Are Slavic languages functionally (from the perspective of the lay learner) as different from English as Chinese or...

Are Slavic languages functionally (from the perspective of the lay learner) as different from English as Chinese or Arabic? I think so.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Polish_language
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

no

There are zero reference points for English speakers in the Slovenian language (this may not hold true for less purist Slavic languages like Polish or Russian) outside of some old, infrequently used German slang.

Certainly not
At least Slavic languages are IndoEuropean, and even if you don't know it, you have quite some similar words

No

I don't know about Slavic languages that much but in English and Finnish, there's a shared and deep cultural framework to all possible ways to express yourself with words. Finnish basically has this very Germanic set of concepts coded in what is superficially a Uralic language.

yeah, we're in the same family on paper

but consider this
>English
I am working.
>Slovene
Delam.

No similarities at all in this simple sentence.

Balto-Slavic languages are closer to Indo-Aryan and Indo-Iranian languages than to Germanic or Romance languages

You absolute fucking moron
You baboon

How do you say beat in Slovene?

verb: tolči and tepsti
noun: there is none, we use the borrowed word ritem

>muh suffixes muhfugga

yeah yeah, so you can pick up tenses somewhat more easily, which doesn't change the fact that the vocabulary is completely alien, and most of the syntax too, not to even mention the vast morphological differences

Delaš ti kurac moj, Slovenčugo.

raje sem NEET kot pa prostaški Balkanec

Not really, we have a lot of similar Indo-European words, like "mother", "milk", "nose", "son" etc.

Also, our grammar is pretty much similar as compared to let's say, Japanese grammar which looks alien as fuck.

Slovenija je na Balkanu. Nauči zemljopis.

Pri zemljepisu so nas učili, da smo srednjeevropska država, ki leži v Alpah, kolikor se spomnim.

Forgot to crop.

Nije, Slovenija nije slicna na balkanske zemlje pa ne moze biti deo Balkana. Ima velika razlika kad prelazis granicu medju Slovenijom i Hrvatskom, koje nema medju naprimjer Srbijom i Hrvatskom. Slovenija je sasvim drugaciji svet od balkanskih zemlja.

And also forgot to post the crop.

Ko sem bil majhen in sem bral zgodovino, sem si ustvaril predstavo, da je Balkan zamejen z Donavo ter Drino. Da Slovenci spadamo na Balkan sem prvič slišal šele na faksu, ker sem pač študiral humanistiko in so komunajzerji proti ideji Srednje Evrope. Resnična zgodba.

It's not that different, since all native speakers of said languages and their families are subhumans. Cheerio

why russians are insane while czechs are nice?

Because "Slavic" is just a linguistic group, not a genetic or ethnic one. Ethnically, Japanese are more similar to Chinese than Russians are to Czechs.

>less purist Slavic languages like Polish or Russian
Ja ja

It rolls off the tongue so much easier than da. Try it out.

We say "tak", not "da".

>this may not hold true for less purist Slavic languages like Polish
:)))

>In relation to most other European languages, though, the differences between Old and Modern Polish are comparatively slight; the Polish language is somewhat conservative relative to other Slavic languages.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Polish_language

no, english and slavic languages are indo-european, arabic and chinese arent. english and slavic share general grammatical concepts that arent shared with chinese or arabic

well, for starters they're in the same alphabet. in chinese it's 我正在工作, in arabic it's أنا أعمل

Should we use one book language and bring back to glagolic alphabet?

Weren't we the only ones who used glagolic?

He's right though. Based on my experience of watching videos in Polish, I can say that you use just an enormous amount of German and Latin vocabulary in your speech. Was it really such a big deal to come up with a Slavic word for "kolor" and "dach"?

we had our own croatian glagolic alphabet
there were many versions of it

No, I mean weren't we the only ones who genuinely used it for centuries (even up until the 19th century) while everyone else just went through, essentially, a trial phase? I'd love it if we still had it in use, though. Fucking Latins.

>zahodni Slovani
kek, toilet Slavs

can someone explain what the deal is with the words for mouse and muscle in european languages

lol :D toaliet Slavs
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahahahah I am dead I just falled

Haaaa Thet was good i have tears in my eyes

it's a quirk between slovene and croatian that turns out to be funny whenever it comes up because it's largely unknown

the slovene word for west is zahod with the accent on the o, meanwhile the croatian word for toilet is zahod with the accent on the a

croatians say zapad for west instead, but then our words for east aren't the same either, only the word for south is the same between the languages thought the word for north is very similar too

bump for answer