The more I read about Tommy Wiseau the more I feel like he pretty much is Johnny: literally just a really nice...

The more I read about Tommy Wiseau the more I feel like he pretty much is Johnny: literally just a really nice, though weird, guy who got fucked over by circumstance.

He poured his heart and soul (and six million dollars) into his project and all he got for it is people shitting on it since it came out.

maybe he should've done a better job then if he spent so much money and didn't want to get shit on

he was too stupid to realize how bad his movie was gonna be, he deserves it

He's made plenty of money off of it and has acquired a large fan base since then, since he's constantly been touring it for years now, I don't see the problem.

>shitting on it
It's post-ironic now. So bad it's good.

>six million dollars
bullshit, there's no fucking way he spent that much money for the room

i'm assuming his goal was to make a memorable movie. that's what happened, so he succeeded on accident?

>3
Read "The Disaster Artist", it goes into detail about how it's very possible that he spent that much. Including keeping a billboard advertisement for the movie up for FIVE years in LA (most blockbuster movies would have it up for a few months at most) and also buying all of his camera equipment, of which he decided to shoot the film using both film and digital (once again, even larger studios tend to rent equipment because it's much cheaper and the cameras become outdated quickly anyway).

Yea I thought that too, tommy is johnny and Denny is actually Sam. In fairness op, people are right to shit on the movie, its a travesty.

when willl you realize that Tommy Wiseau is such a great actor and genius, that everything thats happened was his plan all along?

The Disaster Artist is simply propaganda to further push that agenda

>keeping a billboard advertisement for the movie up for FIVE years in LA

There is also a line about how the bank teller tells Greg that Tommy's bank account is a "bottomless pit"

Read the book, its hilarious at the start but once you start to get to know tommy it gets kind of disturbing.

In the disaster artist even a measured take on hid behavior portrays him as a psycho narcissist

I legit like The Room.
Not even in a meme way I just think it's entertaining as fuck.
I'd much rather watch The Room than Capeshit #3201.

His movie would have been quickly forgotten if it was actually good.

the funniest part is when greg is living in one of tommy's apartments and tommy starts living with him and installs a pull up bar on gregs door and randomly does pull ups throughout the day

>unironically liking The Room in this kind of way
>that old Sup Forums filename
t. literal autist

He does them in the middle of the night too lel

I don't think someone who can identify AND get triggered by "old Sup Forums file names" has any say in who's autistic.

Gotta stay fit

I actually name my files by pressing buttons randomly like 353538953845 but keep your autism healthy my man.

>just a really nice, though weird, guy
Weird is a a given, nice is debatable. He certaintly has the capacity to be nice, and was very supportive to Greg at times. But he's also incredibly jealous, possessive, and manipulative. Some of Greg's stories are downright disturbing. Tommy also has a reputation of being a complete dick to most people, and had entire crews quit on him because he was so hard to work with.

Johnny is just how he'd liked everyone to see him: a nice guy that everyone loves unconditionally. But it's not reality. He's a complicated guy that has lots of issues. He can be nice when he wants to, but he's very guarded, and comes off as an asshole most of the time.

>who got fucked over by circumstance.
He's an incredibly successful business who has made far more money than any of us ever will. I don't think that's getting fucked over. Even just talking about The Room, it's something that went well for him. He wanted to be an actor, so he made his own movie, and now people love it. Yeah, everyone thinks it's terrible, but that's to be expected when he lacks the self-awareness to realize he made a terrible movie. It's also not as bad as you're framing it, because a lot of people find Tommy's amatuerish attempt at a movie an endering piece of outsider art, and genuinely do appreciate it (not the way he intended, but again, so what?).

Really, his story is inspiring.

any idea how people reacted to the movie in the premiere? the book doesn't go into that

Dude, I wish. I remember getting to the end and feeling so blue-balled at where it stopped. Overall still a great book though.

were does he get all his money anyways

seriously?

drug dealing?

>134x
>old timestamp
nigger that's only 2012

He got some insurance settlement and was part of some shady clothing import business before The Room.

>AND get triggered
When did this happen?

Because you just told me.
LMAAAAAAAOooooooooo!

>that one time when greg gets back to the apartment only to find tommy hanging upside down from the pull-up bar

He became a cult icon which is more than he could have hoped for.

I mean, let's be real. He's a mildly mentally disabled man from some backwater shithole in Poland who speaks broken english and made a movie despite having no idea how to make a movie. But he became kind of a celebrity and has something like a fanbase so he really has no right no complain.

I dont know if Greg even realizes how much of a worthless person he is. His sole reason for existing, besides Puppet Master sequels no one gives a fuck about, is "that guy who knew Tommy Wiseau". He's not a good actor, definitely not a good writer, his actual prose when he's not just transcribing things Tommy might have said is total shit. The way he describes Tommy in the book all comes off as a person who would absolutely not be fine with such a book being written about him.

