CIVIL WAR II Adds Extra Issue, Reason For Delays Revealed By BENDIS

>Following news that upcoming Civil War II issues are being delayed as much four weeks each, series writer Brian Michael Bendis has come out to explain the reasons - and also announce that the event series is expanding by one issue.

>"Well, if you peek over at David Marquez's Facebook you’ll discover that he and his amazing wife Tara just had a kick ass baby boy. A very cute baby too. And not all babies are cute at the start :)," Bendis posted on Tumblr. "Not a delay hell, or a conspiracy, just a new baby in the middle of the hardest issue to draw. the ending of four shows that five is a monster."

>Although Bendis doesn't state how much exactly that affected Marquez's output, he does say that the artist has been doing "about a page a day for the last couple weeks."

>And for Marvel's part, Bendis said they're confident in the team despite the delays to greenlight another issue - Civil War II #8.

>"I came up with a better ending but needed the pages," said Bendis. "Very grateful that they let us do our thing."

>Marvel pursued a similiar strategy with its last major event, Secret Wars. That series was expanded by one issue, despite significant delays, due to what the publisher said was revised plans by writer Jonathan Hickman.

>Marvel could not be reached for comment.

Other urls found in this thread:

newsarama.com/30627-civil-war-ii-adds-extra-issue-reason-for-delays-revealed-by-bendis.html
davidmarquez.com/products
twitter.com/Green__Diamonds/status/765246091889635328
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

BASED BENDIS, WANTING TO TORTURE US MORE
I'm buying it for the art, anyway.

newsarama.com/30627-civil-war-ii-adds-extra-issue-reason-for-delays-revealed-by-bendis.html

sauce

>Buying it
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU!?

read the story time, save your money and buy art from marquez instead davidmarquez.com/products

I was kidding, senpai. If Bendis was on comic that had all my favorites, I wouldn't buy it.
I love you, senpai. Every time I see people going "I'm buying it for the art XD", I think they should give money to artist directly. Commission character you like and support artist. Literally win win.

because it worked so well for secret wars

Oh good more decompression from bendis so we can have another issue where nothing happens

Civil War now ends 2 months after the relaunch that's supposed to spin out of it.

How are we supposed to care about these things when they always get delayed to the point where the ending gets ruined weeks before.

>Alonso: I know what I'll do, we'll make Civil War 2 to tie into the movie this spring! It'll be a surefire hit!
>Some Marvel Employee: Sir, wasn't the original Civil War a nightmare to schedule and plagued by delays that cascaded through tie-ins on other books?
>Alonso: Pshhh, that was under Quesada, I'm MUCH too smart to let THAT happen.
>Some Marvel Employee: O-okay...
>Alonso: Now somebody get me Bendis, we gotta have our best-selling writer on this project!
>Some Marvel Employee: *Internal Screaming*

odd back home if someone has a baby, he starts working more, not less because his wife just had a baby. America must be a strange place if husbands act strange, just because their wifes gave birth.

>"I came up with a better ending but needed the pages," said Bendis. "Very grateful that they let us do our thing."
So they're adjusting to the leaks and internet mockery of the event and Civil War is now going to end after the relaunch that it's supposed to trigger. BRAVO MARBEL.

I wonder, is Disney even caring about how awful they're at editorial work?

Oh good just like Secret Wars.
Seriously Marvel if you lack the skills to organise giant company wide crossovers maybe just don't do them?

Probably not. Comics are just IP farms for movies and television shows now.

>>"I came up with a better ending but needed the pages," said Bendis. "Very grateful that they let us do our thing."
How much do you wanna bet that the ending is STILL gonna suck?

>revised plans by writer Jonathan Hickman
Except we know that isn't the case, and it was because Ribic couldn't keep up. Hickman even pointed out certain pages that were supposed to be different but because they would have taken too long to draw, they had to be changed so Ribic could get them done faster.

America caters to nu-males and offers things like "paternity leave" and shit like that.

