What did I think of this film, Sup Forums?

What did I think of this film, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iB4zDtVZojM
youtube.com/watch?v=0TJ1BQjI9m4
youtube.com/watch?v=pCKwtUXyU1k
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

good but too long and repetitive, the torture scenes lost their impact too soon, especially after adam driver's character dies. Expecting me to give a shit about some random japs after already seeing a major character die was dumb.

why did the Chinese hate the monks so much? It never explains it. Also the language is too hard to understand and acting was strange.

>why did the Chinese hate the monks so much?
>Chinese
>monks
>It never explains it.
But it is explained in the scene where the inquisitor talks with the priest in his house. The problem is that Japan has its own culture and some aspects of Christianity goes against that culture, like polygamy for example.
You wouldn't feel comfortable if tomorrow some Islamic priest or something tries to convert you and your country into Islam.

It was badly acted

it is bad

I loved it but I'm a little puzzled at the intention of the message. For anyone who pays attention it's a clear "both sides are wrong" type of story but it felt like Scorsese pulled back a bit and let one side take over.

I'm not in a position to say it was done to not upset western viewers and to give an easily digestible yay Christianity message to the layman but that's at least what it felt like.

The Christians idolatry for example is a running theme throughout the movie but it feels more like an undercurrent and one that is never really touched upon. AG talks shit about his worry over the Japanese placing such significance on their rosaries and anything else they gave them yet the entire final arc is about AG placing a literal idol above the lives of himself and other Japanese people. Yet instead of illuminating that we get a muh Christian resilience ending.

So it's not even a "let me tip my fedora at you Christians" feeling I have against this movie so much as I felt like there was a really strong message about both sides getting lost in their own traditions and losing the heart of it that just never went anywhere.

should have won best movie

kino

Should've got more nominations to begin with with. The film only was nominated for best cinematography and lost that one anyway. That's a fucking blasphemy

To all cunts saying THEY SHOULD HAVE SPOKEN PORTUGUESE or THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN PLAYED BY PORTUGUESE ACTORS, I am portuguese, and I say that not having them speaking portuguese or going for portuguese actirs was the best choice

Also, there is no dubbed version of it in Portuguese, because we ain't savages

>Jay Cocks

pftffhftfhfhf HAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAAA

Surprisingly better than the book

My Portuguese friend said that in Portugal they only dub children movies, is that right?

yes. That is true, subtitles in everything else.

Why the fuck does Germany ruin their movies by dubbing them?

Same reason americans ruin anime and japanese video games

>What did I think of this film, Sup Forums?

Boring as shit, though it might have been barely tolerable if Kylo Ren was the main character instead of Spiderfag.

>ruin anime and japanese video games

nobody cares about that shit

Garfield saved it, he's an actor that I feel has rescued mediocre films like this or Hacksaw.

not a fan of the catholic bumlicking though, is right with Scorsese

all in all 7/10 enjoyed, dunno while they filmed it on Taiwan though

This film was shunned by hollywood because it portrayed Christians in a positive light.

there wasn't much dialogue

I think you could look at it like this user, his wife placed the cross into his hands. It's less christian resilience and more the point of the 'Japan is a swamp' message. Even the hard priest's faith slips, he goes to his symbols like the jap converts. In the end his jap wife gives him the symbol, but he is buried in the Buddhist tradition. The title

Americans don't dub movies. Dubbing animation is a completely different thing because it's made for fucking children.

i liked it very much

>Garfield saved it, he's an actor that I feel has rescued mediocre films like this or Hacksaw.

He was terrible in Hacksaw Ridge and Silence, the guy is a shit actor who only gets gigs because he's gay.

Anyone seen the Japanese version?

It was a legitimate fear of European colonialism, everyone seen what happened when the Spanish converted the Philippines and fucked it irrevocably absorbing it into the empire. The reality was many daiymo converted to Christianity just to gain alliance of European power and promote its influence in Japan

Absolute kino

I'm sure it was dubbed in Brazil

I never knew people actually watch subtitles in other countries before I came to Sup Forums. It was a big surprise.

Hearing Garfield and Driver speak portuguese woulda been hilarious psh.

Overall good and especially very beautiful

Negatives:
Andrew Garfield is shit
Could've been 30min shorter

Glad I saw it in theaters though

>Tfw when watching El Silencio in el favela cine with my bowl of monkey soup
Uma delicia

>Garfield saved it
What?? He wasn't as bad as some people think, but all in all he was easily the weakest of the main cast.

10/10. Scorsese's masterpiece, but you need to be catholic and/or somewhat educated in catholic theology to get it.

So, a masterpiece but not for everyone.

iirc they filmed in Taiwan because it was way cheaper "renting" the space they needed to shoot, and also the man labour

Couldn't get over Garfield's terrible accent SEEN AS HE WAS TALKING CONSTANTLY and meme face's face made me whoa every time it cropped up..

The Jesuits were/are vile human beings and this is no way a portrayal of the true history of these disgusting satanists.

This is hollywood's trying to massage your mind into thinking this is how it went down on the average field trip for these occultists.

t. Butthurt Redemptorist

Father.. easy on the hail Mary's

>who only gets gigs because he's gay.

Hello Sup Forums

Lap up the jew propaganda, good goy.

>nobody cares about that shit
So sorry I forgot this board was for game of cucks and BBC

So is capeshit, yet you still watch it.

Like Andy better in this than hacksaw. Quite liked the movie.

It wasn't, I watched in English in theaters.
>O SilĂȘncio no cinema da favela com minha cumbuca de sopa de macaco.

Because they LITERALLY can't dub

youtube.com/watch?v=iB4zDtVZojM

youtube.com/watch?v=0TJ1BQjI9m4

spoilers you shitty fuck

Just read the book. It takes about as long to read as the movie's runtime anyway.

If I go to Japan will they give me a waifu like Andrew Garfield did?

Most snubbed movie I've ever seen by the Academy. Andrew Garfield was twice as good in this as he was in Hacksaw Ridge. Liam Neeson deserved a Best Supporting Actor nom and the cinematography was breathtaking

I agree but unfortunately no one saw it. I think it's one of Scorsese's best and was my favorite of last year.

youtube.com/watch?v=pCKwtUXyU1k