What are some superstitions from your country that you or your family believe in?

what are some superstitions from your country that you or your family believe in?

Not many but i NEED an explanation to this.
>Russians believe whistling inside your house gives bad luck
WHAT? Like why? How the fuck can someone draw this conclusion???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

american are good guys and not a fart

None because I'm not retarded. We do have a significant amount of right wing, anti vaccination conspiracy nutters in this country though. Mostly in Queensland.

Whistling at night Is bad here

finding a key in the street is good luck

>My dad believes America has a cure for cancer that they aren't giving to anyone

Bet they can't cure the cancer he fucking gives me.

oh i think it has to do with sounding eerie like a ghost or something. i think in some parts of china they believe this too

If you do a prediction about possible success you have to knock on wood as to not jinx it.

Nope
Whistling attracts bears and other wild animals
That's why the old ones probably said "It's bad to do it"

My father and black cats. He will absolutely refuse under any circumstance to continue walking/riding/driving if a black cat crosses the road in front of him.. It's so fucking annoying.

>almost midnight driving through the woods as a shortcut
>a cat crosses the road
>my father pulls over on the road sholder and shuts down the engine
>20 minutes later a car headlight
>finally
>the guy stops behind us and asks whether's something wrong
>my dad laughs and says "nah man just a black cat crossed my road so I'm waiting for someone to cross"
>guy visibly disturbed and says "hmm bad luck guess I'll wait too"
took us one hour, 40 minutes, a whole pack of cigarettes and a few good stories in the middle of a fucking night in eastern european forest for a car to pass through so we could finally go home

we knock wood when someone says something bad is about to happen

>gives bad luck
Not bad luck, but you will have no money. There's some idiom in Russian, it can be roughly translated like "whistle off all money", that's why.

Yes but there aren't any bears in fucking smack bang middle of st petersburg so why the fuck would it be bad in your house?

Giving a person birthday wishes or birthday gifts early gives them bad luck. Always HOWLING when I hear of people on the internet giving or getting birthday presents early. Stop doing that!

Can't think of any.

Here's its the other way around. If you said something bad and you don't want it to actually happen you knock on wood. The wood has to be unpainted though.

Also congratulating someone beforehand gives bad luck.

If you don't appreciate small amounts of money (for example when someone gives you some cents in return) then you will never acquire any sort of wealth.

This thing is unironically in every culture

Onhan niitä

>Associating with a gypsy will get you in trouble
>Leave the sauna warm after you're done using it for the sauna elf
>Don't touch daddy's beer, otherwise he'll get angry

malaysia you're breaking my heart

All wrong. You knock on wood when you praise something that's gone well so far as not to jinx it. Like "haven't had an accident in my new car yet, knock on wood".

>all wrong
>In Greece the saying "χτύπα ξύλο" (literally: Knock wood) is said when hearing someone say something negative in order to prevent it from happening.

This is what Dutch people unironically believe.

Anyway here are some from here
>If you say a diseases name pull the ear of every kid that heard it
>Don't clean tablecloth at night
>NEVER disrespect bread
>Don't let your schoolbag on the ground
>Don't whistle at night
>Don't pass over a person that is laying or he won't grow anymore
>If you put extra forks in the table or guest will come
>if you get a hiccup someone is talking about you
>Don't tread on someones shadow

My mother made my dad nail a board over 90% of the air vents in the bedrooms, so there is no draft of air at night

Otherwise we will all get colds

If your left palm is itching you're gonna get money

If your right palm is itching you're gonna lose money

If you sneeze three times then it's going to be nice weather tomorrow.

Also
If you hear someone calling you and you're sure nobody is there, don't answer
This too

Wer den Kreuzer nicht ehrt, ist den Taler nicht wert!

>Also congratulating someone beforehand gives bad luck.
In Poland if someone wishes you good luck you don't say "thank you" because it brings bad luck.

Kicking someone in the butt is something people do too to wish each other good luck.
Witnessing a group of students before an exam kicking each other in the butt like some sort of ritual brings smile to my face.