>horrible last minute delays because the writer decided to change the ending and the artist could keep up
It's Civil War I all over again!

more like corporate got wind we we're going to kill off Tony Stark and put a stop to it.

You mean like every other western country on the face of the earth? Naw man you're right, gotta be numales. Keep on kekkin'.

> supposed to care

On that note, could somebody do a recap for me who has read nothing about Civil War 2? Why is Captain Marvel on the cover and Cap behind her, is she Marvels Wonder Woman now?

>is she Marvels Wonder Woman now?
That's what Marvel desperately wants you to believe. Especially since she's getting her own movie. So she's super important now, you guys.

What was the ending supposed to be? Someone mentioned leaks?

>this is what SJWs actually believe

Not even a little bit.
I expect most Disney execs would be surprised to learn monthly paper comics are even still a thing

Reminder that everyone in the MU loves her. Even Ms. Marvel Kamala Khan is her biggest fan. Why don't you love her, Sup Forums? She's so amazing.

I don't think the ending as be leaked like the first issue was, but maybe they think Marvel Nower stuff has spoiled some stuff so they added some stuff with Marvel Nower that they need to add to the ending.

Isn't that what DC does for Superman and Wonder Woman? Everyone "loves" them.

Also Puck is great.

I see. Thank you.

>Isn't that what DC does for Superman and Wonder Woman? Everyone "loves" them.
Considering the former is the first big superhero and the latter is the first big female superhero it's pretty warranted.

>This meme

The leaks were only for the first issue. But based on the solicitations that were already released for the book and the epilogue issue that Spencer is writing (which I just realised must suck for him, writing an epilogue to a Bendis event just for Bendis to change the ending at the last minute and probably fuck over Spencer's Captain America plans in the proess):
>Ulysses has a vision of Miles killing Captain HYDRA
>this causes shit to get completely out of control leading to a big final battle between the two sides
>Ulysses has a final apocalyptic vision that causes the two sides to go "what the fuck are we doing" in the same vein as the end of Civil War I right as Carol and Tony are kicking the shit out of each other
>Tony and Carol agree that both their sides are fucked up and they need a neutral party to act as the middle-ground between the two of them
>Tony and Carol gives Ulysses over to Captain HYDRA since he's the only one both of them fully trust to only use his powers for good
>Tony gets disillusioned after having caused a second superhuman civil war, retires from being Iron Man, and makes a declaration of "Anyone that thinks they can do a better job then me is welcome to try" which is what leads to Doom becoming the new Iron Man

Having a kid is pretty legit reasons for delays.

>literally unable to bite at DC
baka

I'd screencap, but I don't know if it'll still go down that way now.

For the record, I had a similar prediction.

>Two iconic, nearly octogenary pioneer characters with hundreds of variations and thousand of stories are somehow comparable to marvel's pet strong female character.

Come on, user.

Yeah
desu They should probably just get a fill in artist
I don't think people would mind if the artist is good since Marquez has a reason to be slower and it's not just him just fucking around

Oh no, this Kate Beaton comic is totally invalidating what I said. How will I ever recover.

>Ulysses has a final apocalyptic vision that causes the two sides to go "what the fuck are we doing" in the same vein as the end of Civil War I right as Carol and Tony are kicking the shit out of each other
This is literally the ending to Twilight: Breaking Dawn

those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, is all I'm saying.

is the artist a woman? if not, it's not a good reason at all. My dad went to work straight after I was born, like everyone else does in my country and in most of America. And even a woman shouldn't stay out of work for more than 3/4 months.

>On the subject of Riri Williams: "Some people don't want to read a character like that, make of that what you will"

Why is this guy a terrible person user?

DESU I would buy this just for the art. Anyone agree?

It's ridiculous for publishers to worry about spoilers when Previews publishes details of every issue 3 months in advance

Secret wars was supposed to end in october and it ended in fucking Mid-January. The closest thing to an apology from Hickman was a mostly unfunny parody book in which he laughed at the faces of the fans and was like "Oops well it looks like we'll have a couple more months of delay, silly me lol".

