Thoughts on Pixar's Brave?

Thoughts on Pixar's Brave?

A big change of pace for pixar. Very big change of pace. One might even say it was stupid of them.

>Tfw you lived long enough to see pixars fall from grace.

Pixar's first bad movie.

>Cars 2

Even still a bugs life wasn't well received.

> Go to see Brenda Chapman speak
> She said she worked on this movie for 6 years but was pulled from it in the last 11 or so months of production

Say what you will about the movie, but that's pretty awful.

It was quite interesting.

Cars was Pixar's first really bad movie, user.

It's the only thing that saved it from total disaster.

Scenery was beautiful and Scotland is fucking nice, but I didn't really like it

Did she discuss her original vision for the film? Or any of the conflicts in development?

A pretty ok story about a strained mother-daughter relationship, that some asshats then tried to market as a feminist movie.

TRUTH

Does anyone else think this film looks strangely similar to How to Train Your Dragon?

For all they hyped it up as being about gurl power it was not about that at all
I liked it.

First half is pretty decent with some GOAT settings.

Second half becomes boring with not few cringy parts like seeing the mother´s mannerisms in a bear or the huey dewey louie-like brothers and some really obvious plot devices like the witch and the cursed bear.

It wasn´t terrible, but a clear step down

Merida has a pretty nice character design but they wasted it by giving her a typical "rebellious princess" personality. I liked that the plot happened because she fucked up and there were moments where she seemed to show regret, but I was overall disappointed because the movie advertised a JOURNEY, and that beautiful scenery was completely wasted.

Also, as somene who watched it in a movie theatre in Scotland, only the three-year-olds laughed at the jokes. All of the haggis and kilt stuff is what we hear constantly.

Before I saw Brave, I thought that Merida would've unleashed some sort of curse, and then would have to go on a long adventure with the three suitor boys. The boys would probably try to hit on her during it, and Merida would be a dick, and they'd all realise that there are bigger things at stake here so they all become pals with Merida as the leader and sort things right. At least in the actual movie they revealed that the boys weren't interested in getting married either, but aside from that it all felt pretty by-the-book.

I never quite understood the wisps either. If following them leads you to your fate, aren't you supposed to avoid them?

Best character was Billy Connolly.

>"Brave"
>main character doesn't do anything brave whatsoever

Should've just called it Bitch.

I do wonder if that's when the Mom-turns-into-a-Bear plotline happened?

She didnt develop too much on it but originally it was the mom that went to the witch, but she obviously changed that up.

The biggest conflict she mentioned was that the studio wanted the mens characters to be dorky like they were in the final cut and she was stubborn on keeping them smarter like she had written them to be ans that's what got her kicked off the set. I think she might have mentioned some changes to Merida's character that she wasn't too big on as well.

I remember I liked it when I saw it in theaters, but in retrospect I can't really remember much about the plot or anything so I guess it was just mediocre.

Too many meddling suits.

Bears, lots of bears.

Nowadays Pixar is nothing but a piggy bank for Disney, it's sad, really.

Crap. I noticed that too. At least King Fergus was more justifiably paranoid, but yeah, the guys were pretty dumb all around. I wish we couldve seen how it was originally intended.

Anything else on what she planned for the plot, if there wasn't and bear shenanigans?

massive bush

Did a complete 180 from the trailer.

A visually-appealing movie I'm talking about the environment and the scenery, get your mind out of the gutter with an overall-meh plot. Good for one watch, but shouldn't have won the BAF Oscar.

Pic related, what should have won the BAF Oscar.

She didn't speak too much about the bear shenanigans, but she said that the movie was supposed to focus on a mother and daughter coming to forgive and understand each other. I can imagine that if she didn't want the men to be so goofy then the bear shenanigans wouldn't be so prominent.

Damn. I would've still wanted an adventure, though. A "road trip" between Merida and (still human) Elinor to break a different kind of curse (maybe freezing the clans in place in the middle of a discussion?) would've been awesome. Merida could be irresponsible and admit that if they keep the curse in place, they could avoid the clans fighting (and just run off), while Elinor could stand for what's right and argue that they should heal everyone, even if if might make them fight for a bit, because then they could eventually sort things out. But doing so wouldn't make Merida look like a villain, since the scene where she admits that could also show how much pressure has been on her this whole time, and Elinor could have a "oh man I've been too strict haven't I" realisation.

I'm just throwing up ideas.

>Believing the feminist when she says she was kicked off the movie for wanting the men to be smart.

Brave was on its way to being as much of a train wreck as Toy Story before the rewrite.

>Brave was on its way to being as much of a train wreck as Toy Story before the rewrite.

>source myass.gov

Haven't watched it.

A weird movie that didnt know what it wanted to be. Best character was the dad, and Im a sucker for highland music

i hated it and thought the main girl was a bitch

Nice character, the story was a mess.

Trailers had me hype and I was thoroughly disappointed. Pretty much marks the point where I stopped giving a shit about Pixar.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

your ideas are so much better than what we got, it's making me sad

Why didn't Wreck It Ralph win the Oscar?

The film is underwhelming regardless.

Fuckin-A. There were so many better animated movies that year, the fact Pixar's won is only proof of much they suck on the Oscar's dick.

For the record, I'm all good with Pixar winning as long as it's a GOOD movie, but Brave is so....meh....

Merida was a babe. Movie could have been better, though. Maybe if they took a page or two from HTTYD it could have worked out a bit better.

It just wasn't an interesting story. I like these characters but the bear transformation just lost me as something worthwhile to follow.

It wasn't good storytelling. Oh look, another vaguely worded wish goes wrong, that hacky scenario isn't one I'd expect to make it into a Pixar film.

Merida is simply an asshole here, she is not presented in a good light when we elects to obtain a *curse* to place on her mother. The scene where her mom is trying to reach out to her, Merida is still pushing the cursed cake on her. She does not come across well here.

There is no gradual awakening, Merida never mends her ways really, she ends up *getting* her way in the end.

Pixar stories tend to be these highly-polished things and this was typical shallow Hollywood fare.

The movie feels like a direct-to-video sequel of Brave instead of being the Brave movie itself.

It wasn't too bad, if I'm being honest. Just not great either.

because only Pixar win Oscars

On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes the film has a rating of 92%, based on 86 reviews, with an average rating of 7.9/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "A Bug's Life is a rousing adventure that blends animated thrills with witty dialogue and memorable characters - and another smashing early success for Pixar."[31] Another review aggregator, Metacritic, gave the film a score of 77 out of 100, based on 23 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".[32]

Sounds pretty well received, to me.

You people are aware that Brenda Chapman directed Prince of Egypt, right? She's clearly got chops. She isn't an idiot who is solely driven by a political agenda.

>there is no gradual awakening
>Merida never mends her ways
Did you pass out for the entire second half of the movie? That is basically what the entire second half of the movie is.

This isn't even true and has never been true. The award was basically made as The Shrek Award.

I really like Brave, but I understand that people were a bit upset because they went in expecting Mulan 2.0 "look at this girl kick ass!" (which it was marketed as) when this movie was literally all about how that ass-kicking stereotype would in reality just get you in a huge mess and you need to /also/ be able to like, talk about your emotions, reason with others, and reach a mutual understanding, be honest with one another, etc. Flinging arrows at things can't solve all of your problems.

>The Shrek Award.

what?

3/5 Movie.
Get's more hate than it deserves as a movie on it's own but when you compare it to what it was hyped to be, I kind of get it.

It doesn't help that it beat out a superior movie for the Oscar.