Is this the most anti-capitalist movie of the last 20 years?

is this the most anti-capitalist movie of the last 20 years?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LYcNa2w-HYI
youtube.com/watch?v=7VaA6_CDRyY
youtube.com/watch?v=Td88z08a_4c
youtu.be/3yBfWz2bSOQ
Sup
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Funny, 'cause in the books, they destroy a museum.

Only the plebiest of the plebs actually think that the narrator's problem stem from consumerism instead of seeing it as a sympton.

>we destroyed the banks
No it's not

it's the most reddit movie in the last 20 years

I thought Reddit hated male identity? Explain.

Snowpiercer brahv

Why people keep misunderstanding the plot?

This is no birth of an ubermensch, it's a man falling into madness in a downward spiral.

If you agree with any philosophical shit he spews you are an edgy, ignorant teen that doesn't know any better.

are you fucking retarded? why was tyler smashing banks/cars and saying all that shit abotu individualism?

Because he was insane. And Tyler isn't even a real person. You're the retard.

He wanted to reduce everything to nothing. So it all starts over. Going back to a literal tribal mentality.

>reading books

Look at this pleb

it's got nothing to do with capitalism
FC is a venture into the mind of the male's role in a neutered society. it's about the revolt of masculinity, of taking your own life back
it's supposed to be an exaggeration while still talking some sense in the minds of those who watch it
it's unfortunate it only spawned a bunch of fedora neckbeards though, but the movie is still top notch, Finchman's best

>fight club was just about a crazy person
>nothing his alter ego ever said matters
you are dumb.
oh come on, all those anti-consumerist/materialist sentiments in the film were all for nought?

You are supposed to sympathize with his world view at first. But eventually realize he is a crazy retard that took things too far

I doesn't matter, because the protagonist is Tyler Durden and he realizes how fucking dangerous he has become and his organization of dehumanized minions. People stupid enough to join a man punching himself in a parking lot.

This is why the school year needs to be longer

>all those anti-consumerist/materialist sentiments in the film were all for nought?

as points out consumerism is only a symptom, not the actual cause

It's almost like films can have different meanings for different people

>anti-capitalist
Wat. No.

Ikr. Too bad it's always the stupid ones that grasp all the attention.

Zodiac is slightly better.

not even close

Wrong

Do you even know what actual anarchism is?

cause of what? what is the cause of this thing?

If someone needs to explain it to you means that you actually don't understand what the movie was about.

i havent seen the movie yet

what are some movies that feature "badass" scenes?

also accepted: movies with an enthusiastic march to battle (like the beginning of gangs of new york)

the cause of a male submitting to the norms of society and letting himself become a cog in the machine

It's about the destruction of masculinity in a generation that are raised by women, as women.

Funny how this movie would never have been made if it came out now.

Vaguely remember Brad Pitt, Fincher or Norton saying as much in a magazine article for it being too dark and not a franchise along with the obvious themes of masculinity and rebelling against "the system"

What's the name of the song that plays during this sequence? I've wondered for years.

>the destruction of masculinity in a generation that are raised by women, as women.
thats literally just one line from the movie
it's not about that, it has next to nothing to do with masculinity

Goin Out West by Tom Waits

tom waits - going out west
one of the manliest musicians

He was literally talking about the movie.

I have seen the film and read the book but masculinity is a HUGE part of the movie.

Huh. I have had Tom Waits lying in wait for years. I will finally give it a shot.

Thanks, my dudes.

There's one scene I never understood, when they are standing in the bus and the large guy comes through, bumping norton's shoulder like he's not even there but still vaguely apologizing ('scuse me')

someone explain the purpose of that moment

Self improvement is masturbation.

You weren't paying attention very well. Literally the next scene 2 seconds after is Ed Norton pummelling that same big guy in the ring.... He won that fight and got revenge for that slight.

Newfag.. the first 2 rules of this site are based off of it.

Fight Club isn't anti-consumer or anti-capitalist because the Brad Pitt alter-ego turns out to be the villain.

Tyler is mentally ill and feels like there is an emptiness in his life, which he tries to fill with many things like furniture, violence, etc. The one thing he DENIES himself however is Marla, who even though he's fucking her imagines himself somewhere else while his 'friend' is in the relationship.

Fight Club is a love story. Why do you think Marla shows up and they hold hands after Brad Pitt alter-ego is 'killed'

>and i used to be such a nice guy

It clearly has anti-capitalist commentary. And though Tyler does turn into the villain at the very end, it doesn't explicitly condemn his actions. I would argue at the very end, there is a mental compromise between "Jack" and Tyler, where they essentially are fused. You'll notice Marla and "Jack" hold hands as all the financial headquarters crash and burn to the ground. He doesn't condemn it and actually seems happy about it.

It was written in such a way not to explicitly condone terrorist activity but STILL was written as a vehicle for Tyler Durden's philosophy which is glorified in the whole book and movie.

Furthermore, I would argue that it isn't necessary an anti-capitalist movie, though that seems to be what most people took away from it. It's anti-authoritarian, and it's about recovering and glorifying your masculinity in an increasingly cucked age..... which is advise that's even *more* suited towards today's era than in the 90s. This movie couldn't and wouldn't be made today.

at the end, the Paper Street Soap Company goes to the extreme opposite and it that *also* is painted in a negative light.

