Who was in the right

Would anyone here take Marty's side? And if so why?

Look Marty's a complete dick, no one's denying that. But Greg is a complete moron for giving up the chance at a career just for Rose. Moreso because that decision led him right to the poorhouse where he has to live in a van, and play guitar for coins on the sidewalk. They really undersold the fact that he's a literal bum.

But he seems happy. Is having money and power really that important to some people?

>Moreso because that decision led him right to the poorhouse where he has to live in a van, and play guitar for coins on the sidewalk. They really undersold the fact that he's a literal bum.
...did you just honestly forget the fact that he owns and operates a car wash? I mean sure it's not the biggest and best source of income, but it's SOMETHING. People's cars will always need cleaning.

Even disregarding your ignorance of that obvious fact, you seem to have missed the whole point of his arc, and indeed the larger point of SU as a whole - that love conquers all.

If you think that message is "gay" or "lame" then this show really isn't for you. Like, at all. It's like watching Aladdin and going "I DON'T GET IT, ALADDIN COULD'VE JUST WISHED FOR A MILLION SANDDOLLARS, IMMORTALITY AND AN AUTOBLOW"

>...did you just honestly forget the fact that he owns and operates a car wash?
Really, they dedicated an ENTIRE EPISODE to reminding people about that, and people still keep pushing their "lel Greg is le bum" meme.

Considering Marty had to come back to scrounge interest in a terrible product years later at the expense of a second chance with his son? Greg probably would have wound up in the same position without Rose since Marty's career seemed more miss than hit.

So basically if you take Marty's side you must be materialistic and driven by greed. I just wish some people would admit it. Just admit it, you take his side because you get something out of it. Not because its good, or right.

Seriously, it's not like Marty was a GOOD manager.

I honestly think a substantial percentage of Sup Forums must be /robots/ cuz they seem to jump to that sort of social contrarian attitude at any opportunity, because they think everything is trying to "brainwash" them into giving a shit about sex and love.
>Marty is an objectively shitty person and an even shittier father
>NO FUCK U BITCHES MY DAD WAS PERFECT, ALL DADS ARE PERFECT, ALL MEN EVERYWHERE ARE PERFECT AND NOBLE AND DON'T YOU DARE SUGGEST OTHERWISE
>Greg chooses love over pursuing the unlikeliest of dreams
>NO FUCK YOU SICK BIRTHER PROPAGANDA TRYING TO GET US TO THINK EMOTIONAL INVESTMENT IN OTHER LIVING THINGS IS REAL, CYNICAL SELF-INTEREST IS THE ONLY PHILOSOPHY THAT COUNTS REEEEE

I don't get why these sorta peeps even watch the show to begin with.

>following your dreams of becoming a rock star is greedy
>giving up on said dream for your fetish it's romantic

Shut up about autoblows

Marty had enough money laying around to pay Greg his 10 million dollars. He couldn't have been that hard-up for cash.

I thought the money came from the franchise that Greg wrote the song for.

Marty seemed more like he was scraping by. Everything he came to Beach City with belonged to the company he was shilling for.

That wasnt his money, that was royalties made out to Greg that he was forced to pay under his name.

Why is it good and right to not take Marty's side? Do you not want to advance your career?

>I can decide what would have made Greg happier.

But he also has a son who has saved the world on multiple occasions.

Marty was right about one thing: multiple smaller women are better than one big woman.

Marty was a dick, but what did he actually do besides talk shit and I guess fuck chicks in Greg's van? He wasn't corrupt as far as I remember. Just a dick. He needed to be dropped like a sack of potatoes at some point anyway, but the problem is Greg dropped him before he had any iota of success, then just stopped doing anything. He lived like a transient and leeched off the girl Marty knocked up.

Conclusion: Marty had to go but Greg dropped the ball with what happened after.

People don't understand difference between bum and a man keeping the life simple.

