You know I sure people criticized "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" for the same reasons

You know I sure people criticized "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" for the same reasons.

You're a faggot op. That's what I'm sure of.

Did you even read that piece of shit?

someone post that part from the book

who framed roger rabbit was a masterpiece

>implying it's going to be as bad as the book.

Spielberg has experience turning shit books into gold.

Holy shit

>iron giant
>bike from Akira
>DeLorean
>countless other epic references for those of us born in le wrong generation stuffed into two minutes
To say that referential humor is retarded while also frequenting Sup Forums is hypocritical, but there's a fucking line, and RP1 crosses it.

pandering to geek culture: the movie

>Telling people it might not be that bad = Reddit

Lol, Sup Forums never change

Not all references are referential humor

This one?

I unironically enjoyed the book.
It would of been better without the author's views, or the nostalgia pandering, or actual geek instead of a pretend one, or really if written by someone who could write worth a damn, but I still enjoyed it. Anyone else? Should I never admit this in polite company?

>Implying this won't work better visually.

>would of
No wonder you enjoyed it.

Please don't bully my retarded phone.
>tried to write shifty, it autocorrects to shitty
Buying a fucking apple next time. At least that queer hasn't completely fucked jobs vision.

It's Willy Wonka and the Isekai Factory.

>poor boy
>finds golden mcguffin
>goes on a magical adventure in an otherworldly place
>inherit fortune and company

People who flip shit over pop culture references need to be gassed

"OH MY GAWD GUYS, THE IRON GIANT !! DAE REMEMBER THAT XXXDD?"

Warner not Universal.

Zyklon Ben does it again!

Which alias did he make that under? That's fucking great, is there more?

me too. I don't get the hate. It's a fun page turner and I'm interested to see Spielberg's take on it.

Sup Forums overreacts to everything

>I unironically enjoyed the book.
>I'm a phone poster, don't blame me
you have to go back

How is Iron Giant geek culture?
Iron Giant is Normie as fuck

Geek culture is normie as fuck, in case you haven't noticed.

This is a scribble of a future mass-shooter.

Geek culture falls under the normie umbrella.

I remember when people said Scott Pilgrim had too many references and that it was for hipsters.

>he doesn't shitpost while shitting
Pleb

>i enjoy pop lit
>"would of"
it's honestly like poetry

Did a teenager write this?

I remember when samefagging wasn't obvious as shit

oh wait, it always was

That's how you read all books, dumbass.

Ignoring the non-arguments my colleagues have brought to the table, I agree with this user. Plus, it's a fucking book. Unless you're a slow reading subhuman, it's over in a two or three hours. We're not even talking a fucking college seminar here.

>millennial

>I unironically enjoyed the book.
The fucking state of Sup Forums

are you still trying to pretend that this thread isn't a shitshow of samefagging?

obvious to anyone who isn't as new as you clearly are

The top two posts are mine. Brainlet?

Who Framed Roger Rabbit was a technical marvel, no one had ever seen something like this before when it was made and every frame was hand drawn

We're talking in terms of content, not in technical achievement.

Are we? Because Ready Player One is just the same lazy CGI shitpile we've seen approximately 200 times in the last decade, now with more licenses.

Ready Player One hovers just shy of the line between pandering, cringworthy, Reddit-tier, pop culture, us-nerds-amiright?, referential, quipshit and quality satire of pandering, cringworthy, Reddit-tier, pop culture, us-nerds-amiright?, referential, quipshit.

Spielberg needs to take it past that line.

We've seen Matrix + Willy Wonka 200 times?

I wish Last Action Hero got this kind of studio backing.

Imagine if they refilmed parts of the movie with present-day Arnold, re-edited the movie and added modern cgi. It's so crazy but I bet it'd work.

tfw the decadent West will fall in your lifetime

You're crazy. There's no making Last Action Hero better than it was, look at the scene where they're walking into the police station and Sharon Stone and the T-1000 walk out

>The west will fall because of a shitty blockbuster
Sure, Inarritu.

Difference is Slugworth was an inside man. IOI is a legitimate threat that will enslave and kill anyone interfering with their business and goals

>RP1 is responsible for global Warming
It all makes sense.

>I APPLAUDED IT FOR BEING DIFFERENT

This would actually work really well visually

more like
pandering to the geek culture: the book: the movie

>I
>I
>I
>I
>I
was this book self published?

t. never read many books and is completely okay with that

Ready Player One is the Transformers of books, it's mindless fun that doesn't do anything for the viewer in any way. It's effortless writing without any thought put into it.

