DAVID AYER: "SUICIDE SQUAD IS ART"

>"It's an interesting film. The film is getting eviscerated by so many of the critics and it's fascinating because in a lot of ways this is kind of an art movie and I know just saying that is going to provoke incredible howls of outrage out there but it's really this anarchic, punk-rock art movie"
- David Ayer

empireonline.com/movies/suicide-squad/empire-podcast-suicide-squad-spoiler-special-david-ayer/

I hope Patty Jenkins, Rick Famuyiwa and James Wan bring us as much joy as Snyder and now Ayer have.

Other urls found in this thread:

avclub.com/article/weekend-box-office-suicide-hotline-bling-240763
variety.com/2016/film/news/box-office-sausage-party-suicide-squad-petes-dragon-florence-foster-jenkins-1201837045/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>This movie just Triggers people left and right. Literally can't stop talking about it
>Critics loathe it and are so triggered by the fact that people still went out to see it despite them claiming it worse than Hitler

> That they are making long essays and Youtube vids about how audience are wrong and they are right

>console wars

>SJW/Nu Males/White Knights hate it for "sexism/Racism"

>Hit with Minorities
>Hit with women moreso than Ghostbusters
>asspain butthurt and salt everywhere!
>small dedicated following
>somewhat popular with certain crowd (hot topic etc)

This has all the right ingredients to qualify as a "cult classic" methinks.

>butchered by studio
>punk-rock art movie

Okay, pal.

>Warner Brothers

I swear, Sony might be delusional but WB is pathetic.

Can we please stop that nu-male crap? That terms wont have any meaning, no matter hiw much you use it.

Kind of feel bad for him desu cause unlike Hack, he can actually make good movies.

Between the little amount of time he was given to write the script and WB totally butchering his vision anyway I don't think the resulting product was ever going to be good.

I really fucking hope Sony pictures doesn't drag Marvel down. God, I can see this happening so easily.

Art movie? It was decent but come on. Where's the art?

On Joker's body

>It's an interesting film.
It's a flick. Flicks can't be art.

Art more like it belongs to the trash HA!

Welp, somebodies maaaad

name one cult movie that had more than 1 of those aspects

Board culture's evolved to give it a meaning.

Evil Dead 2/Army of Darkness

>A buzzword on Sup Forums doesn't mean anything other than an insult
Oh no whatever shall we do.

>Can we please stop that newfag crap?
>Can we please stop that meme crap?
>Can we please stop that poo in loo crap?

But it hits too close to home for me, so we can't say it.

Damn...

>t. nu-Male

The Warriors
Rocky Horror

Art isn't butchered and rearranged in order to appease test audiences. Nice try on playing that card, though. I'm sure your bosses are happier than they were when you tweeted about them ruining it.

Only person I trust right now is Wan. Wonderwoman looks good but who knows with that film and flash just looks like a bigger budget tv show right now.

SIXTY-EIGHT PERCENT
I
X
T
Y
-
E
I
G
H
T

P
E
R
C
E
N
T

God, what an awful life it must be to be a critic - having to endlessly act edgy and squeal about how everything is shit with every second sentence...

Who chooses this kind of life?

well hello moviebob!

yelling "shit sux" is usually the easiest & safest bet with critics. Atleast when a film does come out & you're wrong. You can always say "That's not the version they showed at the premier."

>numale

It's a real thing. You people can't even look a woman in the eye.

Movie Blob just go!

>hollywood en-masse produced pre-packaged IP movie
>art

Get a load of this fucking guy. I bet he thinks mcdonalds food is fucking gourmet

"Numales" are WB fans' new boogeyman.

If anything, I admire their determination to warp the narrative to fit their narrow worldview.

"Art" is meaningless in many contexts pretentious people try to use it. It's not true indicator of quality, and furthermore, does not distinguish it from a commercial product.

Essentially all commercial entertainment products are "art", and most art is a commercial product, unless it's done as a gift directly for another, or ONLY for the artist's own amusement.

And not only that, art can be shit. It may be subjective whether or not you think it's shit,but the majority of people who view it can have the same subjective opinion that it's shit.

