China will develop the first genetically enhanced 'superhumans', experts predict

scroll.in/article/813058/the-future-of-genetic-enhancement-is-in-china-and-not-the-west

For TLDR
>China is set to lead the world in genetic enhancement, as many Western countries deem this science to be unethical and too dangerous to pursue
>China has more approving attitudes of old-fashioned eugenics programs.
>Was the first to edit genes of human embryos using the CRISPR-cas9 tool.
>China could become competitive on world stage forcing others to join

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Epigenetics-Genetic-Theory-Disease-Transmission/dp/1590791495
youtube.com/watch?v=q3SwWpENRGY
nature.com/news/uk-scientists-gain-licence-to-edit-genes-in-human-embryos-1.19270
youtu.be/4ym94wNlHAA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Coast
youtube.com/watch?v=jAhjPd4uNFY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Would you want to alter your future children’s genes to make them smarter, stronger or better-looking? As the state of the science brings prospects like these closer to reality, an international debate has been raging over the ethics of enhancing human capacities with biotechnologies such as so-called smart pills, brain implants and gene editing. This discussion has only intensified in the past year with the advent of the CRISPR-cas9 gene editing tool, which raises the specter of tinkering with our DNA to improve traits like intelligence, athleticism and even moral reasoning.

>So are we on the brink of a brave new world of genetically enhanced humanity? Perhaps. And there’s an interesting wrinkle: It’s reasonable to believe that any seismic shift toward genetic enhancement will not be centered in Western countries like the US or the UK, where many modern technologies are pioneered. Instead, genetic enhancement is more likely to emerge out of China.

No suprise really. I hope they succeed.

Attitudes toward enhancement

Numerous surveys among Western populations have found significant opposition to many forms of human enhancement. For example, a recent Pew study of 4,726 Americans found that most would not want to use a brain chip to improve their memory, and a plurality view such interventions as morally unacceptable.

>A broader review of public opinion studies found significant opposition in countries like Germany, the US and the UK to selecting the best embryos for implantation based on nonmedical traits like appearance or intelligence. There is even less support for editing genes directly to improve traits in so-called designer babies.

>Opposition to enhancement, especially genetic enhancement, has several sources. The above-mentioned Pew poll found that safety is a big concern – in line with experts who say that tinkering with the human genome carries significant risks. These risks may be accepted when treating medical conditions, but less so for enhancing nonmedical traits like intelligence and appearance. At the same time, ethical objections often arise. Scientists can be seen as “playing God” and tampering with nature. There are also worries about inequality, creating a new generation of enhanced individuals who are heavily advantaged over others. Brave New World is a dystopia, after all.

They're wasting their time. The US knows the future of combat isn't it genetic engineering. What's the point of making humans 10% stronger when you can just make machines to do everything for you.

>inb4 "what about non-wartime applications"

If the 'superhumans' are as smart as China will claim them to be they'll be emigrating to the West before China can stop them.

>However, those studies have focused on Western attitudes. There has been much less polling in non-Western countries. There is some evidence that in Japan there is similar opposition to enhancement as in the West. Other countries, such as China and India, are more positive toward enhancement. In China, this may be linked to more generally approving attitudes toward old-fashioned eugenics programs such as selective abortion of fetuses with severe genetic disorders, though more research is needed to fully explain the difference. This has led Darryl Macer of the Eubios Ethics Institute to posit that Asia will be at the forefront of expansion of human enhancement.

>Restrictions on gene editing

>In the meantime, the biggest barrier to genetic enhancement will be broader statutes banning gene editing. A recent study found bans on germline genetic modification – that is, those that are passed on to descendants – are in effect throughout Europe, Canada and Australia. China, India and other non-Western countries, however, have laxer regulatory regimes – restrictions, if they exist, are often in the form of guidelines rather than statutes.

>The US may appear to be an exception to this trend. It lacks legal restriction of gene editing; however, federal funding of germline gene editing research is prohibited. Because most geneticists rely on government grants for their research, this acts as a significant restriction on germline editing studies.

