This was incredibly moving. I nearly cried when the civilian boats come for the soldiers

This was incredibly moving. I nearly cried when the civilian boats come for the soldiers

I also saw several women checking their phones during the movie. Last night I saw some other user make a thread saying it happened in his showing too, I thought he was just memeing but it's true

I agree, I was about to cry when the main pilot was slowly orbiting down and down while being cheered at. I saw some people looking at their phones as well. My heart was beating out of my chest throughout the whole movie. It was amazing.

I got choked up but kept it together. I think the beauty of overcoming such obsticles and themes of patriotism really got to me.

Can't comment on other people's reactions in the theatre but my gf thought it was good. She didn't think it was great though.

I loved it. Gave me great pride in being a male.

Not sure if that's what the movie was going for but that's how I feel.

You also posted the same image as him, what a wacky coincidence!

It is the movie men need to remind themselves what it means to be a man.

It is genuinely refreshing to see noble themes in a major hollywood movie. As long as people come to watch movies like this, it gives me hope for the West.

Hell, i bet Harry Styles managed to redpill millions of otherwise vapid millennial women

I thought it was a great idea, but it reminded me of Lord of the Rings, the book vs. the movie. In the book, they basically tell the whole battle of the Pellenor Fields, then the whole March on the Black Gate story, then Frodo's whole story, then back to the Black Gates to watch them collapse, then the rest of the book. The Ring is actually destroyed about 2/3 of the way through the book. In the movie, they do a much better job intercutting the action at the Pellenor FIelds, Sam and Frodo's journey, and then the action at the Black Gates. Everything feels like it's happening simultaneously, whereas in the book, you might have hours or days or even weeks reading between the Ring's destuction and the Towers of the Teeth collapsing.
This movie felt like they could have intercut the beach story, the guys-on-the-boat story, and the Spitfire pilot story, and you'd have a much better idea of a timeline, of where the various players are, and it would add tension. The ticking clock thing drove me nuts.

Actually, the more I think about it, the worse this movie is.
-The aforementioned editing issues.
-The Main Character was a chickenshit who tried like hell to get on the first boat he could find, then hid when they wouldn't let him on, (which was idiotic anyway, why not try and jump on the lower deck if that's how you're going to be?) Then he gloms onto a group of survivors from the sinking ship, then gloms onto a group of guys trying to refloat the boat, then gloms onto the crew of the bombed minesweeper. And what, he's supposed to be the brave hero? I was more impressed by the guys who stayed in lines while the Stukas were dive-bombing them.

okay, I don't know if I'm taking crazy pills, but this exactly happened in my showing too. I went to the movie with a buddy of mine. He sat left to me and left to him were a couple of middle aged dudes. Right to me was a woman in her late twenties along with her boyfriend. The whole movie she was checking her phone. It was distracting as fuck. During the ending when they had georges article on the paper, I heard sobbing from the guys to the left of me. I was a little teary eyed too. But this women was fucking taking selfies in a dark theatre. I wanted to throw the phone away.

Continued...
-Fucking George. That kid did nothing but add unnecessary drama. First off, he was taking up a space on the boat that should be used for rescuing soldiers. Second, he did nothing but get knocked down while on the boat. Then he dies, and as they said "Every stretcher takes up the place of 7 standing soldiers." So, by dying, he was taking up the place of a bunch of soldiers. He should have been thrown off at the dock to make room. Also, Cillian Murphy's character (literally named "Shivering Soldier") was useless. He was just there to be someone to say "oh no, we shouldn't go back."
-Seriously? No one else on the beach saw that boat and thought of getting it ready for high tide? And when the 400,000 troops saw those few guys running toward it, they didn't follow them?
- How fucking far can a Spitfire glide? The guy made 3 passes over the beach in different directions, and shot down an He111 in the process, with no engine, and presumably damaged hydraulic systems (he had to hand-crank the landing gear.) All this was from no more than 2000 feet altitude. And why the fuck wouldn't you bail out over the friendly troops?
-Fuck you Sup Forums. When Tom Hardy finally took off his oxygen mask and showed his face, all I could think of was...well, you know what I thought of.