>those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, is all I'm saying.
The fuck? Carol and Supes/Wondy's situation is completely different. Supes and Wondy have nearly 80 years of history. Superman is the first real superhero and is pretty a flagship character of the genre. Wonder Woman is the first really big female superhero and is a flagship character that has been taken up in real life as a symbol of female strength and empowerment. Both are generally portrayed in-universe as some of the strongest heros in the universe as well as having a generally kind demeanor. Carol is a drunk fuckup who got her memory wiped so we could ignore all that baggage. Everyone also thinks she's now totally amazing and can't wait to tell you about how amazing and inspiring she is every other comic.

Can we tweet this to Bendis to see what happens?

He already got butt-blasted, and rewrote the event after someone sent him our bingo card.

That's kind of an old fashioned attitude and not practical for everyone but yeah. I can't see a free lance artist wanting to be away from work for long especially with a bunch of extra expenses landing in his lap

She's like Tony Stark with none of the talents or positives. Btw where does her authority in the superhero community come from? She's not a living legend like cap, or a super-genius, or a founding member of the avengers. There must be an in universe explanation for her relevancy.

Remember that time Wonder Woman led the amazons to kill off a large portion of the US and set all of Kansas on FIRE? Wonder Woman has the least reason to be adored in-universe of anyone.

Captain Marvel at least hasn't done anything completely egregious like that in her history. She saved some people, lead the Uncanny Avengers for a good couple of years, they spent an entire storyline about how Carol saw an alternate universe where she was "Earth's Mightiest Hero" and has been actively striving towards that goal ever since.

Sure Wonder Woman breaks necks but she also has shown that she is a compassionate human being and is willing to give people the benefit of the doubt and help them when she sees that they are visibly in pain. Look at her latest issue with Cheetah who is one of her foes and how she tries to comfort her and help her in her situation instead of just punching her into submission.

Carol is the opposite of that, she goes in and punches people then asks questions later and she can even be awful towards her own friends yet everyone loves her after ahe became Captain Marvel and they don't acknowledge her faults (the latter is something characters do with WW) KSD even had Star-Lord think she was one of the greatest heroes in the Galaxy and every alien had heard of her as if she was the one who had all those space adventures and not Mar-Vell.

Just recently with CWII writers are having characters turn against her and that's only because Bendis needs conflict so at least there's that and iut of every person at Marvel he never had any problem making Carol the shitty person that she is.

I need to see proof of this.

You've never read her butting heads with Abigail Brand, other members of the Ultimates, or literally any comic she's in outside of KSD's run, I take it.

>Remember that time Wonder Woman led the amazons to kill off a large portion of the US and set all of Kansas on FIRE? Wonder Woman has the least reason to be adored in-universe of anyone.

>Citing Amazons Attack!
>getting information wrong about it

That's two strikes son.

Wonder Woman didn't lead the Amazons in that shitty event, it was Hippolyta and Duabs tried reasoning with her mother and the others and when she couldn't she turned against them, if anything Wonder girl and Supergirl where the ones who joined them (but then bailed out).

Even then Diana did suffer some consequences for that.

>Remember that time Wonder Woman led the amazons to kill off a large portion of the US and set all of Kansas on FIRE?
Remember when Carol got raped by her own child, impregnated by him and subsequently gave birth to him? Good times.

Already done m8

twitter.com/Green__Diamonds/status/765246091889635328

There isn't hard evidence, but I recall someone on Sup Forums announcing that they were going to send Bendis the bingo card.

A few days ago, Bendis made a tweet complaining about Sup Forums. Now a few day later, this happened.

All these things might just be coincidence, but it's a real big coincidence.

Brandt is a Fury type that hates everybody (that's not Beast at least), and Chavez is worst than Carol in that department but the Ultimates only started butting heads with her because of CWII.

