What's Sup Forums's opinion of Grant Morrison?

What if WB got him to write the DCeu films?

Other urls found in this thread:

gamefaqs.com/boards/206-comics-and-graphic-novels/69806438
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

He hasn't written a single script that made it onto the screen. This thread is pontless, there's no answer.

Grant Morrison lacks originality.

I love him, he's my favorite comic writer. He doesn't seem to be a good fit for Hollywood though, not sure why.

Just fuck off back to Sup Forums, please.

His ideas aren't anything new outside of comics.

It's not going to happen because Grant can't write scripts that bring wider audiences in.

The only way his stuff makes its way onto the screen is via Gerard Way's music videos.

Studios thought that BvS would be too complex for audiences.

Snowpiercer had 20 minutes cut to make sure the movie "will be understood by audiences in Iowa… and Oklahoma."

Do you really think they would make a big budget brand movie (we need dem sequels, boy!) that isn't as simple as "bad guys are bad and good guys beat them with fists"?

Ranges from some fantastic work like Animal Man and All-Star Superman, to pretentious pseudoscience trash when he's not reined in. I really don'r understand the love for Flex Mentallo when it's all incredibly simple ideas presented as revelations draped in a coating of BUT SUPERHEROES GUYS

His Batman is shit

But that literally what he was hired at dc to do. And it worked pretty well.

Look at JLA or Animal Man or Doom patrol. They even made him the official "reboot guy" his whole shtick was dusting off some old crap and letting it sell again.

The Invisibles
The Filth
Seaguy
Joe the Barbarian
Nameless
Doom Patrol
Flex Mentallo
Arkham Asylum
We3
Annihilator
not to mention enthralling and captivating takes on Superman, Batman, X-Men, and Animal Man.

yes, Grant Morrison lacks originality.

Don't forget Multiversity, Klaus...

he's a good comic book writer, mediocre non-fiction writer, and i bet an atrocious prose writer. if he can hone the magic as he did for All-Star Superman, he can definitely be a to-go guy in Hollywood. since his strengths lie in serials, i'd rather he take the plunge to television and not films. Joe the Barbarian and We3 would also make stellar films or series. Nameless, too.

how's Klaus? i can't bring myself to read a comic about Santa Claus, stellar writer or not. Multiversity was a miss for me. i dug the Pax Americana issue but not much else. it just wasn't my kind of thing.

>Grant can't write scripts that bring wider audiences in.

Literally what?

I know you're 16 and you the MCU got you into comics but this is literally how Morrison made his name. Animal Man and Doom Patrol were both reboots of characters most readers had barely even heard of and they were both MONSTER successes. Then he fixed the X-Men. Then he fixed the JLA.

>Studios thought that BvS would be too complex for audiences.

They just said this to preemptively guard against critics because they knew it was shit.

>Snowpiercer had 20 minutes cut to make sure the movie "will be understood by audiences in Iowa… and Oklahoma."

This never happened.

He's talking about movie scripts, not comic scripts.

Also Morrison only wrote 26 out of 89 issues of the Animal Man revival.

And that's why idiots in Sup Forums still ask about lex motivations.

Johns won't help his "friend". He took the Batman gig, even when there was at least 10 people in DC that could do a better job.

i'd rather Grant go the original material route, like Sinatoro, if that gets made. there are enough superhero movies and tv series out anyway.

Klaus is a simple and predictable story, but I loved it. There's no deep philosophical meta bullshit, just a hero that tries to do good and a villain who's an asshole.

Fantastic

Klaus is great but it does feel like the latest in Morrison's line of LOOK I CAN WRITE DUMB FUN COMICS PLEASE HOLLYWOOD RETURN MY CALLS

Although the art is stellar and the tone is light and the story is tight so it's not as desperate as Annihilator.

aw, i like his "deep philosophical meta bullshit." kinda got bored with straight up hero stories a while back and only read them these days if a stellar writer like Moore writes them, which is unlikely these days. i usually reread All Star Superman when i get a hankering for a hero tale, as i find that one to be infinitely rereadable. i think i'll pass on Klaus. thanks for responding, though.

Klaus is definitely Moz at his least deep philosophical meta bullshit

After movies flop, Sup Forums's defense would be that normies are too stupid to understand them.

We3 would be a fucking crazy movie

Setting aside that this is complete bullshit, the idea that Hollywood rejects someone because they don't have new ideas is hilarious.