If you leave your shoes outside in the feast fay of the archangels the angels will steal your shoes
my mother believes this

Sounds like a list of compulsions someone with OCD would have.

>>NEVER disrespect bread
>>Don't pass over a person that is laying or he won't grow anymore
>>if you get a hiccup someone is talking about you
All of them exist here as well.

Wie het kleine niet eert, is het grote niet weerd.

We have something about sneezing as well. Don't know where it comes from but among young people when you sneeze up to three times others will wish you good health, and when you sneeze four times they wish you death.

kek what the fuck.

Also about the weather: it's only going to be nice weather tomorrow if you eat up everything on your plate!

When you get a hiccup someone close to your heart is thinking about you.

Here it's 1x or 2x sneezing is gezondheid (good health).
3x sneezing is morgen mooi weer (nice weather tomorrow).

The absolute state of Polish superstitions. In some places a black cat is actually good luck. You just got BLACKED.

IllyroThracian brotherhood ;)

>pontic superstitions
>hen a woman is having trouble giving birth to a child, the husband was supposed to go outside the house and, without any warning, fire in the air with his rifle to startle his woman, surprising her.This would help with childbirth somehow.
>another recipe was to use the husband's boots as a drinking cup, putting water inside the sweaty boot and forcing the woman to drink it. This would force her to vomit and vomitting helps in childbirth idiots

>Associating with a gypsy will get you in trouble
superstitions are not supposed to be perfectly rational

Before you leave the house or are about to go for a journey, if you wished for a food, you must either eat a bit of it, touch it to the lips or hand or say "Un - cha -chak" followed by touching your mouth, nose and forehead because the action is to un-jinx the bad omen of the craving from following you.
thats annoying
whistling at night is bad here. something else will mimic it to find and suck your blood through the groin area.
aren't you heartless, Rika?

My parents believe that the Loch Ness Monster exists. They are 100% convinced of this. NOTHING will disprove it.
Last year my dad stole £1000 from my bank account so they could rent a cottage in the area and fill up hundreds of water bottles with water from the Loch so that they can 'find traces of his skin for when cloning technology exists'. I've tried debating them and showing evidence that the monster is just driftwood and they get fucking angry as fuck.

>The evil eye, known as μάτι (mati), "eye", as an apotropaic visual device, is known to have been a fixture in Greece dating back to at least the 6th century BC, when it commonly appeared on drinking vessels.
That one managed to spawn in many cultures as well, like the knocking on wood supertition.

>This entire post

I don't have an appropriate reaction image, my reaction is varying too much between disgust for stealing money from your son to go be a retard, and bewilderment that they truly believe that shit so much.

Anti vaxxers are mostly right wing but some leftists swallow it, too. My mother is a lowkey new ager, and while actually very educated about shit like economics and foreign affairs, she falls for all the typical "alternative" bullshit like being afraid of vaccines, GM food, smart meters etc. I've given up on trying to convince people like that otherwise, I find it's mostly the older generation who embrace it.

This

Kek. Superstitions about black cats are popular here too. I remember that some kids in elementary school who believed this had to make 7 steps backwards to prevent the bad luck.

>and suck your blood through the groin area.
uwu

same hans

Some superstitions in Anglo countries are easily overlooked
>physical cold causes the common cold, rather than pathogens (probably a relic from belief in miasma)
>sugar or red cordial (usa calls it squash) causing hyperactivity
>curse of Macbeth (I knew a dramafag that believed this)
>holding your breath while driving past a cemetery
>muh Illuminati
>hurrr aliens built the pyramids (almost every fucking stoner moron I met believes this bullshit)
>big cats that apparently escaped an american circus and roam free in Australia/UK

Jews kidnap christian children and use their blood and foreskins in satanic jewish rituals

Why hold your breath while driving past a cemetery? What about walking?

WTF is gonna suck my penis blood if it catches me whistling? A succubus?

