Who is the world's greatest living cartoonist?

Who is the world's greatest living cartoonist?

Uh those are comics not cartoons you posted.

Crumb and Stan Sakai are also strong contenders

Please tell me you're joking.

Watterson.

Tex Avery or John K.
>inb4 cans without labels

Shit I might give it to Aragones.

tex has been dead for 36 years.

Out of the four you posted, probably Sergio Aragoes based on longevity, character of personality, and style.

He's just amazingly good.

why are they called cartoonists if they make comics?

Gee, time fly's huh?
I actually used to be a good friend of Tex before he started making cartoons, believe it or not.

And I say that with no insult towards the other 3. Aragones is almost in humanely productive and talented.

i don't.

That's fine

A cartoonist is someone who writes and draws their own materiel

Comics evolved from cartoons, meaning single illustrations not animation

What's it like to be 100 years old on Sup Forums?

unless you're nearing 100 years old there is no way that's possible.

so i don't get the joke, dude.

>tfw six months ago I would have said Darwyn Cooke

My vote goes to Kyle Baker!

>There are senior citizens browsing Sup Forums, right now
How did your life turn out this way?

steve purcell, chuck jones, tex avery

oh sorry didn't read the question correctly

i think steve purcell's alive though

Aragones from that list. Is he still the fastest pencil?

I'd say Stan Sakai. Crumb lost his mind when he discovered groupies.

I have rarely seen someone who can draw so effortlessly as Aragones. And he's incredibly approachable and friendly, at least in my encounters.

An that feels like cheating using scrooge

I guess Jeff Smith

Bone is still one of my favorite series to re read

Still missed out on his other series that he did

But I did do d his captain marvel graphic novel and I loved that one

Chris Onstad

Waterson's awesome, but he quit (rightfully, as it's his call) so I'd say he forfeited his right to the title. ()

Don Rosa's stuff is great, but he's not the creator of the characters he uses in his most celebrated work; I guess the "greatest cartoonist" should personally come up with the characters that elevate him to the top? And he's also retired ()

Aragones is extremely unique and consistent but, among all 4 in OP's he's the one whose work I most strongly believe was made for an specific context/generation. It's very, very good, but I've always had trouble recommending him to new readers (, , , )

Sakai is a fucking master storyteller and his work is timeless, but his art has never been up to the level a master cartoonist should have to be considered the greatest. I'd vote for him otherwise, but I do believe the technique is important, and he's the first to admit he simply isn't good enough in that respect. Still, considering the shit standards we have today, he's more than qualified (, )

Crumb is a niche, but true genius, and he lacks the accesible, universal appeal of pretty much everybody else in this list. Tumblr would freak if he was crowned, which may or may not be a plus for his candidature (, )

I love Purcell since his LucasArts days, but he simply hasn't done enough as a full cartoonist/author to be a prospect. He's also an neutered/institutionalized Pixar artist now ()

Kyle Baker's experimental streak is kind of a bit too much for me lately. I love his early stuff up to the early 2000s though ()

Jeff Smith is the strongest candidate in conventional terms, I'd say. His art and storytelling are flawless, but he's kind of winding down and losing his punch lately storywise (, )

RASL is pretty ok though the artwork is somewhat the highlight, while Bone would still have been a great story without Smith's demiurge-tier skills