In one of the most widely debated decisions of the war, the Germans halted their advance on Dunkirk...

>In one of the most widely debated decisions of the war, the Germans halted their advance on Dunkirk... Field Marshals Gerd von Rundstedt and Günther von Kluge suggested that the German forces around the Dunkirk pocket should cease their advance on the port and consolidate, to avoid an Allied breakout. The army was to halt for three days, which gave the Allies sufficient time to organise the Dunkirk evacuation and build a defensive line. Despite the Allies' gloomy estimates of the situation, with Britain even discussing a conditional surrender to Germany, in the end more than 330,000 Allied troops were rescued
so it was bad decision making by the germans and not civilian boats which saved the day?

>movie with no interesting characters
>no real plot except people trying to survive
>music was typical nolan/zimmerman, with fast tempo music and multiple cuts during action scenes
>focuses on some kid that hits his head for some reason
6/10 movie imho

Other urls found in this thread:

lfexaminer.com/theaIntl.htm#CANADA
youtube.com/watch?v=wbKYbLUkIpk&feature=youtu.be&t=1h32m6s
youtube.com/watch?v=3gPFy89q_Do
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump

if the Germans didn't halt their advance at dunkirk WW2 would've gone alot different, crushing the brits at Dunkirk would've eroded the morale to unprecedented levels

Typical American response.

he's right you know

>so it was bad decision making by the germans and not civilian boats which saved the day?

Both, really. The Germans inexplicably halting bought time, but without every fisherman, ferryman, and pleasure boater along the coast coming to the rescue the army still would have been lost. For all of Britain's famed naval power, it had never envisioned a situation where it would have to pick up a whole army off a beach.

ginger pilot and the old guy steering the boat were interesting, prove me wrong

>bad decision making by the germans
Hitler considered Britain to be a Nordic sister-nation and offered to make peace one month after cancelling the wholesale slaughter and imprisonment of the 400 thousand allied troops. It was his naivety that cost him the war and his belief that the English could be allies.

Churchill repaid the favour by firebombing thousands of German civilians in Dresden and elsewhere. But never forget that the nazis were ebil and we're teh gud guys :-DDDD

Never forget the pure evil of the Anglo

sup /his/

You're half right. A lot of the major defeats from Germany could have been prevented with better planning, but hindsight is 20/20
They would have had a fuck-all time invading england though. And a conditional surrender would have likely just been england conceding europe.

American and/or female detected.

>didn't see it 70
>rates it 6/10

this board is George Carlin-tier comedy

>>didn't see it 70
huh, OP here, I saw it in the 70mm format

Name the theater

This isn't your fucking blog

Hitler naively thought sparing English troops would enable a peace treaty
Of course Britain was so committed to the war it was considering that they were willing to combine with France into one country to keep the war going

just drove fucking 7 hours round trip to see this movie in imax 70mm and good god am i disappointed
the first 15 minutes were good but then nothing else happened the entire movie
>oh wow we're getting bombed again oh no
just non stop action it was so fucking boring i didnt care about any of the characters of storylines and i have no clue why i bothered seeing this in imax 70 its not visually impressive at all

why? are you autistic?

it was a theatre in Canada

I'm American and I loved it. Almost cried at the end.

there was nothing moving in this movie
just trying too hard to sound epic

Sounds like you saw it in Lie-max. Kys

your honest opinion just sucks bro

are you mad because i didn't like the movie?

according to this site, I did see it in real 70mm and not liemax, the theatre i went to had format code 1570
lfexaminer.com/theaIntl.htm#CANADA

I saw it in 70 today. Is it really better?

Im watching hacksaw ridge for the first time on hbo and after seeing dunkirk, this shit is like watching a cartoon. The level of gore makes the violence unbelievable compared to dunkirk even though that had no blood.

The character building complaint about dunkirk is stupid, hacksaw has the characters converse about ma n pa back home after watching their entire regiment wiped out and it seems unfitting.

