Why the fuck is Greg given such a shitty role in the series? Everytime you seem him he's just being a deadbeat idiot...

Why the fuck is Greg given such a shitty role in the series? Everytime you seem him he's just being a deadbeat idiot. Seriously, could they have not bothered to give any older role model for Steven besides the gems? I mean really, I wouldn't even mind if he was like this as long as there was some reasoning put into it, like after Rose's passing he just kind of let go, or something, but no. He's represented like this purely for the sake of "LOL GIRLS ARE BETTER THAN GUYS"
Really, before you guys start getting assblasted over this, take a real look at how his character's influence on Steven is played out and compare it to how the gems' influence on Steven is played out. Exactly. He's made all stupid and useless just so that the gems can fit the role of Steven's caretakers/role models. It's degrading as hell and only one more reason why this show is fucking trash

He's also rich.

Greg is clearly best character.

No idea what you're talking about.

Greg is actually a moral center and is the most important role model for Steven. The dude is an emotional rock, the only time he fucked up even a little was the new years episode, and even then it was mostly Amethyst being a clingy bitch.

So... you don't watch the show at all, huh?

>I don't watch this show but I heard it's about empowered lesbians raising a boy while his dad lives in a van

What a unique and totally well-informed opinion! You definitely watched the show, understood it, and now you're critiquing it's problems! Rebecca Sugar should really be ashamed and do a better job of writing her male character!!! >:(

Yeah what the fuck are you talking about? Greg is solid as a rock now. Hell Before he got rich he worked his small car washing business which supported him and steven just well enough
Hell he probably can easy rent a home or built something on ALL THAT LAND he owns but doesnt because he doesn't want to

Steven is more of a role model for the gems than they are for him. Amethyst is a worthless bitch that latches out at people trying to help her and can't control her emotions, Pearl is an annoying bitch that refuses to resolve her issues, and Garnet is actually pretty cool but would sooner punch the shit out of everything than find another solution.

Greg is Steven's perfect role model and tries to get Steven to not be an over-emotional bitch. If you're going to pretend to watch the show, at least get something right.

I haven't seen the show since its earlier days but what I consistently remember was Greg being treated like a fucking loser. He was constantly worrying for Steven but never actually doing anything. Everytime I saw him it seemed like he was being put further and further down the bar. He seemed like he truly cared for his son and could've been a well placed character but was always being written off by his bad qualities. Meanwhile the gems could fuck everything up and would still be given more respect than him

>I don't watch the show

We've established that, already. Your opinion has been discarded accordingly.

>I haven't seen the show since its earlier days
Nope, Stop talking out of your ass. You go the fuck back and watch the fucking show right the fuck now mister.

Jesus; I feel like you have a horrible case of "Speaking before thinking"

OP here, while I'm on the topic of Steven Universe. I'd like to tackle the issue of Steven having a black girlfriend. I think it's disgusting and has no importance in the show aside from "LOL RACEMIXING" The show is centered around steven's adventures with the gems and balancing his regular life at the same time, but here you go ruining the innocence and the fun with a gf. It's idiotic and shameful. I wouldn't even mind if she was well placed or written off better but it's clear she's just there to pander and to create a shitty parallel to his parents relationship

It's okay OP. I forgive your ignorance and misplaced indignation. If every pork chop were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs.

>I stopped watching the show in it's earlier days but I assume that nothing has changed since then
>I could've tried to catch up on what's changed by watching the episodes I missed
>but instead I'm going to make a thread about how it's definitely like this despite my lack of knowledge on it

Oh (You)!

>black

>gf

She's treated more like a friend and is practically the second half of Steven's combat ability.

>Why does she have dark skin

You don't really need a reason for that. That's like saying why does this person wear their hair in a pony tail, or why is that person fat.

To be fair Greg's role didn't change much, just got a bit more fleshed out.

>treated like a fucking loser
There's a difference between how a character is viewed by certain other characters, and how the narrative is portraying them to us. The first time we encounter him, Greg is labelled "kind of a mess", and yet he actually turns out to have kept Rose's Laser Light Cannon safe for years, and he and Steven save the town from the Red Eye. Most of the time when he's included, he's giving his all for his son, and sometimes being put upon, but honestly the amount he's been put upon doesn't compare to the amount his singing career came through for him, albeit much later and in a different way than he expected.

>I haven't seen the show since its earlier days
Then why the fuck did you make this thread you dumb fucking retard?

I mean, its not like Greg is human or anything. Its not like Steven has to hang out and learn from the gems while Greg is just left in the cold or something.

Greg is simply just trying to live life.