It's a feel only white people know. Helping out your fellow man risking death. Today's England populated by pakis would have told the soldiers to fuck off and to mind their privilege.

i got choked up when the boy hit his head and started moaning in pain :(

THIS

dunkino

This guy sitting like 3 seats away from me kept looking at his. Then his dad said "turn your fucking phone off" and he did. Haha.

It's pretty depressing watching a beautifully made film like that then having box office dominated by some CGI kiddie comic shit.

A lady scoffed at me when I told my friend I thought the movie wasn't that good

there was a couple in front of me and to my left at my showing. the woman had her phone out with the screen brightness up, so i noticed every time she had it out. the first few times she did it the boyfriend said nothing. but as the movie went on, he said something to her and she never pulled it out again. she was literally texting during the best parts.

>Britsharias are such sad excuses for "men" that a huge '"victory"' to them is literally fleeing

dont forget the french! they want you to remember they were there for the famous retreat too!

This, We were very close to being completely btfo.

why is everyone hating on george? yeah it was foolish for him to go. that's what makes it noble. if it was smart, safe, and useful for him to go there would be no heroism in his death. he died capriciously, as most in war do, but he still died in service to his country. are you a woman or something?

I think the American armed forces make a pretty big deal out of no man left behind etc. too.

You are retarded. You cant activate your parachute in time when youre that low to the ground. Thats the same reason the other pilot didnt bail. And yes, a plane like that can in fact glide that far. It was a real spitfire, there was no cg in that shot.

Also, the reason no one followed those guys to the beached boat was because there were German soldiers on the other side of that hill. They even explained this fact. I honestly think youre just too retarded for this movie. Probably a non white.

>not celebrating when half a million of your sons and fathers escape certain death and live to fight on to victory

>get btfo by german army
>germans let you escape because they think Brits have learned their lesson and will just not get involved in the war further
>regroup and just continue like a bunch of fags >Russia and America defeat Germany
>act like you somehow helped
>Europe is destroyed
>lose your empire
>flood your own country with pakis and nigs until weekly terrorist attacks in your capital become "part and parcel"

Yea they sure showed us germans

>Fucking George.
I assume you're American by your post. You see you are complaining that a character wasn't a Mary Sue. Yes, he was dumb. Yes, he was useless. So what? He's a character. Not every character is Superman. A character doing something unwise is not a plot hole or an issue with the movie.

movies americans will never understand

it needed more explosions desu

I didn't realize the British were the instigators of the battle of London. I should have remembered that the air space over England was already German territory.

The empathy for the characters has nothing to do with their story. I did not want to go through the dialogue, tell the story of my characters… The problem is not who they are, who they pretend to be or where they come from. The only question I was interested in was: Will they get out of it? Will they be killed by the next bomb while trying to join the mole? Or will they be crushed by a boat while crossing?
— Christopher Nolan on the main purpose of the film

>That ending scene when Tom Hardy is standing in front of the burning plane.
Nolan. The absolute madman.

>edge of seat tension for the entire movie
HOW DOES HE DO IT

I don't think any Nolan movie is as full of cringeworthy scenes as this one.
>stoic civilian sailors landing on the beach while everyone cheers
>navy guys teary eyed watching this
>tom hardy weeping after setting plane on fire
>people cheering soldiers on train
>general callously talking about 400000 dying
>frenchie drowning
>scotts and french being assholes

Spotted the american

Saw it in dolby atmos earlier and it's an incredible experience. Makes me wish I saw Interstellar the same way

Several people were checking their phones in my screening as well. Very strange. I guess this isn't a normie war movie.

People were expecting more explosions and a forced romance angle with a nurse.

movies people who have gone through the american "education" system will never understand.

a year of world history at junior in high school, right?

I thought it was great but what was the point of george getting hurt and just dying?