He owns a carwash and the house Steven and the gems lives in. He just can't afford a second house

Fail to do his job as manager for starters, also totally blow off the concert just to fuck some bitch.

No.
Now, that's not to say I disagree with him on everything. If Rose Quartz weren't Gem Jesus (or planning to create one) and got shattered the moment Homeworld returned to Earth, Greg would have given up his career for the ruin of having his family murdered.

On the other hand, Marty himself doesn't seem to be a very competent manager. It's not like he fucked off and founded Interscope. It would have been more interesting, really, if he were slightly scummy but also as uniquely rich as Greg's family is uniquely hybrid.

Dreams and ideals don't put food on the table.

Starving to death isn't noble if you pass up opportunity just for ideals. The desire and instinct to survive is strong and wanting to not die isn't a vice or sin, nor is it a virtue to forgo survival on principle. Especially when you are securing a future for yourself.

As the user above me stated though, there's really no guarantee with Marty. He could have easily failed Greg just as easily and Greg would have been worse than when he started.

But the smaller women stack up to create bigger women.

Don't talk shit about Marty, his one-night stand with Vidalia indirectly saved the world.

Money>Everything

Fact of life, Greg was a moron he could had a hot wife and alot of money.

everyone indirectly saves the world when you think about it

Is having happiness?
I'd rather be productive then happy or wealthy, but different people have different values.

>indirectly saved the world
Huh? Sour Creams not a bad character, but his existence hasn't changed what the gems do or been significant in any world saving episodes?

>Sour Cream inspires Rose and Greg to have Steven
>Steven bubbles the Cluster

> the chance at a career

M8 is was heavily implied that Greg wasn't going anywhere with music.

Kinda hard to look past the fact that his cut was 75%.
Just sayin.

Marty gave Greg $10 million dollars. Marty's cut of Greg's earnings was 75%. Meaning the ads actually made somewhere in the area of $40 million for Greg to get $10 million after Marty's cut. Marty is depicted as hard up for money enough that he had to shill a shitty soda to get his own kid some AV equipment. Marty somehow managed to squander 30 million dollars.

That's fucking impressive. That is a legitimate commitment to fucking up.

No he didn't.
"I'm legally required to give you this."

But instead he got a hot wife and a lot of money.

If something doesn't make you happy what the fuck is the point of doing it?

Judging from the fact that Greg resorted to eating out of dumpsters for the two years or so after he ditched Marty, Marty was probably basically babysitting Greg and taking care of all of their finances for however long they were on the road together. He actually had to remind Greg that they were supposed to be trying to sell the CDs and not just giving them away. Marty was still a terrible manager and a dick of a person, but he at least understood the concept of money a little better than Greg.

Sometimes, for the benefit of yourself or others.

Like working a shitty job you hate so you or your family can eat.

Greg is productive. He made the most perfect son ever.

>He just can't afford a second house

He can now, but he still lives in the van

Sometimes you have to do some unpleasant things, but I think any of those unpleasant things should be moving you closer to being happy. It's entirely possible to be both productive and happy, and it's weird when people sacrifice one for the other.

> talk shit and I guess fuck chicks in Greg's van

nah i think the real thing that makes him a legitimately bad person is that he abandoned his son

But Greg doesn't have that problem, and he does have a job.

Well he did mention that he was "legally required" to compensate Greg for the use of his song.

The amount was probably something a lawyer had a hand in too.

A women you just met and no nothing about other than you are attracted to her
You are trying to work in a business you love
You are willing to throw it all away for said mystery girl

I'd be with Marty. Killing your future, your dreams, what makes you -you- over a shot at some mystery woman that may or may not work out?
It's as fucking stupid as you can get and honestly is a common tale I see of 30+ year olds working at entry level jobs where they pretty much shot their on future just to have a chance with some girl they knew a year or less only to discover they moved on and found someone else

Honestly that is the bigger issue I have with the show.
Every story is that toxic message of "If you do it for love it will work" when the reality of life is "when you do it for love you are going to get burn a lot and likely become bitter and blame everything else rather than understand love isn't some cure all drug"

But you do those unpleasant things because of how the results make you happier.

