quickposes.com/pages/timed
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
youtube.com/watch?v=yfl6Lu3xQW0
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
youtube.com/watch?v=4j-Lz0D5_ck
youtube.com/watch?v=pMC0Cx3Uk84
youtube.com/watch?v=5mxQxWdLo9Y
youtube.com/watch?v=-uFQ25_LOPQ
buddy-comics.tumblr.com
knockdownbitches.tumblr.com/post/149009073717/061-in-which-rose-is-very-apathetic-when-dealing
youtube.com/watch?v=ycfdfinG_P8
youtube.com/watch?v=hXDNGS9V4Us
youtube.com/watch?v=m4DyTjrruVo
youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
youtube.com/watch?v=JLUjMWRCzic
fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Here’s a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
myscriptfont.com/

>*-Don’t forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
artists.pixelovely.com/practice-tools/figure-drawing/
quickposes.com/pages/timed

>*-What’s a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme:tumblr.com/theme/39018
Do’s and Don’ts for starting a site:pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV (embed)

>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on,
Ask for an invite in the thread.

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=yfl6Lu3xQW0

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=4j-Lz0D5_ck

Hi /HYWC/! You been brushing up on your fundamentals?

kinda! but not as much as I should be

I meant to, but I've been playing too much vidya

hey me too! high five

Yes, always.

That reminds me I should really stop procrastinating and do some more facial features practice.

Productivity is for chumps!

eh right now I need a rest, gotta inspire and recharge my brain. my next page is going to be awful if i push ahead with the barebones idea i have now

Okay, honest opinions.
Clip studio or Sai. Which do you recommend?

manga studio 5

clip/mangastudio by far. it's just the best one.

im drawing boxes, it is helping me a bunch to get exactly the poses i want but i still need to practice more and after that i'll probably end up redrawing the pages that i have already posted

Sai is a lot easier to learn, but is very bare-bones. Clip Studio has tools for panels, text, gradients, screentones, and lets you work in CMYK, which is important if you want to print in the future. Personally, I work in Sai because I'm more used to it, but Clip Studio is much more versatile.

CSP has more in terms of photo manipulation and good stock brushes and those 3D drawing dolls if you're bad but it costs money.
SAI is free and you can just go scour the internet for brushes, but it lacks in photo manipulation. It's a little bit more easy to fully understand than CSP but CSP is really easy to fully grasp, so there's not a big problem in that department.

Get CSP since it's more versatile and has a text tool unlike sai.

as far as fundamentals go, I need to find more reference and do more npc character designing

I need to just fucking include more NPCs. it's a lot better to give exposition a bit at a time

Posted this late last thread.

serious question:

How do I create a waifu?

>Sexy in some way, shape, or form. If they are sexy in a niche way they are still applicable for waifu-status.
>Somewhat appealing personality.
>Cute
>Cute!
>CUTE!!

its hard to get out of the mindset that the main characters have to do everything, so much exposition and such can be easily done with npcs

Can both demure and dominant be made to work?

She needs a name, all she does is sit around and have an unhealthy obsession with occult/supernatural stuff.

I was thinking Debra, only because I got an idea to make the name of the comic Debra of the Dead, but that seems a little generic.

this. so much this. It doesn't help that I have too damn many main characters. That will be remedied next time

just as long as someone makes a 'de-bra' pun.
though honestly if that's your reason, Dawn would work better. Though it would also then become ungooglable.
She looks damn cute anyway. Is she really the titular character if all she does is sit around?
I can't imagine how, but try!

Finished this page!

Raven's Dojo has inspired me to make more detailed backgrounds.

Well, I was exaggerating with "sitting around". It's about her going around doing a bunch of paranormal things, like ghost hunting or trying to summon demons. actual paranormal things usually happen
I like the name Dawn, but you're right, it would be hard to google. Maybe I'd be able to think of another title or something. I'll keep it in mind, thank you!

also
>de-bra
That's lewd!

are you ok with other people naming your characters?i think it would be better if you use the name you already have

i usually go for puns or rhymes when i name my characters,
i don't know she reminds me of ashely from warioware

i don't know how about Dee Dee

so she is Dee Dee dead or Dee Dee death

I'm not completely fine with other people naming my characters, but it helps to get suggestions and ideas from others.