You might as well bring up that Gwen Stacy banged Norman Osborn and that Batman peed himself in year one, since shitty, universally hated/forgotten stories are supposed to be solid evidence of how a character behaves normally.

Isn't shitty, universally hated/forgotten stories the bulk of Superman and Wonder Woman's "80 year history"?

Technically that shouldn't even matter as DC Rebooted the entire universe so none of those things ever happened, Supes and Wondy are now fresh-faced new heroes on the block! But hey everyone loves them because....! But it's not okay if people like Carol, oh god no! That's EVIL MARVEL PUSHING CHARACTERS.

Notice how this user doesn't address the mistake he made that got called out by and and quickly responded to instead

>A few days ago, Bendis made a tweet complaining about Sup Forums.

That tweet was from years ago. But it is very likely he goes here.

> Supes and Wondy are now fresh-faced new heroes on the block! But hey everyone loves them because....!

Because even after the reboot they've had years to establish themselves. Meanwhile Carol undergoes this weird identity change and suddenly everyone has always loved her even though that never used to be the case, since she was kind of an authoritarian asshole.

>Babies causes us to suffer more
I KNEW IT

BABIES ARE NO GOOD

AGE WAR NOW GAS THE BABIES

Carol went through storylines where she established herself ON SCREEN instead of off screen, which is what DC did. Go read Uncanny Avengers. This is the culmination of character work that they've been working on since House of M.

Rebirth is the literal opposite of a reboot. As in, "everything that has ever happened since the 30s is real within the ever growing, organic, dc universe". Stop pushing the casual "DC is always rebooting" meme.

I wasn't talking about Rebirth, I was talking about the New 52, which is STILL the universe they're using for DC comics now, isn't it? And the New 52 WAS a hard reboot. All the previous history got wiped out.

>This is the culmination of character work that they've been working on since House of M.

The Ms Marvel in House of M is not the same Ms Marvel. Remember that in-universe Carol's whole personality and look changed overnight and none of her friends or comrades thought this was weird or strange at all. In fact, suddenly everyone liked her way more than they used to. It all reads like some big mind-control/false world/false Ms Marvel plot. But it's not.

During Reed's run, it was a plot-point that Carol had hired a publicist to try and improve her public image and make her more popular. She was still an authoritarian asshole, but was actively working to make her public perception be better than she actually is.

CWII is the facade cracking and people seeing her for how she really is.

I mean, I didn't read KSD's run so I don't know how it was handled there, but coming off of Reed's run and her appearances in Avengers books throughout the mid-00s to early-10s, it makes sense that she would have developed some in-universe popularity, even if its undeserved.

Well, it was unbooted. Hell the idea of continuity ruling over in-universe reboots was introduced in Morrison's Animal man in the 80s. Basically the new 52 is a 5 years phase in the history of decades old characters.

>Even Ms. Marvel Kamala Khan is her biggest fan. Why don't you love her, Sup Forums? She's so amazing.

>Creates a new character that's Carol's biggest fan to give her a push
>New character is much more interesting, successful and beloved than Carol within months of first showing up
How do you even fuck up upwards?

While that's true KSD's run never actually addresses this. In fact, I don't think ANY Ms Marvel comic has referenced it since. It's a decent rationalization, but it's still effectively a dropped plot-point that we're using to justify such a bizarre shift in the character's reception and perception.

Also I really doubt this will have any sort of negative consequence for Carol. If it's brought up again you can be sure that anyone calling Carol on her shit will be framed as in the wrong for doing so.

DON'T REWARD THEM

This is the cover for the NOW 2.0 relaunch, so it looks like it'll be a bit of a plot point. Hopefully the new writer is good, because the current run is exactly what I've wanted from the character and if we go from the first good thing to be done with Carol in years to yet another bland, directionless mess like half the stuff she's been in then that'll be awful.

At least she'll still be good in the Ultimates.

What pages?

