From a Garth Ennis interview:

From a Garth Ennis interview:

mtv.com/news/2621392/mtv-geek-interview-garth-ennis-at-the-barcelona-international-comicon/

MTV Geek: I can understand that experience! I lived in Europe for a few years and grew up with titles like Tintin and Asterix and Obelix.

Garth Ennis: I love Asterix and Obelix! It’s great and super sarcastic. The way the characters talk to each other is just wonderful.

Geek: It’s such an adult comic while also being suitable for kids. I love comics that can transcend the boundaries of age.

Ennis: It’s that classic multi layer thing. The kids see the brightly colored funny people and big fat Obelix doing ridiculous things, while the adults are looking at the beautiful dialogue and the clever subtext and historical aspects. What a wonderful comic!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-hsP7tSGNGc
youtube.com/watch?v=JtEkUmYecnk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Are these characters popular in wurope or something? No one in the states likes them except my dad, and there designs are fucking awful.

Is this the true face of bait?

Also, yes they are insanely popular in Europe. Which is good, because the comics are fucking great. Well, only the older ones of course. But those were consistently great.

Yeah, they're pretty damn popular.

They are popular all over the western world. People my age I know in Australia, England and the US all read Asterix and Tintin. They were the most borrowed books in the school library when I was a kid.

Also for a while Asteric and Obelix was the highest grossing movie of all time in France.

I used to borrow these from my school library when I was a kid.
In Australia

Your dad should've thrown your mother off a staircase when she was pregnant with you.

Asterix, Lucky Luke, Isnogud...are there any modern comics that are like those?

>mfw my mother threw away my dad's Asterix collection because she thought comics were bad

It was 30 years ago, but still.

They are the only comic book characters my parents like, and they hate comic books with a passion

>and they hate comic books with a passion
Can i ask why?

They consider it violent garbage.

They never prohibited reading them, it's just that they considered it worthless garbage.

It's funny, because both of my grandparents think otherwise, and my grandma was a math teacher, and she liked them.

I tried to give Dylan Dog (Johnny Freak) to my mother, and she just couldn't read it, even if she liked the art. That's how deep the disgust is.

Meanwhile, both of grandmas liked, cried while reading, and enjoyed it.

cont. what makes it even funnier, because while my mother loved watching the Asterix animated movies, she never grabbed a comic, again, even if she liked the art.

My father just thinks the comics are for kids, and that they are just stupid.

>They consider it violent garbage.
And they like Asterix?

Asterix and Obelix are always fun, from learning some odd bits of actual history, to appreciating the irony and sarcasm ... all the way to the simple English-language pun names.

Unhygienix the Fishmonger. Perfect.

Asterix might be the reason why I can't agree with Roman-boos in /his/.

They never read it, they just like the look of it, because it looks very disney-family friendly.

Underage shouldn't post here, get back to Sup Forums, cunt.

>conqvest
Gold.

Who is best Asterix girl?

reminder

Lolyeah, this didn't happen, kthxbye

...I wish...

NO! STOP RIGHT THERE, MOTHERFUCKTERIX!

Why did Uderzo have such a hateboner against Manga?

manga's pretty big in france, lots of japanese-influenced artists

If my wife did that to me, I would divorce her. Not even kidding. I would just straight up leave. So much disrespect.

It's clear he knows nothing about it. The "Nagmas" were "parodies" of Mazinger Z and Beyblade. He forgot to include actual valid criticisms.

>Well, only the older ones of course. But those were consistently great.
I would say, Uderzo still managed to make some good one on his own.

I grew up reading this, it's great. Ennis is right, as usual.

Personal opinion, but I think one of his last one was my personal favorite.

A bit depressing, though. As kids, you read it as grown man cartoon characters acting all silly and being stupid, but once you grow up, you realize this is all way too true.

He saw an hentai once and hated it.

I would add those two as good "Uderzo solo" Asterix.

I suspect "Le Grand fossé" to have been slightly influenced by "Asterix chez les belges" seeing as it was done not long after it.

Cleopatra's nose.

No wonder this talentless hack likes this shit.