I got reminded of Ashley from WarioWare a little bit as well, I think it's the big hair.

like i dunno call it "dawn of the alive"
yellow blood. crazy.
glad you're putting more effort into those b-grounds, now how's about we teach you some techniques so they look less wobbly eh?

hey dewd how do you hold your pencil when you draw on paper?

sometimes i can't draw anything on tablet unless i scan it first, because in the tablet i can't use my entire arm to get lines right like i do on paper

maybe you could take a look at this videos
youtube.com/watch?v=pMC0Cx3Uk84

youtube.com/watch?v=5mxQxWdLo9Y

youtube.com/watch?v=-uFQ25_LOPQ

try using the tips in them to just draw any of your characters on paper and then take a picture

learning to draw and use the boxes can also help with getting perspective in backgrounds somewhat right or at least close enough so no one notices the mistakes

I'll try this out tomorrow because I am pooped from drawing today.

So I've started making my webcomic, but right now I've only got sketches. I'm figuring out software like sai, but I'm struggling to get my sketches translated into colored panels without it looking like a pixelated mess. Could anyone give me some advice or point me in the right direction?

Also this is my first time around here, so I'm not sure what's kosher for these threads.

it's hard to tell exactly what your problem is, but the steps are basically "draw digital lines on top of your pencil lines, delete pencil lines, start coloring either using fill bucket or coloring 'under' the lines using layers"
You might want to change your drawing tool and its characteristics, its anti-aliasing or lack thereof, until it's where you want it (anti-aliased lines can't use fillbucket though unless you're really clever and careful with the tolerance settings)

Maybe show us what you have?

and fuck thread kashrut, we have people hucking pig corpses at us all day long

Sorry, I'm a little confused about what you're trying to do. You have a sketch, and you're trying to fit it into a panel? And the panel is colored, in what way?
From what I'm getting at, your sketch is much smaller than the panel and you're stretching it larger to fit. If it's just a sketch, than it should be okay because then you can make a layer on top of the newly stretched/larger sketch and start your lineart.

Alright that's very helpful actually. I wasn't sure what aspects of the tools I should be messing with.

What software are you using, first off? Also, maybe show some of your progress on colored panels.

yeah learning the different tool aspects takes a lot of study, they all have unintuitive names.

this is my latest page
i need to work on this more

Actually I think I solved the problem, I just need to use more layers for colors and up the pixel count. I've been switching between sai and gimp trying to figure out which one I like better. I'm open to suggestions for other programs if there's one you think I should check out.

Yeah canvas size is important. A small drawing looks okay in pencil because it's just naturally anti-aliased but ink is binary and you wanna grow that sucker first then shrink it afterwards.
clipstudio is still the best, but use what you like

From the description you gave, it sounds like you're using the fill bucket or magic wand tools to color? For rough, pencil lineart like that you could try setting the lineart layer to multiply, then drawing on a layer underneath. This will take you longer than just bucket filling, but it should get it colored.

Alright cool. Thanks for the help.

boomp

a word of advice to all newbie comics makers- draw your stuff at a larger size than it will finally appear. all newspaper comics are made at larger sizes, usually like three times the size its printed at.

if you eventually want to print your digital stuff, you need to be making things at at least 300 dpi, which is standard printing resolution. printing also will need white space around the image for the gutters and stuff, but that's something you should worry about when it becomes an actual possiblity. I would advise drawing at least double your final size and just export your final image at the size you want it at.

Also standard printing is in CMYK, not RGB, so keep that in mind before you print stuff

good-ass advice. it's been brought up before but it's worth repeating
and in case the dpi thing is too confusing, just try to make at least one dimension of your comic somewhere in the 2800-3000 pixel range or higher, and when you shrink it down for readability, try not to go any wider than 1000px. shrinking makes lines look nicer anyway, it's all the benefits of anti-aliasing and none of the drawbacks.

and yeah printing is in CMYK so you might find your shit looks really different printed, but honestly WORKING in cmyk is a pain because it limits you so hard. there's no bright neon colors there, if you wanna color some awesome blue lightning like A Better Place and shit, that is not supported

I've been able to actually get shit scanned and finished ever since I found out Kinko's were still a thing

is this yours? i love meta shit

Yep! I got the inspiration after trying to think of a new idea for a comic

Why Kinko's, no scanner or are you working on A3 sized paper? Either way, it looks pretty good. I realize it's part of the joke, but the paneling is pretty interesting despite the guy just sitting at a desk the whole time.