Let's admit it: at the end of the day, Carol is just another pretty blonde white female with generic energy powers and generic flying brick powers. Her origin and supporting cast is shit and nonexistent. Don't even get me talking about her personality, even after the large push given to her by Marvel over the last decade. She's a black hole. Before someone makes a WW comparison, she has more interesting stuff going on with her just based on her being a Greek fish-out-of-water Amazon. And also a hit 70s show.

Carol has everything working against her despite Marvel intending to have everything work for her. It's why her movie will need to literally recreate the character atom by atom. It's why this event is trying to do to her what CW did for Tony Stark in the last CW - raise her profile by any means necessary and give her a universe that is reacting strongly to her for her to bounce off of. Whether that be positive or negative reactions doesn't matter as long as Carol has opportunity to work with it.

Or basically, Marvel is going to try to do a Rocky Maivia -> The Rock situation with her.

>not 'gas the tykes'

Fuck you, that joke was hilarious.
Also, it's the only instance of shilling in the current run, and it would've worked about as well with practically any superhero.

In retrospect, this bingo should have included "Lots of delays".

Wouldn't a simple solution to this is too get a new artist

fucking christ i cant wait till marvel shaves her head, gives her a mastectomy, and crushes her hips to finally make her a man.

Remember that one page wear it's a full page spread of Reed and Doom overlayed in a grid pattern ontop of each other that ended up looking awful while there was just a bunch of narration of the fight they were doing going on overtop.

Yeah, that one. They said that Ribic was going to be redrawing some of the pages for the hardcover release in the same way that DC did for Final Crisis, but then that never ended up happening. Considering the finished issues of SHIELD 5 and 6 never came out either, I suspect Hickman leaving Marvel might have hurt relations.

that should be the free space desu.

but again, a kid is different from just over worked.

>they had to be changed so Ribic could get them done faster.
As if the shameless copypasting of panels and expressions wasn't enough.

White straight was hit by "Iron Woman".

>a bloo bloo bloo my long hair black swimsuit carol a bloo bloo bloo bloo

That had nothing to do with Civil War though.

Who gives a shit about that outfit? Just give her the one she had in the Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon. Or, hell, keep the outfit and the short haircut. Just stop making her look like a man.

>Well, if you peek over at David Marquez's Facebook you’ll discover that he and his amazing wife Tara just had a kick ass baby boy. A very cute baby too. And not all babies are cute at the start :),
Jesus, he writes how he speaks. How the fuck did this man get a writing job?

Yeah, I don't think there's anything wrong with her current look. A lot of artists just draw her looking like a dude half the time. She looks great over in Ultimates.

>There are still anons who legitimately think that there were beyond 4 months planning for this whole event
>B-but muh Secret Wars
>Extended so Hickman can wank Doom more, not change the fucking ending
>B-but muh Company Letters with Leaked Civil War II
>Just shows that Marvel's been planning to tie into the movie. Actual planning couldn't have even started until way waay later
>B-but muh baby
>Changing the fucking ending is fucking stupid.

I'm sorry but how the fuck is BENDIS allowed to just change the ending? Don't the fucking Marvel Now Relaunch have to rely on the event's ending to tell their beginning since it sprung off that event?

>Marquez just had a kick ass baby boy
>A baby?
>See he had a cute baby
>A baby? That's cute?
>and not all babies are cute

He was an artist. Did some books over at image. Went in to Marvel to try and get a job there after becoming friends with Quesada. Quesada said "Brian, your art sucks but I like some of your ideas, how about a writing gig?" And then the rest was history.

mockery aside, I'm glad they let people know what's going on and (sort of) apologize. I'll even refrain from mocking Bendis for once.

Here's hoping the new ending is Jessica Drew comforting Carol by having hot sweaty lesbo schnozzling

user, the exact same thing happened with Civil War I. CWI hit a shitton of delays that fucked everything up because Millar changed the ending halfway through.

Well CW2 is the only thing they have to compete with Rebirth should Rebirth continue to sell well so I don't blame them for adding an 8th issue