Adult Swim's "Home Movies" in HD project

vid.me/eeWC

GUYS!

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/adultswim/comments/4xq66h/additional_details_regarding_the_remaster_project/
cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/lpiu.mp4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

what is this obsession with HD? The art in this show is meant to look like crude doodles. who cares how crisp the lines are?

It's time to pay the price.

Coach! Stay with me! Staywithme! DVD! DVDee!

>The art in this show is meant to look like crude doodles
It was meant to be as cheap as possible.

Also, lets be honest, it may have seemed fine at the time, but the shitty animation can really be detracting. Anytime I try to watch it with anyone who didn't grow up with it and/or was born after ~1996, they tell me they don't want to watch it because of how shitty it looks.

Eh, I kinda agree with the mlaatr one (really hoping it's out anytime soon) but this is just overkill

watch that one guy on the toonami generals flip out

It looks like it was made in flash, if so they could just use the original swfs and get any resolution they want, if they still have them

Yeah Season 1 was done with Tom Snyder's "squigglevision" program and the rest were all done in Flash.

Does anybody else consider Brandon mom hot ?

it's not likely they kept the source files.

Hanna Barbera keeps cells of most of their shows, and one episode alone probably generates 30k+ sheets.
Maybe they kept all the .fla files too, given that storage space is so cheap nowadays.

Oh, wow, it's actually in high definition. Before I clicked the link I thought it was going to look all smeared like those Blu-Ray releases of those old Disney movies or The Simpsons on FXXX.

That's the magic of digital animation software. Just look at what they did with South Park. The only giveaway those early episodes are from 1997 are because of the dated references, but they look just as modern because everything got re-rendered.

reddit.com/r/adultswim/comments/4xq66h/additional_details_regarding_the_remaster_project/

welp

according to , "these shows as they had been aired in recent years seemed incredibly dated next to current Adult Swim shows and ratings showed that they were not sitting well with modern TV audiences. The problem wasn't that the shows themselves were too "dated", but that, when aired more recently, these older shows had been sourced from copies of degraded 480p broadcast tapes digitized by the network in 2008.

So not only were these cartoons made with crude techniques and limited animation, but the video from these tape sources were heavily compressed, with visual artifacts like grain, noise, slight ghosting, and banding, color inbalance, etc. and audio that was often heavily compressed of its dynamic range, distorted, or muffled. Additionally, when these programs were aired, the picture was distorted and degraded even more by Turner broadcasting policy of stretching/zooming all 4:3 shows into 16:9 for broadcast. Essentially, these shows and the way they were presented were in dire need of some updating to be suitable for 2016 tv audiences."

So they're making it much better looking, basically

Honestly, the later episodes had a pretty decent level of detail compared to other [AS] shows of it's time.

true, but when they first switched to flash, you could tell the animators were struggling.

Over the summer, I have been interning as a production assistant on a project for Adult Swim down in Atlanta in which we are either re-animating, re-rendering, or remastering (or at the very least, doing high-quality transfers from the original master files or archival tapes) for future broadcast use on the cable network and for digital and online release/streaming. Why you may ask? Because Adult Swim realized that many of their fans/viewers still have a lot of nostalgia for these programs (and judging by the success of stuff like Teennick's classic Nick block "The Splat or "MTV Classic", this trend of "nostalgia programming" is here to stay for a while. However, these shows as they had been aired in recent years seemed incredibly dated next to current Adult Swim shows and ratings showed that they were not sitting well with modern TV audiences. The problem wasn't that the shows themselves were too "dated", but that, when aired more recently, these older shows had been sourced from copies of degraded 480p broadcast tapes digitized by the network in 2008.

So not only were these cartoons made with crude techniques and limited animation, but the video from these tape sources were heavily compressed, with visual artifacts like grain, noise, slight ghosting, and banding, color inbalance, etc. and audio that was often heavily compressed of its dynamic range, distorted, or muffled. Additionally, when these programs were aired, the picture was distorted and degraded even more by Turner broadcasting policy of stretching/zooming all 4:3 shows into 16:9 for broadcast. Essentially, these shows and the way they were presented were in dire need of some updating to be suitable for 2016 tv audiences.

Several of the original 2001 Adult Swim shows such as Home Movies (Season 1: new 4:3 master tape transfer, Seasons 2 - 4, new updated 16:9 HD animation and rendering), Aqua Teen Hunger Force (Seasons 1 - 4, except Pilot: rendering in 16:9 HD) are being given a sharp boost in visual quality and clarity.

Adult Swim-era episodes of Space Ghost Coast to Coast, as well as Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law, and Sealab 2021 are all simply being re-transfered from the original archival master tapes (or files if possible) and left in original 4:3 aspect ratio since the original Hanna-Barbera animation cells, backgrounds, and film negatives are not currently accessible for re-rendering (all we could manage to uncover was hard drives filled with an assortment of lower quality digital scans of these properties made using primitive computer software dating to anywhere from "Winter" 1993 to April of 2005).

There may also be additional "remastering" of other older Adult Swim shows in the future. I'm not sure. That's about all I can tell you for now.

So this is a real thing? It's not just an elaborate ruse?

Sounds cool.

Her curves are fucking 10/10.

Oh god, please tell me Lucy, Daughter of the Devil will get the same treatment

Doubtful but you never know

Yeah, that'd be pretty great.
Going to Burning Man. Going to Burning Man.

>Not wanting squigglevision in ultra Hi-Def HD 1080p 3D

lol

>4kHD squigglevision
Just kill me now.

Honestly, I've watched the Season One DVD on a giant HD tv before and really looks pretty decent.

Maybe I'm just being nit-pickey, but I have never been a huge fan of squigglevision. Maybe it's just the way the animators used it to distract people from the fact that they were looking at 30 seconds of stillframe at a time.

I feel that. It was just a way to animate really really really really cheaply.

Video has been deleted

I hope they air HD Home Movies in front of Toonami just to see how much the General loses their shit.

I swear those guys have such an insane amount of autistic hatred for the show

that's the point of it stupid ass

Anyone enjoy the feel of the first season
especially the UPN 5? I have the feeling it's just me.

Nope. That's my favorite season. Love the others too, but the first season had something really special and almost subversive about it.

here's a reupload
cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/lpiu.mp4

>Adult Swim-era episodes of Space Ghost Coast to Coast, as well as Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law, and Sealab 2021 are all simply being re-transfered from the original archival master tapes (or files if possible) and left in original 4:3 aspect ratio

So does this mean we'll be getting better copies of these shows?

Is anybody gonna upload them when they're available?

that makes me feel good that someone else feels the same

I can't find this one. link?