Why was this so highly praised?

It wasn't bad but it was mediocre at best. Just because something isn't total shit doesn't mean it's great either.

Tim burton movies will always be artificially liked despite being shit.

I didn't see it but the trailer made it look cool.

but it wasn't universally liked
general consensus was it looked good but had mediocre writing, which is standard for laika

cool animation shit everything else desu

Because 'Muh stop-motion'

*ahem*

I hate it. The music is totally off the mark
The story and dialogue talking literally about story is preachy

Rooney Mara's assassin is the only thing good about it

>It was mediocre
It was good, expectations for stop animation films are grossly inflated because A Nightmare Before Christmas set such and incredibly high standard.

The thing is, this wasn't a musical it was an hero adventure story. It's main flaw is that Beetle's incorporation into the group was a bit rushed and they could have used a couple more segments for character development.

Politics.

Company who made it are progressive darlings so critics give them an extra point for Right Think.

What's so progressive about it

the beetle blacking kubo's white mother

Is 8.4/10 "highly praised?"

Yes?

>going by the audience score instead of the tomatometer

Bet you think you were smarter than that guy? Uh retard?

All that says is 97% of critics rated it above 6/10.

With a title like that there should be no background on that poster

It's Certified Fresh, bitch.

They actually rated it higher than 8/10 in fact it was 8.4 which is pretty good

Nothing.

Like I said it's bonus points because of the company's public political stances.

Like how the NBA does a lot of pro-transgender public relations, but their onfield players are just dudes.

Or how the NFL does a lot of feminist centric P.R. but all of their players are obviously men.

Laika/Phil Knight are big on progressive causes, so a lot of critics give them a Good Goy bump.

you realise that is a movie primarily targeted to kids right? i mean... if we just take a look to the bullshit movies that kids watch today, like minions, angry birds, MCU, DCEU... i wish there were more of this movies out there.

this