Basically Greg needs Tommy more than Tommy needs Greg

he was in acting classes for years and never got any better

>Basically Greg needs Tommy more than Tommy needs Greg
Read the book again user

I know haha, demented cunt

His book was a great read, I sense jealousy

>worked his way up from selling toys and trinkets
>eventually started a successful business importing counterfeit and irregular clothes
>also owns a bunch of real valuable real estate in SF
>probably got into real estate with help from Drew Caffrey and Chloe Litzke, two rich people he seems to have weird, probably sexual relationships with
>also insurance settlements from several major car accidents

That's it. People always try to push more "interesting" stories, or say that the above isn't plausible, but it is. He got involved in two very lucrative business (with some help along the way), and worked hard. That's how most successful business make it. And despite being weird and probably having brain damage, Tommy actually seems like a pretty shrewd businessman in Greg's book. He has very little shame and no understanding of boundaries, which would make him good at sales and negotiating, and he's very cheap about business expenses when not trying to show off.

IN the middle of the audiobook now, just got to the part where Greg is basically given a ridiculously cheap apartment in LA by Tommy. The Room would have happened and Tommy would have become (in)famous with or without Greg. Plenty of desperate people in LA, it just happened to be Greg

To me he seems like a dick

I have inside source that knew tommy back in the day.

He married to some white bitch. Apparently, that bitch was into some sick kink shit, and she abused him for her pleasure. Think Venus in Fur and all that. Cuckolding, femdom, humiliation, all the stuff you can think off. She loved humiliating Tommy every day, in every possible way. The guy even told me she forced tommy to suck her bull's cocks. Just plain and simple forced bi cuckolding. He said that tommy didn't do it for money. He truly loved her. That's why some of the stuff ended up in The Room. It was truly a tribute to her. She was loaded, so when she died he got lots of money. And that's how he got money to fund his film.

Okay now keep listening up to the parts where if it wasn't for Greg the entire production of the room would've fallen apart at multiple different points, then return to the thread. No one would've predicted how successful it would be as a cult phenomenon, nor was it likely that they'd been willing to put up with Tommy's shit to help finish it.

>The Room would have happened and Tommy would have become (in)famous with or without Greg.
Probably not. The entire reason Tommy decided to move back to LA and start writing was because of Greg. Their supportive relationship, and Tommy's later jealousy of Greg's early success, drove Tommy to throw himself into acting more seriously than he had before. That's why he wrote Greg into his movie and insisted on hiring Greg to be in the production. They were essentially codependent.

He's DB Cooper.

see

>Puppet Master

There are TEN Puppet Master movies fucking hell

this. greg is a fucking weasel for being such a cunt to tommy and for writing the book. I listened to it on audio in the past couple of days, it's such a self-masturbatory "I'm a california kid, my mom's french, I did this and that, I worked at an Armani store, Tommy was a weirdo despite helping me out immensely, now let me imagine Tommy's past in my head lol, etc etc", like zero gratefulness or regard for Tommy's trust, friendship, privacy, but I guess it's ok since Tommy got mad a couple of times

like, Tommy has fatal flaws, which are being too old and ugly and having no talent whatsoever, plus a weird mix of arrogance and insecurity and zero social skills, but you can tell he went through some tough times, he's rich as fuck, owns real estate and drives a Benz way before Greg ever meets him. If he learned to communicate like a human and had a better accent and had some style and confidence, he could totally be relevant in a real unironic way. He's obviously a hard worker, so if he actually paid attention in class and learned without being arrogant, he could totally be like an independent arthouse director, or maybe even cross over into bigger budget projects once he was established.

Well, good on Greg for being a weasel, I guess, since The Disaster Artist and ensuing money deals are now his highest accomplishment. His Tommy accent is great as well, way better than Franco's.

so tvs concensus is that they love the book that should never have been written because greg is a jerk?

I know you're probably bullshitting, but by the book's accounts, the loved a girl he met, but then she cheated on him. Also, the book mentions several stuff that hints that Tommy had been sexually abused in France and the US and is sexually repressed

The only consensus is that Greg's impression of Tommy in the audiobook is the best part everything else is just shitty opinions from both sides

yes. It's like watching a crime documentary- happy to see it, but don't condone the actions

It's a very unbiased account which also paints a very sympathetic and inspiring perspective of Tommy, so I dunno why people are bitching and saying Greg was making Tommy look completely awful.

its actually very biased. From Gregs point of view, it's Greg > Tommy, when in reality it's Tommy > Greg

This. Greg mentions some messed up things that Tommy has done, but also goes out of his way to mention what a great person he is, how much he appreciates him, and how much he values his friendship. And he doesn't exactly portray himself as an angel, either. The book is about their relationship, and you get both sides of it. It's not a hit piece.

A good indication of how terrible Greg's act of writing the book is Tommy's reaction to it: they're still best friends. Tommy says that he doesn't like some of what's in there, but he still likes Greg. Compare that reaction to how he treated the guys that made Room Full of Spoons: lawsuits and videos calling them terrible people.

