Does it ever blow your mind how unlikable literally EVERY single character on Voyager is?

does it ever blow your mind how unlikable literally EVERY single character on Voyager is?

except Neelix of course

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VWlv_02fRyY
askmen.com/dating/dzimmer_100/130_love_answers.html
memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Chekote
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Did you forget about me?

Maybe you're under the influence of an alien mind. Kes, the cortical stimulator please.

HACUCHIMOYA

I don't blame the cast as much as I blame the writer's and showrunner.

Chocolate Day was fine in the first three seasonswhere they give him things to do. He pretty much vanishes from the cast for the rest of the series.

I'm on the last season of DS9, and scared to start Voyager when I'm finished. Is it really that bad?

None of the episodes have satisfying endings and the characters are just kind of uninteresting, but it's not as horrible as people make it out to be. Enterprise is much worse.

>Enterprise is much worse

Likeable pisses me off. What does that even mean? Me liking a character isn't a sign if they are a good character.

What makes a good character is a compelling story arc that is moved forward by the character having enough agency to affect the plot with their decisions.

The characters on VOY are fucking boring and all their problems are solved by Seven's nanoprobes instead a character having a moment of crisis where they have to make a tough decision that will have actual consequences.

Neelix is literally the worst character mate.

Voyager has a larger number of interesting characters than TNG

didn't really save the show now, did it? I mean, Data alone was more interesting than the entire cast of Voyager. You can make the characters have all the intriguing backstories you want, but if nothing ever comes out of it and the plots are dull then what is even the point.

well said crewman

care for a bowl of my leola-root stew?
famous throughout the delta quadrant!

The first half of Enterprise is worse than Voyager. Second half is pretty good tbqh

After the first couple of episodes Voyager settles on being a watered down TNG.

Did I ever tell you about that time I worked on orbital tethers back on Rinax captain?

Some episodes are excellent, especially the Borg related ones. I always enjoyed the atmosphere of Voyager more than other Star Treks - they're actually isolated in the Delta Quadrant, giving the series and the ship a more comfy feel. Best characters are Tuvok, Doctor, Seven and Kim. And you will hate Neelix, I guarantee it.

youtube.com/watch?v=VWlv_02fRyY

come sit on uncle Neelix's lap..
It's storytime!

I hated Neelix until I watched the episode where he tried to kill himself. The fact that he had a lapse of faith and went full nihilist was superb and I think the idea of suicide was handled much better there than in the Worf episode.

The Doctor is literally the best character in the entire franchise.

>I always enjoyed the atmosphere of Voyager more than other Star Treks - they're actually isolated in the Delta Quadrant

which does not translate to the tone. at all.

Neelix to Tuvok
Come in Tuvok

there's been a little accident in the transporter room..

I mean Garak exists so not really.

I liked Tom... But only because I imagined he was still being pursued for the Cosmic Key.

Hey is this pic from Hedonism 2?

no but this is

Is it true that the guy who played Chakotay hated Voyager so much that he kept demanding pay rises in the hope that they would fire him?
But they just kept paying him more?

IT'S NEELIX TIME
please daddy no!

I recently rewatched all of Trek, from TOS to ENT. Going from DS9 to VOY is like driving your dream car down an open stretch of highway and suddenly deciding to go off-roading by steering the car off a steep embankment.

There are moments of fun and exhilaration, but in the end it's just one big goddamned car wreck while you reminisce about the way it used to be.

>Enterprise is much worse

I liked Capt. Sam Beckett tho

Going form DS9 to Voyager is like going from drinking piss to drinking fine champagne.
DS9 was like the daytime soap opera version of trek.

I hate how no one really harbored anger towards Janeway for getting them stranded. They kind of just accepted it which isn't natural. From time to time it would have been nice to see the stress get to the crew over it.

Also, as mentioned 1,000 before more conflict between the two crews would have been nice. Voyager really let some natural conflict go to waste.

neelix was basically a better,more involved version of dyna

Why don't you love me, user?

Hirogen episodes are golden

Picardo was great but all of his scripts were ripoffs of Data episodes. And then they did it again with 7. Not to mention Odo sort of had similar plots as a human and there were elements of
>le discover your humanity but also appreciate what makes you not a human
with Spock.

It does. I'm currently watching it for the first time, and it's easily the biggest problem with the show. If the characters were good, then good episodes would be a million times better, and forgettable episodes would at least be enjoyable. As it is, all they do is help make weak episodes seems absolutely abysmal.

I disagree, I reckon Seven and The Doctor are very interesting characters that actually evolve over the show and end up in some thought provoking philosophical situations.

And Tuvok is as solid and well written as any other Vulcan.

