Steven Univerrrrrs

This show takes it's self waaay too seriously.

I try to enjoy it but it feels like it's got its head so far up it's ass and the kid has the most annoying mono-pitch voice and he just yells and wines the whole time!

What do people find so appealing about it?

Interesting, fleshed-out characters.

Did you draw those out of a hat?
Because nobody ever claimed that about SU and I've seen dozens of people bitching about it.

Also why do some characters have double chins and little pencil mustaches? Is is making a statement? "Girls can be fat and has mustaches too you know!"

i think its kinda contradictory to say you like something and then, ask whats so appealing about that thing bad bait

>Implying.

Those are lips.

I've got bad news everyone, I'm Steven.....

>What do people find so appealing about it?
Having to answer this question all the time.

The fact that it takes itself seriously.

His voice gets better.

>Fantasy taking itself seriously is a con
>Not a huge plus
Fuck quippy, winking at the audience shit. We need more serious fantasy

DSL in a kiddie show?

what the fuck are you talking about. where are these women with mustaches. i think you had a stroke while watching the show.

This. It's nice to see sincerity.

r u blind?

Those are lips user

>"Is it too late to change the name?"

>"Ant-Man?"
>"I know, it wasn't my idea."

Thankfully that wasn't in the movie, but they had to include it in the trailers for some reason

We're very disappointed in you Steven.

It probably was originally in the movie, but got cut out in the final draft. Same with the prolonged flatulence joke and "Hand over your mustache".

To me it feels more patronizing than sincere. It's underlying messages are clear but it keeps hammering in the same themes with every episode like we need to be reminded... Yeah I get it! your breaking gender and sexuality boundaries for a tv show, I GET IT!! good job!"

Seeing this kind of thing become commonplace in media is wonderful, especially in a kids show but it acts like its the only damn show that ever did it and ever will do it.

>eaking gender and sexuality boundaries for a tv show
What fucking episode were yoh watching?

>Yeah I get it! your breaking gender and sexuality boundaries for a tv show
But that hasn't been the message of any of the episodes you jackass.

It's an underlying theme for the premise of the entire show.

The only instance I can think of where they are "breaking gender and sexuality boundaries" is Ruby and Sapphire. Other than that, I think you're reading way too far into it.

The underlying premise is a kid learning about his superpowers and his alien mom.

>What do people find so appealing about it?
Only SJW tumblrites find it appealing, and they don't count as "human," much less "people."

Yeah, they're fleshed out alright. Especially amethyst and steven.

>it acts like its the only damn show that ever did it and ever will do it
How?

The show presents males acting girly, women being tough, or people being gay without any fanfare. They treat it as inconsequential instead of drawing attention to it.

7 Reception
7.1 Critical response
7.1.1 Production values
7.1.2 Writing and themes
7.1.3 Gender and sexuality

From the fucking wiki page if your own experience watching the show wasn't enough. Do you use your brain at all while you watch or are you just face first in the frosted wheats?

>without any fanfare

Hahahaha no.

The show is funny, cute, has a lot of interesting characters I'm invested in and has a lot of lore. I like that the backgrounds are beautiful, there are tons of original songs (BGM + lyrical) and the characters are still often cartoony.

Most importantly: It makes me happy.

Where does the show draw attention to any of those things like they're special? None of the characters treat it as unusual.

The wiki page is just Tumblrfags reading too far into it. Do you use your brain at all while you watch or do you just base your opinions on the wiki?

The wiki was made by fans. SU fans are the last people on Earth you learn about SU from.

The creators of the show didn't make the wikipedia page idiot. That page is made by other people who are projecting just as much as you are.

It is among one of Becky's many, many fetishes.

>drawing attention to it.

The fact that you can rattle off all those points only proves my point. Everything in that show's fiber is trying it's damnedest to drive it's trailblazing, innovative, revolutionary, social standard mentality home. It's waay over done and comes off to me as self absorbed.

Steven universe is a good show. If you don't listen to the hype and judge it on the merits that its a fucking kids show. Its not the next grand sci fi epic, its not the next Avatar or Korra. It's a kids show that does very basic character and world building and everyone likes it because it builds the world and characters like no other fucking show does.

Only thing SU does right is make steven feel like an actual kid, then they fuck it up half way through season 2 by making steven feel less like a kid and more like a kid in an adults body.

Go into it expecting a kids show and knowing its trying to capture kids attention and its fine.

I think he's confusing the show for the fanbase. I could be wrong.

>drawing attention to it.
He said it DOESN'T draw attention to it, doesn't mean you can't notice it.

