Herbert West: Re-Animator" any more of a zombie story than "Frankenstein"?

In the mid 19th century, steam engines were making ironclad warships possible. This came to become historically famous in the action off Hampton Roads, where the Monitor fought the Virginia in a tactical draw. Naval guns just didn't have the penetrating power to destroy warships with iron armor.

For the next several years, it was believed the future in naval weaponry lay in rams. Early ocean-going ironclads featured rather prominent and some times ridiculous rams. After a few years of testing and experience, the idea was abandoned in favor of naval guns, which were undergoing rapid improvement.

It took awhile for the general public to get the idea of rams out of their collective imagination. For awhile, the idea of one warship ramming another was the most powerful force conceivable. Explosives didn't match up. Nukes were still a long way off. So when H.G. Wells wrote War of the Worlds near the turn of the 20th century, the only time a Martian is defeated is when a British dreadnought rams one in open waters. Of course not even a Martian tripod, resistant to all other petty human weapons, can possibly withstand the impossible force of a ship at full speed. That would be ludicrous, even by sci fi standards.

So HPL, ignorant and kinda dumb even by contemporary standards, was a little slow to get the message. Even thirty or so years after H.G. Wells. He's got this horrifying impossible unimaginable terror from beyond space and time in Cthulhu, and what happens? A boat runs into his head and he dies. So spoopy.

Or Monkey's Paw. It's a shame, but most of HPL's fans seem barely literate.

There is no just god