Rocko TV Movie confirmed by Nick themselves, beyond the Looking For Jobs page that had it as a listing months ago

Rocko TV Movie confirmed by Nick themselves, beyond the Looking For Jobs page that had it as a listing months ago.
variety.com/2016/tv/news/nickelodeon-rockos-modern-life-1201835815/

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/MarcSnetiker/status/763804810055454720
cartoonbrew.com/business/nick-puts-chris-viscardi-charge-reviving-classic-shows-122747.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

huh

Well okay than

Wonder if it will be pervy like the original series was.

Ah fuck, I am hyped!

... sjw's will ruin it.

screen cap this.

twitter.com/MarcSnetiker/status/763804810055454720

Nickelodeon retweeted.

For anyone who isn't aware, a good bit back, maybe late last year or early this one, Nickelodeon's Job Opportunities page had a story boarding spot for "Rocko's Modern Life TV Movie" and it was taken down later that day or the day after. Someone grabbed a screenshot of the page and it's probably still in the archives, I'll go look for it if the guy who took it doesn't have it. They also might have a page for it again by now, if not another position though.

Maybe but it'll most likely focus on it's story this time more than being a comedic episode with plot just being a road for the jokes.

Definitely. You can get away with more now than you could in the early 90's and something like will probably be more targeted towards adults who had watched the show when they were kids rather than kids today.

Huh. I think the best way to do this is to take the Brady Bunch tack. simultaneously celebrate and mock the datedness of the show, remembering what made it great, contrasting it with what people are probably expecting when a movie comes out in 20-fucking-16
the nonshitness of this movie is going to rely heavily on whether they can get dan and swampy, or whether they're too busy with Murphy's Law

>Chris Viscardi, SVP, content development for Nickelodeon
oh holy shit how did I miss this little detail?
cartoonbrew.com/business/nick-puts-chris-viscardi-charge-reviving-classic-shows-122747.html
this.. this is incredibly important. They aren't just cashing in, they actually put someone COMPETENT in charge of this whole movement.

Co-creator of Pete&Pete.

That show is so under-rated. Watch it again. It's so weird and unlike anything that's ever been on TV.

Please no. It would be fucking neutered these days.

Won't ruin it's legacy, and Joe won't step down and let them fuck his shit up.

Though during it's run it was given more free reign for the workers to do it's job, after Ren and Stimpy that was called off, said by Murray himself.

Curse you, Timbox! Nickelodeon has played right to your rose-tinted fuckery!

When will you guys learn to let sleeping dogs lie?

considering what they get away with these days with sanjay and craig and spongebob before season 9, i think it will be pretty fine. Look at the Hey! Arnold movie too, they didn't modernize it like CN did with PPG

>says in the quote by joe himself that it will be modernized and o-town will be in a new look

I am one of those weirdos who watched the original nicktoons with obsession and still have a circle of friends that quote it like the simpsons.

I am on board with this re-boot.
It's hard to believe it's been 10 years since Murray did Camp Lazlo, which itself was 10 years post Rocko. Lazlo wasn't nearly as edgy as Rocky, but it was also child-centric rather than adults.

It shouldn't be a problem to get the original voices, Tom never says no, Carlos, Mr. Lawrence should be available?

I'm scratching my head on the Arnold re-boot because all the child voices were child voice actors. They'll never sound right. Even towards the end of the show's run, they were noticeably deeper. Gerald's voice was clearly post puberty.
Adventure Time deserves credit for making the show progress in time to justify Finn's changing voice.

Mostly, i'm happy that this nostalgia is going to land some real discussion and press attention to these shows. 10-15 years ago when TV shows started releasing full seasons, the Early nicktoons got no love. No commentary (other than RenStimpy) and they just kind of quietly released the episodes eventually.

>mock the datedness of the show

save that shit for when they do a Rocket Power movie.

If Rocko and the rest had bowl haircuts, wore No Fear shirts, walked around in light up shoes, and collected pog caps and beanie babies then you'd have point but, the only thing about RML that screams "look I'm from the 90's!" is the animation.

The designs were retro kinda, like wonky building angles and rocko's shirt was something that was like a 80's party banner. That user doesn't really realize that that's about it though, design wise it'll be fine.

