this entire movie is cringe...

Other urls found in this thread:

collativelearning.com/mybb_1401/Upload/showthread.php?tid=1589
youtube.com/watch?v=DjucUUXx0uc
youtube.com/watch?v=cd2DI0nzeoU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>adam sandler

thats why

Adam Sandler has played a "retard" in every movie since Billy Madison.

literal retard in Punch Drunk Love

its supposed to be a take on the adam sandler character in the real world

I know a guy raised by three women who is exactly like his character.

This movie is a masterpiece. PTA set out to make a dumb Adam Sandler comedy and accidentally made one of the best films of the 21st century.

This movie is Kino, y'all are fucking underage.

Agreed, if I remember correctly, the entire film is a metaphor for Superman.

why is it a masterpiece?

>implying Superman is a retard

>I know a guy raised by three women who is exactly like his character.
You know me?

Have you not seen it?

It's a film with layers. It's very anxious and desperate, which are difficult feelings to convey in traditional settings. A lot of the actors didn't really understand what the film was even supposed to be like until PTA showed them the song "He Needs Me" from the 80s Popeye movie.

It might help to watch other PTA films first, this one is pretty difficult honestly. Boogie Nights is a good place to start, or Magnolia. Or you could watch the films it was influenced by, A Woman is a Woman being the main one.

PTA
Seymour Hoffman
Adam autistic spazzing out after calling a phone sex line
Adam Sandler autistic plan to go on a vacation
the score

Oh forgot the main thing actually. It's a fucking Adam Sandler movie, and its GOOD. That alone should make it a masterpiece.

It makes you have to reevaluate Sandler's whole filmography. His brand of "comedy" is actually pretty terrifying and sad when seen through this lens.

this movie is complete shit.

>It's a film with layers.

like lasagna... its got layers yo

i have. i liked it
>which are difficult feelings to convey in traditional settings.
no
>A lot of the actors didn't really understand what the film was even supposed to be like until PTA showed them the song "He Needs Me" from the 80s Popeye movie.
so what?
>It might help to watch other PTA films first
ive seen them all
>this one is pretty difficult honestly
llol how old are you?
you are a faggot

>His brand of "comedy" is actually pretty terrifying and sad when seen through this lens.

I watched The Waterboy the other day. It's not too funny, but a lot of what're supposed to be jokes are great character defining moments. The movie works better as a drama.

If you liked it, why the fuck are you replying?

Exactly, the man is borderline psychotic. His movies are straight up not funny a lot of the time, but there is a deep sadness about him that I find intriguing. Robbie Collins' review of Pixels is pretty much mandatory watching for anyone interested in analyzing Sandler.

/our guy/

One of the best Superman films

because user said it was a masterpiece

Hits a little too close to home, huh?

"It really looks like Hawaii"

>Robbie Collins' review of Pixels is pretty much mandatory watching for anyone interested in analyzing Sandler.
I gotta watch that. I find polarizing/infamous figures like Sandler, Zack Snyder, Seth McFarlane, and Michael Bay very interesting. They're all talented, but their talents aren't utilized well and their works are often misguided.

Adam sandler is pure hatred. Saw billy madison and spanglish the other day... The guy really doesn't wanna be there. It's like he hates himself, but hates us all even more.

Really interesting character

explain this Superman shit

Agreed, polarizing figures are generally the most interesting. Every once and a while, totally inept filmmakers somehow tap into the zeitgeist and produce something incredible. Seth Rogen's film Observe and Report is somehow genuinely amazing, for similar reasons to Sandler's.

Also, while we're on Michael Bay, Pain and Gain is surprisingly pretty great as well.

Here's a good analysis.

collativelearning.com/mybb_1401/Upload/showthread.php?tid=1589

>Pain and Gain is surprisingly pretty great as well.
keep meaning to watch that and the Bad Boys movies.

The entire time I watched the movie, I couldn't help but wait for the big number to play.
>The color grading.
>The goofy blue suit.
>The slow crescendos that fade away instead of lead into a real piece.
>The romance that teases by almost having a real dance number.
>Scenes where the character is so alone that shutting everything off and putting a spotlight on him in the dark would have worked perfectly.
>The situations carrying edge-of-your-seat adrenaline and then going somber right away.
It was like teasing me with a musical but never giving it to me. The problem and resolution were simple and well-executed as well. 9/10 for me, mostly because Adam Sandler was not the actor that should have lead.