@85488781

>having kancolleshit on your computer
Makes sense you like Ennis and Asterix. You have no taste.

I... don't recognize that cover. What's the story?

There are plenty of reasons to disagree with Roma-boos. I mean, they fetischize a culture that never gave up on human sacrifices or on hating on science. Their population had to be replaced on a genetic level before we could restart our thousand-year ascend back to the heights hellenist greece commanded.

Aliens.
No, I'm serious. Aliens from space visit the Gauls and someshit happens.
In the end they hit the village with amnesia beam to make them forget it all.

Manga invade their village, but then cape comics an disney cartoon come to help them, then everyone forget that it ever happened.

AND I MEAN FUCKING EVERYONE, INCLUDING THE READERS.

This happens.

Lel that sounds hilarious in a NOT MUH CANON way.

Any of you happen to know if it's scanlated and/or happen to have a link?

DELET THIS

Obelix can eat.

youtu.be/-hsP7tSGNGc

God damn this scene makes me so hungry

He's old and doesn't like change

>yfw you reading The Boys and the female literaly fell into a bucket of Compound V in Dr.Uderzo's lab
>yfw the Female is Obelix

i do wonder what camel taste like.
also
>when you realise that the bureaucracy task wasn't much of an exaggeration
youtube.com/watch?v=JtEkUmYecnk

Tastes a little like beef. A bit fattier though, especially depending on the cut. Though in some preparation methods that's the entire point (camel hump is served in a way that melts the fat making it soft and oily)

Older camel gets a slightly tangy game taste to it.

the european comic industry is stronger than ever. way more than the cape comics one.

are you putting this on equal ground with Sentry ripping someone in half in a full color page?

It almost killed the franco-belgium tradition. Even Moebius himself threw a rant in the same vein.

because he saw the shitty ones in the 80's and 90's that flooded the market with shit his generation consider obscene and illegal.

It's kind of more complex than that.
His generation for instance had a blast with the arrival of American comics, their freshness and more adult tones were extremely mind blowing in post war Europe. Gosciny himself worked at early Mad and Morris did his carreer living in the US as well.
I think his problem with mangas, as shown in the book, is that he made his opinion based on animes, grendizer and other crude ones. He was probably badly surrounded at the time, and followed the media anti manga craze of the 90's instead of the open minded curiosity he had with American products 30 years before.

Holy shit, does anyone have that page ?

>haven't read Asterix & Obelix in years
>randomly happen to see this in a shop
>oh cool, they're still making these, guess I'll have some fun and relive my childhood
>mfw I'm done reading

I have the Polish edition of it and the comic itself is so bad its hilarious, complete with LOL, MEMORY WIPE following the climax.

Also, it was a sure sign of Asterix being turned to shit after Goscinny's death when text boxes with explainations for inter-issue references began to pop up.

The two last one (Asterix and the Picts and Asterix and the Missing Scroll) weren't as bad. They were made by a new writer and artist. The writting isn't as good as Goscinny but they are way better than the last one Uderzo made.

>traditional french village in the middle
>invading mangashit on the left
>invading capeshit on the right
>everything is fucking ruined, forever
asterix was always social satire, the reason this one hurts is because it's satirizing itself

Not him, but can you tell me more? This sounds quite interesting.

Would you, user?

Only if she pegs me with that nose

Chapter 38, page 6-7

Okay so, this has been bugging me for a while, and I REALLY don't want to sound full tumblr here, but does Uderzo hate women?

Every woman in the Asterix comics is either a complete bitch, a manipulative lying cunt, or a damsel in distress. I was reading "Caesar's Gift" and the newcomer's daughter is thinking about how her parents are tearing apart the village and her mom says "It's okay we can go to parisium and I'll get you some dresses and jewelry" and she's like "DRESSES AND JEWELRY!?"

I mean I'm not asking for feminist literature but at least write a lady who isn't a vapid cunt.

notsureiftrollingordumb.jpg

Asterix started in 1959, norms were a bit different back then.

I bet you love this character then.

First for "Caesar's Gift" Uderzo was the artist, Goscinny was the writer.
Second Caesar's Gift was written in 1977, so mentality weren't the same.

