How accurate is the IMDb Top 250?

Is there a better list?

Other urls found in this thread:

artsandfaith.com/t100/
bfi.org.uk/films-tv-people/sightandsoundpoll2012/critics
bfi.org.uk/films-tv-people/sightandsoundpoll2012/directors
rogerebert.com/great-movies
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Theres probably 59 good films out of all that 250 trash. Stop caring about rankings and numbers and just like good things.

The IMDB audience shares a lot of sensibilities with the Reddit audience in my experience. That's to say they generally display a fondness for dishonest filmmaking and a disdain for kinographic cinematic experiences. So no, the IMDB top 250 is largely trash and any infographic compiled by Sup Forums is likely to be better.

Sup Forums is reddit though and most infographics are made by autists.

What are some essential Sup Forums kinocore?
Is there a guide?

Kinocore is often synonymous with Patricancore, pic related is a good starting point.

they shoot pictures don't they top 1000

though year by year it is getting infested by 3rd world subpar movies, because affirmative action

this is my personal best:
artsandfaith.com/t100/

some critics have decent lists

go ahead and name those 59 good films you fucking faggot

the only ones that counts:

bfi.org.uk/films-tv-people/sightandsoundpoll2012/critics

(and)

bfi.org.uk/films-tv-people/sightandsoundpoll2012/directors

well, 4/5 of those films are good

Stop the memes

If only. It's mostly getting infested by shitty mainstream Hollywood movies.

TSPDT is the best big list on the Internet.

Do normies unironically like TDKR? How is that even possible?

It happens to be a great film. No amount of Sup Forums memes will ever change that.

>tfw I haven't seen a single film on that list.
>and I'm probably never going to.

It's terrible. Sight & Sound and The Shoot Pictures Don't They have the best lists.

Stay pleb

It's a fucking terrible film

no Sup Forums is not reddit. reddit likes garbage like harry potter and emma watson, people here are not idiots! :)

>Is there a better list?
OK, like some other anons said... form your own opinions. But if you're just looking for a list to get started, I unironically recommend Ebert's 200 great movies: rogerebert.com/great-movies
It's not perfect, but it will get you headed in a good direction, and give you a good basis upon which to judge other things.

Kinda funny thing about that list, when Ebert was on TV years ago, I always thought he was a bit of a prick and never paid much attention. Now that I'm a little older, I find in hindsight I agree with most of his reviews. He had a nose for the more palatable arthouse stuff, but at the same time wasn't too snooty to stick stuff like Se7en, Superman or Lebowski on there.

>How accurate is the IMDb Top 250?

Inaccurate as fuck. There are lot of new movies that simply don't belong there.

>It's mostly getting infested by shitty mainstream Hollywood movies.

This. Studios probably use tons of bots to upvote their trash.

Ebert is just a fallible human being, he has made plenty of mistakes. It took him some decades to admit that The Good, the Bad and the Ugly isn't a mediocre film. There are plenty of films that have become classics or cult classics with hindsight of decade or two that he completely trashed.

i once counted, i liked around 70 movies from the top250 list, and the ranking was fucked up even with those

I can already tell these movies include moping lead men who act annoyed by others' company and hysterical women crying or lecturing. For 2 hours.

>Ebert is just a fallible human being
Oh for sure. I just find that I agree with most of his tastes, which is handy. And he wasn't above admitting he'd made a mistake. I find him useful. I've probably seen 150 of the movies on his 200 list to date, and I agree with his review on > 90% of them.

Honestly it's pretty important to watch most of the films on that list. They are generally significant in some way.

The only perfect list is the one you make yourself but everybody else is going to think it shit

We're all so glad you're above that kind of drivel, user.

>it's old and not in English, so it's gotta be good!

But aliens was shit..
Alien was better in every way

hipsters go away no one believes you genuinely like this shit

John Waters is a sick faggot who needs a bullet to the head.

Cringe

I don't watch films on that list from >10 years before I was born. Generally old films are total dogshit and held to a completely different standard due to nostalgia.

edit: really? downvotes?

There's something about the lack of capitalization that just makes it so much more pretentious.

:^)

>I don't watch films on that list from >10 years before I was born
I hope, for your sake, you were born sometime before 1930. Otherwise you're missing out.

The beautiful thing about old movies is that history has done the curating for you. The money and advertising and biased critics aren't a factor anymore. If people are still talking about something 40+ years after it was released, there's generally a good reason for it. You don't survive the test of time by accident.

>being this insecure
Come on now, lads.

Sup Forums is most certainly full of redditors

they just don't come here to talk about harry potter (which is spoken about on here by cunnyposters)

It's true though. It's the Sup Forums equivalent of telling people to install gentoo. You suffer through days of watching a screen with random characters that mean nothing to you, and in the end you're left with a command line and a feeling of having been tricked.

>"Guys, look at me, I'm a special snowflake, give me attention"
>Calls others insecure
Haha

Who are you quoting?

If you consider watching movies suffering you might actually be a retard

(You)

>OP asks for better lists than IMDB top 250
>fulfilling this request is somehow attention whoring
Such and averse reaction to a list of films you don't recognise is pretty telling, user.

an*

>Going out of your way to watch obscure films so you can pretend you're better than others
Pathetic

>>Going out of your way to watch obscure films so you can pretend you're better than others
No one's doing that though. Again, seeing how much a list of movies irks you is pretty telling.