>It's a masterpiece

THAT'S THAT!

shut the fuck

no why don't you shut

DID YOU JUST SAY GO FUCK MYSELF? THAT WASN'T GOOD. YOU'RE DEAD

THIS IS WHAT YOU GET FOR BEING A PERVERT

Now say that's that, before I beat the hell from you.

I HAVE SO MUCH STRENGTH IN ME, YOU HAVE NO IDEA. I HAVE A LOVE IN MY LIFE. IT MAKES ME STRONGER THAN ANYTHING YOU CAN IMAGINE

PTA's got a knack for dialogue

THAT'S THAT.

so cringe haha XD

Adam Sandler's performance was fine and it goes to show how unfunny his humor is when a movie isn't edited to give off a lighthearted silly vibe. He accidentally created a very complex and interesting character, just look at the scene where he's at the payphone in Hawaii. It would be played for laughs in any other Sandler production, but PTA doesn't edit for comedy so it comes off like Barry Egan is a very emotionally disturbed and maladjusted person. Same goes for the scene when he starts crying in front of his wife's husband, it should be funny based but it comes off as agonizingly pathetic. It's like watching a sitcom with the laugh track removed.

And I understand where you're coming from, the movie seems very musical and it reminded me a bit of La La Land.

this is dumb as fuck.

I honestly found the payphone scene incredibly funny. Egan is the type of character who tries to push everything down (though he's obviously Jewish, his personality is incredibly Irish, even his name is clearly a reference to Kubrick's Barry Lyndon). When he has moments of "release", like breaking the glass door or yelling at his sister, we actually feel relieved for him because at least he's getting his emotions out, despite obviously showing poor impulse control, he's showing more confidence and self-expression.

>people forget this film is a deconstruction of an Adam Sandler film
He isn't retarded he has Aspergers

the film has revolutionary cinematography. The opening scene, with Sandler tucked away in the corner of a large warehouse in the background of the frame perfectly encapsulates the closed-off, restrained nature of the character. It's a small thing but if you keep an eye on how Sandler's character is framed by each scene it does a great job of portraying the character's arc and how he opens up to the world or becomes closed off from it

youtube.com/watch?v=DjucUUXx0uc

PTA said he just wanted to make an Adam Sandler comedy.

how much better would this have been with wakem finix

PTA is usually dishonest in his interviews, he likes to fuck with critics who ask him things.

>Paul Thomas Anderson first announced that his follow-up to Magnolia (1999) would be an Adam Sandler comedy at a press conference at the Cannes Film Festival. The news was greeted with laughter by the assembled press. When "Punch-Drunk Love" eventually played at Cannes, Anderson won the Best Director Palm d'Or, and months later, Adam Sandler was nominated for a Golden Globe.

>During promotional interview for Magnolia (1999), a British journalist asked director Paul Thomas Anderson which actors he would like to work with in future. Anderson replied that he would like to work with Adam Sandler and Daniel Day-Lewis. The journalist believed Anderson was joking, because the two actors are from such different backgrounds and have very different acting styles. However, Anderson's next two films did indeed feature these two actors in the lead roles (this film starring Sandler, and There Will Be Blood (2007) starring Day-Lewis).

never doubt him

And it turned into a complete deconstruction. Everything has a harsh realistic consequence when he spergs out like in a typical adam comedy and it isnt played for laughs.

Imagine being OP. Jesus christ. "Trying" to watch a movie but its off-beat tone makes you uncomfortable and annoyed so you run to Sup Forums to quickly let everyone know

Phillip Seymour Hoffman, AS whiny voice used at an advantage here, kinda heartwarming

The love interest in this movie was waiting material

>tfw no cutie who wants to coax you out of your autistic self-cucking shell

As are most directors. The Coen Brothers are fucking hilarious in interviews. When they made the Man Who Wasn't There, they just fucking talk about hair lol.

Dude pudding lol.

the movie is worth it just for this scene

not to mention the 10/10 cinematography and score

>Adam Sandler plays a literal retard

Yes, he has mental issues and anxiety , probably because he grew up in such a family this doesn't make the movie good or bad really..

*loud banging and telepone sounds

Thanks doc.

How can someone make something like Boogie Nights and then produce this?

>Adam Sandler has played a "retard" in every movie since Billy Madison.

He is a retard in real life as well.

>literally me

youtube.com/watch?v=cd2DI0nzeoU

>all the cuck comments on this

This film made me want to race mix for some reason....

I know, it's like the guy never makes a bad film.

CAKE! everybody loves cakes!

cakes have layers

Nice post, brother. Couldn't agree more

>zeitgeist
Found the yuppie

Sandler isn't as bad as you make it out to be. Not every cheap comedy flick has to be kino.