Butt hurt frenchie

>make peace with the nation which would literally invade every neighbouring country over the course of WW2
>the same country who's government has reneged on every international treaty it was signing

Yeah, totally reasonable. But it's okay guys they don't want to genocide us, we might as well trust them!

Fucking wheraboos

>nameless characters, sometimes literally
>no really, who are these people
>tell me anyone's name in this movie
>15 lines of dialogue in entire movie
>non-linear storyline
>lets queue up for the bombers
>lets have tea and toast
>muh sacrifices

tell me how this is so highly rated

tits or gtfo

>nu/tv/ unironically enjoyed this movie
It's fucking garbage and you know it. Nolan hasn't had a clue since The Dark Knight Rises, and this was the climax of it.

Typical americlap bait ebin action scenes of faceless cgi soldiers getting blown up 100 ways from sunday. Once the shock factor of the action scenes wears off the movie becomes a grind, because the writers have made no effort to create empathy for the main characters, with probably less than two dozen lines of dialogue, and absolutely no information on who they are or why we care about them any more than muh soldiers. They're just as irelevant as the faceless cgi blobs and extras placed throughout the film.

Also the entire premise of the movie is bullshit. The evacuation was relatively peaceful considering that only about 3500 british soldiers actually died in Dunkirk. The real casualties were the French on the front lines who we didnt even see, because that might have made for a remotely interesting movie.

The only so called emotional part is when they get back, and its supposed to be all uplifting and shit, but again, the movie basically made no effort here. They basically showed what happened in real life and called it a day, the emotional ending basically being that people were dying and now they arent so horray for us. It's a cheap exploitation of a historical event for box office $$ and this type of movie has sadly become commonplace thanks to retards who will gladly eat it up because muh dead soldiers.

>only men will appreciate this movie
can you actually provide reasons why the movie is good? or are you a meme-spouting idiot that blindly follows whatever Sup Forums says

circumciseés detected

plane pleb here

can someone tell me why hardy's character didnt just jump out with a parachute above the ally occupied beach instead of flying into enemy territory?

tia

>newfag misusing memes
imagine my shock
this, the only named character is that George kid who smashed his head open
Oh yeah and btw the people who made this have no clue what happened at dunkirk. There are blatant historical inaccuracies that anyone who knew fucking anything about world war 2 would know.
Example:
>Britain never even came close to abandoning them like the movie said. The whole 1 ship a day thing was a straight up lie.
What the fuck is that supposed to mean
plane would crash into troops being evacuated. Also he was too low and spitfires had no ejector seats

you are american, aka circumcised

I'm a Brit you faggot. It's American retards who are fawning over this movie

lol im italian

oh ok

why didnt he land in the water then, like the other guy?

>t. salty mussolinifag
doesn't change the fact that dunkirk is a bad movie

water was full of boats

youtube.com/watch?v=wbKYbLUkIpk&feature=youtu.be&t=1h32m6s

> About being in the moment than characters stories
> Didn't care that characters were flat; see above
> Not heavily reliant on action but suspense and terror
> Looked very good on 70mm
> About the visuals than dialogue expositions Nolan is known for (in a bad way)

Cons:

> hokey ending with reading of Churchill speech in newspaper
> the timeline of events was very off and did not match up
> too much of the music score

7/10

>Germans started bombing the RAF's supporting structures near the coast
>Changes strategy to start bombing London where civilians are.
>Uk does the same in Dresden
OMG DA EVIL ANGLOS >;D

> forgetting that the Nazi's started the war

To be fair Stalin also naively ignored the German army massing on his borders and his inaction cost the Soviets millions of lives as well as losing basically all of their industrial centres in the west, so it's not like it was just one side being total idiots.

Dunkirk could have used a little more. The amount of violence in Saving Private Ryan was good because the movie was good, and Dunkirk would have been the same.