>By contrast, it was Chinese government funding that led China to be the first to edit the genes of human embryos using the CRISPR-cas9 tool in 2015. China has also been leading the way in using CRISPR-cas9 for non-germline genetic modifications of human tissue cells for use in treatment of cancer patients.

>There are, then, two primary factors contributing to emergence of genetic enhancement technologies – research to develop the technologies and popular opinion to support their deployment. In both areas, Western countries are well behind China.

I cannot adequately describe how depressed I am that the future God Emperor and his Primarchs are going to be fucking chinks.

It is incredibly upsetting. I implore America to reconsider.

without fake human right and ethics boundaries you can do whatever you want

the well-known story about the chinese success

>What makes China a probable petri dish

>A further, more political factor may be at play. Western democracies are, by design, sensitive to popular opinion. Elected politicians will be less likely to fund controversial projects, and more likely to restrict them. By contrast, countries like China that lack direct democratic systems are thereby less sensitive to opinion, and officials can play an outsize role in shaping public opinion to align with government priorities. This would include residual opposition to human enhancement, even if it were present. International norms are arguably emerging against genetic enhancement, but in other arenas China has proven willing to reject international norms in order to promote its own interests.

>Indeed, if we set ethical and safety objections aside, genetic enhancement has the potential to bring about significant national advantages. Even marginal increases in intelligence via gene editing could have significant effects on a nation’s economic growth. Certain genes could give some athletes an edge in intense international competitions. Other genes may have an effect on violent tendencies, suggesting genetic engineering could reduce crime rates.

>Many of these potential benefits of enhancement are speculative, but as research advances they may move into the realm of reality. If further studies bear out the reliability of gene editing in improving such traits, China is well-poised to become a leader in the area of human enhancement.

>Does this matter?

>Aside from a preoccupation with being the best in everything, is there reason for Westerners to be concerned by the likelihood that genetic enhancement is apt to emerge out of China?

>If the critics are correct that human enhancement is unethical, dangerous or both, then yes, emergence in China would be worrying. From this critical perspective, the Chinese people would be subject to an unethical and dangerous intervention – a cause for international concern. Given China’s human rights record in other areas, it is questionable whether international pressure would have much effect. In turn, enhancement of its population may make China more competitive on the world stage. An unenviable dilemma for opponents of enhancement could emerge – fail to enhance and fall behind, or enhance and suffer the moral and physical consequences.

>Conversely, if one believes that human enhancement is actually desirable, this trend should be welcomed. As Western governments hem and haw, delaying development of potentially great advances for humanity, China leads the way forward. Their increased competitiveness, in turn, would pressure Western countries to relax restrictions and thereby allow humanity as a whole to progress – becoming healthier, more productive and generally capable.

>Either way, this trend is an important development. We will see if it is sustained – public opinion in the U.S. and other countries could shift, or funding could dry up in China. But for now, it appears that China holds the future of genetic enhancement in its hands.

will china's first batch of superhumans exterminate japan?

HAN SUPREMACY WORLD WIDE

This is "3D printing will change everything". Intelligence is far to complicated.

We will probably see more success with traditional eugenics programs and selective breeding, rather than tinkering with individual genes.

you can do this with mineral therapy already, there's no need to spend so much money on research lol.

amazon.com/Epigenetics-Genetic-Theory-Disease-Transmission/dp/1590791495

this is a violation of free will too, it will be punished accordingly by nature through timeline dynamics and karmic consequences.

In the future the wealthy will have genetically tailored beauties, genius Olympian children, while millions of poor kids starve to death.

I want genetic modification for cute lolis that won't age

Im sure the kids will turn out like their elevators and factories, a complete trainwreck.

Beautiful isn't it?

At least they'll be Christian Chinks

Western approach is centered at extending the lifespans of existing people, while China would have to replace their populace and raise it from scratch. That alone makes for a considerable time gap in experienced individuals.

And then there is the question of how Chinese are willing to monitor these enhancements. Given their record with other cutting edge technologies, they may as well create a generation infested with some super cancer.

Sounds good. They'll experiment on their people, and we'll reap the benefits if it works.

Hopefully they will one day cure cancer as well.

