DC beats Marvel in July

DC beats Marvel in July
It happened
bleedingcool.com/2016/08/12/dc-beat-marvels-marketshare-in-july-2016-41-with-a-third-fewer-comics/

and they're not about to stop in august for sure

Other urls found in this thread:

polygon.com/comics/2016/7/21/12249988/dc-comics-rebirth-sales
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Last month DC placed seven titles in the top ten saw their marketshare moving from May’s dollar share of 26.45% and sales share of 26.34% to June’s 29.93% and 31.69%. Well July has given them 35.36% of the dollar share and 40.96% of the number of comics sold.

>While Marvel Comics has dropped to 34.20% and 35.69%. It’s a rout. DC Comics also take the top three with Justice League and Batman, Civil War II knocked to fourth and seventh place respectively as DC Comics take 8 spots.

Marvel rebirth when?

yes we already had our dick stroking thread, it was fun

i wanna see the top 100 to see where last month's books are cause i don't want batman, jl, and harley to be the only real good sellers again

>Also note that Marvel had 87 comics out in July. And DC had 63, a third fewer.

There is only one marvel's franchise that could help Marvel in charts, but apparently, that franchise is licensed to Marvel's enemy.

Scratch that, Marvel telling comic shops to tear up Rebirth books when?

kinda missed it. damn, I have to search the archive

Well, Spider-Man. Also, didn't Marvel strike some deal with Fox?

Nothing is confirmed

A TV show is, we even got the trailer.

Spider-Man by himself can't pull much. Beside his main book, his other books have kinda low sales

Yeah, but there are still no appearance in cartoons, games, also no toys. And no one knows what happened that Marvel is working on X-Men show. We just know that Legion is going to happen, but nothing more

D C

O

M

I

N

A

T

I

O

N

That's because the market is way too over saturated with Spider-Man bootlegs.

Yeah. Which is why I mentioned THAT other franchise, who is known to be capable of selling well, to the point of having a shitload of spin-offs

sorry m8 we already had a thread, you will have to wait for the top 300 discussion when those numbers are out

hyped that New Super-Man did so well though

The funny thing about these company wars is that Marvel and DC both want each other to do well.

In a healthier industry, one big company might want to drive the other out of business. But this is comic books, it's barely being held up by two companies. If Marvel or DC fails, the whole industry collapses.

It would be nice if Image or some other company could emerge as a serious competitor but it doesn't look like it's happening, so they all have to wish and hope that Marvel and DC pull through.

I don't think marvel wants dc to do well.

Marvel probably didn't have 30+ new #1s that month like last month. So it shouldn't be a big surprise that DC won. Probably win next month too since Harley and All Star Batman will sell huge amounts.

>It's okay when marvel does it

More DCfags having to verify their beloved properties through sales statistics rather than just appreciating them.

No, it's only okay when DC does it

Let me remind you that:
DC's comics were cheaper than marvel's
DC published 1/3 titles less than marvel
And yet, they sold enough to top their newest event.

Not to mention that a lot of books are confirmed to go for second or third printing

Marvel wants to beat DC, but if DC really failed (like DCYou numbers all the time forever) it would hurt everybody including Marvel.

>NO U
brilliant reply, worthy of marveldrone

>and they're not about to stop in august for sure

qft

97, but you only read the article, not the data it was based on, and you didn't understand what you were reading.

There's no need - DC are literally offering the exact same deal on their own titles now. It's how sale or return works.

Marvel's 2016 unit sales have been 500k down each month on where they were in 2015.

DC is in fact still down on where it was in 2015 by a long way; it's going to take more than a month of headlines to fix that. And, of course, we really don't know how many of their titles are being sent back.

Don't put it past your LCS to screw DC - DC (and every other Diamond-using publisher) have been screwing the LCS owners for decades.

I said it's ok when DC does it, don't be so insecure

This is the craziest part to me. I hope Marvel is forced to change gears and get their act together.

To be honest, I did start checking some DC out of curiosity, but I'm really hyped for Doom Patrol
I genuinely am curious how it will fare

It'll probably have the highest sales of all Young Animal at least

There should be a reminded that there will be no Civil War #5 in august

because you're an idiot

no DC would take anywhere between 25 and 40 percent of the market out overnight; Marvel sales wouldn't increase to fill that space (same as they didn't drop close to a million to fill DC's million extra sales this month) and that would essentially mean any LCS left still running on comic book money would lose... 25 to 40 percent of its custom overnight, which would certainly be fatal; even for stores that don't rely so heavily on comic sales any more, it would mean a lot of hurt, maybe closure

the fewer stores there are the fewer outlets Marvel actually has; online sales and digital haven't taken off in the way they'd need to to cover the collapse of the direct market, slow or fast; the majority (overwhelmingly so) of all comic book sales on floppies (which are still the major funding model for the publishers) come through Diamond and the LCS market, so losing those stores means losing all the customers who just can't be bothered to hunt around for a new store they like, ever fewer drop-ins spontaneously buying a comic, etc etc

no DC would hurt Marvel; not as much as no Marvel would hurt DC, but getting there; losing either would probably kill some smaller publishers completely

is it a copypasta?

