/DJT/ Daily Japanese Thread

DJT is a language learning thread designed by and for those studying the Japanese language.

Read the Guide linked below before asking how to learn Japanese:
djtguide.neocities.org/
Check the Cornucopia of Resources before asking where to download X or Y:
djtguide.neocities.org/cor.html

Archive of older threads: desuarchive.org/int/search/subject/Daily Japanese Thread/

Previous thread: →

Let's keep it going folks! For the new sekai!

Other urls found in this thread:

kanken.or.jp/bjt/english/
jlpt.jp/e/about/pdf/cdslist_e_all.pdf
hana-ken.com/hanaken/index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

japanese is suffering

I just learned there's tests even higher than the N1

oh my lawd

You referring to 漢字検定? Or is there some super secret N0 I don't know about?

there's no pleasure without suffering, in a certain way japanese is the greatest thing you'll ever learn

Maybe this.
kanken.or.jp/bjt/english/

Beginner here, can somebody explain when to use ですand when to use ます?
Also what first person pronoun would an adult man use when speaking? Ore/Boku/Watashi?

After you clear N1, apparantly, there's THREE ladders waiting for you

the Nihongo Kentei ladder

then the Hana Ken ladder

then after all that, you have the Kanji Kentei ladder as a bonus. but it doesn't involve grammar so it's not mandatory to know the language and is mostly to show off

then after THAT, you can learn old japanese if you really really want to drive yourself mad.

it seems that in traditional areas of grammar, Hanaken 1 is the ultimate test. But the gap between JLPT N1 and Hanaken 3 is apparantly SO HUGE that you are forced into the Nihongo Kentei ladder before you can even think of the Hanaken 3.

Wait, but N1 is effectively as fluent as a native speaker at like a high school level right?

Passing N1 means you're effectively as fluent as a gaijin who can pass N1.

>Beginner here, can somebody explain when to use ですand when to use ます?
usually I hate these kind of answers myself, but please read any sort of grammar guide first and then ask again when you have trouble understand specific aspects

>Also what first person pronoun would an adult man use when speaking? Ore/Boku/Watashi?
depends on the context, all three are possible 私 is used for formal occasions and would sound rather girlish when talking to your peers
僕 is more "manly" but still in a rather young, light, friendly way
俺 is the most colloquial, assertive and "rough" one

very helpful, ty

>Hana Ken
What's this?

The majority of people who passed N1 say they cannot read a novel, understand television news, or express their opinions.

jlpt.jp/e/about/pdf/cdslist_e_all.pdf

To clarify a little, passing the N1 doesn't actually say much about someone's actual fluency in Japanese. If you can pass N1, you almost certainly know enough Japanese to get by in certain circumstances, but most of the people who pass N1 are nowhere near the level of a "native (high school-aged) speaker". In fact if someone was truly at that level of Japanese, I can't even imagine why they'd bother taking the JLPT at all. The thing with the JLPT (and language proficiency testing in general, especially when aimed at foreign speakers) is that by their nature they essentially have to test in a way which makes it relatively easy to learn to take the test, rather than actually improving your command of a language in an actionable way. Lots of people have passed the N1 without actually being competent in the language for this very reason.

木野の足袋。

When should we consider a thread successful enough to warrant an edition number increase? Is 100+ posts a good number?

Otherwise it just becomes .5, .6 etc.

maybe it would be the best to just drop them all together
it puts needless pressure on keeping the thread going when it's literally doing nothing but dying, which decreases the overall quality
I think on Sup Forums with a split userbase it needs to be more flexible and there are plenty of people with pics for the OP to just start a new one without worrying if it's appropriate to use this or that number

there've been so many broken threads that the numbers aren't correct anymore anyway

>What's this?

hana-ken.com/hanaken/index.html

Hana Ken is the JLPT on steroids.

It's geared towards native japanese speakers. It gives ZERO fucks if you have 10 N1 certificates. If you're not native it kicks your fucking ass and tells you to go home with your tail between your legs.

It costs $150 to take by the way. And has a written essay component and a spoken component where you are measured on speaking ability.

It's heavily advised you take the Nihongo Kentei ladder first, which eases you into it.

btw, you will have to move to japan if you're interested in either of these. if you don't want to move to japan, it's BJT time for you

well you dont have to move to japan but you'll need a plane ticket to get there anyway, so if you want to spend $1,000 every year just to take a test, well go for it man.

Cool. I'll likely never take, especially now that I know the はな in はなけん is from 話. I was just curious about what it was.