>Uderzo turned Asterix into a woman-beater just to forward a le feminism storyline

O I am laffin'

>>everything is fucking ruined, forever
Nah, everything got retconned. The US Hegemony is safe once again.

With those lips and nose?

Yes. A thousand times yes.

I believe Tommy said it best, last panel.

Goscinny struck me as the kind of guy who was just raised in a different time, with different social norms. In context, none of the female villagers felt any more foolish than the male villagers, and you had some characters, like Cleopatra, who did exhibit a sense of dignity- at least within the confines of a comedic work.

Uderzo, though, holy shit, the only thing that seems to scare Uderzo more than Asians is women.

That's hilarious.

>when you realise that the bureaucracy task wasn't much of an exaggeration
Exaggeration? I wish it was that easy...

Sadly it's a shoop.

When I was younger and didn't know that Le grand fossé was a Uderzo solo, I really disliked it. I found L'odysée d'Astérix and Astérix chez Rahazade pretty cool though.

>Moebius
>Hating on Manga
He named his daughter Nausicaä after Miyazaki's character (who is itself named after a character from Homer's Odyssey)

He may have complained of poor quality Manga, but probably not more or less than about the pile of extremely shitty European and American comics.

Also
> It almost killed the franco-belgium tradition
Just no

>In context, none of the female villagers felt any more foolish than the male villagers
Yeah, it's not like the male half of the village is made up of paragons of reason who stand above wordly desires and common strife.

Why are you lying are on the internet?

Are you implying it didn't, lad?
The only thing coming out of France and Belgium these days is Weeaboo trash and 3d-pixar shit.

>The only thing coming out of France and Belgium these days is Weeaboo trash and 3d-pixar shit.
You're full of shit. I actually live there and read new BD all the time.

But that's wrong, just look at any editor like soleil,dellcourt,glénat, dargaud...
But let me guess the only thing you know about "thing coming out France and Belgium these days" are Wakfu and Ladybug.

Eh, it wasn't *that* bad.

As a kid you wouldn't get the mango references anyway.

I'll agree the memory wipe ending was lame though.

>the scan is a library book
At least that explains why the scan is less than great.

My number one question is, did FRANCE even like it? Do they have the same distaste for Uderzso's writing we Americans do?

But Grendizer was at least as good said American comics of the time.

No, it's considered by most people as the worst Asterix album.

Maybe the comic is just, I dunno, taking place in BC 50 or so, and they had different norms for women at the time.

>is either a complete bitch, a manipulative lying cunt
I think he just wanted to keep at least some things believable and realistic.

I feel like Asterix and Son was supposed to be the series finale.

Dude was born in a much different time, of course he going to a different view on women.

What?
Are you one of those idiots who believes in the "dark ages"?

The next Eagles volume of that should be out this year.

I guess if it were made today there would be female warriors in the village but it's too late to introduce them now.

Not sure if that would be more of a Briton thing because of Boudicca and all but aren't they all Celtic.

Because all the characters in the village outsied of Asterix and Panoramix were vapid cunts, even Obelix was like that at times.
Outside of that there were decent women, see Cleopatra.

And why would a gaul NOT be a woman-beater, tumblr?

Holy fuck no, people shat bricks when it came out.

I still remember TF1 going on like "hourra, Un nouvelle Astérix!!". I pity the reporter who was tasked to report on it and try to make it look good.

I love Asterix.

Quick Sup Forums
You have to think of a duo of Sup Forums characters that could deal with all 12 tasks
>Run faster than Asbestos, champion of the Olympic Games
>Throw a javelin farther than Verses, the Persian.
>Beat Cilindric, the German
>Cross a lake/Be able to resist to an Island of perfect waifus
>Survive the hypnotic gaze of Iris, the Egyptian.
>Finish a meal by Calorofix, the Belgian.
>Survive the Cave of the Beast.
>Find Permit A 38 in "The Place That Sends You Mad".
>Cross a ravine on an invisible tightrope, over a river full of crocodiles.
>Climb a mountain and answer the Old Man's riddle.
>Spend a night on the haunted plains
>Survive the Colosseum.