I do worry it won't have the pacing of the episodes and how quiet they were. Like when Rocko would talk, there wasn't too much emphasis that he was, it was normal and low, and "gee heff.. ya think?" and there wasn't really too much loud stuff going on aside from screaming. Most of the dialouge was slower. I liked it that way.

I'll be interested to see how Rocko is done in 2016.

I watched the entire series over the course of a few weeks earlier this year, and I didn't care for the cartoon much as a kid, but i'm shocked at how much I relate to Rocko when I go back and watch it. The plane episode is also scarily relevant in this day and age.

>The plane episode is also scarily relevant in this day and age.
I've been thinking this for years.

No you can't the jokes in Rocko wouldn't even fly away on todays tv since everything is safe and PC nowadays

Not really Sanjay and craig and post movie spongebob are tame compared to Rocko which was in an age where you got away with a lot of adult stuff where nowadays everything is safe and pretty much boring

There are as many innuendos in a Dreamworks movie than in Rocko.

Who are these films aimed at? What ten year old cares about Rocko? I'm twenty and I don't even like it much; it's not bad but it never interested me.

This movie sounds pretty good but it will probably not as good considering how Nickelodeon is these days

What's with all the nostalgic Nick shit announcements of it all being in the works?

First Jungle movie, then a couple of other ones, then Rocko? What's going on?

Is Nick planning an ultimate redemption to fight the tyranny of the yellow sponge and the pedophile sitcom guy?

Those are theatrical releases.

Yeah I agree that's the main reason kids shows nowadays suck bad

It's aimed at 32 year olds like me. Now stop being such killjoys and let me enjoy this before it actually comes out and turns out to be a big disappointment.

Nickelodeon must feel 80's/90's kids can turn their ratings around.

It's because of the shitty calarts style

No you can't you douchebag

But that doesn't seem profitable at all. Rocko isn't TMNT, it's not that huge.

Rocko's Modern Life sadly does not belong to this new era of TV cartoons.
It must be remember for what it was, and respected as such.

Leave the IP as it is.

No because the shows nowadays mostly suck ass and they can't get away with much content as they used to like the stuff in shows like Ren and Stimpy, Rocko and Animaniacs would never fly away on todays TV

...isn't that what it's saying...?

Looks like he responded to the wrong post.

dont you fucking dare nickelodeon

My only question is why? Why a "movie"? This makes zero sense, at least with hey arnold, there was closure that needed to be done. This is just needless resurrection to try to grab as much of the nostaliga viewer base as they can since they cannot for the life of them establish a cartoon viewerbase after driving away all the kids who weren't into schinder shit and sponge bob/FoP

Joe never really wanted to let go of these characters and wanted to do a few more things with them, but had to wait until something came up. This helps him a lot.

I've literally been re-watching this for the past month.

i just did! and you're so right!
It perfectly encapsulated that 90s nick feel. It practically created it.
>kids can do anything (especially offscreen)! reality is just slightly beyond what you probably think is possible! even boring everyday shit can be magical
>parents just don't understand! but they do give the kids a huge amount of freedom to run around and do shit
>love is weird and confusing but girls can just be your pals.
>big weird corporations are probably out for your money, but they aren't supervillains or anything, it's up to you to be smart and figure out the scams
>anyone can be cool, even dorks and whatnot
>it's fun using swears that aren't really swears but sound like it, like 'stinkfist' or 'chunkhead'

>all the child voices were child voice actors.
some of them were, but most of them still sounded fine as they grew up (like you mentioned, gerald stayed on after his voice broke. so did stinky and sid). obviously the girls will be fine. they just have to recast arnold (which they already did four times) and maybe one or two others.

well that's kinda what i meant. all that way-out grossout weirdness is quite passe at this point. I said celebrate AND mock.
>bowl haircuts
the fuck 90s did you live through?

Basically what happened is Nick turned late nights on teennick into 'the 90s are all that' and the ratings blew them the fuck away. for the first time in a long time viacom made a GOOD decision, and hired one of the creators of pete & pete to run a big revival, and he in turn made the right decision by getting back all the original creators he could.

a movie is easier to pitch to an exec now than a series. if it does well enough, a series can follow, with the movie as their multi-part first episodes of the first season.

>Rocko without incredibly blatant sexual innuendo
I dunno man

I feel like they'd be fine with it, this show's sexual innuendos are jokes to them, they post it on their twitters with "wait.. WHAT?!?!".. it's supposed to be funny

Sounds problematic.

