Technical concerns about Aquaman Solo Movie

I'm excited for it but a couple of things have me worried beyond them being able to come up with a good story and Mamoa's acting ability.

1. Aquaman can talk underwater but I have no idea how this is going to be presented in a movie that won't be goofy as fuck. The idea of Mamoa having a long monologue underwater with a warbly underwater filter over it makes me cringe, not to mention dialogue scenes between multiple actors. The only thing I can think of is maybe just having the Atlanteans use telepathy to communicate with one another but that might be even worse.

2. Action scenes underwater are generally boring because everyone moves more slowly. See the action scenes in Thunderball that are sped up because of this and look like complete shit. I guess they can have some action scenes in an underwater city or something but that seems like a waste of the concept. This could maybe be helped a little with a great score but I have a feeling they'll just get some Zimmer wannabe and call it a day.

3. Aquaman can breath underwater but obviously Mamoa can't so they'll have to film at least the close ups greenscreen on a set and make it look like he's underwater which could look really cheesy if they cheap out. I really think this is the most important aspect of the movie. If the audience doesn't buy that Mamao can breath underwater the movie won't work. That's it. So if I were James Wan I'd be in a water tank doing screen tests right now to see if this can be pulled off.

Anyone of these issues could potentially sink the movie even if it has the best screenplay in the world and we all know it won't.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/Y--MuIgwfQ4?t=50
cinemablend.com/news/1544549/how-the-aquaman-movie-will-tackle-characters-talking-underwater-according-to-james-wan
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The movie will in all likelihood probably take place 90% on land anyway to try and capitalize on Thor's success so most of this stuff is a non-issue.

>to try and capitalize on Thor's success

It's going to be a chick flick?

Probably. They'd be dumb not to try and sell Mamoa to women. I actual predict the movie will follow Thor's plot almost beat for beat.

Of for fucks' sakes.

CGI.

Logically they should just speak normally even underwater and the audience should assume it's being translated or whatever automatically, but maybe that's too silly for these movies.

Which will look like shit.

Im pretty sure Snyder will already establish all the groundwork for Aquaman (like effects and techniques) with Justice League.

There's only two ways I can see of doing it. You either shoot plates under water, then shoot Mamoa doing stuff in front of a greenscreen and insert him into the plates or you actually have Mamoa underwater with a scuba guy next to him to give him air and just digitally remove the scuba guy. Or a combination of both.

It's a little more complicated than that. They'll have to film him in slow motion to get that under water effect and maybe use a wind machine for his hair if they go the green screen route which could look amazingly bad. I'm kind of worried since Wan isnt that experienced with cgi.

>a couple of things have me worried
that's because you are not a flmmaker

That's the only solution that won't be distracting and annoying but yeah it'll be really goofy. Hopefully the audience just gets used to it.

Maybe you should primarily be worried about the fact that Momoa has never been in a good movie to date.

I imagine they were not overly concerned about talking when they greenlit the film because of synders disdain for having characters talk in costume anyway now that he does not have infulence after his flops there probably panicking.

For the breathing maybe if they had gone with the shirt they could run air up to him from a tank in his trident up though a pipe in his shirt (assuning they could develop some sort of fancy miniture breath mask) but as is its a problem

As for movement im not worried about that im sure they will do fone there.

But yes its going to take some technical genius to pull this off

You would have to face away from the camera though

Funny story, British military asked James Bond writers how they make the underwater breathing device.

Did anybody care when it happened in the DCAU?

>Aquaman can talk underwater but I have no idea how this is going to be presented in a movie that won't be goofy as fuck.

So 2 1/2 hours of this?

youtu.be/Y--MuIgwfQ4?t=50

Yeah that could work.

It was a little odd actually but since it's animation I let it go. Not sure if audiences will be able to do that with a live action movie.

James Wan has already said how he's going to go about the talking underwater thing.

Source?

Some con panel. Just google 'James Wan Underwater Aquaman' or something. I'd copy and paste it but I'm on my phone and the site takes too long to load without Adblock.

>I love the idea of underwater speaking but with a real sort of sonic, aquatic quality to it. So there's this sort of aquatic, almost sonar/whale thing. Even though it's in a human language, there's this slight sort of underlay to it, this ping to it, which I think would be interesting for us to design from a sound design perspective. Yeah, it will be fun. Also, Zack has some ideas that he'll be doing in Justice League.

cinemablend.com/news/1544549/how-the-aquaman-movie-will-tackle-characters-talking-underwater-according-to-james-wan

So he's going to have them talk and put a filter over it exactly like what OP thought.

>The only thing I can think of is maybe just having the Atlanteans use telepathy to communicate with one another but that might be even worse.
Since Aquaman mentally controls sea life, this would make sense and might not be too bad

Found him

Momoa seems intent on doing as much underwater stunts as possible