What does it mean when people say a movie has good editing?

What does it mean when people say a movie has good editing?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gCKhktcbfQM
youtu.be/eTNLYNkjU9g
youtu.be/iZxNbAwY_rk
youtube.com/watch?v=3Q3eITC01Fg
imdb.com/name/nm0004555/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr14
youtube.com/watch?v=WcBpXLNmS3Q
youtube.com/watch?v=0TvsERn2qmQ
youtube.com/watch?v=IsMMMkHz2MU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

the grammar is good, good spelling, etc. onviously

this board is for the capeshit, netflix series and blockbusters crowd, who cares about editing lol

Someone post Liam Neeson jumping over fence

If there aren't 20 cuts in one 3 minute sequence.

Editing=Pacing for all intents and purposes.
For an example of fantastic editing, watch Goodfellas.

Do I know you?

youtube.com/watch?v=gCKhktcbfQM

when it flows

anything that isn't this

youtu.be/eTNLYNkjU9g

It should be more like this

youtu.be/iZxNbAwY_rk

usually they mean good pacing, but for me good editing is when editing on itself elevates the movie, like in Hot Fuzz or Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

youtube.com/watch?v=3Q3eITC01Fg
>inb4 "t. reddit"

t. every frame a reddit

His video on Jackie Chan has a good bit about editing as well and how cutting fight scenes in a certain way increases the impact for the viewer.

no

literally yes

Think of it this way OP.

>comedy show/movie
>camera is on character A
>character A makes a joke at the expense of character B
>at the apex of the punchline, cut to character B
>laughter

Think also of tension in action movies.

>character A is trying to dismantle a bomb
>frequent cuts to different angles create a sense of tension and franticness

It's hard to explain but I hope this helps

I died at this scene when I went to the cinema to see this, almost dropped my popcorn.

Watch Bob Fosse's Lenny(1974)
You'll love it

when a regular idiot says something like that you can guarantee it has some ebin tweest at the end

it means they're impressed by its jump cuts and lack of star swipes

Say there's a 15-second scene with a single stationary camera where a character is frantically packing their bags while glancing out the window because someone is after them. How you edit the scene affects the tone.

>cut the packing scene to a few seconds, then cut to them driving away
The packing scene serves to inform us that the character escaped and that's about it.
>show the whole packing scene, but use jump cuts to edit it down so that the character is only shown throwing drawers open, slamming their suitcase shut, and glancing out the window etc
We see that the character escapes and we get a sense for their urgency.
>show the whole packing scene with no cuts
We see the character pause to run to the window and we feel urgency AND tension because we (assuming we like the character) want them to hurry the fuck up and get out of there and we have to watch them open every drawer and struggle to shut their suitcase.

Any of these can be "bad" editing if they feel out of place. This is a pretty shallow example but hopefully it makes sense.

do you wonder why most modern action scenes feels so weightless and confusing, thats editing

I watched a great documentary on editing once but sadly cannot remember the name.

It had a guy who was editing a Philip Seymour Hoffman film, he worked in a room with no furniture in his house, it had a computer on a trolley and he worked all day standing up.

He walked you through the scene he was editing, taking footage from various segment and building a story around it.

He had a narrative of the what the scene was to be however he took various coverage and shots from all around what he was given to build this A to B into it's own narrative with a style and pace. He added one shot of PSH looking up at guys arriving on horses and it changed the entire structure of the scene, etc.

Really interesting.

Its "intensive purposes" retard

Here is the editor:

Walter Murch
imdb.com/name/nm0004555/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cr14

Here he is, talking about editing:

youtube.com/watch?v=WcBpXLNmS3Q

wait was this actually in a movie? i thought it was some joke youtube clip smashed together to look terrible on purpose

it's just guesswork. nobody can tell if it's good editing because nobodys seen the original version except the editor

This is the best editing.

youtube.com/watch?v=0TvsERn2qmQ

Dispute it, oh wait you can't.

Editing if how You lead characters and story through all cuts and scenes.

For example dialogue between 2 characters, closeup:
- when character A (or right side of screen) is facing left,
- next cut should show character B on left side of screen, facing right to character A.

For some reason people always think many short cuts is bad editing, but it isn't. If You get movie edited good, with tense and flow, even few short cuts build up to it. Take a look on this. "Mad Max Fury Road", quite recent prime example of great editing even with many short, quick cuts:
youtube.com/watch?v=IsMMMkHz2MU

There are people who loved it or hated it, mostly for plot and heroes but from editing point it is masterpiece.

Have you ever wondered how some long movies feel very short?

There you go

Friendly reminder your favourite movie has most likely been edited by a woman

what does it mean when a movie is well directed?

I remember reading a really interesting article about edigint, there was a concept that contrained the word "purple", but I don't know what it is. Does anyone know what "I'm referring to? It mentioned how Back to the Future was especially well edited, in terms of the number of shots and the length of time spent on each shot.