But Tommy seems like an asshole
Why is he a lying piece of shit to service staff?

fpbp

All the memorable characters need some bland mofo to write their story for the whole world

Because Tommy learned how to make money, and it's not by indulging liberals with air conditioning, and if his objective at a restaurant is to get a table, he will say anything to some waitress skank to get one. If Tommy was sexually liberated as opposed to repressed and still behaved the way he does, he could be considered BASED

So he was a sperg like you and that is why Sup Forums likes him

is something making you upset, sweetie?

don't act like tommy made all that money himself. a rich woman was taking care of him and she was most certainly the person who gave tommy money to buy all the real estate.

Not really but you seem awefully passive aggressive about internet things again

If anything Tommy's life is a Cinderella story that shits on Hollywood hopefuls. If a catfish can be granted sentience and walk around in a suit it found on a drowned guy and still make it in Hollywood, what is their excuse?

>rich woman
who?
I can't remember the full details, but as I recall, the book mentions Tommy selling toys, working at restaurants, some insurance payout for a burned down store (possibly a scam), Drew Caffrey, and owning real estate

she's listed as a producer on the room. greg wrote about how secretive tommy was about her, they went to their house once. she was either a family member or some type of sugar momma

Tommy, stop.

tomy did not right those he did naht es bullshit

I'm guessing most of that money was spent convincing that chick to pretend to have sex with Tommy boy here. At least she felt the touch of a true patrician.

he is a 61 year old Pole

Because he has delusions about who he is and how important he is
That doesnt not make him sympathetic and somewhat impressive of a figure in chasing his dreams
People are complicated

how the fuck do you know that?

Tommy is PURE

Another thing, Gregs love of Dean comes off as eye rollingly pretentious, where as with Tommy its a genuine love for Dean both as a performer and an american icon.

he is 61

Fucking lies, everybody knows he made his money by selling alien tech to the government.

>his actual prose when he's not just transcribing things Tommy might have said is total shit
>refusing to acknowledge the assistance of his co-writer, Tom Bissell
I'd be shocked if Greg wrote most of the prose himself.

Just got the audiobook of the Disaster Artist.
Nonstop Keks so far.
Tommy is a fucking goon.
He's so lovably incompetent.

he was a dick to the production staff tho

Sounds like you didn't read the book.

Yes but I love him anyway.
It just makes it funnier. He's got such a sense of egotism to him yet he's a complete and total flub.
I've seen people like tommy before. The nutjobs who live in Hollywood, The Room was like if your average hollywood weirdo managed to make a film.

Eccentric, Egotistic, Incompetent.
But I just can't hate him. He's too much of a lovable buffoon.

Anyway how is your sex life?

book ending is 10/10 kino, desu

You sound like a moron.

He sounds like he abused a lot of the cast and crew, especially the women.

Sup Forums likes that
they want to be rich spergs with brain dagame too
but instead they are just spergs

>you sound like a moron
I Unironically like LowTierGod, DSP, too
I know I'm a goon who is misunderstood so I empathize with other failures.

I like dickheads too because I'm a dickhead. I don't care if he abused people I still enjoy him. I think that makes him funnier to be honest.

I don't envy Greg being "best friends" with Tommy. Sure his shenanigans will crack you up but you just can't trust a habitual liar like Tommy.

If he followed with the public's reaction the book would have been depressive as fuck

>that flyer for the room

>that time Greg's friend called their apartment and Tommy freaked out, drove Greg around slowly while yelling at him about trust and how he didn't want him in his life anymore

>Tfw you realize Tommy just wanted to be James dean
>He just wanted to be that badass super cool actor
>So even when the cameras weren't rolling he tried his hardest to be slick
>When he finally achieves success for the Room, it's praise is disingenuous and ironic
>Instead of the cool actor he dreamed to be he was the lovable laughing-stock
>But as it was the only success he's ever had and only praise he's ever gotten
>He went along with it anyway and now embraces it

No he doesn't get that the paise is ironic at all.
He is still not in on the joke.

Oh he knows.
He's just the type of guy who instead of admitting he made a bad movie, would call it avant garde and a deconstruction of film, and act like it was all intentionally supposed to be jarring

It's completely ironic, retard. The so bad it's good is a perfect example of am ironic statement. Look up the meaning of the buzzwords you spout before shitposting.

>read thread

So the relationship between Tommy and Greg is just like the friendship between Johnny and Mark?

shieeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Say what you want about the man he created something so bad that it's more memorable than half than anything coming out today.

The Room will still be talked about and laughed at 50 years from now. I can't say that about Captain America: Civil War.

>Spent millions on unnecessary film equipment but the guy playing Chris R had to intimidate him into replacing a pair of 60 dollar shoes
>Mark's character was named after Matt Damon because Tommy mixed up the name
>Sestero was never certain how to interpret Tommy wanting the character who is best friends with Johnny but fucks his fiancee in secret to be played by him
The book is great. Some find the parts where Sestero talks about himself to be boring but I do think they have a purpose. Without the parts where Sestero opens up about himself it would be very easy to interpret the whole thing as a cash grab hit piece about Tommy.
Greg straight up even says at one point that he needed Tommy as much as Tommy seemed to need him.

That book is actually pretty funny. Sestero's no Shakespeare but the guy's got bants for days.

goddammit user I was laughing already but this rekt me

>if it wasn't for Greg the entire production of the room would've fallen apart
According to Greg