How would you go about adapting Dragon Ball?

How would you go about adapting Dragon Ball?

Sagas adapted? Cast? Director?

Other urls found in this thread:

imdb.com/title/tt1098327/
dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Origins_of_character_names
youtube.com/watch?v=0Nu0RhRUqIE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Trying to adapt dragonball would be a major mistake and would look terrible no matter how you put it

Do the Cell storyline

What the fuck is wrong with her hand?

Trilogy of movies. King Piccolo Saga, Saiyan Saga, Frieza Saga. Adding elements from other sagas to keep it consistent with the show.

Try to be as faithful to the anime as possible. Age Goku up to be a bit more relatable in the Piccolo Saga, but no highschool bullshit. Maybe make him 17 or 18.

Puppetry and effects from the Jim Henson Creature Shop. Think a more modern looking Dark Crystal in terms of visuals with brighter colors.

Really attempt to replicate the feeling of Dragon Ball in live action. Keep the setting and tone as close to the original as possible.

Title them:
Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z
Dragon Ball: The Frieza Saga

Maybe tease the cell saga at the end of the third movie as some fan service, but never follow up on it. I think a trilogy ending with Frieza would work the best structurally

I wouldn't. Some things just work better drawn out and serialized. Trying to squeeze any whole saga in a 2 hour movie? That would be an absolute shit show

>Staring with piccolo, not sayian saga

Do you hate money or something?

Shoddy android design

Both Frieza and Saiyan are definitely short enough to condense into a movie. Really what happens in the Saiyan saga beyond Gohan training, Goku on snake way, and the fight with Vegeta?

Goku was at least 16 when he thought King Piccolo and 19 when he fought him at the martial arts tournament anyway

can't be done and shouldn't be done

Look how Hollywood fucks up adaptations that are easy to do like Resident Evil. Adapting DBZ is a challenge.

I think you're forgetting that you have to establish everything to the point that people would care for the characters.

You could do the entire character introductions and the fight with raditz in the first half hour and still have plenty of build up for the actual climactic fight.

>Give them a budget.
>Get back the original director that did a damn good job.
>Tone back the "HEHE IM A DUMBASS" Goku to how he was during the anime and manga.
>3 part movie.
>Movie one, Sayjins.
>Movie two, Namek.
>Movie 3, Freeza.
>Improve upon everything, do not follow the panel after panel of the Manga and only use panels once in a blue moon that where memorable as fuck, like the beam cannon stand off.
>Cut dumb shit bulma down.
>Cut dumb shit ChiChi down.

Sayian saga is simply not structured well enough to jump right into. You can't build up Gokus relationships with characters because he's on snake way 60 percent of the arc. Not to mention introducing piccolo as the villian and having him turn would be much more satisfying than introducing him and explaining his backstory through exposition. Piccolo saga is where the "Z" part of Dragon Ball really starts to take form, and there is a reason for that. It's really unskippable as far as I'm concerned, unless you were to completely restructure the Saiyan saga

Not enough happens in Frieza to give it a whole movie. Blend the Namek Saga and Freeza into one and make the last movie Cell

Fuck off with DBZ.

Make a childrens movie trilogy, starting with original Dragonball.

If that's successful, make a DBZ series afterwards.

Why was Freezas race so strong ?
Why was Cooler perma form 4 as default and unlock form 5 ?
How come Freezas father Cold was in perma form 2 and never surpassed both of his sons ?
Why on Earth did they sell all the planets thei conquered to those mechanical cloak wearing space jews

You have to forget the anime and all the other bullshit. Series adaptation of Dragon Ball from beginning to end as faithful to the manga as you can get.

Friezas race kinda just took whatever form they were comfortable with it seemed. I don't blame king cool for sticking with form 2 when it looks so fucking dope

cooler isn't canon

And have it be satisfactory? Raditz drops a massive info dump and keep in mind you still have to explain who Goku is, Piccolo and establish the rest of the supporting cast.

>Blend the Namek Saga and Freeza into one and make the last movie Cell

I think when most people talk about the Freeza saga they mean everything that happens from when Gohan and Krillian get to Namek to it's explosion. I know that isn't technically correct but still.

fuck off

>Why was Freezas race so strong ?

Because they are. I don't need a better explanation than this

Planed trilogy:

>Dragon Ball

-Goku is a kid
-Introduce everyone
-No Yamcha, no Chi-chi (yet)
-Red Ribbon Army arc
-Lighearted feel, adventure atmosphere, emphasis on comedy

Directed by: Brad Bird or Edgar Wright on valium

>Dragon Ball Z

-Goku as a teenager
-King Piccolo arc
-Introduce Chi-chi here
-More mature tone, but still lighearted

Directed by: James Mangold or Cary Fukunaga

>Dragon Ball Z: Origins

-Raditz Saga
-Gohan
-First Super Saiyan transformation
-Introduce the origins of Goku with flashbacks
-Show the fate of Bardock
-Even more mature. Kinda edgy. Still a few quips

Directed by: Paul Greengrass, Gareth Evans or any korean guy

>Puppetry and effects from the Jim Henson Creature Shop

I'm liking this.