His role hasn't changed but the context surrounding it has. The Greg-centric episodes are some of the series' best and I'm not even talking about the flashbacks. Maximum Capacity and Mr. Greg, where he deals with the emotional baggage with Amethyst and Pearl, respectively, are fantastic.

She's asian

This thread's pretty dumb, isn't it?

Garnet treats him okay but doesn't like all of his music choices.

Pearl is mad because his murdercock beat her ptsd pussy.

Amy is mad because of rejection issues from the fact that she tried to fuck him while looking like his wife and it went horribly wrong.

Once they get over that they start getting nicer. Now start watching the fucking show.

>or why is that person fat
Oh thank you for reminding me, why is every character fat in this show? Okay so every is a bit over the top, but c'mon. This show is trying so hard to force the idiotic notion that fats should not be shamed that it in itself is shameful. I mean look, there's Steven, Greg, Amethyst, Ronaldo, Rose, Sadie. What the fuck is going on? Do the show's creators actually think this is a good idea? To have so many fat characters? What kind of message is that sending to the kids? It's disgusting and ignorant, is what it is. Having one or two is okay but having so many and then putting them into high class roles is shameful, truly truly shameful

She's indian you dumb fuck. You have to be bait now.

>Steven
Poor diet

>Greg
He's middle-aged

>Amethyst
Literally the same proportions as Rose or Jasper if they were only three feet tall

>Ronaldo
I'll let you figure out why the shut-in nerd whose only social interaction is with the internet is fat

>Rose
Same proportions as Jasper, just wearing a big dress

>Sadie
An actual, literal dwarf.

her lasts name is hindi and she's got a doctor parent. Girl's got everything but the dot on her forehead.

>a bunch of humans in the USA are overweight
yeah what the fuck this is unrealistic and shows children something they've never seen before, these writers are such hacks

Go back to >>Sup Forums

I remember this exact post from almost a year ago. Nice try.

can we stop this stupid meme? not everyone in the states is a fat tard, that's as stereotypical as saying everyone in africa is a starving child

At least he's better than Steven's dead beat mom.

How much longer until its revealed that Rose is actually a shady evil bitch?

People can do bad things for good reasons, anonymous.

And not everyone in SU is fat either, the cool kids, Lars, Mayor Dewey, Vidalia, Kevin, Mr Smiley, etc.
Seem about right,

>this are the kind of retards that frequent /sug/

being a SU fan truly is suffering

*being a special snowflake Tumblretta truly is suffering

Here's a (you)

>Black
Fucking dying holy shit

no i mean, every thread about SU here is either some 'tard that doesn't watch the show at all or some faggot spouting memes, usually a mix of both

Yeah. So she's Asian

35.7 percent are.

>Greg
>shitty role model

Greg is the most based character in the show.

Iunno man, everyone acts like she was the bees knees, It just seems to me like its building up to her actually being a huge bitch.

Its like with Eddy's brother. the entire show we hear from Eddy how cool he is, but the movie comes and he's such a douche that kids end up liking the Eds and turn on Johnny.

Greg is a cool uncle but too spineless and pathetic to be a father figure. Garnet is Steven's actual father figure.

But user, Steven is his mom. This entire story is just one big fetish roleplay session for her

Eddy's brother was different though. Everyone started hating him in the end because they realized he was an abusive fuck and Eddy was only pulling good memories out because he was trying to surpress the bad ones

It's coming into sharper focus, now, but there've been hints that Rose hasn't always been honest with the other Crystal Gems (Rose's Scabbard) and carries a lot of regret about the things she did (We Need to Talk).

>LOL GIRLS ARE BETTER THAN GUYS
Where did you took this from? The gems are positive role models in a way but are clearly presented as clueless about some important bits of parenting that Greg manage to cover succesfully. We have seen his chatacter unfold in present and past and has proved time and again to be a decent human being.

Maybe you're only baiting but its a good chance to talk about how based Greg is as a chatacter. Steven couldn't have asked for a better dad.

Have you forgotten which country they're in?

>too spineless and pathetic
>puts his life on the line without a second thought anytime he's near Steven in a dangerous situation
>Gives honest useful life advice
>Lets his kid be himself and shows pride and support
>spineless and pathetic
You really need to watch the show.

Dude have you eaten board walk food?

Yes. I think she is more like a muslim girl because progress.
It's all liberal propaganda though.

Bro, in the episode where Eddy started telling kids his bro was coming back, Kevin and Rolf fucking PANICKED, think the Kankers might've too.

That alone should've told you something. And if that didn't, the caper with the map ought to have.

>character is brown
>MUST BE A MUDSLIME!

