Why do people think that it's a plothole by stating that Homeworld is losing resources yet gems are effectively...

Why do people think that it's a plothole by stating that Homeworld is losing resources yet gems are effectively immortal if they aren't shattered?

Lobsters are biologically immortal in that they never die by age. They die because other predators (like us) devour them or because they die due to outgrowing their shell and thus die from outgrowing their form.

Eventhough that semantic argument for immortality is far more flawed than say the fantasy version gems posses, point remains.

We aren't currently using them as nuclear fusion cells now are we?

Making new Gems probably uses up the minerals in the ground.

That or it's a lie they told Peridot so she'd think she didn't have powers of her own and would be less likely to rebel

The gems have shown no evidence that they can outgrow their form nor being prayed upon. If any of these are established then yes they have a reason to expand as much as they are

>lobsters are imortal exept they die when they get too big

Then they are not imortal, and even if they had predators as the only cause of their deathsthat still a big deal to a wild animal, super strong and inteligent aliens who won't die even if decapitated are a whole other thing

What proof do we have that the crystal gems are the only threat to homeworld?

they gems are probably expansionist by their very nature. The kindergartens are literally designed to look like giant metal viruses.

A virus 'wants' to spread to as many people as possible, and create as many copies of itself as possible (in the non-literal way that a piece of code can 'want' anything).

The question now is who's territory l are they expanding into that's taking up so many resources

I could see a couple scenarios here.

Maybe it's more of a whole society has become decadent and doesn't contribute anything toward progress kind of thing. Gem society has plateaued because of a combination between a rigid social structure and moving naturally toward obsolescence due to the ingrained beliefs supporting that structure. E.g. if regular gems discovered that there was something to life other than serving diamonds in some capacity and that they are stronger as a fused group then there might be progress after removing the aristocracy/plutocracy that seems to exist.

That or there's really a scarcity of mine-able planets withing the limits of travel for the Homeworld gems. Expansion costs and with locally available planetoids to harvest resources from. There's got to be more to resource plunder than just making more gems, especially if it's difficult to destroy them without understanding how a gem works. However this may allude to another enemy beyond the autocratic diamonds that threatens Homeworld, such as an intelligent species that can harm gems and resisted their colonization as well as their further expansion. Earth being a 'backwater' outpost failing to get the larger picture due to its distance from Homeworld.

what kind of race could fight the homeworld gems to a standstill

They are like the swarm: infect a planet, make warriors and workers, rinse and repeat. When too many colonies are made, create a new diamond to manage some of them and also create new ones. They can't help but want to expand. As long as a nation can expand, it will do well. That's why we critically need interstellar or at least interplanetary travel.

A race of buff dudes

>comparing them to lobsters

Show me a 10.000 years old lobster and I accept it as a valid comparasion

Jewelers obviously.

Metal Men led by the Platinum Powerhouse

Why Earth?

Why not harvest Mars or any of the other planets?

You mean Star Platinum.

Their leaders are called metalarchs

The gems already had a metal gem

It's the war against the Sneeple, obviously.

This show is trash and is made for gender confused humans.

I now want this to happen

Why don't we just build synthetic host shells for lobsters so they can never grow too big?

I want giant, immortal, synthetically enhanced lobsters.

>Why do people think that it's a plothole by stating that Homeworld is losing resources yet gems are effectively immortal if they aren't shattered?

I've literally never heard anyone say that until right now, so I'm not sure what kind of point you're trying to make.

>> using literaly like that
Tour a fat gender confused fuck. Into the garbage you go.

>lit·er·al·ly
>ˈlidərəlē,ˈlitrəlē/
>adverb

>- in a literal manner or sense; exactly.
>"the driver took it literally when asked to go straight across the traffic circle"

>informal
>- used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true.
>"I have received literally thousands of letters"

Wow, look at that. I used the informal form of "literally" in the correct manner. Nice try, though! Keep at it and I'm sure you'll get it eventually.

>The Gems have no predators.
That we know of.

The Gems are a naturally warfaring race, they populate by invading new planets and draining resources to create a limited number of new Gems. They need to be fighting the inhabitants and elements and If they get any trouble they are fucked. If 100 gems are cracked or shattered to set up a kindergarden that only generates 80 gems, they are fucked.

Think about how many gems they lost in the Crystal gem rebellion. Plus they have shown that unsatisfactory or unsavoury gems are shattered and/or forced into object servitude as a Gem-tool. Same for any defective productions are all disposed of and recycled or harvested.

And hell, we've seen that even a stumble can lead to a cracked gem, and without healing which ONLY RoseQuartz/Steven has, a cracked gem is a dead gem.

The less resources they have, the harder it is to expand. If homeworld is in a "Slump" it's harder for them to break out of it.

If by "informal form" you mean "the opposite of what the word actually means", and by "correct" you mean "meaningless", then sure. But then you're redefining words to the extent that they are virtually unusable.

Well, that's not really the point. If vampires existed, I would've used them as an example, but I'm just stating we haven't used lobsters as a source of energy simply because I haven't conflated infinite energy with near immortality. >not imortal
Their cells possess an enzyme that allows them to never shut off like aging cells in our bodies. Can still die from cancer as a result given cancer cells utilize telomerase. And even then we still haven't learned how to inject humans with that enzyme or extract lobster DNA and utilize it to at least reset our cells.

I firmly believe Homeworld cannot really benefit off the fact gems require no real resources to thrive given galactic war, kindergarden's needing specific conditions (namely a planet like earth), and have already tapped into a gem's physical potential through the cluster experiment. Fuel, infrastructure, and advancing tech might require resources for one thing. The fact that impure gems are "purged" is another.

Perhaps because of resources specifically found on Earth in abundance with a relatively stable environment compared to Mercury, Jupiter, or Mars.

I suspect that eventhough gems are tough, environmental conditions might destroy or corrode gems which may make certain planets bad options for colonizing. Since their only form of reproduction is through kindergardens.

They fight with swords and headbutt helmets.

I'm pretty sure modern military technology could send them packing.

>Lobsters are biologically immortal in that they never die by age
except that's been proven wrong.

Gems don't need biological resources, they need minerals to create new gem armies and to build their fancy bases.

They have an intergalactic empire and there are planets that will be tapped dry of resources to fund conquests and expansion on other worlds.

The real question is "why Earth?" instead of any of the other countless barren planets out there, but the answer is because we wouldn't have a show if it was business as usual for them.

Yeah, they don't seem to ever heal, that ruby in space seemed really amazed that healing a cracked gem can even happen.
Seems like if they get cracked they are just given up on.

I think that was just because an organic was going to gets its saliva on her I think homeworld would have some kind of method for healing cracked gems for ones that have use above what their standard abilities are

You want them to be giant, but not to grow too big? You would have to guesstimate how big the lobster will be when it last molts, because once a lobster gets too old it will stop molting (it takes a shitload of energy to do that). And then their old shells start cracking and allowing in bacteria, which kills them.

So you would have to make a synthetic shell that's a perfect fit before that happens, but that still wouldn't work because lobsters don't literally find new shells, they grow new ones.

Sorry. Your plan won't work.