It's one the first page eternally cause I haven't started

New Abnor!

I love this gag so much. and I also love that in the end Sanaa is the one who gives their position away, so she's not totally perfect either.
I think in the 3rd panel you left off the e in stealth time. though Stealth Tim would be a cool character.

I have a site I upload my comics on, but it's tumblr
Is it okay to share that or will I be shit on for it?

we don't care where it's hosted
how the hell did he get a pepi, did he have it in his space car?

Yeah, he's always got soda in his ship. He treats it like a mobile home.

Of course, Buddy does have a real home, he's not a bum.

also here's my tumblr where I upload these in order and reblog some things

buddy-comics.tumblr.com

oof. can't say i know that feel, but that's gotta be embarrassing

knockdownbitches.tumblr.com/post/149009073717/061-in-which-rose-is-very-apathetic-when-dealing
Just when I build a decent buffer for the first time in my life I realize I forgot to add any jokes to like 3 pages in a row. I'm a fucking genius.

I've finally found a way to print in a light blue that actually looks like it, so I'm starting to sketching my pages a lot over printed first frames before the final inking. Drawing without reference is a pain in the ass, but I never find the pose I'm looking for.

Luckily, I can always fix some mistakes when I work my pages digitally, when I give them colour.

i can already see how the references are helping.
why do you need to use a printer though? seems like an unnecessary middle step

*pop* something...

I would probably do well without printing the whole thing more than once when I want to sketch digitally some portions of the drawing, like perspectives beforehand. I can do it without printing at all most of the cases, actually. But in times likes this one, in which I don't have a reference to look at, and I've to build the picture from scratch, it really helps me to print the picture more than once: first I have the bones of my picture in graphite over a mess of coloured pencil (naked bodies, simple background, etc); then I can print that in whatever the colour I like (light blue, bright green, cyan, etc) and draw the actual scene, with more detail; and I'll reprint that picture in bright colour again for the final drawing / inking. I would like to skip that last step, but I cannot erase the graphite without dirtying the blue ink. And I cannot digitally filter the blue very well if it's not a bright, clean colour.

Because I'm not a pro, I make a lot of mistakes. I wish I could draw better without making so many mistakes, and without messing my sketches so much. But... this is how it is.

At least I'm recycling sheets of paper.

>most of the cases, actually
I correct myself. Half the time, more so.

Personality with at least one pronounced quirk or personality or style that people can fixate on.

Attractive, but not polished, so they're approachable. Leans more towards cute than sexy.

Drew Angel in Serenas clothes.

Mainly for one of the transitions for the West Tree Gag Show (Animated stuff)

serena from what? not ringin a bell

Pokemon, sorry for not making that clear.

It's gonna be a whole episode where the gang plays pokemon go.

Hiya. Any tips on how to draw less jagged lines? I can get the lines to go where I want them to but when you look closely, they're all wonky and bad looking. I'm using a cintiq 22 and photoshop CS4. Is photoshop just not that good of a drawing program, or am I just shitty and need practice?

Serena from the Pokemon anime.

cmon guys you can't just give haruka a haircut and a massive breast reduction (well, another one) and call it a new character

as long as they look good zoomed out, that's what matters. Nobody can see any 'jaggedness' in this drawing except for the outer edge of her left leg, our right, at the sock level.
in general, you get smoother lines by making more confident strokes. >is photoshop just not that good
actually no, depending on how strong your computer is and shit, you have to zoom in more to get better lines from PS. or use a stabilizer like lazynezumi

alternatively you could turn anti-aliasing on but that opens up a ubnch of new problems. and actually, looking at the weird halo effects on this, I'm wondering if you already did. anyone else see white edges around the lines?

What you're seeing is actually something else. I did the colors on a separate layer, added a gaussian blur, and then displaced the color layer down and to the right. That's why those white lines only appear on the left side.

okay that's what I thought. it didn't look like the artifacts from trying to fillbucket antialiased lines.

so the question then becomes: why would you do that?