>not genetically modifying the entire population through the water supply
Fucking lol

>mfw blacks get cucked out of existence by chinks with science instead of penetration

Konnichiwa Malaysia-san

Don't worry. If we got something about asian envy, they're going to genetically engineer themselves into aryans

That's because west is obsessed with equality but when it actually comes to achieving it they shy away.

God only knows why.

I have to disagree

3D printing was a bubble pushed by companies that wanted to get rich, which failed because most of those companies are either bankrupt or close to being bankrupt.

Genetic manipulation has always been a thing us humans did

We select breeded dogs and other animals to benefit us.

We breed with the most fit people so that our children would survive.

We will take a leap when we can edit each individual gene and then edit each individual snp.

There is just too much benefit in gene editing. We will come around.

good

because of asians like china and japan we dont need to worry about niggers destroying the world

>implying the western lefties will not create the Ubernigger race while keeping the white man down.

Remember: Murphy's law

>superhuman
>asian

pick one. Will they still be as naturally autistic as asians are today? Like we really need smarter, stronger and faster soulless resource hoarders on the planet..

That's what happens when an entire people share a hive mentality and have literally no ethics or morality

China's a shithole. If this sort of thing is actually as good as they say, every other country that cares to (or can actually utilize it) will walk in, steal it, and walk out.

>mfw Africa will be populated by superhuman Chinks

>inb4 they just make White People

I think gene editing has a lot of potential, just not for intelligence, and it's the only thing that really matters.

Maybe we can make people stronger and have them glow in the dark or something.

Compared to a couple of generations of selective breeding having the potential to build a race of IQ 150 people.

>China gets a new generation of physically capable, cancer free, 120+ IQ babies
>Meanwhile in the West, specially America, people say it's either against Jesus or poor people and don't do it

The East will overshadow the west completely in a single decade.

I cannot fucking believe that Captain China is going to exist before Captain America

>Chinese science
top wew

Of course they will do that. They will do it in a manner that shortens everyone's life span and gives a good portion of the others zika. Depopulation.

hopefully they fail

>he fell for the "China will become Christian meme"

They will be Chinese atheists and you know it.

we gundam seed now

I hope not. We should be doing this. But we won't. Even if China fails, it still has billions more disposable assets to use. Especially Falun Gong practitioners.

hopefully you will too.

Dysgenics is suicide.

Good thing China is amoral as fuck, eh?

>Brain chip
>What is the mark of the beast
Gee, what could possibly go wrong if I insert a chip that remotely injects hormones and DNA-altering substances into my brain

Are any Chinese even reading this?

Anyway, best of luck to them.

Seriously, so many people in the west are like "Idiocracy is a warning film!". Then people want to prevent it and suddenly the same people go "oh we can't do that!".

Why have this OR cybernetics/robots?
Do both.

ikr? bet it will automatically connect to a wifi hotspot nearby and download weedneedles right into my brain! wtf!?

Fuck you. I know you're right.

I, for one, will welcome my Asian overlords.

Good, Chinks need to overtake West so badly in this, that western nations have no option but lift whatever retarded bans there are.
Genetic engineering is something we should be going at full force.

3D printing was only a bubble and a fad for the general population.
People rushed in to buy expensive printers and then realized that you need +4 years of experience with art, to be able to produce anything meaningful.
For many industries, it's a great way to manufacture things fast and cheap and it's far from a meaningless fad.

It didn't fail, not by a longshot. It's still in use and thriving.
Of course if you mean the general popultion, then you're right about it being a practically useless bubble.

youtube.com/watch?v=q3SwWpENRGY

good , hopefully in 20 years when Im in my 40s I can "engineer" my own child and take out all the fucking shit genes I got from my lineage that has basically ruined my life,. (genetic illnesses).

>brain chip
Ok, I can see a shitload of issues here, that's fine

>high efficiency artificial blood
Oh come the fuck on people, where the fuck is the problem here?

The problem is that anytime someone has a designer baby, they will be setting the code in a specific pattern instead of letting nature randomize the stats.

Eventually there will be a virus that targets that specific pattern that is found everywhere in designer babies leading to a great die off.