He's not. None of the movies are but Battle of Gods and that Freeza one. The Dead Zone is canon with the anime but not the manga

Director
Zach snyder.
Literally the only good movie he would make

Anything after buu saga is non-canon, broly is made canon

>-First Super Saiyan transformation

NO

It should be 5 films from kid Goku to Freeza. The first scene of the first film should be Bardock's final stand against Freeza and Vegeta being destroyed. You make Freeza a looming threat over the whole franchise and the Super Saiyan transformation actually means something like it did in the Manga

>planning 5 films for an anime adaptation

shiggy

Planning 1 is a fools errand. Honestly I don't think it would work but I think this is best shot instead of trying to cram everything in

A To Catch A Predator with grandpa Son Gohan as the predator and AndroidUnder18 and Kid Boo as the jailbait, the tournament announcer as Hansen.

just let it be anime

make it hardcore and not for kids, shit came out in the fucking 80s people who love dragonball are men now

or at least manchildren because of the inevitable reply

spinoff*
If it has to be live action- get a young Leelee Sobyeski and any old kid with a slicked back dildo attached to the forehead, dunked in bubblegum pink; Gramps with be J.K. Simmons with appropriate facial hair; and Announcer would be Ryan Goosling.

>film starts with recap of tournament

Would honestly be enough

>massive info dump

"you're an alien, we're pretty strong, we have tails"

"some more aliens are gonna come kill you for your magic wish balls in a year, bye"

I think you're severely overestimating how much actual content there is in DB.

Why are gorillas stronger than ants?

>The Dead Zone is canon with the anime but not the manga
So it's not canon. Anime differs from manga in a lot of ways.

Toriyama's canon is only the manga. Adaptation is a separate entity.

Say hello to your Demon King Piccolo

>broly is made canon
He isn't. Kale is canon. Broly isn't.

Coen brothers comedy.

It's the only way... Given that it's already been done. (Or are we pretending imdb.com/title/tt1098327/ didn't happen?)

"DBZ: A Coen Brothers Film"

Goku - Simon Pegg
Krillin - Kate Ashfield
Yamcha - Nick Frost
Bulma - Lucy Davis
Vegeta - Lanipator from TFS
Frieza - Danny Devito

Dragonball Z

>Saiyan saga part 1
>Introduce the characters
>some flashbacks to show rivalry between piccolo and Goku
>Main bad guy is Radditz
>Movie ends with Goku sacrificing himself to kill Radditz;
>After credits: Tease Nappa & Vegeta, Goku on road to King Kai

You'll probably have to add some more backstory to Radditz because there's not enough depth there to make him a decent villain.

Dragonball Z 2

>Saiyan Saga part 2
>DBZ gang vs Vegeta & Nappa
>Goku training at king kai, arriving just in time to save everyone
>Teaser: Frieza is actually the one holding the strings of the saiyans

Dragonball Z 3

>Frieza Saga

Dragonball Z 4

>Cell Saga

Director: someone talented enough to pull this off, not a random guy picked up by studio execs who want to control everything.

Cast:

>memelord as Goku
>Jason Momoa as Radditz
>Dwayne Johnson or Jason Statham as Nappa
>Tom Hardy as Vegeta,
>Jeremy Irons as master Roshi.

what the actual fuck

this scene gave me a femdom fetish, thanks nips!

She's also stronger than Goku :^)

I feel like the two Saiyan sagas could be one movie, both "sagas" are just the Saiyans standing around waiting for heroes to fight them which wouldn't be that long sequences in a live action movie without any other characters or traveling involved like in the Frieza or Cell sagas

>Kale is canon.
This begs the question. Is Broccoli cannon?

Vegeta... Hey... Wait a sec... Saiyan is a play on the Japanese word for vegetable... And, indeed, it seems that about half the character's names are plays of various words for various vegetables...

Is this whole show just some strange ploy to get kids to eat their vegetables? Is this the Japanese equivalent of Popeye?

Stretching the Saiyan saga over 2 movies would be rediculous. Radditz is only ever in one location the whole saga. You would need to add a rediculous amount of original content to make him even resemble a main villain

awful franchise desu

They're all named after food, clothes, musical instruments etc. dragonball.wikia.com/wiki/Origins_of_character_names

But wouldn't it be extremely weird to have your protagonist die in the first 15 minutes of your film?