But I'm an anarcho-capitalist and I find the movie really does embrace our value almost 100%, while also warning about the dangers of achieving your goals in the most extreme way.

>it has next to nothing to do with masculinity

I thought it was more about him just not wanting to grow up and it was him fighting against the things that you do when you become an adult. Get a job, get credit, get married, buy a house, fill that house with crap, and so on. The end is him realizing he has to grow up and accepts responsibility and Marla.

>love Fincher filmography and his social commentary about the infantilization of modern men
>learn he'll direct a zombies flick for manchildren

why

You'll get it when you grow up. Adult life is about obligations and responsibility. The "fuck the system" and "just let go people" become degenerates who live on welfare and suffer from addiction.
Tyler is a manifestation of everyone's desire to say 'fuck it' to adulthood. But he snaps back.

so that he can get passion projects made more easily you dumb fuck

Holy shit! A non-retarded person itt!

>You'll notice Marla and "Jack" hold hands as all the financial headquarters crash and burn to the ground. He doesn't condemn it and actually seems happy about it.
Because that's what he wanted. The book is more explicit about Sebastian (the narrator's real name according to Palahniuk) and what he wants. Which is starting a life with Marla.
>It was written in such a way not to explicitly condone terrorist activity but STILL was written as a vehicle for Tyler Durden's philosophy which is glorified in the whole book and movie.

But it condemned Tyler's ideals. By the end of the book and movie Sebastian considers Tyler like a psycho and realizes he was following a crazy cultist.

The irony of Project Mayhem is that, people go from corporate zombies to cultist zombies.

By the end Sebastian rejects Tyler and what society was telling him to do. He took his life into his hands and what he wants is to be with Marla.

In FC2 Palahniuk appears in the story to explain that people shouldn't listen to him or follow him.

OK i got a question, can someone explain to me the scene when narrator is in the work meeting and some guy mentions something to him and he just grins at him with a bloody smile. Seems like the scene is heavily edited but I wonder why include it at all

youtube.com/watch?v=LYcNa2w-HYI
what was the purpose of this?

100%

>muh book

fuck off fag

I don't know but it makes me want to grab a Starbucks.

It was an edgy way to tell him he was not a corporate slave like him, and he no longer cared for trying to impress other, specially people with higher authority. Also, it's his way of flipping him off without actually flipping him off. He just wanted to make him feel grossed and uncomfortable.

ITT, millenial retards that haven't read Nietzsche. This movie is not anti-capitalistic. It's 100% Nietzschean thought.

Conflict is the root of all that is good in the world. Destruction is necessary for creation. As "Jack" aka Tyler Durden destroys his life, he grows stronger and draws closer to perfection. That is why "hitting bottom" is celebrated - His life was stagnant and going nowhere, thst's why he needed to create the alter ego of Tyler Durden (the ultimate ubermensch role model) to shake things up and break him away from his rout. He destroyed everything he owned to recover the most important part of his persona - The ability of not giving a fuck, the ability of letting that which does not matter, truly slide.

The Will to Power is awakened in him through his alter ego of Tyler. To get there he needed to toss aside consumerist trappings, religion, his job, his apartment, his normal life.

Yes, he was delusional, and went to extremes to solve his issues, but that doesn't make the message any less real or important.

The core message of the movie is the Will to Power. Everything else (anti-capitalism, mental illness, anti-consumerism, masculinity) is secondary to this motif.

>ITT: My interpretation is the right one.

Yeah, but when people fail at that realization that's where you get all the fedora neckbeards from. The film is just to make you think, not a guide by which to live your life.

Scott Pilgrim was good I guess I'm reddit now.

Nigga I just said the book is more explicit about the point. Fincher really thought you guys were smarter than what you really are.

I don't think the movie is anti-capitalism or anti-consumerism as much as anti-modernity in general, it denounces modernity and the convenience stemming from it as something that is emasculating and pussifying. The fights are like them returning to a more natural, primal state of being. Tyler is his human voice who was being smothered by modernity, only instead of dying he asserted himself.

Your "adult life" is nothing more than an illusion, your khaki pants and Ikea furniture, and bank account do not define who you are.

The people dying from cancer are more real and woke than half of the corporate zombies the narrator has in his life, which is why he starts there on his role to enlightement.

This people - desperate for living - have gained the ability to let go of materialist trappings and embrace what really matters. The ability of letting that which is not important to slide.

t. read half of will to power and posts gay reddit-tier quote pics as if he has any idea what he's talking about

Feel free to discuss any of my points and have an adult talk instead of acting butthurt.

I have read most of Nietzsche's works btw.

You are spot on.

You should read Ted Kaczynski's Industrial society and it's future, he writes a lot about how modern technological society is unable to satisfy man's innate will to power. Tyler is just as luddite as anti-consumerist, he goes to live in dilapitated house, because he wants to break his need for convenience and comfort.
Yeah, though I think the movie couldn't be made today because it's framed by it's time period. Late 90s you had lots of cults springing up, dissatisfaction with the system and anticipation of SHTF(the kind that project mayhem was trying to bring about) was more widespread than it is today.