RYM's film list is bretty gud

Cinemos launched

> John Waters

>Being so absorbed by films that you're a retard if you don't like them

Pic is literally you

>not liking a film = suffering
No

What if I told you your list is stupid

How does that make you feel

>Dubbing the list "patriciancore"
>Haha, I-I don't do it because I-I want to seem better than others

Why is it stupid? Also it's not my list

Because people on the spectrum have impaired communication skills, they may find it difficult to meet people and develop friendships. They often seem to exist in their own world – ‘auto’ means ‘self’ – and may be isolated.

They may also experience delayed speech development and have difficulty understanding many of the things that people say to them. This affects their ability to initiate and sustain conversations. They don’t understand sarcasm and will take things literally. People with autism are often brutally honest as they don’t ‘filter’ what they say before they speak.

They may also repeat phrases they have heard on television or words that people have said to them some time before (known as echolalia). Even people with an autism who have well developed language skills find it difficult to express their needs and interpret the needs of others, and may use language in a random way with no regard for meaning or context.

It doesn't matter why I think it's stupid. What if that's my opinion?

If you ignore all movies from the past three years its a good list.

But I'd say the 1001 movies to see before u die is a more robust list

man, the forums on imdb were shit. i'm glad they're gone.

It's a silly meme, user. No need to be so flustered.

>Implying I'll watch 7 hours of a shitty 1910s silent sci fi horror mini series
please, no one can be THAT pretentious

No one's going to take your opinion seriously if you can't justify it.

rotten tomatoes horror list
>1.Get Out
>11.It Follows

Watch A Brighter Summer Day though. It's unironically great

Always fun to see you capeshit loving pigs lashing out at this image

It doesn't change at all over time - it is rigged.

Nolan crap and Jew garbage shilled to the very top.

It's also infected with Indian poo movies.

Rather check out the genre-based tops, sorted by number of votes or alphabetical.

Capes are boring too. There's a full spectrum of genuine art between capeshit and cardboard acting from the pre-1930s

Okay

A lot of the movies on that list are post-1930s

this is the most ebin b8 I've seen in a long time

YOU ARE SHIT! The imdb forums were gold for trolling and shit posting. People put so much effort into it. Writing essays just to proof someone's taste was inferior. I miss these times.

>no Koyaanisqatsi
dropped

>artsandfaith.com/t100/
>vertigo

what

rym for movies

Unironically a decent list, although I've only seen about 2/3 of the films. My only gripe is stuff like Querelle and Lola, which is basically contrarian picks of Demy and Fassbinder flicks.

>Is there a better list?
IMDb Top 250 from 15 years ago.

You are the reason why we can't have /film/ you fucking unsufferable plebs. I don't know all these movies but some of them are truly great and what's more, well-known.

>muh it's old and not american so it's boring hipster shit

End yourselves you stupid fucks.

essential fedacore

it's boring and pretentious. film is not art. it will never be art. the whole reason some of these trash films exist is in rebellion to hollywood and they are all garbage and can't even tell a proper story

>the whole reason some of these trash films exist is in rebellion to hollywood
Which ones?

this desu

Watching Stalker was like watching a painting for 3 hours. I understand everything it was conveying. Have my interpretations. But my god is it a boring fucking movie and a labor to watch.

I enjoyed Stalker desu. It had me glued to the screen and I can't explain why

I hate cookie cutter capeshit. The super hero genre will always be stuck firmly in adolescence because it is inseparable from the escapism it was spawned from.

That being said, I feel art house, and many of the films touted around on lists such as these as "patrician" value inaccessibility above all else. They feel the barrier to entry in itself is a quality which elevates the piece, which is simply not true.

Many of these films are overly long, with a stretched-thin, meandering plot, and characters which do not act like real, living, human beings. They are too afraid to make their themes proud and bold, as that might make their underdeveloped message too clear and accessable, revealing them as the hacks they actually are.

Respect my time and respect my intelligence. I will not enjoy your film simply because it would bring a 15 year old with ADHD to tears of agony.

Wow, you fool.

You don't like movies, you just like talking shit online. Sup Forums used to be so much better...

I used to think it was a good list. Then became the age of viral marketers and hyped fanboys blindly giving good ratings, so it's a lot more shit now.

Suffering? Many of those movies are legitimately great. If you're unable to look beyond your narrow perspective and try to appreciate films that weren't made directly for your modern sensibilities, I really feel sorry for you. You're sorely missing out on so much of what movies can offer you.

Not that user, but people don't just watch what you feel 'pretentious' movies just so they can feel superior to strangers on an anonymous imageboard. If you tried watching some of those movies instead of dismissing them out of hand based on your perception of them, you might understand why people like them.

You have bad taste, it's that simple.

Okay, user

>people don't just watch what you feel 'pretentious' movies just so they can feel superior to strangers on an anonymous imageboard

If that were the case they wouldn't bother actually watching them

What are some films that aren't in the top 250 that probably should be?

A Brighter Summer Day

Check out Floating Weeds by Ozu if you haven't seen it, and maybe Fox and His Friends by Fassbinder, if you're not homophobic.

Paris, TX by Wenders is also very good if you haven't seen it.

hey guy whats an example of dishonest filmmaking?

Harakiri

I'd say Children of Men is pretty dishonest. Simple flick disguised as a "thinking man's film".
Full of stiched-together shots made to look like one takes.

> I unironically listen to Divine
>look up thier work
>watched all Jon waters films she's in

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I love how Sup Forums is basically NEET-lifestyle meme

>Look at this little plebs paying the Shelekstein to see some capeshit movie. Isn't that cute fellow Patricians? Well, I'll be going now. I'll be having marathon of my favourite /kino/ in few minutes. Bye