Read 57 books last year

>read 57 books last year
>feel like a smarter better person
>watch 57 movies so far this year
>feel like a stupid sack of shit that wasted hundreds of hours
Why are movies such garbage art?

Because they're made for pretentious plebs, by pretentious plebs.

You're not meant to learn anything or grow as a person just look at the pretty pictures user.

You watch wrong films.

>Not watching a film in the early evening, then read in bed to calm your mind before sleeping

You must not be very smart since you're so keen on arguing about petty nonsense like muh better artistic medium. Assuming you weren't full of a shit (which you obviously are), a person who enjoyed reading as much as you claim wouldn't be spending their time like you shitposting on a board dedicated to a subject you seem to have no appreciation for. Stop samefagging, and fuck off.

>feel like a smarter better person

are you though?

This much butthurt fucking kek

I dont read a lot but just from reading crime and punishment it seems much more worth my time than the last five movies I've watched.
The level of discussion Sup Forums consists of is BvS MUH SYMBOLISM and Lex's basic line about the problem of evil which is why Sup Forums thinks its somehow an amazing piece of """kino""" when its entry level shit. Things like the Turin Horse are pretentious garbage.

>tfw set a goodreads goal of 50 books a year
>get lazy and stop reading for months
>have to cram dozens of animorphs books in december to meet the goal
brainlets will never understand this feeling

That user has a point. Did you really expect quality film discussion on this board? Sup Forums's demographic is inherently geared toward more mainstream stuff. You can't expect the average 19 year old on this board to be into arthouse cinema.

The answer is no. Fiction does not make you different at all.

I watch a shitload of movies because I am mentally lazy and can't focus on a book to save my life. I used to read all the fucking time, it was my main hobby in fact, what the fuck happened??? I'm not smart enough to read but smart enough to feel ashamed of it what do? How do I start reading again?

I read those books before I was 15, except for War and Peace, which I attempted but just found too boring and also the book smelled like bleach. Anyway, who's bragging about reading Moby Dick as an adult? Seriously?

Quit Sup Forums for two weeks. Read in a different room away from your computer/phone.

I'm thinking of ordering a bunch of books for cheap and when they arrive I just might do that.
even quitting Sup Forums for a day would be a miracle for me tbqh

I've read all the harry potters ,all the star wars books, and a bunch of doctor who books.

>and a bunch of doctor who books
which were your favourite, nerd? hard mode: no alien bodies

Yeah, I go through phases of being super addicted to this place. It feels really good when I do manage to quit for a bit though. When you come back to this place after a long break, all the obvious bait threads and shitposts are really glaring and you can really see Sup Forums for the time-waster it is.

Why don't you just get an e-ink reader and then pirate a library?

Watching a "great" movie is like taking a bus up a mountain and enjoying the view. Reading a "great" book is like hiking the mountain over the course of a week. Movies are fucking garbage and offer nothing but momentary escapism. There is no moment to stop and reflect unless you physically stop it yourself. They're ultimately a waste of time.

>tfw my kindle broke so I just started reading books on my phone
I barely remember the difference now

I feel smarter playing video games than staring at paintings
Checkmate, renaissance """artists"""

How do you position yourself and your phone when reading?
i find every angle uncomfortable for longer than 2mins

That's wrong. You are not really watching movies. Watching a movie is merely a small part of the experience.

I go through this too. I'll spend almost entire days going back and forth between two or three boards and do nothing else at all. Other times I'll get caught up in some hobby and check Sup Forums during a break and realize how bad it is. The key is moderation. Treat this place like junk food, you'll binge sometimes but ultimately you know that less is better than more.

What do you mean?

>reading makes you smart
How does this meme still exist? How the hell is this supposed to work even? Why can't audiobooks make me smart? And if they can, why can't podcasts?

How many of those 57 books are non-fiction?