Except based on the neo-Sup Forums posts I see about Morrison it would probably be accurate.

>Studios thought that BvS would be too complex for audiences.

You mean butthurt DC fans said this afterwards to explain the failure, right?

We3 would make more sense as an anime desu considering the heavy manga influence.

Come on, you have to try harder than this.

how has his tenure as Heavy Metal editor-in-chief been going? has the second issue been published? any good stories there or the first one?

>Morrison's line of LOOK I CAN WRITE DUMB FUN COMICS PLEASE HOLLYWOOD RETURN MY CALLS

I love Morrison but this is sadly accurate. He really, really wants to make it in Hollywood.

I think Mark Millar was a homunculus made by Alan Moore to fuck with Morrison by being so successful with movie adaptations.

That's an interesting idea. I wonder if Morrison has ever considered that, or an American animated work.

>thinking about Morrison having to sit through BvS because of his loyalty to DC and love for Batman and Superman

We really let him down guys

I never really liked Heavy Metal to being with, and Morrison hasn't really seemed to change much yet. The stories in the first one seemed like the usual Heavy Metal crap.

>He really, really wants to make it in Hollywood.
nothing wrong with that. he's a writer. why not write for the largest potential audience he can and for the most money possible?

Annihilator is made specifically for the medium of comics though.

I'm glad we agree on that.

yeah, i've never been much a fan of the magazine either. just thought he might have changed its course somewhat. if it's more of the same, i guess i'll skip that, too.

It's no different than non-Morrison heavy Metal. A good deal of the stories are even continuing from before when he took over.

They weren't monster successes though.

>Then he fixed the X-Men.
Greatest Morrison meme of them all.

Are you talking about the fanboys who say everything Morrison is "too deep for you," the people who say that Morrison isn't as deep as people assume, or the ones that criticize Morrison's non-thematic elements?

he only knows how to write about cool ideas, he fucking sucks at characters or plot. he just wont spend time with them, hell drop some exposition bits here and there and expect the audience to accept it.

I think he's too meta for Hollywood flicks

i wouldn't say he doesn't know how to write plot, more like it's secondary to him as a writer. at times, it does lessen the overall reading experience for people who expect a straight A to B story with little shenanigans throughout. however, for people who can appreciate a little oddity with their stories, Morrison does introduce concepts ,themes, and ideas the average superhero comic skirts. apples and oranges, mate.

He did though

I don't like Grant Morrison.

Some of his stuff is ok, but even then it all feels so far up its own ass with its own importance.

Not a huge fan.

Probably not in terms of sales but definitely in terms of it ever being readable again.

>What's Sup Forums's opinion of Grant Morrison?
Bit of a one trick pony, in'e?
>What if WB got him to write the DCeu films?
Ew no. Well, maybe just Doom Patrol.

>they used quotes from All-Star Superman to promote this shit

Anything of his that doesn't rely on referencing works would be good. I'd say put him on the X-Men films. His main problem is that he seems to have some issues working with others, which is pretty antithetical to the movie production process.

Reddit-tier "mindfuck" writer. Flex Mentallo and Zenith are his only really good stories.

To write something like this you're either very young or very ignorant.

You're probably too young to remember what the X-men franchise had become in the late 90s/early 2000s.

It was in complete shambles. Morrison revitalized the franchise and breathed the first new ideas into it since Claremont.

>Reddit-tier "mindfuck" writer.

Using "reddit" as an insult makes it impossible to take you seriously. Same with "tumblr".

What quotes?

He's right though. Reddit is obsessed with "meta" crap like Morrison churns out.

He actually loves Zack Snyder.

They're really not. The r/comicbooks criticism of Morrison is indistinguishable from Sup Forums Morrison haters

This literally could not be more untrue. Morrison is always diplomatic and optimistic when it comes to DC properties because he loves them he still technically works there but read between the lines:

>It’s a credible Superman for now. But I’m not sure about the killing thing. I don’t want to sound like some fuddy-duddy Silver Age apologist but I’ve noticed a lot recently of people saying Batman should kill the Joker and, yeah, Superman should kill, he should make the tough moral decisions we all have to make every day. I don’t know about you, but the last moral decision I made didn’t have anything to do with killing people. And I don’t think many of us ever have to make the decision whether or not to kill. In fact, the more you think about it, unless you’re in one of the Armed Forces, killing is illegal and immoral. Why would we want our superheroes to do that?

