When is Marvel going to stop pandering to minorities and women and go back to pandering to people that need it the...

When is Marvel going to stop pandering to minorities and women and go back to pandering to people that need it the most: Straight White Males? Or is it only pandering when it's done towards minorities and women?

Other urls found in this thread:

comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2016/2016-07.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The problem is not pandering
Marvel suffers from X-men curse

you misspelled read. It's R not N.

anyone got any busnieness figures to back up
what "fans" of the comic and video game industry are saying?

Is there quantifiable proof that SJW'd games and comics actually sell less than its other contemporaries?

>When is Marvel going to stop pandering to minorities and women and go back to pandering to people that need it the most: Straight White Males?

So you want Marvel to pander period? Why not just let Marvel do good writing instead of having them jerk you off. This only proves that unless you're jerking straight white males off, they can't enjoy the medium. Which in turn, is what Marvel was trying to say. So you proved them right....

Hellcat, Angela Queen of Hell, Milestone Comics

But those sucked. They would have failed wether it starred a white dude or not.

I hear conflicting reports of Whor doing better than the previous Thor run though.

>Care to prove me wrong?
Either do better "research" before forming an opinion, or bait better, because this is boring.

Because straight white males will buy their comics regardless of if they like them or not. Minority groups won't bother with franchises that don't represent them and that's lost profit. Plus, it's good PR. It's a win-win for them.

It's still pandering, just to the same old customers.

>Because straight white males will buy their comics regardless of if they like them or not

Sales figures seem to prove that wrong

>Inb4 +200 replies

>Minority groups won't bother with franchises that don't represent them and that's lost profit. Plus, it's good PR. It's a win-win for them.

Wrong. WRONG. The push for minority in comics is only a thing because minorities WERE reading comics. Many writers believed by catering to them, they'd reward the minorities while also pulling in more minorities.

Keep in mind, Anime, Manga, Cartoons, and Comics all have huge audiences from varying backgrounds. So to say minorities won't bother with franchises that don't include them is a lie. Minorities support straight white males in entertainment all the time. One of the reasons certain movies do so well across all walks of life.

>Source
Minority who has lived in a household full of minorities and grew up around them. They don't care as long as they're entertained.

Do you have any specific sales figures? Not trying to be condescending or anything, I genuinely haven't been keeping up with them and would like to know which titles are falling in sales. The only one I was aware of was Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur but I could kind of tell that was a one run title when it was announced. I still really like it, though.

>Minorities support straight white males in entertainment all the time.
Very true. Blacks consume more TV/Movies than any other group in the US

I wish they would make better stories.
And stop to use pandering as a gimmick and start again "wouldnt it be cool if x would be y"

That actually is a very good point. Plus, there's a fine line between representation and pandering that a lot of titles fail to recognize. It's even worse when it makes little sense in terms of narrative and canon.

One minority to another, what's your take on what Marvel's been doing? I'm personally on the fence. On one hand you have them tapping into Ta-Nehisi Coates for Black Panther and Totally Awesome Hulk. On the other hand you get Bendis thinking that giving a hero a vagina or a new skin tone suddenly makes it progressive.

Not really true. South America, Europe and even parts of Africa and Asia have been reading Marvel/DC comics for decades and they never really cared they were being pandered to.

>One minority to another, what's your take on what Marvel's been doing?
I typically ignore Bendis, cause his hearts in the right place, but he's really making it hard to support him. I tend to favor when writers sort of assume my intelligence and don't make it all outright blatant. I love to see people of different backgrounds in stories, not just black, any kind of ethnic background that breaks the norm. But that's more because I enjoy learning about different groups and also the unique flavor it brings to the story.

I know imma seem like a pleb, but this is why I enjoyed Ms. Marvel so much. Because the writer assumes your intelligence and knows you understand why this character is here, without him outright throwing it in your face. That's the kind of shit I like.

Spawn is another case. He's not more or less a black character, than he is just a character in general. Walking around town, i'm not thinking of myself as a black man, though I acknowledge this, I carry my duties out as a man before anything.

I'm on the same page. Ms. Marvel is an interesting case because they found a good balance between making her race incidental to her situation while also acknowledging her background. As shit as Civil War II has been, I liked her tie-in where it related her situation to when her grandparents fled Pakistan.

When the movie bubble bursts & the casuals attentions flutter away somewhere else.