>implying

this is why i hate China

>sweden

Deal with it.

Well they'd be foolish not to engineer in a kill-switch, wouldn't they? The advantage to being immoral fucks is that it wouldn't even be an issue.

Thank you, Lao Yang

also ill bet theyll be more likely to get cancer or bad genetic disorders.

>Necrons

Chinese are soulless robots already.

t. fedoralord

I can see the issues with brain chips as well. But genetic therapy and artificial blood? That could solve a shit-load of problems. As well as stop blood shortages. It can also be used to protect against blood-borne pathogens.

The west is full of retarded "muh feels" fucks. The future should be nice, longer life spans, and perhaps sex-bots.

You hate China because they are audacious and have balls? Ok, I can believe that. After all, you are Sweden.

>Eventually there will be a virus that targets that specific pattern that is found everywhere in designer babies leading to a great die off.

So are you saying there is a virus that could target for instance....skin color?

>China is set to lead the world in genetic enhancement, as many Western countries deem this science to be unethical and too dangerous to pursue

not only this, they are pursuing immigration policies which, in eugenics terms, could be described as 'anti-improvement' even though they are portrayed by western media as improving eg. hybrid vigor meme.

Because it forces sanctimonious ivory tower types to face reality? Because ethics are a game played by those privileged by peace and wealth? Time to grow up, shednigger.

Not an argument. Back to your shed, Sven.

>edit the genes of human embryos using the CRISPR-cas9 tool
How come?

China is testing on Non Viable embryo's.
Uk is testing on viable's.

UK BEST?

nature.com/news/uk-scientists-gain-licence-to-edit-genes-in-human-embryos-1.19270

i hate them because they create the technology that the globalists are going too use to stay in power forever

>>Was the first to edit genes of human embryos using the CRISPR-cas9 tool.
>>China could become competitive on world stage forcing others to join+ 0 post omitted.Anonymous (ID: k9dtjtwe)
>08/15/16(Mon)10:29:18 No.85405089

1. Those embryos were triploid and would have never lived past the cell stage

2. Genetics is still a baby science only less than 60 years ago we knew the structure of DNA. We do not know what genetic changes will make you smarter or have a bigger dick (yet)

3. China's genetics program is second rate. Most Chinese scientists get training in the West for one. And even though the Chinese are outspending any nation now in science they cannot compete with innovation (where was CRISPR invented in the US)

4. STOP PUSHING THIS CHINA IS A GREAT GENETIC POWER MEME YOU DIDN'T SEQUENCE THE HUMAN GENOME THE WEST DID. YOU DIDN'T DISCOVER INTRONS OR DNA STRUCTURE OR RNA CODON CODE, IT WAS THE WEST

CHINA IS A SECOND TIER SCIENCE NATION AND NO ONE HAS TO WORRY FOR THE NEXT 30-50 YEARS

Also I'm a geneticist and the Chinks I've worked with are dumb as shit. Hard to find a good Chink and when they are good, they stay in the US (but usually still have some ties with the mainland)

>we syphon filter now

Ethics are the downfall of the west.
Not only Philosophy is useless, it even managed to make us inferior to Chinks.

>"Orbital Stations online, begin bombardment of Areas formally Known as United States and Europe. its about time we cleaned out the garbage."

>DNA-altering substances
What did he mean by this?

OP is probably an Aussie zipperhead that bought the meme of China being a science superpower but doesn't actually work with the fucking Chinks

>it's so tiresome

Did you know that you can kill viruses with CRISPR/cas9? CRISPR is used in bacteria to fight viruses.

Once we identify a virus it will be eliminated. Out immune system is going to get a massive artificial boost in the next few decades.

HIV will likely be eliminated in a few years.

youtu.be/4ym94wNlHAA

you wont beat the chinese.

they will inherit the Earth. they are one billion strong. dont care about Human rights. and Nationalist as fuck.

thats WHY you hate them. they will carry on our work.

>whites become extinct
>Chinks have no shame about "playing god" and "tampering with things man was not meant to touch"
>Chinks value basically the Aryan ideal: blond, blue eyed, tall and fit geniuses
>tfw China recreates the white race with genetic engineering long after the West has fallen

Bring it on!

