How come I haven't seen any threads for Kubo...

How come I haven't seen any threads for Kubo? Is Suicide Squad and Sausage Party eating up all of Sup Forums's attention? Comes out in a week, does Sup Forums have an opinion of it already?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=p4-6qJzeb3A
youtube.com/watch?v=YMmrKORgNFc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It looks really neat, hopefully it's not dragged down by shitty DreamWorks tier humor

>How come I haven't seen any threads for Kubo?
You didn't look hard enough, we've had threads

Kubo looks good, so naturally Sup Forums won't talk about it at all and instead will jack off angrily to Sausage Party and Suicide Squad, as well as give it all attention due to the EPIC Maymays that inevitably happen in the threads for them.

Sup Forums doesn't pay attention to good things because they can't argue about it. But it looks good and I'm looking forward to seeing it.

I keep seeing commercials for this. Is it based on something? I don't know why, I can't really place it, but it seems a bit... out of nowhere I guess?

Tite Kubo?

So were you just born a faggot?

Were you?

>original ideas are bad
Literally the worst kind of person

So you just go out of your way to try and get offended by imagining things no one ever said, do you? That must be tiring.

If you would like to know about my struggles you'll have to follow my tumblr

I read good things about it.

youtube.com/watch?v=p4-6qJzeb3A

youtube.com/watch?v=YMmrKORgNFc

looks fuckin beautiful. that cast is pretty amazing as well.

underrated post

Like bollocks it is

It's probably the only movie this year I've legitimately looked forward to so far.

It's Laika, so I'll see it. Paranorman and Coraline are two of my favourite movies. Obviously Boxtrolls was a misstep, but I'm willing to look past it.

Eh, theres only but so many ways to say "this looks good!" Before running out of steam. Overhyping something leads to shitposters flocking in droves if its anything less than immaculate as welp. Its safer to keep quiet and wait.

It's the same people behind Coraline?

Now it has more of my interest

I don't even get the hate for Boxtrolls to be honest. I went in with slightly lowered expectations due to some of the negative buzz and came out really enjoying it.

The animation is fucking top notch stuff, the best the studio has ever done, and the story is fun while admittedly a little bit serviceable.

You know, because of the way they do things I can't even be too mad about Boxtrolls. It had some good ideas, and even the execution was kind of botched, they were just doing what they wanted to do and it's their first movie that's been "kind of meh" to me. From what I've seen Kubo will make up for it anyway, I'm pretty hyped.

Does Laika animate this stuff by hand or is stop motion all computers nowadays?

Stop motion is by definition by hand. Otherwise you're just aping the stop motion look with cgi.

This.

Not the aping the stop motion look with CGI is inherently a bad this, as shown by the gorgeous Lego Movie.

My friend went to a pre-screening, said it was good until the last 30 or so percent.

So curb your expectations.

True, you can definitely make it look good, and you can execute stuff that would be really hard with actual models and puppets.

Can you give us some vague or non-spoilery specifics?

Does it fall apart story-wise, or did he just not like the direction it went?

I'll explicitly say I didn't ask about details because it was on snapchat and I was crushingly disappointed, but they did say it fell apart story-wise. High praises for the beginning and introduction and art.

>2016
>claymation
why do these fuckers even bother?

>2016
>Being a fucking faggot
why do you even bother to breathe?

we tend to get threads about somewhat polarizing things more often of course, like Suicide Squad. This movie looks like it will be pretty fucking sweet from all angles so far, meaning not much to be discussed.

It truly has the heart

But seriously it looks sweet

It comes out in a week, so I'll watch it in a week and then we can talk about it
Sound good OP?

I'd heard this from early reviews already.
I'll prepare myself for a little disappointment but, frankly, story isn't the top reason I want to see the movie. It just looks too beautiful to miss.

I mean, that's how things should be done, but look at all the other shit flooding this board. Sausage party isn't out until tomorrow but it's been talked about nonstop for weeks.

Buthe they're exactly on point and you're not man enough to admit it

This.