>DC’s sales for the first week of August alone — which are available to the company due to the particular mechanics of comic book preordering — are nearly as big as their sales numbers for the entire month of April this year.
August numbers will be a bloodbath.

>mfw my LCS went out of business
I should have gone more often.

They ain't did shit for the numbers, it's all based Johns (ty Didio for HB though)

No you idiot, it's reality. Marvel and DC have said multiple times they want their competitor to do well because higher sales from either leads to higher sales for THEIR titles too. When one company is suffering they both suffer. Ever heard of the phrase "A rising tide lifts all boats"? That's how it is in the comics industry.

but DC double ships their main titles...

>first week of August almost as big as whole month of April
source?

polygon.com/comics/2016/7/21/12249988/dc-comics-rebirth-sales

But Fantastic Four doesn't have that many spin-offs if you don't count Inhumans and Black Panther.

Of course they do. The stronger DC is doing, the better retailers are doing, which means the better the whole industry is doing, including Marvel. The same goes for the other way around.

Marvel vs. DC is a rivalry, sure, but they rely on each other. If either of them were to go out of business then it'd be the death of local comic shops, and that'd be the death of the industry.

>getting delayed to hell and back well past the point where everyone just wants it to end
Oh God it's Civil War I all over again.

Hey turning the X-books into a dumpster fire to spite fox backfired

>Marvel continues to push back its Civil War II series, as the next two issues have been pushed back even further than previously announced.

>The publisher has informed retailers that Civil War II #5 is now scheduled to arrive September 14 - four weeks after it's originally-solicited date of August 17. A delay on the book isn't new, as in late July Marvel told retailers to expect a two week delay, but this pushes that back even further.

>The delay is beginning to cascade into the title's subsequent issues, with Civil War II #6 now rescheduled from September 21 to October 5.

>Marvel hasn't announced any schedule change for the series finale, Civil War II #7, which was originally solicited for October 19.

DC should enjoy it while they can. Once they run out of new #1's, it will drop back down to normal.

they said the 2s and 3s are outselling the 1s though

Thank fucking Christ. Marvel has gotten so lazy and up its own ass that shit like Civil War II and Kate Leth showed how badly they were phoning shit in.

>CWII is going to last until potentially November
GOD
FUCKING
DAMMIT

Just slap a fill-in artist. No one cares if Marquez doesn't do every issue because no one cares about the comic. We just want it to end so we can get on with it. I'm actually pretty hype for a lot of the NOW 2.0 books but CWII is a fucking cancer upon the entire line that destroys everything it touches.

Marvel is hurting cause all their talent went off to Image when they started to sell. I mean, most of the good artists are just gone.

DC had the Renorth Hype.

I bought every #1 edition for rebirth just as a sampler, I'm willing to bet many other people have too.

The real question is if the hold up this. I really wish they did keep a larger portion of sales than Marvel. I'm prefer Marval and want to see how'd they react to DC rising.

I'm starting to wonder if it's more that they are changing the story around to make a bigger scene. The book already killed off Rhodey and Hulk, and it doesn't look like they planned something big for the last three issues. I wouldn't be surprised if a shock gimmick was tacted on.

knowing Marvel, they'd double down on what they are doing currently

Doing a last minute change to the final couple issues? Holy shit, this really is Civil War all over again.

There's much more 2s and 3s at my usual store. #1 sells out instant and they order reprints and more of the next
Edition.
They don't have much of rebirth collecting age after two weeks.

Would it really surprise you? Marquez usually keeps on schedule. So unless they cluttered the last three issues with so many characters, I doubt he'd fall behind like this.

X-books have always been a dumpster fire since Jean Grey became the phoenix

prove me wrong.

When Marvel NOW! starts?

That's clearly Marvel's DCYou

M-maybe Bendis has to write worse ending?

Thats counted in the 63

It's Secret Wars all over again. I wonder if Bendis will get to spoil his own comic this time.

Aren't all of Marvel's new books launching in October though? Are they just going to triple-ship it in September or are they going to pull another Secret Wars and let the finale of the event that leads to the relaunch come out after the relaunch?

I wonder what the delays are im sure they already have it all scripted and the artist is not known for being slow

My condolences user

>Oh God it's Civil War I all over again.

Except worse.

But Marvel will beat them in September.

The same exact thing happened with the DCnU for the first few months.

>being that buttmad
someone get this hothead out of here!

Which is probably why it wasn't FF that this user was talking about

TOP 100's NEW REVEALED:

So I get the DC and Marvel need eachother thing.
But how did WWF not need WCW?

there's other things on TV for the WWE to compete with, WCW wasn't the only other show on television.

Forgot link:

Check out Flintstones if you haven't. Best thing DC is doing.