The best part of the movie was following Tommy trying to escape Dunkirk from start to finish and finally getting out. He tried multiple ways to get off and each time failed, and it just showed you how futile escape was for those men.

hitler would never win the war. the best he would get is forcing an armistice after winning in france. after that peace an insurrection from his occupied territories would grow into a mass revolution in a decade and collapse his shitty empire.

most forms of governments do not last a long time but fascism is dependent on war economies to survive. peacetime doesn't suit a command economy.

I don't understand. Why didn't the germans just fucking slaughter them when they had the chance? Why? I mean they couldn't possibly have gotten a better chance in the future so why didn't they do it? It's fucking retarded

>armor and artillery overextended and in poor repair
>troops exhausted
>french putting up a surprisingly strong resistance
>british forces trapped with nowhere to go, sitting ducks on the beach
>u-boats maintaining good coverage of the channel, no helpful amount of rescue is coming
>huge overestimation of capabilities of Lufwaffe
They halted to give their army a breather, re-restablish supply lines, and gather intel on the details of the french defense around Dunkirk. In the meantime they had full confidence that the Luftwaffe would be able to slaughter the trapped British from the air, since their submarines were preventing any real help from coming. What they didn't account for was:
>RAF being gud
>civilian boats being utilized to reach the trapped soldiers

>shills get btfo
>they abandon thread

rly makes you think

Leaf here, 6/10 at best and yes I saw it in IMAX. The only person I gave even half a fuck about the entire time was Tom Hardy. The rest of it was like a documentary except without any semblance of realism and no accounts from anyone who was there. The action was mostly so muted it failed to capture interest, and the entire film felt about 45 minutes longer than it was. The entire plot with the guys on the boat went pretty much exactly fucking nowhere and if they'd replaced it with some cuts to the Frenchmen struggling to hold the line it might have been better. God forbid we have anyone speak french and need subtitles though, murrican audiences might lose their shit.

I'd unironically go see Valerian again before seeing this again because at least that was an entertaining trainwreck of a movie, whereas this was just dull.

There was still a massive army to the south you knuckle dragger

I swear I thought this was some anonymous blogger talking about what it's like on Sup Forums before I realized what it was an excerpt from. I was like "damn this guy's on point".

this is the only thread about this movie? did it suck or something?

It was a technical success but honestly pretty boring and historically inaccurate.

>so it was bad decision making by the germans
>bad decision making

Don't you mean good? Advancing at Dunkirk would mean leaving their flanks exposed to the french who were still fighting, the generals decided to wait for the supplies to catch up and advance to Paris, the only bad decision making here was Goring who thought wasting a gorillion planes on this operation fighting the RAF near their home turf was a fantastic idea

Hitler had jack shit to do with the halt order, it came from his two generals, not the austrian autist, he just said "ok".

Yes my child. The only things worthwhile in life are discussed here on an anonymous weaboo imageboard. If it isn't discussed here, it might as well not exist.
Suck down that ambrosia, being blissfully content in your cocoon of ignorance, knowing you'll be happy as long as you don't step foot out your own door if someone on the internet doesn't tell you it's a fun idea. Take solace knowing you'll always be right as long as you agree with strangers about things you never wanted to try yourself.

You little cocksucker I can't wait for school to start back up again.

Learn to use the catalog, newcunt.

i voted for trump and hate sjw's and reddit because Sup Forums says so haha!

No you see it's the polar opposite on Sup Forums we only talk about how much we hate bad movies and this thread is the best OP could come up with to be contrarian.

This is what made you lose an election to a fucking meme.

lol damage control

they were likable, which many characters failed to be in the movie. I saw some speculation that the lack of development was supposed to show how expendable soldiers were or something like that. I thought Nolan almost pulled off the balance of development but failed to really give anyone a satisfying story beginning and end, except the pilots

how is my post damage control? I watched it in 70mm, are you stupid or just pretending to be?

I think he's actually both.

>the timeline of events was very off and did not match up
What do you mean by this?

