What exactly makes one quirky sci-fi film a huge success and the other a huge failure?

What exactly makes one quirky sci-fi film a huge success and the other a huge failure?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=z7yePNyz-nc
twitter.com/AnonBabble

One has been elaborately marketed, focus-tested and then reshot over and over again to tick all the relevant boxes while the other is the result of a director going wild with his shit with almost zero marketing.

This is why cinema is dying.

Cinema has always been a business.

>Dane Dehaan and Cara D
is there any possible worse lineup for a major sci-fi film

One was marketed to look fresh, comical, and fun.

The other was marketed as something only huge nerds would care about.

Valerian looking like Star Wars in a era that property is own by Disney.

it was bound to fail.

Likable characters usually

>tfw Girls Trip made nearly twice as much even though it was shown in 1000 less theaters.

Because people like man and woman and hate boi and girl

And French people in general

>cara delememe

one has likable Chris Pratt and Dave Bautista.

and the other has Cara Delevingne and someone that looks like a male Cara Delevingne.

one on the left's actually good. also it panders to the reddit/meme market. also it's a sequel to a surprise smash-hit from recent years starring several breakout stars, and it's part of a wider marketing campaign for a cinematic universe that's been going along for 10 years. as much as all these 'cinematic universes' and endless sequels are getting annoying as hell they definitely give the audience a feeling of reward, arc and continuity if they stay engaged in the film, rather than a one-off CGI wankfest. Not saying that's necessarily a good thing, but it appeals to audiences. The marketing for the MCU is far superior, even with something like Homecoming where they had to deal with the Sony execs being absolutely terrible at their jobs and fucking everything up. I saw a short advert for Valerian focussing on Delevigne's character and it just had her beating up a bunch of men aliens and then literally ended on the words 'Girl Boss'.
Valerian's also actually a smaller scale production, not associated with one of the massive Hollywood distributors like Disney or Fox or whatever (look at the list of films distributed by STX Entertainment like Valerian is, it's just no-name flop after no-name flop). It's more of an autistic passion project for Besson, and alienates audiences (especially those in the US) by not really starring big current acting names and giving them no appealing reference points. 'Come watch this movie, it's basically a rehash of one of the director's other films from the 90s, which itself copied a lot from the original comic book that this film is based on! doesn't that sound enticing?'

bad casting for starters

>lmao, let's higher some teen models who look like they're siblings

is one supposed to understand who or what "valerian" is by looking at the poster?

One has Disney Marvel's name attached. The other is some random french comic no one has ever heard of.

Good casting
Likeable characters
Better dialogue
Better effects
Better music

I remember from the trailers leading up to the release of Valerian not exactly knowing what the hell it was about. Just that they were in space, there were other creatures and shit happened. It was like when John Carter came out, it was vague as fuck but I went and saw it and it was alright. I'm probably gonna wait till it goes to directv cinema to check out Valerian.

No, you're supposed to understand that by watching the movie.

>Cinema has always been a business.
not really true and also makes no sense.

anything with the Marvel tag on it is guaranteed to be a success. Marvel is the McDonald's of cinema at this point

>Valerian looking like Star Wars
it's the other way around you fag

I actually like Valerian more knowing it triggers the glasses-wearing whiners on this board

>Good casting

lol fuck no. That's the one thing keeping me from watching this, I hate the cast.

reminder: it only flopped by the amerifats

Chris Pratt

Dane Dehaan just has such a fucking weird face. I'm all for giving ugly people equal opportunities, even in lead roles for meant-to-be-blockbusters, but in this instance it's just so fucking unfit for the character

What about Rihana? That's her on the poster,right?

I went into a manatee screening and there was a few couples engaged in an orgy before the movie even started. I sat in the top row and pleasured myself while I watched them.

That girl in the upper left looks like she has the snapchat dog face filter.

We can just google the answers instead you fucktard.

>Good actors
vs
>Boring kids with rich parents

>Look up Dane
>Looks like a teenager despite being fucking 31 years old

Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Simon Pegg and Zoe Saldana

friendly reminder that Dane is 31

Tell me how Valerian is any different to Avatar
Sup Forums will praise the shit out of this

doesn't matter when the comic debuted, audiences don't the origins of the property.

my statement is still true.

J.LEWrence
ScarJo

It doesn't have the annoying fanbase and massive marketing campaign shoving adds in your face everywhere you go.

how? Sup Forums hates avatar (except for that faggot making the "x days until Avatar 2" threads)

when time passes, valerian will be remembered as something original and pure, while history will remember star wars just as a popular movie series meant to sell plastic.

It was not made by the cinema god cameron

Most people on Sup Forums are the very least positive about Avatar
The influx of newfriends hate Avatar

Nope, avatar is based.

