Missed Rebirth's launch, want to catch up. What's the first Rebirth book? Not interested in the New 52 ending books

Missed Rebirth's launch, want to catch up. What's the first Rebirth book? Not interested in the New 52 ending books.

Also general DC thread I guess.

DC Universe Rebirth #1 by Geoff Johns

Rebirth 1 and Flash and Titans.

Also Batman, Green Arrow, Green Lanterns have all been good to great.

Superbooks are wild as fuck but generally Sup Forums has a positive view.

If you want to go back a bit further, read Superman: Lois and Clark but Jurgens.
Bother with the Convergence tie-in before it if you like. It's nice, but you're not missing much.

Thank you anons

I'll keep them in mind, thanks.

I think Action has been bad and would not recommend it, but the other Superbooks range from ok to nice/10.

Most books have been good though. Safe to just try what seems interesting.

Yeah a lot of the Convergence tie-ins are good on their own, but the actual main event book was trash. It's notable in that it provides an explanation for why pre-Flashpoint Supes and Lois are running around now. Also does something notable the fact that there are two Booster Golds, too, but that surprisingly hasn't been follow up on since

If you're interested in specific points that DC Rebirth introduces, Titans currently is the main book that is following up on that overarching plot, but even that book is more focused on the individual characters and not the big picture.

Action isn't really BAD bad, it's just super decompressed and is retreading old ground.

Even though DCU Rebirth 80-pager mentions them in the beginning, Superman #52 and Justice League #50 are *not* required reading. The point of that editor's note was that, if you're already reading those stories, the 80-pager will spoil the ending to them.

And honestly, you shouldn't bother with them: both of those stories -- The Death of the New52 Superman and Darkseid War -- weren't very good. All the important bits are summarized and written well in the 80-pager, so you can skip them entirely.

None of the stories have directly dived into the ongoing Rebirth plots yet. They've hinted at some kind of setup, but it's clear that most are going to just ignore it until at least early 2017.

As for what comes right after, you can pretty much try any book and see if you like it. Most of the creative teams are pretty good.

The June books (which are, thus, the series with the most issues) were:

* Batman
* Superman
* Action Comics
* Detective Comics
* Green Lanterns
* Green Arrow
* The Flash
* Wonder Woman
* Aquaman
* Titans (a monthly book, though)

Green Arrow is probably the biggest highlight, certainly in terms of art. Green Lanterns is well-liked for its fun, although the art has been rushed. Batman started off a bit slow, but it's been quite good in the recent issues (and the preview for #5 looks great). Superman is good, although decompressed; Action Comics is less good but more decompressed. Wonder Woman is ... eh -- the art of each story is fine (it switches art teams every other issue), but the pacing is *highly* decompressed, and Rucka is tinkering with Diana's origin once again.

I personally like Flash, but it does have its issues -- mostly with Di Giandomenico and its long plot (not exactly decompressed, but is still slow to reach the ending). The good thing, though, is that it's created a genuine "whodunit" type of scenario, where it's really not clear who the villain is.

Aquaman is great, too. 'Tec is slow, but built for Bat-fans.

This.

In order of how good they are

Green Arrow
Nightwing
Flash
Batman
Red Hood

is the top 5. I'm liking where Aquaman is going too. The only bad one I've read so far is Birds of Prey, because that art was just awful.

Nah man, it's bad. Not only is it Doomsday retread but literally nothing has happened plot-wise. Glad the sales aren't that great compared to Superman (and NSM but kind of too early to tell with that since it's just the #1).

>The good thing, though, is that it's created a genuine "whodunit" type of scenario, where it's really not clear who the villain is.

We've got two good guesses, but yeah it's not immediately telegraphed and it's nice hearing the speculation. The real reason why I love Flash right now though is that Williamson really goes a great job writing Barry's character, and his supporting cast is also interesting and contributes to the story with him. It's a bit of a retread of a story arc under Manapul/Buccellato, but it's done in a way that feels fresh

Titans would be a top 10/10 book if Booth wasn't on art. Even then it's probably his best art but goddamn the quality still throws me out of the story too often.

I'll throw in another vote for Aquaman, it's dealing heavily with the idea of Aquaman as an ambassador trying to hash out better relations between the surface world and Atlantis and it's some genuinely good political tension stuff.

I think it's too early to call a judgment on RHatO, considering that Artemis only showed up in the last page of the most recent issue and Bizarro is nowhere to be found yet.

Lobdell writes a pretty good Jason, but I'm still not sold on how he'll deal with the rest of the team he's planning on setting up.

>read some mediocre minis for a bad rebirth comic
I suggest you don't take this advice, OP.

DC Rebirth does a good enough job explaining that part anyways.

My top five books are
>New Super-Man
>Red Hood and the Outlaws
>Batman
>Aquaman
>Green Lanterns

Superman is really good, but I'm really getting annoyed at the change of artists almost every issue.

That fucking Supergirl looks like sex.

September can't come faster.

as someone who hasnt read much nightwing could you give a quick summary of whats going on?

He's Nightwing again and still doing undercover shit, but for the Parliament of Owls, which is the same as the Court, but worldwide. He's been partnered with Raptor who's acting as sort of a mentor to Dick.

oh SHIT i fucking loved court of owls and night of owls

does it have the same elements of mystery and surprise?

>former LCS is having Orlando signing books for its launch
>I just moved last week and I'm now a two-hour's drive away

It's not fair

I'm just hating on Rebirth rn bc they basically replaced Kon-El with Jon Kent

I'm sure Kon will pop up eventually

I hope so, I hope so.

Supergirl Rebirth comes out this week.