>first-generation sony prs' screen dies
>call the support number
>sony doesn't even make e-readers anymore

Roughly half

If you think watching a movie and reading a book are comparable in any way, you're a fucking retard. They're completely different experiences that engage you in different ways.
What's next, are you gonna compare reading a book to listening to music, or watching a painting?

>watch a good movie
>watch a commentary from film historian
>read few essays about the film
>read about its production, director, actors, why it was made
>read about its historical importance

>go back to Sup Forums
>DC BTFO!
>Is this kino?
>reddit
>Jews
>haha, fucking women/niggers

Half of those films could be documentaries.

I do have a ton of pirated e-books but I kind of want physical copies just as an extra excuse to get away from my phone/PC

>started reading in search of lost time recently
>decided to check out /lit/'s archive for discussion
>it's all memes and shitposting, literally did not find ONE good thread about the novel or proust in hundreds of pages of posts

/lit/ is no better than Sup Forums, in fact i'd say it's even more pathetic because the average poster here isn't a posturing pseudo-intellectual

>Why can't audiobooks make me smart?
Because when you read a book yourself, you read at your own rhythm, processing the information at your own pace. You can go back and re-read. Stop for a while and resume, etc. And those are the things that make your brain exercise. An audio book would be like one of those electrode machines that are supposed to make the workout for you. That's not the point of the exercise.

Film is unironically the highest form of art.
It actually contains all the other art forms in all the filmmaking elements, from fashion, architecture, design to music, photography, the writing and performances.

With film, you can express your idea in just one single frame through framing and composition, the performance, production design, sound
etc, while in books you have to use multiple sentences just to set up the scene and for the viewer to grasp what's happening. Reading linear words is not efficient and it relies too much on the readers imagination, film is just much more efficient.

Now that doesn't mean everyone uses the medium to it's maximum potential, but it has a far greater potential than any other art form.

They're both art forms. There's literally nothing wrong with comparing them. You're getting mad because movies suck dick more often than not.

In all that time, you could learn about general relativity, string theory, history, anthropology, economics, and a shitload of other subjects.

>the average poster here isn't a posturing pseudo-intellectual
You must've missed all the Snyder threads.

ew, nerd much?

I've been reading Iliad for half a year now and i haven't even make it to the middle of the book. It's so fucking hard to read it, maybe because it's a poem or there's shitload of greek words.

I workout for 3 hours a day and don't have time for leisure reading.

>read 57 books
Can you describe them all? Or have you already forgotten what you read?

something that i find interesting is that in interviews for dunkirk nolan keeps saying that he thinks we haven't even tapped the medium's potential,

i think the first half hour of dunkirk was some of the most efficient story telling in the the medium

I like the social value of physical copies. Like, I can show off what I'm reading when I'm at the park or on the train. If I'm reading a tablet no one has any idea that I'm a fucking genius grappling with Atlas Shrugged. Physical book? The iconic artwork is right out there for anyone to see. All other high-level prodigies who grok the masterwork I'm consuming can see what I'm reading, and, if they dare, engage with me. It's fun. Kindle users will never know this feel.

I'm seriously gonna try this 20 words a day shit

What are some current memes on /lit/? I want to know so I can fit in.

The only thing I really care about in this world is music. Movies are just a thing to watch while I listen to John Williams, Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner and Angelo Badalamenti. I could listen to music while reading but then the music doesn't go along with the story and it's annoying. So, fuck books.

Depressingly accurate. The bad thing is I enjoy both scenarios.

You can study every film for a very long time. There are whole books written about certain films.

It's stupid to compare them, just as writing and music, music and painting, etc. Each one is its own art form, with its peculiarities and perks. Proclaiming the superiority of one in comparison with another is the pretentious version of power level shit.
Watch movies, read books, listen to music. Don't be a fucking faggot.

What does reading any of those books actually really do for your life on a practical level?

>>DC BTFO!
As if anyone ever says this when the entire board is nothing but GRAPE MAN LOL

Fight me.

>20 words a day
Enjoy finishing one book by the time you die