>Manatee orgy

> a manatee screening

Dugong for a long time?

>Cara Delevingne

But she's well liked among normies.

>implying you were on this board when Avatar came out and aren't a newfag yourself.

youtube.com/watch?v=z7yePNyz-nc

>Question of the Day
>Helga Pataki
>blue and orange
>no chemistry or charisma involved
>no memorable soundtrack
>not actually fun or quirky
>acttors seem visibly disinterested even right in the trailer

Could have something to do with it.

one has cute actresses
the other has a vapid skank

i actually liked Valerian, but it failed because it looked derivative of a already popular franchise despite it existing before it.

same thing happened with John Carter.

>implying you've actually seen it

they want to see her getting plowed by some huge black guy not her little brother

When are we getting an Incal movie?

but star wars looks like washed out shit compared to valerian

wasn't that the point? i thought they did that on purpose

if not then LOL

Shut the fuck up Cara is a beautiful woman, and more than that. She's a start, a real star. She is going to go big, no matter what you haters think.

but star wars has things i know like light sabers and darth vader etc. I don't know what anything in valerian is. what is a valerian? who knows?

whenever Idris Elba finishes his current project

the comic was crap.

Nicolas Winding Refn lost interest in it, so possibly never.

I saw a clip of Valerian in the Tonight Show. It was Dane running through walls and hopping on CGI jellyfish and shit. The camera followed behind him like in a video game. It looked like one of those roller coaster simulators in a theme park where you watch something that's obviously CGI while your hydraulic chair moves around slightly.

I completely lost interest at that point.

>She

rihanna triggers something in me man, she's incredibly hot for me and I can't tell you why

they are trying to normalise incest

>She's a start
That she is

>Not a single POC in the main cast
>Wonder why it doesn't do as well as GotG

>has high standards
>watches tonight show
hang yourself retard

Rihanna

hello 2012

yeah, she plays a burlesque dancer that dances for Valerian.

>defending Vaginian
castrate yourself shill

is Valerian the boy or the girl

I dunno really. Guardians had a kind of character too it, a sort of charm to the world and from the characters and the actors playing them.

Valerian just looks like a soulless CGI-fest, like Jupiter Ascending, neither of the main characters look interesting or particularly warm.

Star Wars ripped off the Valerian comic book though. The comic came first!

>look interesting or particularly warm.
those are both plebian attributes.
hmm...

Well worth it just to see Cara on the big screen.

>One token bit-part

Note I said main cast. By comparison, three of the Guardians are PoC.

I don't know why, Guardians 2 was such a piece of shit, marvel can't even make a funeral scene without having to shove a fucking joke in there

I want to see Valerian though, I was liked those weird french sci fi comics

Cara looks very interesting though. One of my favorite models with a very unique look to her.

desu there wasn't much advertising for Valerian

It's a movie for plebeians, if you're patrician why are you even in this thread?

>Watching a movie just to see a below average woman
?

Guardians 2 had a lot of marketing though.

what

The mc in Valerian looks like my high school bully

probably a lot of people get triggered by his looks and acting

She's ugly af and only a model because her dad is rich.

Suicide Squad

Those actors look like babies and PV was shit.

She looks interesting in the sense I'd like to stick my dick in her. Her character looked like a one-dimensional Stronk Female™ action trope, at least from the trailer, whilst Dane is basically the male equivilent Unshakable Quip Machine™.

Guardians by comparison was sold as a bit different right from the trailers, with Pratt being a goof.

Valerian is like Ender's Game. Bad adaptation

>What exactly makes one quirky sci-fi film a huge success and the other a huge failure?

stupid generic American capeshit ---> commercial success

That's why today’s cinema is shit.

>getting bullied by a twink
Jeez

Wrong, she is beautiful. You are so full of shit. Yeah, she comes from a rich family, but she worked her ass off to get where she is now. Modeling is one of the toughest and most competitive jobs in the whole world. Just having a rich daddy isn't enough to make it to the top, especially considering how many models out there also have rich families.

Cara has earned her spot. She has fucking talent. And she's been working her ass off for almost a decade. Talent + Hard Work = Success. Don't be a hater.

>bullying in high school
lmaoing @ your life

careful with those hot opinions, rlm drone

I heard Valerian was good. Did it really suck?

Could it eventually become the next Fifth Element?

Star Wars ripped many works.

but that doesn't matter, the public which this movie is geared toward don't know or care about that.

No one here has seen it, we just like bitching about every movie that comes out.

I have a person tied up in my bathroom right now who said MARVEL was the king of sci-fi. What punishment should I give this retard? This level of degeneracy cannot go unpunished.