Which is why it'll do much better as a film than a book.

>Title suggest Video Game references
>Iron Giant
>A Fucking Movie character

Even Spielberg is using Seth McFarland's basic formula.

Jessica Rabbit made my child-self feel...funny.

>this whole image
Sorry you were bullied, but you deserved it.

Joust ostriches, Lara croft and Duke Nukem are in the trailer.

Sup Forums here

I watched the trailer earlier and it seems to me that it's a commercial propaganda and desensitization for kike transhumanism / virtual reality. The want to guide humanity into depths of hell without any interference from the only people who can stop the kikes.

I want to inject myself into VR so that I can get away from idiots like you.

I'll write a virus that torments you with my idiocy for eternity.

>I'm sure
You mean "I sure".

For fuck's sake why? It's perfect the way it is.

Except the VR here is more like the spaceship in Wall-E than a glorified paradise.

where did you get glorified paradise?

What is it about "geek culture" that has people obsessively diving in head first for?

There was a Twilight Princess comic?

Next thing you'll tell me is you're not aware of the mangas

I've read the book and I can say that this shit reads like a Buzzfeed article.

Thankfully there's some genuinely entertaining stuff in the book, but it's a mixed bag and you have to filter through a lot of shit to get there. For me the question is not "can Spielberg accurately capture the book" but "can he make the book into a good movie without porting over all the shitty parts." Fuck the final setpiece in the book is literally just the characters re-enacting Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Even if you could make that work in a movie it would be unwatchable because it would make it feel like a fucking clipshow.

This is a very useful paragraph, because it basically sets out the canon of stuff to avoid if you don't want to be an awful person.

It's a fad and they'll get bored of it eventually when the next big pop culture trend gets mandated on high. And then the Wil Wheatons, Felicia Days, and other "professional geek" community gatekeepers will be out of a job, thank god.

I think the most offensive thing about the book is that Wil Wheaton is essentially the elected community president of the Oasis and the main character is perfectly fine with that. I almost threw the book in the trash at that point. I am supposed to believe that in 2040, Wil Wheaton is not only still acting as a "gatekeeper" of geek hobbies but on top of that he's gone from self-appointed to popularly elected. Fuck that shit. I hope to god Wil Wheaton isn't anywhere in the goddamn movie.

This is a clever send-up, the clue is the bracketing of male bimbos David Hasselhoff and Gil Gerard with John Wayne. Michael Cera is less masculine than Gil Gerard the way an office worker is less masculine than a gay Chippendale.

Which was true.

Fucking hell, how did this even get published? From the sounds of it, it's just a catalog of nerd references that will date painfully.

>Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

What a random thing to compare it to. That movie wasn't even good.

Honestly, it's not even as bad as it was about 10 years ago. Remember "Movie Movies?" People actually paid money to watch this garbage, over and over and over.

Yes, Youtube is full of cringey bullshit that is in some ways even worse, but at least people aren't paying their own money to look at it in theaters anymore, so progress?

Is it progress when Steven Spielberg is making the equivalent of a Movie Movie? He's making a movie of a book in which his own earlier films exist as a "Holy" touchstone, ffs.

>open VR social simulator with every kind of mod and player skin imaginable
>no furfags

Not even close to realistic. Did Ernest Kline even look at screenshots of Second Life?

Not saying the movie is going to be good or no, but there's no comparison. Movie Movies were made carelessly with no budget and rushed scripts that were essentially just a collection of skits with painfully cliched gags, because they had to start filming them before the movies they were spoofing were even finished. It was basically a set of minute long chinese knockoffs of every movie that was coming out that year.

It was basically like those "Frozen Elsa Spider-Man" videos except as a movie.

>No X-Files

What a fucking loser.

>And of course, Kevin Smith

If I recall correctly there were furfags. He goes into detail about the sexual side in Oasis.

t. I read the comp 1 reading list and I feel well read

I am an English major that has been reading since I could barely talk. There's nothing wrong with reading a wide variety of books, and I would argue your comparison is faulty: RPO is much closer to BvS. It's garbage, but well worth reading for a laugh.

I know what they are, but the point is that when society spends serious money on trash, decline has set in. This is the equivalent but with a prestigious production and a big name director.

And a book that's implying his own Indy 4 was garbage. But I guess that's not important when you haven't gotten a hit in a while and you need to look cool to the young crowd again.

Don't forget this one too.