Hey,non-american anons

Hey,non-american anons.
How many comics companies exists in your country?

Other urls found in this thread:

dbkomik.com/comic/259/caroq
m.youtube.com/watch?v=QxG6RdRfHO4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just a few indie ones barely of note since the big ones died. I don't think we ever had megacompanies like the big two, just regular magazine publishing houses doing comics, which died.

Outside one that translates Italian comics, zero.

Mexibro here and I can't think of anything else other than indie companies.

Everything Sup Forums here sucks cause of red tape and refusing to make content based on anything else other than DF reeeeeeee

Domestic companies specifically founded for publishing comic books? Or just any international publisher whose operations include comic books?

That's sad, at this pace any company that also publish national comics it's okay.

So, in poland there is a lot of weebshit publishers all of which seem to publish mostly shounens and yaoi

Domestic comic market is kind of dead, with only occasional supersized hardcover reprints of 70's and 80's stuff

The rest are just branches of foreigns companies that also happen to publish comic books 98% american, 2% french

Pretty shitty, but you can always find some gems

We have The Viz. We do not need any others.

Elex Media is a big one that publishes the majority of comics since the late 90s here. Majority of those are translated Japanese manga, with a smaller but still big Eurocomic section, and the rest being Chinese/Korean/local comics. I think Elex grew a sister company/subdivision called M&C just to publish Manga & Comics nowadays. There used to be an Eurocomic publisher by the name Indira in the 70s and 80s, but have since sunk/fallen into obscurity.
But after the turn of the millennium, plenty of local comics were made by indie publishers, a trend which continues to this day. No longer reproduced on photocopy paper, local comics now have the same quality as foreign comics.
Try to check out some of our Shonen Jump-esque comic compilations: Kosmik, Shonen Fight, Re:On, Wook Wook, and Sequen.

Found some comics in spanish

Turns out something really does happen in Indonesia. How are indonesian comics?

Mostly looking like manga, but one of the popular/best-selling one takes the story from Mahabarata and Ramayana, with the character's wardrobes resembling wayang puppets.
Taking a loooong time to read though, updates aren't Japan Mangaka tier, obviously.

At least a dozen, though most of them are very small-time

So yeah, this is what Indonesian comics used to be like in the 70s. Big industry, but collapsed in late 80s. Pic is of one of the heroes from this 'classic' era, Gundala Putra Petir (Gundala, son of lightning), which is a speedster that can control lightning. Obvious inspiration from Flash.

In the 90s there's a small surge of locally-made content, one of the memorable heroes from this era is Caroq. He's inspired by Wolverine and Maduran Carok (from where his name comes from - they're traditional warriors from the island of Madura).

Then comes the 2000s and 2010s, which brings us better-organized comic magazines and compilations, such as Sequen here. Shame it sank on the 6th edition.

what is this one about?

Early 2010s, and the comic Garudayana became popular. Set in a Wayang world, plenty of the characters come from Wayang shadowplay scripts such as Mahabarata. And since Garudayana took concepts from the Javanese version of Mahabarata, you get local characters such as the Punakawan group (Semar, Gareng, Petruk, Bagong) that cannot be found in any other versions of Mahabarata.
The story itself follows an OC (meaning not appearing in Mahabarata), Kirana, and her adventure during the events of Mahabarata.

Sequen's a comic compilation, kinda like Shonen Jump. In one edition there's many chapters - but that specific cover is of a Kalimantan (Bornean) girl that is drawn by one of the artists in the magazine.

Sorry, I meant
>In one edition there's many chapters of different stories.

Garudayana's success created a boom in Wayang-themed comics, like this one. This focused on the Baratayuda war part of Mahabarata, with the same characters (but different interpretations/characterizations).

And nowadays, the most hyped-up comics magazine in Indonesia is Shonen Mags, which uses Shonen Jump-esque editorial help. Even the layout is from Japan! But the contents are all local (albeit looking more like manga than comics).

None, most things are independent or webcomics, only if you're very famous or you self-fund your project you're allowed to get one or two graphic novels in a non regular basis, and yet everything is very obscure

looks kind of cool
could you recommend something? I'm pretty sure that some of those titles must have been translated to english

Hah they even have the silly random phrases, looks of very good quality , not a fan of most comics there looking weebish tho

Well, besides those that publish Big Two comics (and some IDW and Image).

Just one. Has 6 series that reach their 50's and 20's.

I heard that they went through re-organization, but everything I've read was absolute complete shit.

Shit, i forgot how good the art in this one is

No idea why the pic got flipped, but posting some more

looks cute, user

Is the one from your pic not good? I like the artstyle

Also a bit of addendum that veers a bit to /m/-tokusatsu: it appears that along with comics, there's been a rise in local Tokusatsu (power rangers/people in costumes fighting other people in costumes genre) production. Pic related even shows a local game featuring Indonesian Tokusatsu characters.

>I'm pretty sure that some of those titles must have been translated to english
I really, really wish this was the case, but I can't find any english translation online. There's plenty of foreign comics getting translated into Indonesian, but very little of the reverse happening.

Also a bit of sad news if you want to look for a copy of Caroq in Indonesian: it's only two editions long, and AFAIK it never got reprinted. It's something of a collector's item now.
BREAKING NEWS. turns out Caroq's got digitized, and it's online. Just be ready to rev up that Google Translate. dbkomik.com/comic/259/caroq

It's not a specific comic, it's a promotional art with all main character from different series.

I don't think art is awful in any of them, at least from what I can remember. But the one about Black Wid... Red Fury (Russian super secret spy agent) had art on par with Ramos which I hated.

Shiiiet those costume designs look legit as fuck, i wish mexico had it's own toku, but if it did it would probably be shit made by televisa

In Argentina:
*Ivrea
*LARP Editores
*Ovni Press
*Sudamericana

L'all of them.

There were about 40 publishers listed in 2012 but most of them only have one or two publications to their names. I'd say there are about 6-10 bigger companies, most of them publishing translated American, Western European and Japanese stuff.

Why only Italian?

Because
m.youtube.com/watch?v=QxG6RdRfHO4

may I also add the bulk of their publication consists on Big Two stuff, especially Marvel
theres also a monthly called Fierro that publishes several stories, like an anthology comic

In Malaysia, we had Gempak, Ujang, Apo - the latter two were gag magazines in the mold of Dandy and MAD, the former was am awesome anthology collection like Shonen Jump, only with local flavour.

We had Ghost Detective, Tale of Jinggo - The Bounty Hunter, Under-18 and all sorts of other stories I used to enjoy. Sadly, over the last decade, well...

where are you from?

There's some local publishers in Puerto Rico, but they're all indie stuff or superhero wannabe stuff. Then there's the children books stuff. Since I live in Puerto Rico, we just get some of what the US gets anyway. The local stuff isn't that great unless it's comedy or newspaper comics like that big feet Jenny Rivera character or that one about a shark. The loca stuff here is literally who tier.

In Canada, most of our talent goes to feed the big 2 in the US (but lots of people stay in Toronto and Vancouver and work remotely)

Chapterhouse Comics has Captain Canuck and some other good stuff like that. Toronto, Vancouver, and Montreal all have big indie scenes too, but I have no idea about publishers