Also the DMV, the one where he has to get to his job on time, and so on.

The ones that dealt with adult life issues.

bump

Nah it's gotten worse. Nick used to air Ren & Stimpy. You think they gettin away with that now?

Wasn't Arnold's VA already changed once anyway? At least Helga gets to be the same.

>Adventure Time deserves credit for making the show progress in time to justify Finn's changing voice.
No they don't. I've never seen a single cartoon that did it right.

I had hope for Steven Universe but then I learned the VA is somehow 18 years old and it's not necessary for him to grow.

There wasn't really that much of it. That part is overhyped.

I'm more concerned it won't have the same slapstick animation. That kind of cartoon just doesn't exist anymore.

timbox finally got what he wanted

They'll ruin it if they go overboard.
The original was mostly background jokes.

>rocko makes a sex joke

I bet they will fuck this up for the sake of putting an innuendo in. Rocko isn't like that, unless he does it accidentally and someone around him laughs.

>hey heff ask me what time it is

was it a 4:20 joke?

Would the episode where remixed footage of nude Rocko wins a film festival fly today? Just saw that and it was hilarious.

yes

fake

nickelodeon. retweeted. it.

Source.

>Someone grabbed a screenshot of the page
Me

I think I lost it though

>it wont be nearly as good as the original series
>tfw "wacky deli" aka rocko will be what joe murray is known for in 40 years from now instead of his shit "stilllife art" pursuits

>It shouldn't be a problem to get the original voices, Tom never says no, Carlos, Mr. Lawrence should be available?
Does Charlie Adler do anything anymore? Last time I've heard him, he was MODOK

>Does Charlie Adler do anything anymore?
I don't even know what that thing you mentioned is, I haven't heard of him in ages.

Is Heffer's VA alive?

Nickelodeon already has a spin-off network dedicated to nothing but old Nick shows.

better question, can he ever die

I'm not sure I trust Joe Murray after Camp Lazlo and Frog in a Suit.

lazlo was good, faggot
i don't know about the frog thing, I only saw a few things of him talking about it, never watched it

probably won't get tamed, i mean, Nick let breadwinners get away with this.

wow, a butt joke

Gonna be honest, even as a kid I never really liked this show that much. The revival's probably going to suck, given how far Nick has fallen.

>and the pedophile sitcom guy

You mean Dan "The Hymen Collider" Schneider?

is that his daughter?

No.

bump

This movie needs to be about Rocko, Heffer, Filbert & the Bighead kid being forced to reboot Wacky Deli.

in a sense

"Get away with?" There's nothing to get away with, as R&S would be the centerpiece of Nick's equivalent to Adult Swim.

And while R&S is tops in terms of extreme detail gross out shots, Rick & Morty has done more overall fucked up stuff and is going nowhere.

Y'all heads are stuck in the 90 s just as much as the in imaginary censors/soccer moms you think would stop Ren & Stumpy of all things.

no one cares, OP
no one has cared about reboots since the garfield show

The only particular datedness that really counts is technological, like CRT TVs and VHS.

Regular Show uses those on it's own, often. CN actually has a lot of dated aspects in it's shows for their own atmosphere. I just wonder if Nickelodeon will let the same thing happen.

>You can get away with more now than you could in the early 90's

If that were true, then the reruns and the DVDs for Rocko wouldn't be edited for content.

I think they said they don't have the original unedited copies anymore.

I thought Shout Factory said they tried to get the uncut episodes, but Nickelodeon told them "no" flat out, so the edited versions were the best they could do.

Oh well maybe but I heard they didn't have the originals. I guess it's either.

bump

looking forward to shitty flash-tier concept art like the hey arnold jungle movie

that art is A+ bitch

you only say that because tiny helga tits

I don't think It will be good. I love the TV show, but let's be serious here. it's been what, 20 years? What are the real chances that we get quality like the original? We're probably gonna get "LE WACKY CARTOON ANIMALS!!! XDD" not "adult issues resolved in comedic children's cartoons" like the original

It will be at least a little, Murray is working on it, and it's his most beloved work.

I thought he said he liked lazlong more.

no never

Rocko and Heffer were really cool designs.

didn't they make a tv movie before?