Holy shit, you really did have a stroke. You should really go to the hospital.

I dont think so. It pokes fun at itself plenty of times throughout the show.

>This show takes it's self waaay too seriously.
Is that right?

The problem isn't that it takes itself too seriously, the problem is it goes from taking itself seriously in one episode to not very seriously in another, and those serious episodes are such a rarity that whenever we go back to not so serious it feels like the writers aren't going through fully with the show's potential. It feels like it could be the next big space fantasy action adventure cartoon but it falls short and feels more like a comfy episodic American rip off version of magic girls starring a boy rather than a girl. If they had continued how the first few episodes felt I'd love the show, but they try to amp it up so periodically in between filler episodes and constant hiatuses that it makes the payoff feel not as worth it. At least we came to expect AT to be a little mediocre and it felt even the writers were aware they couldn't do everything they wanted to so settled for less eventful storylines and split the movie up into episodes.
>fleshed-out
>Both characters in OP's pic appeared in a mere one episode before essentially all SU fags declared them the best characters and starting shipping them

BUT WHAT IF HIS

>Most importantly: It makes me happy.

I fucking hate millennials. MUH FEELINGS, IT'S ALL ABOUT MUH FEELINGS.

You realize "making me happy" isn't a reason for liking something? WHY does it make you happy? HOW does it make you happy?

Fuck.

The show has a clear agenda to prove how innovative it is. It was plane to me before ever looking at the wiki and now that I do read it. The creators of the show surly pride themselves in how well they are doing at defining a new era in cartoons and social standards in media. So FUCKING proud.

Here's your (you)

I don't think so, Sugar seems like a very modest person based on her interviews and comic con appearances

Are you retarded?

>>fleshed-out
>>Both characters in OP's pic appeared in a mere one episode before essentially all SU fags declared them the best characters and starting shipping them
They're also been greatly fleshed-out since.

Even the supporting characters in SU have more characterization than most main characters in cartoons.

nigga I'm in it for the alien rocks, you need to reel it back in a bit

has a point. You need to learn to be more antithetical or you'll just be another sheep going with the flow. Also, the only way things will improve in this world is if we criticize things and not just accept them. It's fine if you like it, but you need to know why and more importantly, why some parts you might not like.

Did you read my post at all?

I said they were doing the exact opposite of drawing attention to it.

The answer is in the other part of that post.

Now you just sound like a jealous ass bitch. At least criticize the show based on its own craft. Don't just be mad that someone is doing something with their life and you aren't

I think Jasper got a crap ton of development in Earthlings, before that she was pretty one dimensional but she has motives and you kind of feel sorry for her after that episode.

>takes it's self waaay too seriously.

What does that even mean in the first place? Would you rather every piece of fiction in media be ironic, self-aware "wink wink, quip quip" light comedies only?

If the show were anything like what you're describing, the narrative would keep pointing out how things like a homo couple or a sensitive male are special. But it doesn't do that at all. Neither the show nor the creators boast or even act like it's a big deal.

>implying I'm gonna spend 10 minutes analyzing why I like Steven Universe
top kek you got me fucked up. I listed basic reasons for why I liked the show already anyway.

I think the 11 minutes time slot really fucks over the show though. Like the cast said, the show would be a lot better with a 15 minute slot. Too bad that doesn't exist.

>SU in a TTGO style

whole lotta cancer

>The problem isn't that it takes itself too seriously, the problem is it goes from taking itself seriously in one episode to not very seriously in another, and those serious episodes are such a rarity that whenever we go back to not so serious it feels like the writers aren't going through fully with the show's potential.
I disagree. I feel like the tonal changes are done very organically. I think the real problem the have is interweaving the setting and all those side characters into overall plot in a way that feels meaningful which they seem to be deadset on avoiding at this point.

I don't agree with many of its messages and in fact don' t even like the show all that much, but at least it's straightforward and not a collection of "duuuuuuude, isn't this, like, so kuh-razy and unrealistic? Eh? *turns to audience and winks* Eh? Eh? Aren't the writers sooooo clever?! Eh?"

Yeah, cartoons aren't made for your enjoyment, they're made so you can spend hours analyzing them and arguing about them on the internet.

>At least criticize the show based on its own craft.
- Good animation, great at times.
- Amazing soundtrack
- Creative universe
- Noble and inspired themes
- Normally positive character writing with a few acceptations (for the kids)
- ANNOYING FUCKING MONO-PITCH STEVEN VOICE
- and CLEAR GENDER AND SEXUALITY AGENDA

I like to think of this as a discussion, thank you.