The music score also blended in quite well with the effects I thought.

yeah but the box office money is paying for shills to spam threads about how bad it was with >t. butthurt amerilard/frenchie/another strawman

>I'm done, Kirk
What did he mean by this?

Ha so what was the point of the convoluted narratives? Why does Nolan have to do some weird time shit with his movie? Literally added nothing to this film. Myabe it helped the pacing, but it made it unnecessarily convoluted and almost asking for some sort of twist/climax where it all comes together, but it makes nothing of it.

Germans never wanted to eradicate the English. They didn't want to kill them at all, because they fit in their plan. That's why they showed mercy and Dunkirk. That's why they only did bombing runs on them and didn't do a full on invasion.

bad Sup Forums revisionism

The halt at Dunkirk was mostly Goring convincing Hitler that the luftwaffe could subdue the pocket (if Hitler wanted to let them go as a peaceful gesture, why attack them by air so much?), confusing strategic objectives, bad command & control, and overextended supply lines.

Also Germany deserved Dresden. Do it again Harris.

Where did you drive to senpai-a-lam?

t. mad kraut surrender cuck

>Start war
>WAAA WHY WILL PEOPLE NOT SURRENDER AND LIVE UNDER MY RULEEEEE WAAA

DO

IT

AGAIN

BOMBER

HARRIS

From The Art Of War
>"To a surrounded enemy, you must leave a way of escape"
>"Show him there is a road to safety, and so create in his mind the idea that there is an alternative to death. Then strike."

Your such an effete girly bitch who pits the same pic on the same thread every time. Are you the Basterd grand-child of a German soldier and a French slut and hold a grudge?

The old guy was the biggest non-character in the entire movie.
'No, we must be stronk 4 Britain'
'That guy might be alive, we must risk our lives because muh son died in army!!'
'I represent the entire British pplz so I am VARY honorable'

redpill

also must watch youtube.com/watch?v=3gPFy89q_Do

Hacksaw Ridge was so much better than Dunkirk it's not even funny. It has actual characters who, even though they appear like shitty caricatures at the beginning actually evolve and change, decent action and actual suspense, as well as a clear beginning and end. Dunkirk had some better cinematography though, but that's about it.

They're COMPLETELY different movies, you may as well start telling me that The Lion King is better than Black Swan.

You're not very good at reading people. Try view it again and see how he reacts to situations.

where do your kind come from? are you even white?

They are both war movies.
The Lion King is a cartoon and Black Swan is about ballet.
What did you mean by this?

Dunkirk is about an event not a person desu. This isn't Pearl Harbor

>after ALL that shit, Tom Hardy's pilot character just gets captured by the Nazis and probably killed by firing squad or something

Its not fair

Nazis were subscribers of the Geneva Convention, surrendered prisoners of wars were treated pretty well.

Japs weren't on the other hand and prisoners didnt enjoy it so well

western front famalam, luftwaffe dudes were especially nice to their opponents bc some bs about we wuz knights of the sky n chivalry n shiet

Japanese people were insane back then, go figure

are you that guy who went to the alt-right rally to show off you epic memes and got shoved around by actually nazis who recognized what a gigantic pussy you are?

germans killed 3 million Soviet POW's

because the russians killed the germans too.

Far less despite taking more POW's than the Germans did

Not at the start of the war to an RAF pilot they wouldn't have. He would have been treated pretty well all things considered.

>implying getting caught wasn't part of his plan

Baneposting really is the eternal meme isn't it?

>German soldiers round Farrier while his spitfire is burning.
>One of them looks at him and says "you're a big guy"
>Farrier says "For you.", as he is hurriedly moved away off the beach.
>screen goes to black.

was it pottery?

Most died after supply lines to the camps were bombed by the allies, hence the emaciated, typhus ridden corpses. In some cases the camps themselves were bombed by the allies, unwittingly.
As the noose was tightening on Germany, the POW's were the first to suffer

awful damage control. They deliberately starved the Soviet POW's then cried when the Soviets did the same to them. Western POW's weren't starved or massacred (as often anyway)