Don't worry user there's these convenient magic balls with no set up we can use. You're not asking to much of your audience with this at all.

fpbp. 99% of anime could never be properly transitioned to live action. DB/DBZ in particular has all those lightning fast fight scenes that would simply look ridiculous because you'd have to CGI it all to shit and it would look like a video game. Just look at Man of Steel. A live action Dragonball movie would bring children and sad adults to the theaters but it would ultimately be stupid as shit and you couldn't take it seriously.

But if I HAD to, I'd adapt early season 7 where Gohan is going to high school. It would pretty much be Smallville. Gohan is Clark Kent trying to keep his powers a secret and Videl would be Lois Lane (I guess?) trying to figure out who the gold fighter and the great saiyaman are. Throw in a romance subplot between Gohan and Videl of course. It wouldn't have tons of fighting because DBZ has so much of that in other seasons it would just get boring. The only problem is I don't know who the main villain would be since there really isn't one in the "gohan in high school" arc.

That's why the Piccolo saga needs to come first. These anons saying it should jump straight to Saiyan are rediculous. Piccolo saga already sets up the characters and themes perfectly in the show, there is no reason it shouldn't do the same in a movie series.

It shows
>Piccolos origins
>Gokus power
>An effective use of the dragonballs, the thing the whole series is based around
>Every major character getting something to do, even Chiaoutsu

Not to mention it's incredibly self contained. In the event that it doesn't make enough money to warrant sequels, it still has an excellent climax and satisfying ending with Goku blasting through Piccolo.

It's a perfect way to set up the universe and assure everyone is caught up with the characters for Saiyan and Frieza

>A live action Dragonball movie would bring children and sad adults to the theaters

And? Dragon Ball is for kids anyway

youtube.com/watch?v=0Nu0RhRUqIE

except that..you know...Goku is a child here.

>Why was Freezas race so strong ?
They weren't. Frieza and King Cold were the only strong ones of their race and they're both mutants.
>Why was Cooler perma form 4 as default and unlock form 5 ?
Cooler isn't canon so I don't really care.
>How come Freezas father Cold was in perma form 2
We don't know if he was in his second form. For all we know he was in his first form.
>never surpassed both of his sons
It's a fact that King Cold was stronger than Frieza. Frieza states this.
>Why on Earth did they sell all the planets thei conquered to those mechanical cloak wearing space jews
Sorry, who?

t. Sup Forumsfag

No reason they couldn't age him up to 17 or 18 like said

She got one hit by a Ki Blast and fainted, it's okay, she's weak.

Live action? Wouldn't do it in a million years.

It would probably actually be better than leaving it until the end, it would let the audience know right up front that this is a really weird universe where people can be wished back to life by collecting magic balls to summon a dragon god rather than just another capeshit universe where characters dramatically die at the end and then come back for the next story which everyone is used to and thinks is lame to try and trick you like that *cough*BvS*cough*.

The way I'd pace a Saiyan saga movie is the Radditz fight really is in the first 15 minutes with very little set-up other than 1 scene of Goku's homelife and a discussion with Piccolo about their past. The normie audience are left reeling from this crazy action just thrown in their face and during the period where the other characters are training and Goku's in the afterlife that's when we get into the back stories and explain the rules of the universe. That way the normies don't get too bored with having ki explained to them because they know they are going to get even more hella epic action scenes when all this is building up to two even stronger Saiyans coming for the second half of the movie.

Being this autistic about a franchise where not even the creator remembers/gives a fuck about is extremely sad.

Fucking hell

>Is Broccoli cannon?
in Dragonball TNG he is

And that's a reasonable excuse to make a shitty movie?

I have good memory. It's not my fault i'm not a retard with a short attention span like you.

Not him but that's not even autistic. Anyone who casually watched the show could tell you that. Though I didn't know Freeza was a mutant

I'd do the saiyan arc and make it like Man of Steel.

It's basically the same story. Goku is Superman. The Saiyans are Kryptonians. They fly around punching each other and shoot laser beams at each other. Just move the fight to Nevada and move the lasers from eyes to hands.

>Why was Cooler perma form 4 as default and unlock form 5 ?
IIRC Freiza had weaker forms to reserve his power. Cooler didn't need that, and his unlock form of 5 was him being stronger than his brother in general.

Is Spongebob too OP?

Who will play him in the inevitable live action adaptation?

Hollywood movie about the Saiyan Saga, then a Namek sequel. Casting would be:

Chris Pratt as Goku
Tom Hardy as Piccolo
Finn Wolfhard as Gohan
Patrick Stewart as Kami

and we gotta fill diversity quotas so we'll have Kevin Hart as Krillin and Terry Cruz as Nappa

Can\t think of a good Vegeta though

Was Freeza a mutant? I know Ginyu was.
Suppose it makes sense for Freeza to be a mutant. Or genetically engineered to be strong and survive in space or something.

lol you clearly have never sat through a saga of DBZ literally 50% of the show is just them staring at eachother growling trying to draw out as much episodes as possible

Ginyu was a mutant? I didn't know that.