>making her race incidental to her situation

Oh bullshit
for almost a year prior to the comic's release they were screaming to anyone who would give them publicity
FEMALE MUSLIM FEMALE MUSLIM FEMALE MUSLIM FEMALE MUSLIM

Even if that's going to happen, it won't be for a very, very long time.

>Bendis
>heart in the right place

no.

It's almost as if you have to actually read the comic instead of just reading clickbait news articles....

I meant the story not the marketing. I wasn't on board at first and then I actually sat and read it and was surprised. Bendis made me forget that it was possible for someone to write a minority character with subtlety.

The comic is shit
She uses the word Infidel casually in the first or second issue.
The word Infidel to Muslims even the moderate ones is about the worst thing you can call someone (about the same as a white character saying "delicious nigger food") .
The writer being a Muslim knows this.

What was the exact context? Believe what you want about the comic but if you're trying to convince other people about its quality with that as your argument at least give a screencap of the panel.

How about you stupid reading shitty marvel comicbooks then?
Or better yet, comicbooks period?

>It would've failed regardless of PC pandering as long as it sucked.

It's like you want everyone to know you don't read comics.

The writer also thinks Iran is a free country...

>This only proves that unless you're jerking straight white males off, they can't enjoy the medium.
No shit dude. Which do you think feels better? Being jerked off or watching someone else get jerked off?

What are you even talking about? You picked 3 shitty comics to promote your agenda. Miles, Ms.Marvel, and Whor are doing well faggot

This seems to be an issue that white males need to address with themselves because minorities have been enjoying stories without them for decades.

YOU'RE SO SUPER COOL

I'd prefer for them to publish fun books. They still do that now but sadly less than usual.

G. Willow Wilson is the archetypical Caucasian convert to Islam. She probably had daddy issues, drug problems, depression and wanted attention and something that made her feel snowflake special. Many jump on the muslim train because it's the new vogue and hip thing to do and it gives them something to complain and feel victimized over.

In Wilson's defense, she has shown some of the ass backwards things about Islam like her parents against miscengation because their Islamism needs to be pure and Aamir being a sack of shit but she's still an apologist for this behavior since they get away with it and Kamala is an enabler. Funniest thing in her Civil War II tie in, the blonde girl came out as a lesbian and is crushing on the queen bitch hijabi friend. I can't wait to where they show her getting dropped like a sack of potatoes because Islam doesn't play that shit or queen bitch becomes full hypocrite with a taco session.

The funny thing is that Inhumans in hindsight are the worst stereotype of Islam and Pakistanis.
They act like they own everyone and can do anything they want because of perpetual victimhood, hate miscegenation because racial/religious purity, engage in Incest, somewhat eugenic because of the above, and engage in terrorist activities at the drop of a hat because hurt feelings and no accountability for their actions. I can't wait for this to come up, especially if Kamala sees Jew mutants like Magneto or Kitty Pryde get gassed and die. Bonus points if they cry about the holocaust before being gassed.

We got more minority heroes that actually stuck around when Marvel wasn't on the crusty SJW dick.

There's no difference between killing Hulk and making Thor a woman. Both are equally cynical, short-term grabs at publicity.

>On one hand you have them tapping into Ta-Nehisi Coates for Black Panther
>On the other hand you get Bendis thinking that giving a hero a vagina or a new skin tone suddenly makes it progressive.

Those are both terrible things, you're supposed to name a Pro first.

comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2016/2016-07.html

I wonder if her Vertigo books are worth reading?

Can't we just making interesting/engaging fucking characters without bitching or moaning about their gender/race

stop being so passive aggressive jesus fucking christ

Pandering is only a problem when it overshadows the story

If the writing is shit, it's shit
If the writing is good, it's good

No, we can't

Marvel does shit like this Riri Iron Man replacement.

i was more so referring to people being passive aggressive about straight white dudes being important characters lol

come back when you don't have completely worthless shit to say

They need to stop changing titles of heroes to minorities and ladies. Miles as Spidey was good, along with Kate as Hawkeye, lady Thor was meh, but they fucking killed me with the new "Iron Women" shit

They'd have better profits if they jerked off their main audience.

Except they are pandering to their main audience and are making more profit than ever before. Comics are dying and they realized if they're gonna keep this industry alive for at least another 20 years, they're going to have expand their fanbase because clearly white basement-dwelling nerds weren't keeping them afloat.

>Comics are dying