And Harry is pretty comfy cos he's just a 20-something dude who wants to get home and bang his Chinese girlfriend

It's pretty fuckin' bad. You know that empty feeling you get when you see one of the bad TNG or DS9 episodes? You just kind of stare at the credits and think "well... at least it's over". With Voyager, it happens on almost every episode at a certain point, and there is no relief, because you know that the next episode is probably going to be horrible, too.

And I shouldn't say "horrible". There aren't really a ton of horrible episodes, they're mostly mediocre to forgettable, but in that mediocrity is a kind of horribleness, in that you keep waiting for those excellent episodes you know the show should have, based on what you know of TNG and DS9, and they never come.

As someone who only watched TNG and DS9 as a kid, it's weird to be watching a '90s Trek that is so consistently disappointing.

Their isolation doesn't have to match the tone. Because the crew stuck together for longer than expected, the crew develop a stronger sense of comradery, hence the comfy.

His gf was white and he stops caring about her by the 3rd season.

Ok I take it back Voyager is shit

Except Enterprise did Voyager better than voyager: the xindi arc in season 3.

Crashing this Holodeck. With no survivors!

I always forget hes in that movie until I rewatch it again and many keks are had anew.

>Voyager really let some natural conflict go to waste

If I remember correctly, the studio thought DS9 was "too dark" so they wanted to lighten things up again, trying to get back to the balance that TNG had between fun and hardship.

Plus there was enough fighting behind the scenes on that production that I guess they had no reason to transfer it to the characters on screen.

Who's idea was it to convert the hirogen bridges into holodecks? Or even have it wired into any essential systems?

>the crew develop a stronger sense of comradery, hence the comfy
Except they didn't. The writing did nothing to convey this idea. Just because you think it should have happened doesn't mean that it did.

>they're actually isolated in the Delta Quadrant, giving the series and the ship a more comfy feel
Except they completely dropped the ball. Not much ever happens to really drive home the point that they're alone. There are single episodes of TNG and DS9 that handle the premise of isolation from the Federation better than the entirety of Voyager. Both of those shows constantly had conflicts that had to be resolved without resources from the Federation.

The biggest kick in the dick is that two of the best ideas that could have only happened in the Voyager setting (The Maquis mutiny and the Year of Hell) were basically both just "What if?" scenarios. What a fucking waste.

>DS9 has strong character relationships and conflicts, and not enough Borg nanoprobes, exploration and technobabble, so it's a soap opera
Plebbest of the Plebs.

>Its a voyager is accidentally an episode of a better show episode

>The writing did nothing to convey this idea
Yeah it did - maybe not as good as it could have though. I recall heaps of episodes where they are bored and passing time. For example Harry and Tom fucking around on the holodeck recreating 50s movies.

>Their isolation doesn't have to match the tone

then what is the fucking point of the fucking revolutionary premise if all we get is seven more seasons of TNG only with a less likable crew?

why did they lose like a foot and a half in the later episodes?

Voyager has a lot of problems, but as bad as it gets it still feels like fucking trek.
It gets a lot of meme bandwagon hate, its the weakest entry in the franchise, but still has good episodes. Counterpoint genuinely is one of my favorite trek episodes.
The show was just so inconsistent overall.

Chakotay and are the only good and likeable characters.

Janeway can munch on a bag of dicks. She's too fucking emotional to be a competent Commander but thats what you fucking get for
>putting women in commander positions

I tried to research this and while I couldn't find that story specifically, he was unhappy with the way his character was written and felt as if he had been pushed to the sidelines.

>the show makes the best use of its premise by showing the characters being bored
Voyager is a terrible Trek, and the only thing worse are the fans who try to defend it.

Just watched Time's Arrow. I thought it was good and entertaining, but the Mark Twain/Jack London stuff felt kind of dumb and out of place for Star Trek.

>She's too fucking emotional to be a competent Commander
Better K/D ratio than Kirk, Picard, or Sisko. Stay salty.

>kills meaning anything
In fact that just shows her incompetency further.

>hey shouldn't we find a peaceful soluti-
>nah just kill 'em lol

>Janeway
>too emotional

oh give over

Kirk hams everything up when he's not being a sex god
Picard's just shakespearean his way through things and sounds like a silly preposterous wanker most of the time
Sisko's acting is borderline autistic and all he does is assault people or go insane
Janeway's a lot more realistic that them, she's not overacting so damn much
(Archer's also quite good too)

Borg pls.

It was sort of a matter of them being super militarily advanced but complete garbage in most other areas. They really weren't prepared to deal with holodeck technology since their species wouldn't have invented that sort of thing in a million years.

>the writing was so stupid and contrived that most conflicts usually just amounted to violence
>this makes Janeway a good captain
The delusion is real.

>likeable

What does this even mean? I'm serious I don't understand what you liking a character has to do with them being well written. My autism is being legit triggered.