He has a point. There is a general significance placed on the females in Steven's life that isn't matched by Greg. Steven himself is some weird reformed version of his mother who is some legendary super warrior queen thing. It's continually emphasized how much he shares with his mother yet very little is mentioned of Greg's contributions to his development, despite he was the one to actually raise the kid. Greg isn't even made notable among humans. He begs people to use his car wash, lives in his van cluttered with old junk he's too emotionally stunted to let go of, failed at his own dream of being a rock star, the man can't even get a break with his character design; he's got that weird eternal mismatched suntan/sunburn, dressing and living like a slob. He's presented as this bottom tier, heavily flawed guy who was lucky enough for a space alien to fall in love with. Even his parental role is diminished by the gems just taking his kid when he's old enough to stop shitting himself. Greg is a defective character, his redeeming trait being caring for his son. He's like a hobo with a heart of gold

>puts his life on the line without a second thought anytime he's near Steven in a dangerous situation
>Gives honest useful life advice
>Can't live in the same house as his son because he's is afraid of the gems and their magic shenanigans
I suppose that's a good strategy - distance himself from Steven so he'd only need to be brave sometimes instead of all the time

Yeah but she looks Arabic.

Arabics look more white than her. She's clearly of Dravidian descent

No user she is arabic look at her nose it's no secret.

I bet you're one of those faggots who can't tell the difference between a Muslim and Sikh, either.

A mudsime and a what?

>Sikh
Which fusion is that?

I guess this is what you got from the first 12 episodes or so. Greg has shown to be much more than what his civer suguest. Not only does he provides for Steven instead of the gems (also provides for Amethist) he also left his dream of a rockstar because he pursued his dream of conquering Rose which he did (she was the one lucky Greg put his eyes on her). He's a high spirited man that always looks out for his son. He had deep personal troubles with the gems that were eventually solved and he's now back to being a constant presence in Steven's life. The gems got to recognize the worth of his effort and life wisdom and recently also started tp overcome their emotional issues with him. He's the bond of Steven with his human side and procures to give him the joys of a normal life as much as he can which Steven needs and appreciates. Greg is a bit apprehensive when Steven is involved in stuff he knows he can't protect him from but that's ok. He has flaws and so do the gems (and boy they're flawed). But they'll slowly but surely coming together as a big family.

Recent episodes also make evident Greg could be a big success on the music industry but choose Rose over that. And loves Steven over all the money in the world.

Honestly the guys doing pretty well considering all he's gone through, his dream of being a successful musician died (ignoring recent events like the burger commercial) and his wife died in childbirth.

>It's continually emphasized how much he shares with his mother yet very little is mentioned of Greg's contributions to his development

Are you fucking kidding me?, every time he hooks up with his dad the show goes on to tell you he's literally Steven's moral compass and the standard for every decision he makes in the show. The second fucking episode is about Greg being Steven's role model and how he looks up to him.

>Can't live in the same house as his son because he's is afraid of the gems and their magic shenanigans

There's an episode dedicated solely to the subject of Greg not living with Steven and he spells out is because he doesn't want to get between Steven and his gem training besides he lives next door, he literally says it.

He still lives in his van, away from Steven. We see him when he actually lives with Steven and he's actually a bad influence on the kid, grabbing for his attention in some bizarre inversion of a typical father-son relationship. We see glimpses into his life with Rose in the most recent episode and he's an actual deadbeat living off his ex-manager's baby mama until he realizes what a waste of life he is and gets a job. He's babied by the women around him, as if he wasn't a full grown man himself.

He's rich now thanks to a savvy businessman selling his music as jingles, far from potentially being a hit rock star.

Greg is a hard man to respect. It seems like they try to show his redeeming aspects, but in this backhanded way that first reveals how immature he was before maturing into "decent". These recent Greg episodes have only lowered my opinion of him if anything.

>We see glimpses into his life with Rose in the most recent episode and he's an actual deadbeat living off his ex-manager's baby mama until he realizes what a waste of life he is and gets a job.
Cause who ever heard of a person in their 20's living irresponsibly and learning from their mistakes?

>These recent Greg episodes have only lowered my opinion of him if anything.
Guess you have backwards expectations as well.

I don't get it, is he maturing as a person somehow a bad thing?

Apparently not being flawless all his life is an unforgivable sin.

Personally, I figured this current phase of his life was a down on his luck thing, with him dealing with all the emotional baggage of his wife dying and raising his son alone. Turns out he was actually more of a shitter in the past, go figure

To be fair he had an epiphany that he was a shitter and wanted to change that in the last flashback episode
Also we are dealing with a guy that was obsessed with fucking/living with a hard light rock construct he ain't going to be that stable mentally or financially.

only a misandrist would fail to recognize that Greg is a good dad

>Turns out he was actually more of a shitter in the past, go figure
He was a crazy dreamer kid. He just woke up.