>- ANNOYING FUCKING MONO-PITCH STEVEN VOICE
In retrospect, Steven's voice was a major turn off during early season one, but it does get better and sounds less like he's screaming overtime

>- and CLEAR GENDER AND SEXUALITY AGENDA
So how's that negatively affected what happens in the show?

I hate to pull this card, but you really do spend too much time around here. Any outsider to Sup Forums, or the internet in general, reeeally likely wouldn't see it this way and, if they dislike it, then they would dislike it for other reasons (maybe they don't like the pacing, or the characters, or the music, etc). It's likely the bundles and bundles of praise from fans, critics, news outlets, etc that you've seen all this time that could be having an effect on your opinion of the show. But it's not the fault of the writers/creators that news outlets keep grabbing the "progressive" stuff on the show and parading it around as a huge achievement or whatever.
The creator has said many a time that she's writing about things personal to her, and to me, it feels sincere. Sometimes it's awkward or clunky but I can see that they're writing from the heart. Every piece of art or media has an "agenda" because content creators make things about what they personally enjoy and/or believe in.

No but there is something to be said about being subtle in its underlying themes.

How does it feel to have become the soccer mom user? Are you finding hidden messages in playing music backwards too?

I catch this show every so often while washing the dishes on the little kitchen tv at my house. I've never talked with anyone about this show until now and simply formed my opinions of it after watching it in passing a few times. I wanted to bring these points up but nobody I know watches the show so why not ask this board at large?

Be specific. At this point I can only believe that you're upset that the theme of sexuality exists in any way. I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt here so work with me. Be specific.

>The creator has said many a time that she's writing about things personal to her,
>things personal to her,

Yeah, I've had card drawn at me before. By a "pansexual" black girl very into Diversity, Representation, Inclusiveness, etc. and with whom I had an argument with long ago.

The fact that this type of ideology is considered "personal" speaks only of how widespread and deeply ingrained in today's society (especially among Millennials) it is, to the point that the agenda doesn't exist because it was successfully realized.

I've been trying to hear you out this whole time but you're literally just butthurt. Fuck off dude

>Seeing this kind of thing become commonplace in media is wonderful
>Noble and inspired themes

As I made clear in previous posts; I'm all for it! but I can't help but notice the shows overwhelming and anoying tenacity.

>"pansexual" black girl

Perfect analogy for this show.

I don't give a shit that your for or against it but I can only assume you're lying because you keep repeating the same shit. What a bout it's portrayal in the show triggers you so much? Can you point to scenes, episodes anything and then explain why it negatively impacts the show?

>to the point that the agenda doesn't exist because it was successfully realized

Maybe that's my peeve. It's so usual these days but the show continues to press on like it's own personal social warrior.

>and CLEAR GENDER AND SEXUALITY AGENDA
"Be nice to everyone" isn't really an agenda to get upset over.

Normal people don't watch it. Its a show made by special snowflakes who want to be famous for being "progressive".

By having a bunch of fat people cry and scream, apparently.

Shut up Boco.

it's shit.
Stevens a little pussi.
this showes for sjw's in college and fat fucks confused about gender.

>tripfag calling other people special snowflakes

Just stay watching your episodic looney random shows. It looks like you prefer those and that's fine. Don't search in every show things that you want.

OP here: Thanks for the discussion. Time for supper. I'll give the show another try with a different state of mind and not to be so bitter about it. Also watching it sequentially might help instead of seeing it in such a segmented way while washing the dishes.

He just listed why it makes him happy in the same post

This. I've heard this same "critic" a bunch of times. That's why cartoons never go out the only "kid's shows" label and, as I see, kids from 5 to below years old.

Many people in Sup Forums is always complaining about the shows having a plot and not being episodic, random, light or wacky things.

You don't like that kind of shows? well, go watch Looney Tunes or something alike? I like Looney Toons Too but not everything should be the same.

Why do you find whatever you find funny, funny?
Why do you find what you find sexually attractive, attractive?

What does that mean? Are artists not allowed to express themselves because they might hurt your feelings?

Nobody likes you, BITCH!

well, happy birthday, Steven.

>please donĀ“t insult my favourite show u meanie waaah

Way to miss the point completely

OP/you simply cannot wrap their mind around big fat-as-fuck pouty lips

fixd

>tiny mouth
>that giga chin

you blew it

Nah I hate the character designs/ art style in this show. But at least its not Adventure Time

Good to know?