Anyways, yes. Frieza and King Cold are both mutants stated by Toryiama in an interview (The Author of DBZ). He also says that King Cold was the only one involved in the birth of Frieza so it's acceptable to believe they're asexual, similar to namekians.

>How come Freezas father Cold was in perma form 2 and never surpassed both of his sons ?
They didn't think strength could change. They thought it was determined from birth.

Freeza's weaker forms are actually limiters that he developed to reduce his power for convenience. So he doesn't accidentally blow up planets in his sleep like Beerus or whatever.
Cold was always weaker than Freeza so he didn't need as many limiters.

I wouldn't

>good Vegeta
An angry manlet who acts tough.
Get Shia Lebeouf or someone.

>weak
She tanked a SSB Kamehameha without flinching kek.

>got one hit
She was distracted.
Goku got one hit by a fucking laser rifle too.

Not even memeing I'd have Snyder do it.

just do a mini-series produced by HBO. DBZ already has enough strong female leads and feminist bullshit in it to pander to the execs. Forget the gay Freiza bullshit and go straight to Cell. Make him a spoopy 2deep4u killer that actuall fucks up most of the cast and kills of Goku (for good) just like Ned in Game of Thrones Season 1.

Kale existing in the sister universe implies that Broly is Canon. Not his movie, but him as a character anyway.

How so? First off, Broly isn't canon because the movies were not written/directed by Toriyama.

Second, you would think Goku would mention Broly as soon as he saw Kale's transformation no?

>Second, you would think Goku would mention Broly as soon as he saw Kale's transformation no?
read my post again.

Not really. They just canonized the "legendary" transformation.

Even so, see

Because Sister universes share basically everything between them in some fashion. Cauli is goku of her universe, and Cabba is Vegeta. Champa and Beerus are the alt universe versions of each other as well and so are their angel assistants.
>inb4 hit
time stopper powers is not a new concept to DBZ.

That was always the case. the "legendary super saiyan" was always a thing.

No, the only people who are straight up counterparts are Frost and Frieza.

Champa and Beerus are twins. Whis and Vados are siblings. They are not alts.

You are very misinformed.

Westernize the fuck out of it.
Goku will be the only white male, Vegeta will be Idris Elba, Chichi will be that no talent black cunt from the new Thor movie - Tessa Thompson.

Goku lives out on a farm somewhere with his son Gohan and can't pay the bills. Showing the struggles of a family man. He wants to enter a tournament but all of a sudden Raditz shows up and blows up his appartment.
Gohan is kidnapped and taken to the hood. Queue montage of Raditz beating up some gangstahs. Will tell more if people desire me to.

>literally 50% of the show is just them staring at eachother growling trying to draw out as much episodes as possible

Nice meme

And this somehow changes anything about sister universes?

>Forget the gay Freiza bullshit and go straight to Cell

Except Freeza is far better than Cell so why would you skip that?

I'm seeing Clive Warren and Rebecca de Morne

So first off you can't start with Dragonball.

The West doesn't like Dragonball for obvious reasons.

Secondly, you can't just start with Z normally as you'll have all these characters and abilities that are unexplained. Therefore you have the movie be an 1:45 version of the History of Trunks. The movie starts with a reference to of Return of F but with SSJ1 Goku ITing to Earth to be him. The movie ends with Trunks killing Frieza in the "Past".

Through Gohan's training of Trunks you tease some of the more popular characters and you explain Chi and Super Saiyan. The bait and switch ARC is that Gohan has plateaued in power and he's only as strong as 17. So he'll train Trunks to become a SS to help. The back story being Bulma is building a "machine" which true ability not revealed till the last act.

The bait and switch occurs right before the third act where Gohan is killed and Trunks turns SS.

Main scenes in the movie:

Mecha Frieza vs SS Goku
Gohan turning SS for the first time after the androids kill Piccolo
Gohan vs Androids first time
Gohan losing his Arm
Gohan dying
Trunks fighting androids
Trunks going to the past
Trunks Fighting Frieza

But to spruce things up I'd add in Future Hercule and Future Videl. Expand on the universe a bit? Is mostly everyone dead? Or are massive swaths of the planet still alive but just hiding and avoiding the androids. Have Hercule,Videl,etc as human characters to show how people have been living in a post android world.

Second Movie would be Androids with it ending in Cell's arrival.

Third would be Cell ending in Trunks defeating Cell in his timeline.

Yes. I don't see how you're comparing Cauli to Goku/Cabba to Vegeta. It's a dumb comparison.
The only thing they share as far as we can tell are the same races.

Everything else you stated are just weird assumptions.