If Ayer thinks that his special work of "punk-rock art" is marketed to people who like that sort of thing, that's perfectly fine, if it's impressing those people, which some accounts indicate it is, but then it's not that "interesting" that the majority of critics who aren't that niche aren't getting much out of the movie in terms of style, and are just left with its objective flaws.

it wasn't Jack. like clearly not!

to be fair when he was given the project it was meant to be a rather small scale thing he still had control over before being given less control.

Regardless there are certainly moments of what could be considered art in the film via its visuals so he has a slight point

while we have likely differing opinions on the film you are totally correct.

It would be so better if critics did view things im a more objective manner

>punk-rock art movie
Fucking hell. When will capeshit fucking die?

The post was pretty stupid, but
>small dedicated following
>somewhat popular with certain crowd
are pretty much requirements for a movie to be a cult movie.

So absolutely any cult movie ever made will have more than one of those aspects.

>It would be so better if critics did view things im a more objective manner
It would be impossible, and sort of less valuable.

You can analyze a film on things like whether cinematography matches the theories taught in film school, same with score composition, editing, etc. But under all that supposed objectivity of whether the rules have been followed or not, there's another layer of those rules being there because they generally work with people's perceptions of whether they like a thing. And if you can bypass something supposed to be an objective measure of quality, and still get people to admire and enjoy your movie, you've accomplished the main goal anyway. And that's how those rules adapt.

And this is what audiences are looking to critics for, "Did you like the movie, and why or why not. And which aspects?"

>And this is what audiences are looking to critics for, "Did you like the movie, and why or why not. And which aspects?"
not enough critics do that though

Someone described Suicide Squad to me as, "a high light reel of better movies", The movie starts doing something interesting for like 5 minutes, then drops it. Never develops on anything fully. Some characters might as well have not been in the movie. Like Joker, Katana, and Boomerang.

>movie has a shitty critical reception and huge drop-off after the first week
>blame everything but the movie

Wow Harley Quinn just broke a window and stole a somethiong while showing his ass,truly trascendental art.

that scene was made for the trailers and feels like an out of place attempt for humor in the movie.

WE'RE DA BAD GUISE

No, Holy Mountain and all Jodorowsky films are what you call art. A bad popcorn movie is a bad movie. The people who like SS are people who aren't thinking of movies as art, they just turn off their brains and watch the action and pretty lights.

Every critic does that. You just don't what they have to say.

Basically the "you just don't get it" defense.

Yeah it felt like it was apart of a longer "walking through Midway" scene and it didn't work as joke just cutting to her getting the purse.

Also the dialogue was shit so that's on you, Ayer.

I'm minority and I think it's shit.

>Holy Mountain

holy shit could you be trying any harder you pretentious fag? So I supposed you think there is no art in The Good, The Bad, The Ugly, or Once Upon a Time In The West? How about Wizard of Oz? Even bad popcorn movies can be fucking art, look at The Thing. The practical effects and editing in that movie are fucking amazing. But you aren't someone who ACTUALLY cares about movies, you are just a surface level bitch pleb.

>Dude like just turn off your brain and enjoy things.

People think WB movies will get better when the people making think they are perfect as is...

"If you can't blind them with brilliance; baffle them with bullshit!"

He clearly wasn't invited to those parties. Honest mistake on his part.

I...

So many butthurt nu-males ITT. Sad!

STOP POSTING LIKE TRUMP! I'LL KILL YOU RACIST FUCK!

ITT: asspain over a movie that you wanted to fail doing well
Stay salty , my friends

avclub.com/article/weekend-box-office-suicide-hotline-bling-240763

WHERE MY DChads AT?

>doing well
"Box Office: ‘Sausage Party’ Cooks Past ‘Suicide Squad’ on Friday, Eyes $34 Million"

variety.com/2016/film/news/box-office-sausage-party-suicide-squad-petes-dragon-florence-foster-jenkins-1201837045/

>first thing they mention is holy mountain
ha, fuck off

no they dont, they will say they dislike something a not expalin why or allow their politics to interfere

it still is, this is future predictions dumbass
>marvelcucks dont understand present tense
top kek

Shall I get out the article comparing the mvoiento trump or the one claimingnits sexist and misogynist or arenyou going to quit embarrassing yourself now and you know...maybe fuck off back to Neogaf. Also

>WB fans

BBasically isn't but keep being a fucking idiot. Its cute , really

Stop expecting anything like common sense or self awareness from these people

That's the thing.
In another interview Snyder basically said: "Well I guess plebs don't like it when their heroes get deconstructed!"
That seems to be all he's taken away from the criticism of BvS, that people just can't handle his kino. Hell, I'm beginning to think he actually browses Sup Forums.