I hate color and I'm not good at it so I tried something different and it failed. But I'm going to keep it that way so I can remember that I failed and learn from it.

ah, experiments! Well alright man, you have fun. Photoshop has a ton of weird and neat things you can do. If you ever have a specific effect in mind, one of us probably knows how to do it (here's a free one on me, you know how old cartoons or anime used to have like, a glowing overlay effect for laser beams or beam swords or whatever? you can do that by putting a bright colored shape on a 'linear dodge' layer. multiplying that later can help if it's not showing up very well (it depends on the color)

while i'm at it, for more lightsabery kinda shit, make a pure white shape, duplicate that layer, then on the underneath-layer change the white to a color and then hit it with gaussian blur. the colored blur halo behind the white shape makes it look perfect.

this kooks nice in a newspaperstrip, but i'd say you need a bit more practice desu.

*looks

now wait a minute i was sure i keyed in desu(DESU) but that came out wrong

To Be Honest suddenly becomes desu

yeah it's a thing they started doing a few months (?) back. along with two legitimately annoying things that SHOULD be replaced. no idea why this common and legit acronym got lumped in with them

was that when moot sold Sup Forums to some japanese guy?

wait, 2 others? i only knew about desu and senpai, whats the third one?

A boy falls in love with a girl.

Unable to confess, he is gifted by a deus ex machina with the girl's phone number. Never minding the strange area code, he immediately calls her, and is overjoyed to find out that she has a crush on him as well.

But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day's confessions to the girl, she only looks at him with a perplexed expression. After some investigation, he finds out that the girl he called is not the same girl he fell in love with. In fact, she doesn't exist in this universe at all. She is the girl's alternate universe counterpart, who has fallen in love with the MC's own AU self, who too is blissfully unaware of her crush.

Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private secrets in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer the heart of their other selves. While the two chase their respective loved ones, DRAMA ensues as they begin to fall in love with each other instead and question the NATURE of LOVE.

OP: youtube.com/watch?v=ycfdfinG_P8
ED1: youtube.com/watch?v=hXDNGS9V4Us
ED2: youtube.com/watch?v=m4DyTjrruVo
PV: youtube.com/watch?v=JcVGDV67L-g
EP 1: youtube.com/watch?v=o_rz1bluG_k
EP 13: youtube.com/watch?v=JLUjMWRCzic

i knew this one from a previous tread. nice

c.uck to kek
though i think that may have been rescinded because i sure as hell see cuck all the time. I guess i'll see what this post turns into.

Already a thing.

fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/Keit-AI-Tomoyuki-x-Seiko-Keit愛-奉文-x-聖子

that's hardly a paradox
the obvious answer is that he'd make sure that both versions of her end up with someone to make them happy, because he really ca-
why the fuck am i treating this seriously

in your honest opinion, how bad would it be if your racist pedophile Sup Forums persona is linked to your professional tumblr account. Would it be impossible to ever go professional?

>he'd make sure that both versions of her end up with someone to make them happy,

But he's in love with the version that's actually out of reach.

Thanks, user. The "e" is missing because Sanaa is supposed to be interrupting Tadeu with her scream... but I have to admit I always read it as Stealth Tim the first time

Every fucking thread.

>having such a Sup Forums persona
You flew too close to the sun and forgot the value of anonymity in making a "persona" out of it, let alone attaching it to a registered account.

everyone LIKES keit-ai, that's why the trolling works.

how can I create an art account thats not associated with my true self at all? Is it possible?

>everyone LIKES keit-ai

Except Sup Forums mods, ironically enough.

>Haven't shown recent work in a long time because I'm afraid my art isn't good enough
What do I do, /hyw/?

Just don't post any art in common between the two, especially if you post under a name. Obviously don't use the same name for both. An uncommon art style might give you away. Other than that, sure, it's possible. I separated my porn and regular art accounts pretty neatly a while ago, I just eventually gave up on separating them for Sup Forums because I realized nobody on Sup Forums really cared. I wouldn't link the two on Tumblr just because I have relatives who follow my main account.

Show us your art! It probably isn't up to par, but getting it out there is more important. One of us might even have helpful advice.