Greg is an excellent father who despite how messed up the situation is has raised an insanely well adjusted son.
He is always even tempered and kind and has taught Steven the same. In fact the only time Greg has scolded Steven was for using the word "Hate"

That's an odd lesson to teach; that loving someone different from you means you're mentally unstable

Why does this thread have replies?

There is different then there is inter species
Greg isn't in love with a different race or gender or a person with some handicap
Greg is falling in love with a completely different creature from human. It would be like if Greg fell in love with a talking intelligent catfish, no amount of true love talk and feelings would walk around the issue that you best chance you have found at a life mate isn't even your species or even reproductive cycle. You have to have some serious brain problem to get around that

in fairness Greg has done some really shitty stuff

>In fact the only time Greg has scolded Steven was for using the word "Hate"
I like that a lot about him. He's chill as fuck and enjoys his simple life while letting others do the same without neither holding grudges nor being a pushover.

>In fact the only time Greg has scolded Steven was for using the word "Hate"
I don't remember this. Which episode was that? Because that seems pretty cool.

The gems look like people, act like people and talk like people. They have all the expected sexual triggers that would cause arousal in a typical person. It is not like loving a catfish; you need to be really fucked in the head to find a catfish at all physically attractive. Walking talking humanoids with funny skin however are very easy to fall for, as evidenced by every mythology/fantasy/science fiction ever produced. Most people would be more turned off by the handicap/deformed than a gem

>oh that's marty my old manager
>he's dead to me

I think it was the one where Steven was freaking out over Kevin wanting to dance because rape allegory

Remember that time Greg decrypted an alien message using earth audio equipment?

I mean Greg is kind of a deadbeat, but he's almost never shown as being an actual idiot, and is actually pretty useful a number of times.

Beach City Drift

>didn't say anything about her being a mudslime
>>MUST BE A MUDSLIME
hello Sup Forums

I used the catfish as mostly a dramatic example to drive home the pointy because this is Sup Forums and as you pointed out the threshold of fetishes is a lot different then most places. To you it's not a far cry to most it would be seen as pretty fucking freakish to fall in love with a big discolor rock girl.
It's been stated in the show that they are off in terms of visuals and touch meaning that there is something about their physical form that isn't quite right to ours. If we go off Ronaldo(not the best narrative mind you) it could be a cold or scaly issue with the gems physical bodies. Beyond that we just know it's not 1 for 1

Also on another note all together: Greg threw everything away for this rock girl he just met, he has issues, he isn't that well put together.

>Greg threw everything away for this rock girl he just met, he has issues, he isn't that well put togeth
I feel like this is meant more to emphasize the theme of love overcomes all than to actually indicate Greg is nuts. The show would view this as a positive character trait, possibly his only positive trait

Greg dropped out of community college to live in his van until he became a huge rock star and ditched that the second he met a woman that fit his fetish. He's no deadbeat since pays for the house addition to the temple and everything Steven owns and he really does have a great heart that's in the right place, but he is an idiot who can't plan for the future.

>theme is throw yourself at love and it'll work out
That episode and Garnet's origin story kill me for that because it's that kind of shit that breeds a new generation of hurt kids that think if you love something enough it will just love back. I mean I get it, it's a cartoon no one should be taking it at face value but the message could just really mess up those outliners and give them a lot of frustration that love doesn't work like that. Or rather that it's short lived.

I'm hoping there's another gem/human relationship, only it doesn't work out. Then it would also highlight how special Greg and Rose were.

The show is written by the last generation of those kids. They believe this stuff.

Society is already lost.

>huge rock star
But he wasn't.
That was made clear several times.
>since pays for the house addition to the temple and everything Steven owns
I don't remember that stated anywhere and according to mayor Dewey the town owns that property but leaves it be due to long ago agreements between the gems and humans that made Beach City.
>but he is an idiot who can't plan for the future.
He's an idiot that will fake a injury to mooch of his son's caretakers. The spending time narrative didn't even make any sense because before and after that episode we see Greg has no issue seeing his kid.

Coming from someone who had an actual deadbeat dad, Greg is far from a deadbeat dad and I'd have loved to have had a dad like him.

Pearl said there have been others before Greg, the reason they didn't work out was apparently because no one else realized Rose didn't love them in the same, romantic way

user is saying being a huge rock star was his aspiration, an obviously unrealistic one that Greg at the time was too ignorant/naive to realize

They panicked because of all of Eddy's lies about him you know.