Wtf! How did Italy manage to become the eighth biggest economy in the world...

Wtf! How did Italy manage to become the eighth biggest economy in the world? I was always under the impression that they were an economically stunted, politically dysfunctional shithole like Spain or something.

Other urls found in this thread:

webitmag.it/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Italiaincoming.jpg
roman-rostovcev.livejournal.com/328694.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

They have a lot of gold.

they were like the third largest economy in the 70's or 80's, beating the UK, France, and West Germany.

Italy is neither a poor country nor some sort of failed state. Italy is a modern and industrialized economy that boasts its own high tech industry, multinationals and a high quality of life with some structural problems.

That is true for the north

Why are they so irrelevant on a geopolitical level then? Even within the EU they don't seem to have a very loud.

post 2017 stats

They sure didnbeqt the UK but you wish they beat us, France has never been behind shitaly in anyway

very loud voice*

>France

heh

The Italian PD is literally the biggest single force in the EuroParl and an Italian is the vice president of the European Commission and the head of the European diplomatic service.

No gold, Oliver ?

Oh yeah and the European Parliament is headed by an Italian as well. They were always ahead of the UK in influence within the EU, actually.

Brasil super power by 2020

I had no idea Japan was such a big guy

twice the population of the UK, mate.

This thread is making me realized I underestimated Italy. Always thought they weren't very powerful.

Maybe people assume they aren't economically well-off because the country keeps to themselves?

>no economy growth since 90s
>but still Top3

northern italy is carrying hard

Italys banking system is on the verge of collapse.

Where is the UK?

they had a bigger economy than the UK in the 70s

Don't forget that most of the tourism income comes from the South.

as well as most of the fuckin gabagool ey

especially 90s japan was larger than britain, france and germany combined

Italy is not fucking Greece which runs on olive oil and tourism. Italy actually has a decent economy which produces shit. They'll be fine.

mafia

where is your obesity chart?

except food :3

This. Italy has lots of industries.

Most of people only remember southern Italy when they think of us. We could do better, but we are not a shithole

Simply untrue. The highest concentration of tourists is in the north: webitmag.it/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Italiaincoming.jpg

Stop failing in the Soprano meme, TV shows =/= reality (wtf is gabagoo btw?)

How does this impact the economy of a country? We have plenty of that colonial and nazi gold, yet our economy struggles compared to the rest of western europe.

They lost WW2, and unified late. But I've read their army is actually quite good nowadays.

1/2032 shitalian americans trying to say capicola

>But I've read their army is actually quite good nowadays.

lmao doubt it

Here's the V*netian senores, lol you're fucking embarassing, I hope you're gonna get your beloved """independence""" so I won't be associated with you anymore.

capocollo*

VINNY

MY COUSIN

ARE YOU TELLIN ME

YOU DON'T FUCKIN KNOW ABOUT DA FUCKIN GABAGOOL? DA FUCKIN GABAGOOL NAN USETA MAKE US?

That would be truly a godsend. Northern Italy runs like Germany, while southern Italy resembles Kenya. The sooner we separate the two entities, the better

At least we didn't lost to some grown-up birds

Amount of reserved gold strongly affects credibility of money.

Fuck yeah! Another Catalonia! Can't wait for the show, just let me grab the popcorn.

>muh independence

population?

It's quite different when a third of a country literally is the engine of the entire nation. We won the referendum both in Veneto and Lombardia. The next government will have to make a decision regarding a federal-structured taxation, especially because it seems like the right will win

This!
If the south was just as industrialised and less of a shithole, we would have been 6 or even 5 biggest economy in the world beating France!

Pic related the glorious city of Naples! (Scampia Neighborhood)

They actually have a quite big industry, also a very robust independent car branch.

Why independence though? Wouldn't it be better to make Italy a federal state, as it should have been from the start?