I guess to show even the smallest contribution to the war got some sort of recognition, with the paper article about him

It's better to die a hero than do nothing and live like a coward

I just saw it and haven't had time to pick it though and have avoided threads like plague BUT just what I gather:
1. he didn't have to come, he did
2. represents civilian victims of war -> deaths in unexpected forms
3. he served as a prop for the shellshocked war veteran slashing out/young man swallowing his anger and understanding the shellshocked war veteran scene

george was the source of drama for almost all of the moonstone scenes, he was a very pivotal role and he epitomized the heroism/risks the civilian volunteers made during the real thing

why didn't they tell cillian murphy the kid died?
why didn't the old guy handing out blankets look them in the eyes?

Because the young man noticed his genuine concern for the boy and realized that he had only acted in a state of extreme stress while not being himself and didn't want to add to the suffering of a war veteran they forced to return to France.

Because he was blinding. That's why he fondled the returning kids' faces.

blind*

Bailing out below a certain distance is incredibly dangerous. Bailing out w/ winds greater than 25kts is incredibly dangerous (and thats w/ modern parachutes).

>How fucking far can a Spitfire glide?
Depends on the flight profile, which in this case landing gear was up. It also depends on how FAR vs how LONG.

Short answer would be at least a few nautical miles, probably 3-4+.

He was definitely the source of drama, but it fell flat imo

The real drama wasn't George. It was the dad-son(-brother) relationship plot for which George was essential.

Put this up with Master and Commander for films women can never understand.

I thought it was a good film and all but what are there so many threads about it redpilling people? The whole film is just people getting the shit kicked out of them by a faceless enemy. Where's all this masculine heroism that everyone keeps talking about?

Glide ratio for a Spitfire is about 1/14 clean. 4 statute miles would be on the low end for 2,000 AGL.

Does anyone else think the ending would have been so much better if Tom Hardy crashed into the beach and went up like a ball of flames?

I was genuinely moved by the ending.

post tits or gtfo

No because it would've been dumb hollywood patriotism drama. Real soldiers fought to survive.

People that have never seen Band of Brothers I guess.

I'd go see it but I'm worried that like most Nolan movies I'll enjoy it in the theatre then immediately upon exiting realize that much of the film I just watched made no sense.

It's not about me being an American. It's just bad storytelling to include a character that goes nowhere. The blonde kid could just as easily been The Young Hero.
Okay, I'll retract what I said about the parachute. Apparently you needed a hell of a lot more altitude to use it. My bad.
But there's no way they actually glided a real Spitfire to do those shots. No way in hell.

Finally, I heard them say about the Germans on the other side of the hill. But you don't think that anyone else would say "Hey, this might be an alternative to SWIMMING BACK TO ENGLAND." So, go fuck yourself. And yes, I am white.

>It's just bad storytelling to include a character that goes nowhere.
>goes nowhere.
It is pretty clearly because you are an American. Did you not watch the young man forgive the soldier for killing his lifelong friend? Did you not see his father giving him an approving nod for doing so?

Literally says. Line for line and I fucking QUOTE
>careful. see that there? they can be right over there

Not only that they said, they FUCKING said that they were in enemy territory where they found the boat. The only reason they were there is because they had to swim back to shore. And it's was morning meaning the boat washed up in night.

god i hate you. can't you use your fucking head. Do you really need people to explain everything to you?

Americans will never understand

>Fucking George. That kid did nothing but add unnecessary drama.
I agree to some extent in that I didn't get the reason his character was in the film. If there was meant to be a message there, I can't say I got it.
>Cillian Murphy's character..... He was just there to be someone to say "oh no, we shouldn't go back."
More or less, yes. He was meant to be a sign to the civilians as to what they were getting into, and yet how they none the less continued towards Dunkirk
>How fucking far can a Spitfire glide?
Given the right conditions, a long way.
>And why the fuck wouldn't you bail out over the friendly troops?
He was presumably too low. Plus he was able to continue to provide some small amount of air cover and moral to the troops below.

I saw it for the first time a few hours ago and a lot is still sinking in. No vapid women in my audience but a couple thought it was a great idea to bring along a 2 year old infant who screamed loudly throughout.

My only other though is what was the point of the blind man at the end? Harry Styles character says on the train "he couldn't even look at us", the other guy had been made aware the man was blind (he drags his hand over his face) and yet he says nothing. It was a very deliberate scene and yet I didn't get why it was included. It seemed to break up the way the story was being wrapped up at that point.