We hold life to be sacred, but we also know the foundation of life consists in a stream of codes not so different from the successive frames of a watchvid. Why then cannot we cut one code short here, and start another there? Is life so fragile that it can withstand no tampering? Does the sacred brook no improvement?

Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, "Dynamics of Mind"

The Globalists couldn't even keep their emails safe from a gypsy hacker. People will find a way around exclusivity. They always have.

>There are also worries about inequality, creating a new generation of enhanced individuals who are heavily advantaged over others.
FUCK THE SJWs.
JUST DO IT!

CHINA!
DO!
IT!

through the Chinks. Mankind will survive.

>that pic

Holy fuck, Aussie. You want to kill me?

Well, it isnt really a kill switch, but lets say they discover which gene can target any cells that are acting retarded, kill them off, so they dont reproduce and cause aging.

Eventually, every new baby is born with that altered gene, because why not right?

So then in some 3d world country (IE everywhere) there is a group of radical people, angry about facing eventual death while the ruling elite are forever young engineer a virus, or find a vulnerability because of that gene sequence.

potentially, its a very interesting area and while I feel it wont really lead to " Super humans " because you will basically not be a human anymore, just engineered for a specific task.

Skin color is too difficult to pinpoint currently. If you wanted to kill all blacks, it would target something like sickle cell. I mean, all black people carry specific genetic markers, but we have them too for the most part. It would be a lot less difficult to make a virus to kill whites honestly.

Overall, its going to happen. We need to engineer people with ultra slow metabolisms for space travel, its going to be fucked up, really fucked up in 1000 years, like Man after man fucked up

Have you ever bought a new car, then the following year the car company released a newer improved version? I have.

That's why I've been married since 2009 and don't yet have children.

So, the same type of people against this are the ones that are for banning bedtime stories because it might be unfair to other children, especially minorities?

Well shit, what are we waiting for?

Well, virus was more of an example. Its just when everyone has THE SAME marker and its only found 99% in that group of people, it opens the door for a vulnerability to be exploited by a virus, or even a natural process internally we havent expected.

I am 100% behind genetic engineering and any good or bad results

This is already the reality. Some people are born with more talent, more health, more potential than others. All the development of human genetic engineering does is take away the dice from mother nature and let us play how we wish. Preferring the status quo is just resignation and an admission not only of powerlessness, but of an utter dismissal of the possibility that we might do better. It is an expression of moribund pessimism.

>wanting them to become Christcucks

Just in time for the kikes to jump the western ship, eh? Post a timestamp of your schnotz, Schlomo.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Coast
>Research on birth control methods to reduce the black birth rate was one such area. Daan Goosen, the managing director of Roodeplaat Research Laboratories between 1983 and 1986, told Tom Mangold of the BBC that Project Coast supported a project to develop a contraceptive that would have been applied clandestinely to blacks. Goosen reported that the project had developed a vaccine for males and females and that the researchers were still searching for a means by which it could be delivered to make blacks sterile without making them aware. Testimony given at the Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC) suggested that Project Coast researchers were also looking into putting birth control substances in water supplies.[9][10]

Imagine if apartheid never ended, they would have wiped Africa of blacks.

>genetically sculpted super humans
>still inferior chinks
literally cannot make this shit up, lmao.

I am mostly excited by the prospect of engineering specific behavior patterns so you could have a short lifespan, hard working human born with instinctual desire to labor/clean with little direction

Chinks are doing the right thing.
Genetic engineering is the future of mankind.
A vid that sheds some light to the subject pretty decently:
youtube.com/watch?v=jAhjPd4uNFY

Eugenics Wars when?

By the time, we will be able to create superhumans, we would have already created AI sentience millions times smarter than humans. Fleshbags are going to be redundant soon.

If gene therapy is going to become a "thing", can a date and breed with black women now?

The most wise and gifted people are almost always Christians, most atheists are on the spectrum to a degree.
Name one atheist who is intelligent and definitely conclusively not on the spectrum.
I mean famous characters, normal people can think what they want.