Explain why tuition free college is a bad idea

What would be the stipulations? I just looked up, about $400 billion is spent on tuition a year.

Because it isn't free.

Free higher education means more education is required to get a good job. Those who are actually deserving of of said education and jobs then have to devote even more time and money to schooling.

Does this sound like a positive to you?

>tuition free college

i think you mean public skool k-14

slide thread? what's being shilled off the first page guys?

also sage and hide

Once the government started pushing one hundred percent high school graduation (read: dumb it down so even literal retards can pass) a high school degree immediately became worthless. A bachelors became the new base level to demonstrate competency.

If everyone has a bachelor's degree, it also becomes "not good enough", necessitating even more higher education for someone to be competitive.

It's called 'degree inflation' and it's becoming a pretty big issue in western Europe with their """free""" universities. A master's is rapidly becoming the minimum acceptable level of education to satisfy hiring managers in many occupations. I've spoken with several Germans who have told me that their equivalent of a bachelors degree is pretty much a scrap of paper in the engineering fields.

Aside from the obvious issue of cost, this keeps young men and women out of the job market for another two years or so. Two years that could be spent generating wealth for family formation and the economy at large. On an individual level it's not that big a deal, but spread across society it's significant.

1. College is expensive
2. Taxpayers would have to foot the bill
3. the value of a degree would be greatly diminished, such as the value of a diploma
4. there would be less incentive to get a degree that has value, because you would not be spending any money on it, therefore:
5. there would be less educated professionals entering the workforce

I think community college should be fully state funded though, the general education degree is a jew scam, failing that, colleges should no longer have general education requirements, if you can pass your 2-4 year major program you should earn a degree.

>Free higher education means more education is required to get a good job.
no, where do you get this?

>have to devote even more time and money
>more money
>in a free college society

>about $400 billion is spent on tuition a year.
Becasue tuition is grossly overinflated in USA.

>what is athlet fees

And everyone knows that. Except conservatives and Sup Forumstards

Because a republican didnt think of it

>tfw republicans conveniently forget thst obamacare was really just romneycare on a national level

>A master's is rapidly becoming the minimum acceptable level of education to satisfy hiring managers in many occupations. I've spoken with several Germans who have told me that their equivalent of a bachelors degree is pretty much a scrap of paper in the engineering fields.

Fuck dude I couldn't imagine getting out of school at just STARTING my career at a minimum age of like 25-26. That shit is fucked up.

Community college is already funded nearly completely. Base tuition is about 75% funded by state and local governments with students responsible for the rest. When combined with Pell grants it's almost 100% paid for. Asking students to put in the last 5% to 25% isn't that bad.

>dumb it down so even literal retards can pass)
source?

>a high school degree immediately became worthless
Because economy became much more specialized (the so called manufacturing jobs)

>If everyone has a bachelor's degree, it also becomes "not good enough"
no, lol. Depends on the desires of the market.

> it's becoming a pretty big issue in western Europe with their """free""" universities.
source? We have big deficits of graduates in some areas

> I've spoken with several Germans who have told me that their equivalent of a bachelors degree is pretty much a scrap of paper in the engineering fields.

Yes, becasue the market is competitive.

It is an excellent example of the maxim 'any government program achieves the exact opposite of its stated goal'.

1. There is less incentive to actually pass the course you took.
2. There is less incentive to actually take something which is going to be worth the investment ($0).
3. Because of this massive influx of dumbasses doing stupid courses, tuition fees will increase as high as the government is willing to pay, which will come out of taxes.

I wouldn't be entirely opposed if universities were forced to shut down their humanities departments.

>all that shit already happens
>literally all that shit

Because people already have access to all subjects without paying upfront and you get many people doing gender studies. Before Obama created this army of rejects you had the banks in charge of doing the student loans and they would only do it for subjects with career paths.

Why? So we can be like India where every other idiot has an engineering degree and thus they are worthless?

>1. There is less incentive to actually pass the course you took.
source?

>2. There is less incentive to actually take something which is going to be worth the investment ($0).

source?

> Because of this massive influx of dumbasses doing stupid courses
Becasue in USA, where college is not free, this doesn't happen, amirite?

> tuition fees will increase as high as the government is willing to pay
This is not how free college works, bro

It will become way less valuable and worthless as a high school education. It will basically become Grades 13-16 or whatever. It's a terrible idea.

>Hello sir, i read in your resumme that you learned theoreticall physics by watching that nigger scientist and discovery channel

>It will become way less valuable and worthless as a high school education.
This as n othing to do with the amount of deggres there is. Our economy advanced, and unskilled labour is dying. The so called manufacturing jobs.

Nothing specific is being slid. It's all a slide. CTR and the faggots from Reddit who do it for free have been working 24/7 for months to destroy the forum completely.

It doesn't fucking matter if you sage. They're going to create more shit faster than you can. The threads that do stay up, they shit in them even harder.

They're shutting it down.

>>/leftypol/

>athletic fees
>implying sports stadiums are what is driving a ridiculous industry

It's mostly based on grant-research pushes for faculty and a denouncement of teaching as the primary goal. In order to keep the best minds in research, unis offer equal/better pay than in non-academic settings.

Any industry related to college research benefits from outrageous prices pushed onto students. Publishing houses, labs, banks via loans, credit card companies, etc.

All of them benefit off a system that expanded too rapidly post-1950 and b/c they didnt want to gravy train to run out after 'nam (around the time uni enrolment would have dropped due to baby boomer era ending) they pushed for university to become a more integral part of american life, i.e. high school, uni, job, wife, kids, etc.

>>implying sports stadiums are what is driving a ridiculous industry
Not, it's just to show a ridiculous thing that americans pay for.

>CTR and the faggots from Reddit who do it for free have been working 24/7 for months to destroy the forum completely.
>implying there are actual shills here and it's not our user base that shits up this.

pro-tip, i already did a few bait threads.

pic related

If sending a below-average student to college for a sociology BA was actually a good investment, investors would be offering those loans. It isn't, so they have to balance their risk with high rates and no possibility of defaulting. Even still, the government subsidizes the loans.

If it's a straight-A student who wants to study Comp Sci, the investment is good. A $60k loan that leads to a $60k/year job can be paid off in 10 years, with interest paid for by salary increases.

Sometimes people should be taking loans to start businesses rather than for college. College should not be the only path to success. An entrepreneur or franchise owner contributes more to society than most grads. And on that note, yes, it's nice to have a populace with well-rounded educations like college can provide, but it comes at a large cost of time and money.

College prices also just rise more and more because of gov't funding. It is a vicious cycle.

Shill.