The cemetery thing is mostly a superstition among children as I understand it. Also people forming the shape of the cross as they die.

This isn't really a superstition but I thought it was funny: my best friend was told by his other friend at 14 that if you microwave a banana peel for 30 seconds it feels like a vagina. Claimed he learned it off family guy. My best friend actually tried it and it burnt his dick really painfully. After being burned he told me the same thing, except claimed he heard it from Peter Helliar off Rove Live lol. I did the same thing and it fucking burned like hell the second my dick touched the peel. Word got out and both of us were being called B1 and B2 for a while.

I think most people are quite superstitious when they're kids too. Maybe future generations will be increasingly cynical and 'grow-up' but I'm 19 and remember doing a lot of wish-based superstitions as a child, these are probably the most ubiquitous, not to mention Christmas/Easter stuff.

Black americans have lots of superstitions. Ones I grew up with.

>Step on a crack, break ya mama's back
Nobody really took it very seriously besides kids
>If your ear starts ringing, someone's talking about you
My grandparents unironically believed this
>Don't cut a baby's hair before it's first birthday
They'll get sick, bad luck, or have nappy hair
>If there's sunshine, rain, and thunder then the Devil is beating up his wife
Pretty sure this one has pagan origins from the Gulf of Guinea involving the sun god
>Keep making funny faces and it will stay that way
As the name indicates
>If your right palm itches you're about to get money, if it's the left palm youre gonna lose money

>Don't use the phone or TV during a storm
Only applies to the most geriatric country niggas out there south

>If you put your purse on the ground, you'll stay broke

>Dreaming about fish means someone you know is pregnant

>Never buy your boyfriend shoes, or he'll walk out on you

>If you let kids sweep then they'll drive away unwanted company

>Touch a screw to cross a railroad safely

>Never put your hat on a bed...just don't

>Splitting a pole/tree/whatever long vertical beam with a walking companion will cut your luck in half

>Adding your blood to your boyfriend's coffee will make him love you forever

>Frizzly chickens are good luck, they devour hoodoo bags that can curse you

>If you grab the dirt from someone's footstep, one day they'll return to you

>Rabbits feet make for good charms
I think everyone believes this to some degree

>>Don't use the phone or TV during a storm
>Only applies to the most geriatric country niggas out there south
Eh, my grandma believes the same. Especially with electrical appliances since her house is 100 years old, it's actually made of wood and any actual protection against lightning is virtually nonexistent.

>Adding your blood to your boyfriend's coffee will make him love you forever
strongly hoping the ex didn't feed me her blood

What the fuck man, your parents stole 1000 quid for that shit

That sounds Russian too.

Fuck you bread fucking faggot food

Here in Ireland there's things called Faerie forts and the legend goes that if you damage one of the forts you or a family member will die. Seen it happen multiple times.

What is a faerie fort?

They're like old Celtic forts that faeries reside in and if you mess with it you will die.

I thought all the fairies sailed into the west after the Gaels came

If you leave your shoes/sandals/flip-flops upside down, your mother will DIE

Loo is boo. Don't poo in loo.

Don't sweep inside the house after sunset. You might sweep away the souls of the dead who are visiting their former home.
Don't slam interior doors because the house spirit lives in the space between the rooms there and you could harm it.
Don't touch an empty rocking chair. Don't know why but I'm sure there is a good reason for it.

Ghosts. My childhood house was haunted as fuck though so it's not a superstition to me.

Is that a sex doll?? I have a really big dick so if it is a sex doll I might actually buy one cuz I have substantial length and girth

South Koreans believe that leaving a fan on while asleep can kill you.

Maybe it was your dad sneaking into a bathroom to bust a nut because your mom is not fulfilling his sexual needs?

Can you insult me?

