Thoughts on the sci-fi channel?

thoughts on the sci-fi channel?
past,present and future

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NRouQk5hb6w
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I can't believe they've been so continually garbage for so long without going bankrupt.

They were never really that good. But they were shit after that "Syfy" thing; it was very symbolic

The only good series I can remember being original to them is Battlestar Galactica

>The only good series I can remember being original to them is Battlestar Galactica

Pretty much this.

Battlestar Galactica seems like their only show to have enjoyed a decent budget, sharp writing, and a brilliant cast.

The Expanse looks nice and is well written (kind of), but is full of B-movie actors.

Dark Matter and Defiance, the only other Sy Fy shows I've watched in recent years, are no more than guilty pleasures.

>can you see the number 6?

I think they are headed in the right direction, although they've had to toe the line in terms of getting too big for their britches after Battlestar Galactica. They shouldn't try to be a purveyor of (what the general populace considers to be) mid/high quality cable TV like FX or AMC, they can have their one serious project going at a time, currently Expanse, but they should stick to putting out satisfying and slightly hokey stuff like Dark Matter and Killjoys. I've not seen their new grindhouse stuff but I heard it was entertaining. Same goes for their shitty original movies. I'd never call them good but I'll absolutely leave them on while folding laundry or playing video games.

early 2000's sci-fi >

went to complete shit as soon as they changed the name

I remember watching the Sci-Fi channel before it had any programming at all. It was basically a screensaver with music 24 years ago?. That was actually better than what it is now. There were some neat sci-fi shorts between shows and movies that were cool and original. Never seen them again though. I think only The Expanse has been good. BG was okay, but had shitty ending. "SyFy" is fucktarded.

Didn't farscape air on sci fi?

Didn't they also have Alphas? It was interesting, with good actors and while formulaic it worked, at least for me. Pity the "monster of the week" formula was tiresome

yeah they definitely got way shittier after the rebranding

Yes

Sci-Fi was great in the late-90s. They used to air The Thing and Halloween a lot -- first time I saw The Thing was on Sci-Fi Channel.

It went through a major slump through the 00's. Though, they did used to have constant marathons of Kolchak and Tales from the Darkside, 90% of the programming was Galactica and Stargate -- neither interested me -- and HORRIBLE low-budget Horror movies made by crappy studios with terrible CGI.

They've been improving of recent, though.

The only thing I watched on SyFy was Destination Truth

In the US

I never remember seeing Farscape on SciFi at that time, despite occasionally watching the network then.

Stargate's second half was on it too. They bought it from another company.

Travel Channel has been re-airing Destination Truth on Fridays, since they also have Destination Unknown, or whatever it's called, now.

Seemed like it had better programming than Space. At least we got endless Stargate reruns I guess.

It originally aired on "Nine Network" in Australia before Sci-fi got it.

Sci-fi was the 3rd channel to get it,

>Farscape first ran on the Australian TV Channel Nine Network and the Canadian YTV channel, then in the US on the Sci-Fi Channel and on BBC2 in the United Kingdom.

youtube.com/watch?v=NRouQk5hb6w

Happy! will be pure kino.

Twilight Zone marathons are kino. I ignore the channel otherwise

I forgot about that show. it was actually a decent travel series, isn't the guy from it doing a travel series now?

>Destination Unknown

Not the same thing I think...

I just want some "decent" science fiction, space opera-ish stuff. I never cared for urban fantasy type stuff

Hosted by the same guy, Josh Gates.

Though, it's not really as paranormal-esque. They did have a Yeti special, though.

The new logo looks like something Disney XD would use.

The show on Travel Channel is called Expedition Unknown, and yeah, it's the same guy (Josh Gates)

Well, it is a traditionally styled sci-fi font and Disney now has the Star Wars franchise.

Been looking through classic Sci-Fi channel idents and haven't been able to find one I remember seeing. It was shown in the early 00s and I think it was animated and black and white. This guy had a hangnail and was trying to get it off with his teeth but ends up ripping the skin off the top of his arm. Been able to find plenty of others from around that time but can't find this one. Does anyone remember seeing anything like that when watching back then?

i used to watch the fuck out of the twilight zone marathon they had every new years, the shitty made-for-tv films, and tremors the show. but it's shit now yeah

Sounds very familiar but I can't really help you either.

They still do the New Years TZ marathon.

I like it more than the current one. Seems actually science fiction-oriented

I am NOT clicking that gif.

SyFy is ironically more "science" than the Science Channel aka "how its made" channel.

yeah but i don't have cable/or a tv anymore. i recently downloaded the series and i watch a few during new years if i have the time, but it's not the same as when i was a kid and my parents let me stay up til midnight watching it

Is engineering not considered science