Questionable Income

How was Stu able to afford two kids and a big house in a quiet neighborhood as a freelance toy maker? Did smart phones put him out of business in 21st century America?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gC3eITPqX8g
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

He's had a few hits, but I think the first two movies imply his Reptarmobile and making things for Reptarland kinda helped him out in the long run.

It's a cartoon.

his late night chocolate pudding business really took off

He could do a great business with the royalties for Reptar toy design.

Pretty much this, most artists that can make a comfortable living just have a couple of standbys they have a reputation for and the rest are just hobbies.

>it's an user doesn't like Pickles lore episode

What the fuck

He probably lost the house in the housing market crash.

youtube.com/watch?v=gC3eITPqX8g

I know for a fact that child do still play with toys and that they sell very well.

Mooching off his father.

>Father collects social security and probably veteran's benefits
>Didi works as substitute teacher sometimes
>Stu does contractual designs and cashes in on royalties and they coast off those for a while
>probably sells patents for his goofy As Seen on TV tier shit

he was also a genius that built things like anti-gravity devices and giant mechs
then again, he had to compete with fucking TIME MACHINES

I've pondered this myself many a time.

Even in the beginning they had a large two-story house, with a garage that had two cars in it, basement with all of Stu's equipment, stereo system, TVs, spacious backyard, dog, etc.

Didi was simply a high school teacher and Lou was retired. While Didi's paycheck certainly helped them, I came to the conclusion that Lou helped them out financially, possibly selling whatever assets he had (house, residuals from his old fix-it business, etc.) After all, Lou did live with them, and likely contributed any way he could. He also moved into that retirement community in that one episode, suggesting he had some money squirreled away.

As for Stu, often times he was portrayed as somewhat incompetent, and yet all he really needed was a few good contracts. In one of the first few episodes, they have a dinner meeting with a toy mogul. In another, he has a big order for Patti Pants dolls, in the several hundred. While he had to get a "real job" with Consolidated Lard in that one episode where their financials are in question, he apparently had enough steady work to help with their income.

And 30000 dollars owed in taxes

Pretty much this they're income combined is more than enough to to sustain comfy surburban lifestyle

I dont get why the guy stopped at "c-word"

He made this to be as offensive as possible

Pickles lore thread?

Who was pic related?

forgot pic

context?

>tfw I watched this episode just yesterday

When Tommy gets lost in the post office, he's gets trapped on a conveyor belt and almost falls into pic related, which seems to be where the forgotten mail goes.

He's probably a theme park engineer as a day job and a toy designer on the side.

Because it was the early 90s. America was in a really good place economically at that time. My dad paid for a similar living situation working as one of several car mechanics in a town that only had a handful of occasional customers. I later found out he was actually selling drugs.

It's funnier that way.

Bartleby.

Whenever someone tells me "I'm an artist/sculptor/writer/etc" and they don't actually sell any of their work, it's pretty much guaranteed that they're from a rich family. Stu is a reflection of those people, even if canonically he works for a living. "Freelance toy maker" is code for "living off of my family's money"

When the Carmichaels moved in, the property value went down.

Wasn't the mother a Doctor, and the father creator of the Dummy Bears? I would assume property value would increase

THANK YOU!
I AM GLAD SOMEONE ELSE REMEMBERED THAT SHIT!

I think he was the Head Writer. There was an episode where the actual creator came over for dinner.

I think you're right. I remember Stu asking him to put some stuff in the next script

>lost the house in the housing market crash.
No. Just how fuck old are you to think that would even affect him? Were you even alive during the original run of Rugrats?

Didi was a well to do college teacher. Also, he's been known to borrow from his brother who is obviously giving him cash to keep their dad alive.

And dolls powered by cold fusion reactors.

It kind of says something about Lou Pickles as well.
>Single Father working in what I remember to be a low customer repair shop
>Manages to raise a successful businessman and a bumbling genius despite all this

Grandpa Lou was based he was strict with them as kids, but it all worked in the end. Also the man was full of live for his age

Yeah for someone in his 70s he
>Partook in multiple chases
>Had a wrestling match
>Doesn't have heart problems until he is 70 despite not really caring about his diet
>Can handle beach activities
>Can throw a 10 pound bag of Vegas winnings hard enough to knock a full grown man down

Didn't he play russian roulette at some point too?

I seem to recall something like that.

dude walked 15 miles for everything
also Lonely space vixens

Here, in the comics & cartoons board? Man, I don't know

I bet he was a Minnasota boy.
They always make tough sons of bitches

I was about to say he also personally won the battle of the bulge but then I remembered that was Steely Phil

They actually don't. The toy marketing is collapsing.

To be fair, it's a rarer and rarer occurrence.

It's a SIDS episode.

Nevermind the Pickles.

Spongebob and Squidward are homeowners on a single-income fast food salaries

Kind of strange the fact that you can't see any other houses around where Sponge Bob, Patrick and Squidward lives

Contracts involving Reptar related items probably helped, plus whatever small inventions he sold here and there.

He built a damn robot for EuroReptarland

Anyone remember a episode where some old ladyes kidnap Tommy and Lou start looking around the store for him like some noir detective

sometimes I wish the show was remade with the tone of the comic strip.

What the holy hell.

Yes. And even though they were really old they were a little insane and still dressed and acted like children.

it was obvious didi pulled the weight around the house. at one point, what didi was making wasnt enough and she made stu get a job. after stu made a breakthrough for the bubble machine he was trying to make, he sold the product and quit his job. i have a feeling it flip flopped a lot like that behind the scenes until stu actually managed to get a name in the industry for his constant stream of inventions, even if they werent all that intuitive or interesting.