Arabs believe God exists and spoke truth to their pedophile priest.

if a crow lands on your boat you oughtn't head to sea

here's where you're wrong buddy you made a giant leap to a conclusion that I am somewhat religious you should have just asked because I'm not I don't give two doo doos about religion or anything to be honest with every passing day I find myself caring less about the world maybe it's because I just joined mgtow and the no fap movement at the same time or maybe it is because every single country that was feuding 10 years ago is coming back together yet we can't get along with any other Arabic Nation i.e. Saudi Arabia and them folks I don't know

Let me guess because he's black right? Oh yeah you also shouldn't touch black cats why because they're black? Do you see what I am hinting at? We stopped racism at human level but we always tolerate it when it comes to animals

Either wood or your front upper teeth

>knocking on wood not to jinx
>groundhog day
>don't take from the woods unless you can give back
>granpa kept shoes in good condition and would leave trinkets around the front door to keep house fae happy
>finding money on the ground means angels are thinking of you
>"star light, star bright, first star I see tonight. I wish I may, I wish I might, have this wish I wish tonight"
>opening windows to let warm breezes bring luck into the house
>burning green cedar leaves after cooking on a fire to let spirits know they can enjoy the warmth

Man Canada is a weird shithole

my mom is a proper irish celt from newfoundland. She believes in banshees, fairy circles, all the pagan shit. She didn't just pick that shit up later either, she's a Celt through and through.

I used to stay awake for hours fearing a banshee would scream in my window
>tfw last of many

hm interesting.

I was gonna give a kurd girl a pair of scissors but she said it's bad to hand it over and asked me to put it on the table first so she didn't have to take it from my hand
can anyone explain

No it's because you eat pork see Muslims despise pork and pork eaters there was a tale of prophet Muhammad praise be upon he that he once murdered man in the battlefield because he was about to eat pork but refused to kill a father that raped his daughter because he donated to build a mosque

how do you sit on an empty rocking chair then????

Get a load from this guy, he's absolutely right

That if you don't reply to this post your mother will die in her sleep tonight

im screening this lol

Kurds are retarded

In France there's a lot of stupid superstition but I don't know many.
>Knocking on wood (my gf actually knock on wood, touch a bit of skin and touch something red)
>Never put the bread upside down
>Make a cross on the bread
>Never cut a baguette with a knife
>Never offer a knife to someone without him giving back a coin as to not cut the friendship
>black cats bring bad luck
>Plenty of people believe that some people can make burns disappear
>never open an umbrella inside a house
>don't walk under a laser
>breaking glass is 7 years of bad luck
Etc..

Here people say whistling inside your house is bad because it attracts mice.

Heaven and Hell
Praying
Politics
Democracy

I heard Ukraines do it too

My mother unironically believes in ghosts. She's not religious or otherwise superstitious but she'll tell us about the ghosts she saw as kid in the old as fuck house she grew up in.

Its strange because I'd otherwise say she was a smart, rational person.

>Walking under a ladder gives bad luck
Pretty much only kids say it out loud, but most people will waste a few seconds to go around it. I don't mind passing under it if it's just a ladder, but if someone is up there I will take the long route because I'm afraid a hammer could fall on my head or something.

This one is true tho when I was a kid our tv exploded during a thunderstorm. Old houses dont have proper surge protection.

Ive met plenty of totally rational people who have seen things they couldnt explain

>If you leave over food or water in someone else's house, you're leaving negativity.
>When a bird makes it's nest on a house roof, that house will get good energy / peace.
>First dream you have in a new bed will come true.
>Broken glass (container) means luck.
>Egg with 2 yolks means luck / marriage, egg with no yolk is bad luck.
>Spilled coffee means you'll get money.
>If you're talking about disease or bad things, move away from where you were standing to avoid it happening to you.
>It's bad to eat food off of a knife, or licking a knife, this means you'll become ill.
>Never buy an even amount of things. ex. eggs, apples, etc.
>Hiccups means someone is mentioning or thinking about you.
>If you see a black cat cross your road, you should take 10 steps back. If you don't, it's bad luck.

There's a lot more, I can't think of any right now. It's mostly older people who do this, newer generations don't.

Ghosts are real though