There's nothing unlikable about Seven.

Never got this either. Does it mean you want to be their friend? Or that you care about them or want them to succeed?

Maybe they mean "appealing"?

>the crew develop a stronger sense of comradery,
Except it doesn't develop over time. It's written as solid fact from day one. For example, in the pilot episode "Caretaker", Paris and Kim decide to be Best Friends Forever five minutes after they meet.

The writers wanted the glory of Bashir/O'Brien, Data/Geordi and Kirk/Spock/McCoy, but they were too lazy to put in the effort, so friendships like Kim/Paris come off as fake and forced.

What makes a character appealing is agency.

You know what mad me a huge faggot for Bashir? The Wire. Here was an episode where Garak was sick and he did everything he could to push Bashir away, but Julian wouldn't budge. Julian is a man of morals and decided it was his duty as a doctor, and as a friend, to save Garak's life in spite of all the lies he told and the horrible things he said and did.

Bashir made a decision that affected his relationship with his friend, and I think that makes him a good character.

Plus I would drink a gallon of his semen like straight up no chaser.

That's possible too, as opposed to bland and uninteresting. But if that's what people mean, they should just say it. Likeable is vague and unclear.

I think a characters likeability should now be judged based on how likely you are to drink a certain character's bodily fluids. If you won't drink their sperm then they are obviously a bad character.

I had no idea Kim even had a GF, guess it explains why he kept on dating unobtainable women but was still lonely for some companionship.
Neelix is for friend, not for fite.

After watching afew episodes where it gets into his backstory, just some nieve pacifist that didnt want to fight in the wars only to watch everything he loves just dies and turn into some serious ash shit, I just figured him as 'fucking ignore horrible screaming chared images of your famialy and everything is okay' kind of deal.
A hologram wrote this.

But for real, just imagining being a hologram programed to be the doctor, all of the doctors fucking die, your left on, gain some sentience and have to deal with a bunch of assholes that keep turning you off when you want shit not to explode.

What would his semen taste like?

>“Fast food burgers, fries, pizza and tacos have a chemical that make your semen taste bitter, so you’re better off, for your stomach and sex life, not indulging,” says House.

askmen.com/dating/dzimmer_100/130_love_answers.html

Except it would have been easy to calm him down with

"Well you came back to life, right? Why would you go to heaven when it wasn't your time to die?"

>7 of 9 on bondage

Oh my

worst chakotay

memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Chekote
best chakotay

How did he know what a delta quadrant is?

Why did he call it that when we only call it that because the federation founders called their quadrant alpha

Does Data have sperm? What is it made of? Is it harmful to humans if swallowed?

>In every way, of course. I am programed in multiple techniques. A broad variety of pleasuring.
I think he does have sperm

i was quite enjoying star trek threads until your 6 month hiatus ended

>She's too fucking emotional to be a competent Commander

I hate myself too.

>why did they lose like a foot and a half in the later episodes?

Never noticed this. Would have been cooler if they kept the height

When are we getting our pic of Jadzia's titties signed by Siddig?

Not until he signs my tits first.

Because those eps required more than two actors playing the aliens. There are probably only two bit-part actors in California who are close to seven feet, and reliable enough to show up on time and deliver lines.

It was more a writing problem than the cast. VOY had the worst writing of any trek series. Fucking abysmal.

There's anecdotal evidence of all the VOY writers hating their job and thinking they're better than this, and all the DS9 writers loving their job and caring about the show

Like the FRIENDS episode with the two parties - Voyager is Monica's boggle tournament, DS9 was Joey and Chandler's whitest rave ever

Everyone always asks about the best TNG episode (Rascals) or the best DS9 episode (Take Me Out To The Holosuite) but nobody ever asks what the best Voyager episode was.

What was the best Voyager episode?

Year of Hell

maaaaaybe Course: Oblivion

>Watching "That guy, who was in that thing" doc about working character actors
>Old guy looks dead into the camera and says "...And we all did star trek"
>Queue montage of all the literal who's showing up as alien #7, evil admiral of the week, and a dozen other bit parts I didn't even remember
Star trek kept food on the table for half the working actors in hollywood.

Counterpoint

The whole show should have been like Year of Hell. Federation ideals and principles stretched to the breaking point by 7 years of exile in an unknown and often hostile environment.

Too bad the writers were so shit.

Can't recall the name, but I liked the one where they were stuck above a planet with some time dilation shit going on and they became an idol to the planet over millennia.

Bought a TNG era com badge and rank pips

Not sure why, no plan to use them for anything

>get to write for the 2nd most most popular tv scifi franchise in history
>get to keep that job for seven fucking seasons
>i'm too good for this shit
Why are Jews so entitled, bros