These people don't see flaws with what they are doing. They don't mind when the studio hacks their movies up either. It's clearly the audience's fault.

thats not what he said at all, heck he didnt even say it that was his wife. Its also clear he see's the problem when he decided to release the directors cut.

Fight Club?

>That seems to be all he's taken away from the criticism of BvS, that people just can't handle his kino.
He's going the Shamalamadingdong route.

Conservatards being triggered. How ironic

sup Adam, make another YMS you crazy canuck horsefuck

That's fucking meaningless. Every movie is art, anything can be art because art is subjective. And of course Ayer's going to defend it, he made it, but the only meaningful way of doing that is to rebuff individual criticisms, but he isn't doing that and I doubt he's going to, especially considering that people seem to be taking issue with all sorts of different things.

It's pretty good. I hope he gets his own cut, though- the recut did a disservice to it.

How is it racist or sexist?

I'm sure Ayer's original cut was a fuck ton better than the piece of shit cut they released to theaters. They brought in the trailer editors to re-edit the film because they got scared when people reacted well to the original trailer even though it was a very misleading trailer because the original cut was very dark and gritty and real and some people cried out because BvS was too dark for them.
Long story short, WB lost their big brass balls and fucked up the movie beyond return.

>Suicide Squad is art

Listen bucko, it's time for everyone at Warner Bros to face reality.

Just admit you want a superhero franchise to compete with Marvel Studios, stop trying to convince us this is art.

>I'm beginning to think he actually browses Sup Forums
That terrifies me beyond the capacity for rational thought.

Damn, the licensed music cues and shit editing ruined what felt like good material. The cast and crew did good work that was just about destroyed by the studio turning the movie over to that trailer production company to make the final cut.

>the pacing is off, the tone is all over the place, the story doesn't make a whole lot of sense, and none of the actually interesting characters get the time they deserve
>the worst part of it all is that you can still see the shining gem of a movie buried underneath all the shit

"FUCK YOU GUYS IT'S AN ART MOVIE!"

as soon as I read about nu males I realised it perfectly described a bunch of people I knew

Fuck you David Ayer. Tim burton's Batman is art. Blade Runner is Art. Inception can be considered art. What you made was rushed bullshit that you should be ashamed of. Shit, according to your logic a movie like The Purge should receive an Oscar.

Ask them, they're the ones making essays over Margot Robbie wearing short shorts.

Whats the last movie you've seen that has had good pacing?

Just because it's art doesn't mean it's good.

Also SS being a major studio blockbuster inherently disqualifies it from being punk rock.

Course it's art
It's a creative work by humans
That's all it takes

This guy, I have to sort of admire his company loyalty, unlike Trank with Fant4stic

But everyone would be happier if they released the original cut.

We kino meme, now.

It sorta exists in the form of the novelization

He's clearly a fucking moron, it's a below average blockbuster and a fucking shit adaptation.

punk means for the people. The film was made for the people with punkish aesthetics. So no it doesn't.

>fucking shit adaptation.
Of what task force x? It clearly showed and explained its purpose. The characters? Only one shitly adapted was Slipknot. You're not just bitter about being the only slipknot fan are you?

Nah Sony is both

>thinking Marvelcucks read comics

Deadshot was a poor adaptation.

>Blade Runner is Art.
Have you seen the original theatrical cut for Blade Runner?

Shit Joker
Shit Deadshot
Shit Boomer
ok Harley

The only character done legitimately well in the film was Waller.

I don't understand the kind of mental process that says "I'm going to alienate my potential audience and burn that bridge by saying my product is too smart for them".

Even if you think that's the case, you have to realize it doesn't make good business sense to do that emperor's new clothes shit.

And this is like the third or fourth time WB has had someone doing it.

>He never said the product was "too smart for the audience"
>He never mentioned the fucking "audience"

It was still better than suicide squad.

I wasn't actually talking about Ayer.
I was thinking of the "It's for the *fans* thing the actors did.
Or how like two weeks before BvS came out WB put out a press statement going "It's probably going to be too smart for some people".