Sausage Party had script leaks, so we have more to talk about and criticize.

One part in the trailer is like when Aang fights a spirit at night in a village in Avatar: TLA S1E7, Winter Solstice, Part 1.

Curious whether they considered naming Beetle "Kabuto-mushi" since the movie is Japan-centric.

No. I'll be the first to say Sup Forums is full of shit, but to just paint the whole board with one stroke and bitch "why aren't you discussing what I like" is a load of bollocks when not only is anyone free to make a thread here, but we actually have had multiple threads for Kubo. Sure, there's a lot of shit on Sup Forums and sure, people flock to whatever drama they can, just shortly after reading that post I saw a thread about how "Boomerang is a Brony", not really quality stuff but again, it's not the entire board.

Shit like Suicide Squad and Sausage Party have a wider appeal, more people are interested in it and the marketing campaigns are generally bigger. People barely know about Kubo, or the other little gems that "Sup Forums won't talk about" so it's hardly a surprise those threads get less replies. There's plenty of good things Sup Forums does talk about, don't dismiss them just because they're popular.

Sup Forums hates good animation, so they never talk about LAIKA movies. Most of Sup Forums is from Murrica, where it's better to talk shit about a movie with food fucking other food, than to enjoy something as well made as ParaNorman or Kubo.

Honestly, this is way too accurate.

Basically this. Internet only knows how to tear things down and froth with rage, so when actual good movies come out they don't know what to do. Eventually there will be people who will say "it wasn't 'that good / it was overrated" and you'll get discussion around it, but no good discussion.

My opinions:
it looks good and I look forward to seeing it. The Boxtrolls was pretty meh but hopefully it was a one-time misstep, it happens to even the best studios.

See? Not much room for discussion.

The fact that Boxtrolls was kinda "meh" is what made it so "bad". The internet in general doesn't know how to process things that aren't AMAZING WOW or TERRIBLE SHIT, so it defaults to saying its TERRIBLE SHIT. Couple that with coming off the heels of two of the best animated movies of the decade, it's understandable that people were upset.

It should be noted that Laika does use some digital compositing for their effects, but WAY MORE of their stuff is actually done by hand than you would even guess. They're wizards.

NIKE CEO's son gets to do whatever the fuck he wants with his money as long as its not going down the drain, and the movies have broken even with DVD sales and they're really good so there isn't really a reason to stop him.

Laika has made 1 good movie. Paranorman is only worth it for the final act and Box Trolls is completely boring. They need to get a writer that can make a quality script instead of simply focusing on their stop-motion aesthetic.
I'm hopeful for Kubo.

I'm sorry you have such bad taste, since I consider ParaNorman one of the best animated movies ever made, and Coraline is a fairly great adaptation, even if toned down compared to the book.

Sorry you haven't seen more non-Disney animated movies. Paranorman is simply meh, but delivers in the confrontation with the witch at the end. Coraline is their one good movie.

It hasn't got much promotion. So there isn't much to talk about until Sup Forums actually sees the movie.

I'll watch it, because it looks like a good story and I'm a fan of stop motion.

user, I'm from Europe and I write about animation for a living, please don't offend my intellect.

Don't like the art and the commercials I've seen look like an unfunny comedy-adventure. I'll pass.

Yea, whatever.

Personally, I'm avoiding trailers and too much discussion until I see the movie so that I can go in a little more blindly than usual. So there's not much more for me to discuss than "looks good" "i like laika's other films" and "im gonna be seeing this"

All these early reviews of how the story isn't that great are stuck in my head now.

I'm just going to be nitpicking once I watch it.

I don't mind spoiling a shitty movie like Sausage Party that I don't intend to go see.

>the commercials I've seen look like a comedy-adventure

You mean like the ads for every current animated movie? Advertising needs to play up the comedy aspect because that's what normies are expecting from cartoons. But if you look at laika's other films, goofy comedy isn't their biggest specialty.

If you just don't like the style, though, there's not much use selling it to you. The handcrafted art is a big chunk of the appeal.