When people say "Canadian cartoons are the worst"...

When people say "Canadian cartoons are the worst", shouldn't they mean "Canadian cartoons made since ~2004 are the worst"?

I mean, they were never flawless, but it seems that before the days of Johnny Test and Total Drama Island, they had a better batting average (i.e. Clone high, Reboot).

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bETCusT5kNM
youtube.com/watch?v=DEkSzcGIfW0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

not to mention all the great shit produced by the NFB

A FUCKING LEAF

my niggas
youtube.com/watch?v=bETCusT5kNM

Pretty much.

As a Canadian in my thirties, I remember a time when Canada was in the top three for worldwide animation acclaim, for quite some time. It's a fucking disgrace, the current state of things, with our 'Canadian Content' laws via the CRTC (a goddamn puppet-board filled with ex-corporate officers from the big three media/internet providers) demanding a certain percentage of Canadian "content" in each Canadian animation production, yet not actually providing more than a pittance of tax breaks to make sure said content is actually GOOD, resulting in severely mediocre to embarrassing cultural detrius giving us a bad name.

If you're going to pass a law attempting to protect our culture against the already existent overload from south of the border, at least fucking include assistance to make sure the notion WORKS, rather than just crippling creators actually interested in producing quality material.

Reboot was never good and it's worse now.

it's not post-2004 so much as post-Adobe-Flash

remember The Raccoons? show was fkn tight

>remember The Raccoons?

How could I not?
youtube.com/watch?v=DEkSzcGIfW0

Every time there is a thread like this someone feels like popping in to complain about CanCon as the source of all the woes of the Canadian animation industry. CanCon has existed since 1968 and has jack shit to do with the current lousy state of Canadian animation.

The actual issue is that in the mid to late 90's the Shaw family created Corus entertainment as a way to buy up and consolidate a number of children's television and entertainment companies including things like Nelevana, Teletoon, and YTV. The result has been a shift in animation towards the cheaply produced drek you see today.

>'Canadian Content' laws via the CRTC demanding a certain percentage of Canadian "content" in each Canadian animation production

What the fuck are you even talking about? Those regulations only apply to the networks, not the studios. Don't mix the two up.

Yes, Canadian networks are required to air certain amounts of Canadian content, but they don't care what that is as long as it meets their quota.
Canadian animation studios, by and large, does more work for international/American clients than they do for their own country. True, this is due to tax breaks, but those clients are paying more towards the production than someone like YTV ever would.

>YTV
Do you know why we got the PJs? Because by having a Canadian host between programs, all that airtime counted towards CanCon. It's the same with radio stations. As long as the guy doing the talking is Canadian, it's CanCon.

No, they had PJs so they don't have to air commercials.

Saying what you mean is so 2003.

2 birds, 1 stone.

Corus' management of their kids channels is a complete joke. Monopolizing children's TV in Canada doesn't excuse crappy programming.

The Raccoons was bland as heck (still tolerable)

Canada used to have decent animation (like Redwall), but since digital took over it's all puppet shit. Swiveling paper-cutouts that pop from pose to pose. That's all there is, and all that there will be, until the government stops paying for shit nobody watches.

Or everyone switches to cheap 3D made in a Mumbai sweat shop.

>yfw it was between another johnny test season or season 2 of fred's head and they picked johnny test

Fred's Head was all French Teletoon's decision though.

RIP

You take that back.

I loved Camp Pining Hearts...

I will be honest, I didn't think stuff like Total Drama Island and the other shows that studio put out were that bad

the problem was they just started repeating themselves instead of trying something new

like 3 season of Total Drama was enough everything after that was a serious mistake

Glad to know there's somebody else bringing this up other than me me. A lot of the stuff people bring up about CRTC and content laws usually don't tell the whole story. (Though the guy you responded to did bring up WAY more legitimate points than usual. Usually it's some American just saying it's all due to big gubbermint.)

Secondly, if what all the American capital is demanding is stuff done quickly and cheaply, that's what the Canadian market will provide, which is what makes stuff like the NFB necessary, and even the content laws, if they were better put together.