What's the exact moment the Oscars lost touch?

What's the exact moment the Oscars lost touch?
1990s best picture winners:
>Dances with Wolves
>Silence of the Lambs
>Unforgiven
>Schindler's List
>Forrest Gump
>Braveheart
>The English Patient
>Titanic
>Shakespeare in Love
>American Beauty

2000s:
>Gladiator
>A Beautiful Mind
>Chicago
>Return of the King
>Million Dollar Baby
>Crash
>The Departed
>No Country for Old Men
>Slumdog Millionaire
>The Hurt Locker

2010s to date:
>The King's Speech
>The Artist
>Argo
>12 Years a Slave
>Birdman
>Spotlight
>Moonlight

It's always been hit and miss, but ever since Chicago won best picture it's been miss after miss after miss.

1941 when Citizen Kane lost to How Green Was My Valley

1990s best picture winners:
>Dances with Wolves
Shit
>Silence of the Lambs
Kino
>Unforgiven
Pure kino
>Schindler's List
Pure shit
>Forrest Gump
Nice flick
>Braveheart
Ok
>The English Patient
Shit
>Titanic
Huge fucking shit
>Shakespeare in Love
What the fuck were they thinking ?
>American Beauty
Very good

2000s:
>Gladiator
Ok
>A Beautiful Mind
Bad
>Chicago
Very bad
>Return of the King
Good
>Million Dollar Baby
Ok
>Crash
Terrible
>The Departed
Original is ten times better
>No Country for Old Men
The best in there
>Slumdog Millionaire
Extremely bad
>The Hurt Locker
Average

2010s to date:
>The King's Speech
Bad
>The Artist
Bad
>Argo
Bad
>12 Years a Slave
Not bad
>Birdman
Quite good
>Spotlight
Fucking shit
>Moonlight
Actually good

The Oscars are usually a mess

>1941 when Citizen Kane lost to How Green Was My Valley
They should have just scrapped it right there.

>giving two shits about the oscars

Slumdog, The Hurt Locker and everything after didn't deserve it.

so 2008-2010's basically

My vote goes to when they chose Forrest Gump over A) Pulp Fiction and B) The Shawshank Redemption in 1994. After that point, it's been almost completely misses.

It was always just Jews congratulating each other.

>Dances with Wolves
>Shit

>Million Dollar Baby
>Ok

Are you 12

>No Country for Old Men
>The best in there
Not even the best picture on its year

Forrest gump, The Englist Patient and Titanic were incredibly bland movies to me.

Alas winning over Seventh Heaven in 1928

Oscars are such a fucking joke

>Return of the King

How is this even possible?

>tfw late 90s - early 2000s were formative years and took big hollywood war/adventure epics for granted
now every movie has to be some self-congratulatory love letter to hollywood OR be some gritty grim tale of minorities overcoming oppression

like, this must be how my parents felt about the days of milkmen and nobody taking nigger shit seriously

Crash was the beginning of the end. Go back and watch that movie now. It still fits the gold standard of hitting all the "progressiveness" key notes. But does that make it a good movie. No. Fuck no. Quite the opposite. It was so full of progressive bullshit it forgot to tell a real story. This is coming from someone who owned the movie on DVD. I eventually lent my copy to a friend and was glad they never gave it back. Fuck that movie.

No Country for Old Men and SotL are the only worthy films on that list. All others are completely forgettable. Who the fuck talks about The Artist or Slumdog Millionaire?

This, I have to agree. I am a Clintfag, but Dances With Wolves deserved its Oscar, and Million Dollar Baby is Lesser Clint

I'll get a ton of shit for saying this but Pulp Fiction should've won best picture instead of Forrest Gump. No matter how many times you spam "IMDB! REDDIT! FEDORA!" there's no getting around the fact that Pulp Fiction is a landmark film that had an enormous impact on both mainstream cinema and indie cinema. Forrest Gump isn't bad but it also isn't anything groundbreaking, it won because it's the ultimate boomerbait film and the academy is full of boomers.

No country easily deserved best picture. It's a massive pleb filter to see people who can't see that and feel the need to propel TAOJJBTCRF or TWBB to the forfront of conversation by claiming they were the best of 07

if TWBB won best picture half of rebbit would be meming NCFOM to hell and back, assassination friends love their movie but it's simply not as perfect as no country

I'm this guy:And you've hit the nail on the head. Forrest Gump is quintessential Boomer bait by literally following all the major world events they lived through as if theirs is the only history worth knowing.

>Slumdog Millionaire

Right here. Everything before that was actually good.

1999, when the actual best movie didn't even make it to the nominees list.

It was awarded for the entire trilogy.. also it was the best movie that year

What was the last movie on that list that was actually successful? ROTK?

>Forrest Gump isn't bad but it also isn't anything groundbreaking, it won because it's the ultimate boomerbait film and the academy is full of boomers.

Forrest Gump is ultimate movie that anyone can't hate, it probably wasn't most loved movie, just movie with least haters. AFAIK voting system for Oscars is single transferable vote. Forrest Gump probably didn't have that many first ranked votes, but it probably had lots of third or fourth ranking votes.

>Forrest Gump over Shawshank and Pulp Fiction
>How Green Was My Valley over Citizen Kane
>2001 not even nominated for Best Picture

what did they mean by this?

Fuck you, Spotlight was reporterkino at it's best

>Spotlight
>Moonlight
>no Twilight

>>The Artist
fucking KEK

who remembers this meme

1990s

Years a Slave
>Not bad
>>Birdman
>Quite good
>>Spotlight
>Fucking shit
>>Moonlight
>Actually good

lel you got everyone of these wrong

>No Country for Old Men
>The best in there
lol no

you're referring to Eyes Wide Shut, right? Because you are correct

When Forrest Gump won over Shawshank

>He thinks the Oscars were ever "in touch" with anything

The Oscars have always been a fucking farce. It's pretty much just a Hollywood circle jerk.

Get this OP, the best film of every year since the Oscars began have never won Best Picture. In most cases they've never even been nominated. Why is that?

Likely 2007

>complaining about iPhone
>posts from an iPhone

The only films after the 90s that really did feel like they got a well deserved oscar were Gladiator, RotK and No Country For Old Men. RotK is probably the most well deserved oscar in history

Could you be more of a pleb?