Coin collecting

Do you have currency from other countries? Could be bills, coins or maybe old currency from your old country

Bonus points for pics

Yes. Now it is other country.

Do you have old Russian coins?

Yes, I have one.

Boт y cтapых мoнeт былa ЭCTETИКA. Жaль мoнeты пocлe 1950-х (кpoмe aмepикaнcких) cтилeм пoхвacтaтьcя нe мoгyт

That's pretty nice, I've always liked how they used negative space on the upper lettering
I have some 3 kopecks and this little thing in bad shape.

Also I REALLY want a first platinum coin in the world but it's too expensive and rare.

>ywn spend a farthing

I usually take the equivalent of 15€ or their 2 smallest notes, and what ever coins I leave with
I have
USD
CAD
Hungarian forints
Czech crowns
Danish crowns
British pounds
Japanese yen
And
Mexican pesos

It's usually cheaper and more interesting than buying a real souvenir

How much can one of those costs?

>It's usually cheaper and more interesting than buying a real souvenir
That's true. Especially the smaller coins

Ukrainian People's Republic
50 karbovanets 1918

$10000 - $15000

wew

How rare is one of those? What's on the back?

I collect currency from every country I visit. Will post a pic shortly.

it's not so rare, costs about $ 5-10.

... here we go.

All countries I've visited, although I forgot to take paper currency from a handful of places. Really wish I'd remembered to preserve my notes from Bosnia, Georgia, Iceland, and Kazakhstan, among a few others.

Been to quite a few places in the European Union but didn't bother saving euros.

I have a much larger coin collection at home -- Georgian lari, Icelandic kroner, British pounds, and so forth. Recently moved into a new apartment and didn't want to be burdened keeping track of so many little pieces of currency.

>tfw just calculated and I have about ~$200 USD in meme notes plus an estimated $50 USD in meme coins at home

Yesterday I found a Turkish coin, it is very similar to the Brazilian one

Really? I thought it would be more expensive. But it's still more expensive than Russian notes from the same age.

That's a impressive collection. The ones you name it are really rare countries, and Kazakh notes are gorgeous.
I'm jelly of those Armenian notes, but how did you get to Tanzania?

Last year I did:

>May --> Ecuador
>June and July --> Mexico
>July and August --> Egypt and Tanzania
>August through January --> India (eighth time there)

Tanzania was just part of a lengthy trip I took in 2017.

One of my close friends was volunteering with Peace Corps Tanzania for two and a half years. He'd been living in a rural village in Zanzibar the entire time. Since we hadn't seen each other since his deployment began, I decided to visit him on my way over to India.

I'd initially budgeted to spend a couple months there, but four weeks were more than enough. Really interesting place but there was shit-all to do around the village after a couple days. I had a great time renting a motorbike and riding around, though.

aesthetic coin

1 turkish lira is barely more cheaper than 1 real, I don't know how it kept circulating.

That sounds like a great time. How do you find time do to that stuff and why so many times to India?

>Zanzibar
Never went to the continent, or was the island better than the rest of Tanzania?

I'm a talent-less hack who's graduating university late. I also earn a fair amount of money from writing, which sustains me well enough in the developing world.

I did visit mainland Africa in Egypt as well as Tanzania. However, I spent the brunt of my time in Zanzibar. While the island isn't particularly large, it has a distinct culture compared to the mainland. It's Muslim-majority, although the Muslims there are quite different than those you'd find in the Middle-East or South Asia. Many still adhered to tribal superstitions -- fear of sorcery was rampant in the interior.

Mainland Tanzania is quite beautiful, but I'm also not a big fan of beaches to begin with. I personally found the Zanzibar seashore to be a bit overrated -- I've seen better sands in Latin America and India.

>India

My first girlfriend is from Delhi, so the first two visits were for her. After we broke up, I already had a sort of sentimental attachment to India and decided to come back again. Made lots of friends, developed an interest in the local languages, histories, and culture, and haven't been able to keep away since.

Certainly a country with lots of problems, but it's well-worth the time if you're the sort of person who isn't totally put off by poverty and third-world inconveniences.

Have my dead fathers coin collection, boxes of old British stuff. Plan to sort through it all one day.

I have some pajeet notes, too.
I feel filthy just looking at them.

I only have this polskicoin that my bf gave me

"Boyfriend" are you the grill who is still crushing on some Polish guy she never even dated?

but we actually dated irl

>we actually date irl
>by irl I mean we used to video chat once per week

i'm rich

Some Euros, Czech Corunna, Candian loonies and pennies, and some worthless Carribean coins the grocery store gave me as change.

no, I mean irl, do you believe he sent me that coing by mail or something?

Last time you mentioned him, you made it seem like you were friends and wanted more but it never happened.

>Corunna
*Koruna

ah, maybe you missed the part when I actually met an Sup Forums polish guy here, not the guy from lower silesia that I used to chat with

I thought you had some relatives in India for going so many times. What's your best memory from it, or something you didn't expected to find?

How's Tanzania compared to the rest of Africa? Is it safer, cheaper?

Do you see any silver? Don't clean that stuff though.

I'm sure that coin is worth more than some current Venezuelan notes in metal alone

>best memory from India

Can't pick one, honestly.

Even in the last five months, I just had too many experiences -- getting drunk in a slum, riding a motorbike through the mountains, wading on an isolated stretch of beach on the east coast. Hitchhiking with members of isolated tribes, exploring the jungles in a restive part of the country, or waking up to see snow capping the Himalayan foothills.

Learning how to ride a motorbike in Delhi back in 2015 was a blast, though. I have no idea how I didn't die.

>Tanzania versus the rest of Africa

I can't really say -- the only two African countries I've been to are Egypt and Tanzania.

My Peace Corps friend spent some time in Zimbabwe, Zambia, Ethiopia, and maybe another country or two. He seemed to have a great time everywhere he went.

Tanzania, on the whole, is fairly safe, although you have to watch your back in big cities like Dar and Arusha. Express kidnappings and muggings happen in the capital with some regularity -- but the locals will quite literally murder any thief they catch. In Zanzibar, the hacking of limbs or impromptu execution of cattle rustlers was de facto law.

It's definitely a cheap place, but the main attractions in Tanzania cost tons to properly visit. You'll pay hundreds of dollars per day to visit Kilimanjaro, the Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater, and so forth.

Well, I've only looked briefly but some of the old European coins look silver. Not sure about any of the British stuff. I have some Sovereigns (gold) but they are separate.
It's not all British and there is absolutely KGs of coin. I'm sure there will be some valuable stuff in there, but haven't got round to sorting through any of it yet. It would be worth more on the value of the coin than the weight of any precious metal though.

I was thinking about crafting something out of the lesser value old/cool coins. Not sure what.

It seems I have to go for now, thanks to everybody.

You can do a lot of stuff with cheap rusty coins, but you better check if it's actually worthless. Nobody sells coins on its melt value, unless they are unintelligible or ruined.
Spend some time looking for their value, and you could take some pics for a next thread.

I thought it would be more expensive on the touristic places.
And it doesn't seem you ever had a bad time on your adventures.

I have this one from Argentina in my wallet, no longer in use i guess.

>Iraq
>india
>nepal
>colombia
>etc

tfw haven't even been to canada

I have some can post in detail if you want.

My most rare being the 2 murcan dollans. I got at a money exchange from a nice lady when I was still a kid.