>There is a certain demand for it, but I just keep wondering why people insist that this is the sort of thing we’d all do if we were in Superman’s place and had to make the tough decision and we’d kill Zod. Would we? Very few of us have ever killed anything. What is this weird bloodlust in watching our superheroes kill the villains?

>Morrison revitalized the franchise

Not really, once he was gone Marvel was quick to undo just about everything in his run except Scott/Emma. He gave it a good try, but people just wanted Joss Whedon's back to basics run

Morrison's run had the issue of them fucking up Lobdell's story by forcing him to wrap it up early, retconning in a bunch of stuff that didn't really mesh with history like Mutant Town or the new Weapon Plus, massively expanding the scope of the mutant population, overly complicated villains with pointless motivations like Cassandra Nova and Sublime, and a plot twist that destroyed a well-received new character for the sake of a shallow version of an old one.

>Morrison's run had the issue of them fucking up Lobdell's story by forcing him to wrap it up early,

I believe it was going to another X-Babies and Mojo story

Also I agree that Sublime being the "real reason" people hate mutants was stupid, but I still love the U-Men as a concept

My general problem with Morrison is that too often in longer runs it feels like he'll drop an idea in the middle of developing it for his next one. I think his best work is in short self contained stories like Flex or The Nameless

I meant the Magneto overthrow arc. But yes, the U-Men as a concept are amazing and I really think that Marvel should bring them back and expand their scope to the whole of superpowered individuals in the MU.

When?

His Batman run didn't even hit the 100,000s a lot of the time.

I still love the idea Max Landis pitched, for an Animal Man film about an analogue of him trying to write an Animal Man movie.

Adaptation/Birdman, but about the creative process behind Superhero films/tentpole releases.

He has no ideas of his own.

I agree that Batman and Superman shouldn't kill but this defensive of why they shouldn't is a little asinine. Members of the Armed Forces are on the firing line and kill, at least in theory, to protect others and ensure those they deem worthy are safe...which is exactly what Batman and Superman do. The difference between AF members and BnS is that they deal with people who could quite literally kill half the population in seconds.

He has no ideas pf his own. So why would WB give it to Morrison when there's more diverse writers like Goyer and Terrio?

he struggles to tell stories using comics as a medium but has lots of "deep" drug addled ideas so teenagers love him

He's been sober for quite some time, actually.

if your trip went so far you started wearing woman clothes a few year sober time doesn't do much

>Struggles to tell stories
Is this another term for I don't get it, so it's completely Morrison's fault.

I like zenith a lot

What would Grant Morrison's reaction/opinion of Neon Genesis Evangelion be?

Yea that's completely wrong.

Morrison was the first person to portray the Xavier Institute as an actual school with students since Lee and Kirby. He also reformed Emma, made Cyclops worth a shit as a character, created secondary mutations, created the Stepford Cuckoos, Beak, Cassandra Nova, Fantomex, Angel and Quentin Quire, cleared the overstacked mutant deck by destroying Genosha, brought the Sentinels back, tied the Phoenix back to the cosmic origins, gave a meaningful explanation of the Weapon Plus that tied Wolverine to Captain America, etc. etc.

i find his run fascinating, intriguing, captivating, challenging, and at times a slog. the artists switch up really bogged down some of the story. overall it's the finest run and take on the X-Men i have ever read, though.

can anyone direct me to a better run? those old Claremont/Byrne stories were stellar, too, if a bit dated now.

as for those claiming Grant has no original ideas, have you guys bothered to read his Vertigo work The Invisibles, Seaguy, The Filth or, shit, his old DC stuff like Doom Patrol? hell, even his recent series Nameless and Annihilator are shining examples of his original ideas. Grant is primarily known as an ideas and high-concept man who struggles a bit with straight story-telling.

The only thing that Morrison did in his X-Men which I really didn't like was Xorn turning out to be Magneto the entire time.

Morrison was a good thing to get into early, and a good lead into weirder, stranger, better comics.

Glad I read the stuff but doesn't do the same for me that it used to.

Those fuckers think Snyder wrote the best Batman run. It's so annoying.

i agree somewhat. i don't think he has progressed much as a writer. i think his latest series could have been written at any time in his career, which is not very encouraging. however, i still enjoy rereading his older stuff like Doom Patrol and The Invisibles and The Filth, which have like a dozen amazing concepts per issue.