Is that some kind of italo-american dialect? Because I can't figure it out where those words come from.

yes italian diaspora are the single most obnoxious group in all of america and that's a weighty claim

>India
>1.4 billion people
>still lower GDP than UK

We are currently aiming for that. What the North produces, should stay in the North. Complete independence is a dream, I think; but being able to spend our taxes here would already be a great success

Europoor cannot compete with us despite them having imoprted a lot of immigrants and Nippon facing the biggest stagnation in its history.

The silly Scottish cunt Gordon Brown sold all our gold.

>Italy is 8th
Texas is 7th

I once saw an episode of Jersey Shore and seeing those jocks made me feel disgusted of the humankind, especially when they praise their italian heritage.
I don't want to be associated with them.

Zitto Animale!

No one cares about Texas apart from people who live Texas, and even then I doubt most inhabitants do really. Everyone cares about Italy because Italy is lovely.

That actually could be a good thing for the south too. I still don't get why they never managed to get rid of the mafia in the first place.

>I was always under the impression that they were an economically stunted, politically dysfunctional shithole
That's because you're an idiot who uses Sup Forums as his primary source of information
>like Spain or something
QED

I started to think that they don't want to.
And yes, that would be good for them as well. They would have to start to actually think on how to make a country work

Southern Europe being a dysfunctional shithole is a pretty common stereotype, and it's pretty accurate.

OH NONONONONO
THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FFFFFFFFRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEEEE
I HAAAAAAAAAAAATTEEE FRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANCE

>most of the tourism income comes from the South.
Lmao, all the major destinations are in the center or the north.

I suggest you to don't pay attention to him, he's just another """independentist""" who fell for the "muh economic freedom" meme.
They would collapse in no time if they would separate from the rest of the country.

>le brexit face

>They would collapse in no time if they would separate from the rest of the country.
Please, explain me why. Why would we?

what a cool guy

>I was always under the impression that they were an economically stunted, politically dysfunctional shithole like Spain or something.

Spain fucking won.

Is this what the (in)famous american culture have teached to you? Quit Sup Forums for a while buddy, real life is a different thing, start visiting places in person instead.

>american intellectuals

Le Black Science Man is a fucking moron.
>The Renaissance isn't a thing
>Marco Polo and Christopher Columbus didn't exist
>Spain's most noteworthy landmark isn't a giant cathedral
There's a reason why he's featured on r/iamsosmart so much. I'm pretty sure Big Bang Theory's plot was written by a guy who just followed Tyson around all day and wrote down his musings. Just fucking look up his "I love football" tweet and tell me you couldn't see that being said by le Bazinga man.

Italian sounds so much better on the ears.

>ending everything in a vowel
>good language

>espana

this nigga is really underrating Spain's cathedrals.

Italy actually has 60 million people, I thought they were only around 40 million.

Italians are sneaky

>English
>not a meme, caveman language

Pls.

Not even here to defend mine, but Italian is BEAUTIFUL.

>ending everything in a consonant
>good language

Works in both ways as you can see

cuck

I've seen enough of Italian-Americans to know your kind.

there's more consonants than vowels

DELETE THIS NOW

BAR BAR BAR BAR BAR BAR

According to my friend Vinnie only New Jersey Italians say gabagol

Right, you've seen Italo-AMERICANS, not Italians.
If you grew up in America and assimilated the local culture since you were born then you're american, heritage is irrelevant.

This!
t.veneto negro

delete this

I'd like to meet an italo-american from New Jersey, just to see if we can communicate each other.

*chuckles*

i read book about sicilian mafia and you know my friend that american mafiosi from Cosa Nostra feared guys from Sicilia. Real italians are bosses of american italians in mafia.

Lamborghinis.

May I ask you which book? 'Cause you know, I'm sicilian, so that interests me.

Maybe this "gabagool" is a mispronunciation of "Capocollo" which is a type of cold cut. Is that correct?

one moment i'm searching.

bingo i read here.
roman-rostovcev.livejournal.com/328694.html

Probably some kind of slang because the words sound nothing alike in my opinion. Though I'm not Italian nor do I live in Jersey. I'm getting this info from a friend of mine whose brother married a woman from Jersey