Snowpiercer is more anti feudalism rather than capitalism. Capitalism is a more even playing field among each member of a society. Snowpiercer has members of the train set in their class.

>kaczynski
hello rèddit! ted thinks we should revert back to trad life where everyone lives in a cabin inna woods like ol marty heidegger. tradfags don't realize that there's no going back. we've become so dependent on tech to do shit that teenagers don't know used to be done manually back inna day. it's going to get worse before some collapse happens (see: nano/bio-tech) and even then we'll never expunge tech from our lives entirely.

It isn't anti consumer and anti capitalist, those are two things that heavily contributed to the dysfunction that created Tyler in the first place. Just because Tyler's hyper masculine reactionary anarchism is rejected in the end doesn't mean he turned around annre-embraced the system that damaged him in the first place. He chose the third path, where he realizes what is truly important to him: his relationship with Marla outside the fucked up soulless confines of capitalist consumerism

But he can do that by producing. Not being a sell out and direct this kind of trash.

More tech will create opportunities to traditional communieies though. Easier to build distant colonies in the middle of nowhere, easier to do business to sustain them.

you guys made me want to watch this movie again

Everyone is reddit, according to Sup Forums

You seem to have missed the part where Ted makes the distinction between large scale and small scale technology. Small scale can be function perfectly well in a decentralised manner(for example the plough) while large scale technology for example, the automobile require a huge network of infrastructure to function. Yeah, sure he is unrealistic about a full return to hunter-gatherer community, 18th century tier agriculture seems much more realistic post-shtf.

youtube.com/watch?v=7VaA6_CDRyY

No, infact some reviewers have called it faschist.

But it's not really about politics really. Tyler's just sick of the modern world, but he's not offering any solution.

The point is he starts to break down at age 30 because he always did what he was told, and the last thing his dad told him was "I don't know, get married". When he knows how empty and shallow it would be (Wanna go back to the shit job, fuckin' condo world, watching sitcoms?)

His initial message was to fight back. Then, he encourages people to do want to do (convenience store guy to become a vet). Then he realizes what he wants to do; he hates the world and project mayhem is his way of hitting back at it.

He's trying to break the system, but he's not a commie retard.

Your point is invalid because the type of person that would make an anti-capitalist movie would argue that capitalism is not an even playing field.

Its a movie of bygone times where young successful, disenfranchised men felt unhappy with their yuppy life styles. Somehow being young, well off bachelor was suffering in the late 90s. The only relevant themes it touches on is perhaps the feminisation of contemporary men.

Just become Amish

stopping the jews debt collection is somehow anti-capitalist now

No, that would be Margin Call or There Will Be Blood.

i like they live
anti ((them))
they fear it

Going bacl to the original purpose of the thread:

-Robocop.

I know it's older than 20 years but I xan't think of a more anti-capitalist movie that that. Perhaps the Wolf of Wallstreet.

is about toxic masculinity
youtube.com/watch?v=Td88z08a_4c

so is it still a good movie despite the fedora audience?

this is so retarded on so many levels

It's an early clue that shows Tyler isn't real.

The guy bumps into both of them but only apologizes to Ed Norton.

Thank you. Tyler Durden starts to go on about the ideal male figure and how bullshit it is on the train, while he himself looks like that.
It's literally the narrator trying to convince himself he doesn't need to look amazing, while secretly still wishing he looked like a model.
Same idea with Tyler Durden going anti consumerist, going against the man, and being like everyone else in the rat race.
Then he starts a cult which everyone is shaven, dresses the same, talks the same, and does what he tells them to do.

Thank you, based user. I was thinking of checking this channel and 8 minutes into the video made me realize I should never watch such a cuck.

the fact that he hides likes/dislikes was the first tell that he's a huge faggot

someone who is clearly over 25 and understands the plot.

I saw this in person when it came out before most of you faggots could shit on a toliet. No one I know thought it was anti-capitalist.

>Ctrl+f "the other guys"
>0 results

Wrong.

youtu.be/3yBfWz2bSOQ

Out of curiosity I watched the entirety of it (I know). He fucking confesses he was called girly from childhood. It's funny 'cause at the same time I am reading Rodger diary. This dead-voice guy is just one step away from crazy shooter.

ITT: Reddit

Sup Forums.org/rules
1.You will not upload, post, discuss, request, or link to anything that violates local or United States law.
2.You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18.

>lel cos the director says so means its true

Don't get me wrong. Capitalism isn't an equal playing field but you can go from rags to riches. Tell me how somebody in the back of the train in snowpiercer can make their way to the front of the train through capitalism?

Instead violence is used to gain power and move up the ranks of the train. Much like feudalism, peasants revolt, a lord will tell its knights to sort it and if they fail they would have a new lord put in place. Now explain how capitalism fits this scenario faggot

great film. just ignore the fedora audience. I will admit it has it's 'edgy' moments but it's not out of place and fits the tone

>he still hasn't grown out of his "Fight Club is bad" phase
Sad!

I thought those were a myth!

t.reddit