Steven Universe will never be a complex show. But I'd put a career over a fat roastie any day

>Doesn't like giant women
Marty was a pleb of the highest order.

>I honestly think a substantial percentage of Sup Forums must be /robots/ cuz they seem to jump to that sort of social contrarian attitude at any opportunity, because they think everything is trying to "brainwash" them into giving a shit about sex and love.

Welcome to Sup Forums. We might be contrarian sociopaths but at least were not hipster SJWs drinking Starbucks and complaining about unfair life is.

the dude was able to give 10 grand like it was nothing to Greg
His name shows up on a lot of world products in the show

Just cause he's rich doesn't mean he should waste it.

Maybe buy a better van though, or some upgrades.

Well some people just find happiness in different things, Greg is a simple man who valued his morals and his love for Rose more than the deal Marty gave him.

Marty's career involves having to be a douche even if you don't want it to, but it's obvious Marty likes to be a douche. Had he been more of a "sorry Greg/son, it's just my job" type of guy you'd see more people siding with him.

He's very simple
He gave up he's future for a girl he just met
We see in future episodes he literal does nothing but wait around for her like a dog and scavenge to live inbetween
That's pretty much codependent in a bad way. He had a wake up call and turn it around but he threw it all away for a girl that ended her life for some obsession to change. He got a son out of it but really Greg's life became worse tail chasing a girl that might have never love him back in the same way.

maybe that's the point?
You can have it all, short, tall in between, oh the options. That and odds are against you they will all want to die and leave you with a baby.

Part of Greg's character seems to be that he is genuinely a good human being. But, with that he makes a lot of bad decisions and doesn't understand his effect on other people. Him staying for Rose was both idiotic and telling of his loyalty to people, even when he barely knows them. He's self destructively sweet.

It was pretty funny hearing him say "We really rushed into this" to Rose when the only contribution she needed to put into the relationship was tolerating his presence, and he was the one that gave up everything at the drop of a hat.

That could make Rose's creation of Steven all the worse when you think about it.

TIME TO DIE CLOWNS

Fucking this
The guy throws everything away for a girl he just met and she throws herself away so she can have a son/change.

>but at least were not hipster SJWs drinking Starbucks and complaining about unfair life is.
Well can't say statement is all true
I mean you can take a quick visit to /r9k/ and see what I mean

In fairness SU and other shows suffer that effect where they are teaching that broken moral that love fixes everything and all you need is love
Most bots were created buying into that crap 100% only to get hit hard by life that no, loving something ensures no chance that it will love you back, no amount of sacrifice will win them and just because you both fell in "love at first sight" doesn't mean it can work at all.
I agree the get triggered to easy but I can understand how it be frustrating to see a message that broke you is still being chimed

Well, the alternative to Rose having Steven would be for Greg to just never have kids because he chose a lifetime relationship with a barren space woman. Sometimes I wonder if it was possibly Greg expressing a desire to have kids that prompted Rose to do it. Ultimately it was her decision and she did it because she wanted to, but I wonder how on board Greg was when it first came up.

I'm still not even completely certain if Rose told the other Crystal Gems and Greg that having the baby would end her existence before she became pregnant, or if she came out at the end of the pregnancy and said "Surprise! I'm going away forever now!"

Ten million, and he said he was legally obligated.
I'm guessing made money off Gergs music which was why in the beginning if you can catch quick, Marty was TRYING to offer Gerg another deal before he got interrupted.
My guess he didn't actually have the rights to make the kind of money that he did and he wound up owing Gerg without Gerg even knowing. Which got Marty in rock bottom in debt trying to market crap products.

Well they sure seemed happy enough spending $10 million.

>TFW despite all of this, this is the healthiest relationship a gem has ever had

Yes.
Rose a shit.