Invisibles has been a slog whenever I have attempted to reread it.

Morrison was from a time where I cared more about the words on a page than the drawings so in a lot of cases that disconnect is what makes it hard to go back.

And the work that sticks out are stuff like Marvel Boy or We3/Earth 2 the really short and to the point consistent books.

Best comic of the decade coming through.

I sure hope a pale imitation of something else isn't the best comic of the decade.

You don't know what a pale imitation is

Rumor has is there is a we3 script floating around

Rumor has it there's been a dozen Morrison scripts floating around for a decade and none will get anywhere

fair enough. The Invisibles does come across as a bit of a self-important and dated slog at times and the art is rather weak for extended arcs. i still enjoy the crazy ass concepts. reminds me of where i was back when i first read it. i guess it's a personal thing.

i actually hope he does more work with Frazier Irving, as I think Irving's art is as captivating as Morrison's writing when he's on his A-game.

I'd love it, but the general audience just wouldn't.

This example is from Grant himself during an interview on Superman. He talks about how he'd end Man of Steel:

>"GM:I try to just take things on their own level. I enjoyed a lot of the film. It’s not my Superman in any way, but I enjoyed a lot of the work. But I just couldn’t buy into snapping Zod’s neck. Superman would have got Zod and flew him to the moon and punched the s*** out of him on the moon. Superman thinks ‘Zod’s getting his powers from the sun, but he’s only been here for a few weeks, he won’t be that powerful. So it’s basically my power against his.’ That’s what happens in my scene. Then he hits him to Mars. Then he hits him to Pluto. The two of them punching it out on the barren, black landscape of Pluto. Then Zod’s losing his powers, and Superman’s maybe losing his a little bit, so who goes first? That would be my version. To me, Superman’s the one character who solves problems by NOT killing people. Honestly, I think that should be a rule, because there’s no others. It makes you think differently if you’re doing it. You can’t just solve this problem Elliott Ness would solve it or the way Arnold Schwarzenegger would solve it. You should solve it like Superman would solve it."

The reason why this quote from him is important is because it shows us what he's like in his writing. He makes it big. To the moon, mars, then pluto, and enters the alternate conflict: who's power drains first?

We'd also have to think of the story he'd come up with to tie all DCEU films together.

The question is if he did do the DCEU, would it be too much for the audience to take in? Marvel movies are easier to hop into/skip a few movies on. With Morrison making the DCEU, I think it'd get too complicated storytelling wise from film to film.

Sauce: gamefaqs.com/boards/206-comics-and-graphic-novels/69806438

I'd love to hear another point of view contradictory to mine.

just read in BleedingCool, everyone's favorite site, right? that Grant will adapt Huxley's Brave New World as a series for Scy-fi and also Happy, which was quite possibly his worst comic ever.

I'm sure it will be just as good as the SyFy Childhood's End series

;_;

If I remember right Happy was essentially written specifically to be an adaptation (Millar style) but the funding fell through.

Brave New World will probably be shit but Moz is getting an executive producer which is great.

didn't bother with that. how was it? i'd much rather Scy-fi adapt classic Clarke, Asimov, and Ellison (and Huxley) science-fiction novels and stories than another Sharknado, Mansquito, or Sharktapus movie, even if they fail at the endeavor.

man, Happy was the pits. almost as bad or maybe twice as bad as Grant's Aliens vs Dinosaurs screenplay turned comic.

I wrote Grant a personal snail mail letter telling him that I thought his work was good, but it would take people a long time to really grasp or appreciate it's meaning/scope (kind of like with Jack Kirby's stuff and Blade Runner). Grant's stuff doesn't really appeal to me personally, but I know a good egg with honest intentions/dreams/goals when I see it

>i'd much rather Scy-fi adapt classic Clarke, Asimov, and Ellison (and Huxley) science-fiction novels and stories than another Sharknado, Mansquito, or Sharktapus movie, even if they fail at the endeavor.

You think that user. You really do. And then they adapt one of the greatest sci-fi novels in history with the same budget and level of quality and intelligence as a Sharknado or Mansquito...

sigh. yeah, you're probably right. quality does seem to be an elusive quality for Scy-fi productions or co-productions. however, you may say, i'm a dreamer. but i'm not the only one...