Probably something about the fact that people had been affected by WW1 and truly understood what it was to have survived, and how that was a victory in itself.

>The Main Character was a chickenshit who tried like hell to get on the first boat he could find..... And what, he's supposed to be the brave hero?
No. Not at all. I think if you came away from this with your impression being that he was meant to be a hero you've completed misunderstood a large part of the film. He was simply meant to be another man trying to get out of there. You saw on multiple occasions acts of every man for himself, Nolan didn't shy away from it.

It was an incredibly desperate situation. His attempts to escape by any means necessary are meant to show that, but throughout he shows little signs that he sees a bigger picture.

No one claims it as a huge victory. The film even reads Churchills speech calling it a "colossal military disaster".

Anyone who thinks this film is meant to depict the events of Dunkirk as a huge victory just doesn't get it. It's about turning a hopeless situation around, pushing through to the end when the odds are against you and the courage of the civilians who helped save so many lives.

Nobody is looking at this movie as a missed opportunity, the first thing my friend said after the movie was; ''lol is this all that can be said or told about the Dunkirk event?''. I'm not talking to British people here because obviously you retards have already made a national treasure of this movie just because it's about Britain, you obviously can't take off your goggles so fuck off.

They could've made an interesting movie about being trapped behind enemy lines and trying to get to the beach, there actually were loads of units who lost radio contact and had to get back to the beach on their own. But no, all Nolan could give us was a hyped up piece of patrician shiit. He has a God complex, he's going so deep it's shit.

>films women and plebians will never understand

>But there's no way they actually glided a real Spitfire to do those shots. No way in hell.
Funny because that's literally what happened during the filming of this movie.

Americans don't understand making films for any other reason than to boast. It's also why they think everyone is always "bragging". They are the most superficial and jealous people on earth.

only in hindsight was it a victory. the movie clearly indicates it's a failure. the soldiers feel ashamed to retreat, churchills speech says it's a collosal disaster

>>Fucking George. That kid did nothing but add unnecessary drama.
>>Cillian Murphy's character..... He was just there to be someone to say "oh no, we shouldn't go back."
I don't understand how anyone can see this movie and not make the connection. Yes, both are pretty pointless on surface, alone. Both justify each other's purpose. How can that not be clear?

If the British lost everyone at Dunkirk the war is over.

ive said it before and ill say it in thos thread too

the only compellong aspect of this movie was the boat story. The mole and air were a blur of men drowning and plane noises. A bunch of fucking around on a beach until the decent torpedo scene and lackluster inside the big boat scene. The air had fucking terrible boring dogfighting, the only manuevers being slow turns left and right, and no one could fucking lead their shots properly, did nolan not do his fucking research?

and the soundtrack, jesus fuck the soundtrack. The constant whirling strings nonstop like holy fuck i could practically see the board room like "okay yeah yeah i know nothing is gonna happen for a few minutes and when it does happen its just gonna be another plane coming in for a run but just whirl the string for a while so there's no dead air" like fuck it felt so out of place, especially ij the opening beach shot.

goddamn this movie fucking sucked

>If the British lost everyone at Dunkirk the war is over.

Yeah, as if they couldn't just find another 300.000 ignorant farm boys to fill the empty spots...

>Yeah, as if they couldn't just find another 300.000 ignorant farm boys to fill the empty spots...

I'm sure that losing all of your experienced army troops would be no problem

its a good thing hitler let them live. Dude literally spared them all. He had a panzer battalion ready to stomp those tired limeys

I honestly can't even tell if people are serious when they say things like this anymore.

Sup Forums has created unironic wehraboos

>I also saw several women checking their phones during the movie. Last night I saw some other user make a thread saying it happened in his showing too, I thought he was just memeing but it's true

Happened to me, too. Some bitch had the brightness on high, you could see it from across the aisle.

tfw you realize all posters in this thread are women

Yeah that worked great in WW1

Shills actually

film from the perspective of the good guys when?

They just made it.

Both most probably.