DUDE REFERENCES LMAO: THE COMIC BOOK

>DUDE REFERENCES LMAO: THE COMIC BOOK

It was pretty good until the Constantine issue though

Does co not read comics?

ding ding ding ding

That was more a cross promotion for Transmetropolitan.

*grabs the dank weed*
Like what if...*smokes*...what if pop culture stuff was like real man...and like all connected together....

Woah ....

Planetary is one of my favourites, but it gets worse as the series progresses. The beginning is really fun and engaging, but the ending is easily the worst part.

Evil Invisible Woman and Mr Fantastic do nothing but get defeated ridiculously quick and easy, the Apokolips expy isnt actually dealt with and the last issue is dedicated to saving a guy we havent spent nearly enough time with to care about.

And what if the symbols of American comics are just as bad as America is in real life according to everything my idol Noam Chomsky tells me including all the assassinations, concentration camps, ethnic cleansings and all the other shit.

The problem with Ellis's thesis is one it's helluva one sided and two casting stones from glass houses. He is willing to decry Thatcher and her attacks on the British Welfare State, but doesn't seem to want to dig up the skeletons of the British Empire.

>que entire contextless issue of Ellis aimlessly discussing 80s superheroes and British comic writers

>Constantine issue
what. Storytime?

One issue the characters go to England for the funeral of NotConstantine.

At the end its revealed he's still alive, and faked his death. At the very end he changes his identity and becomes NotSpider Jerusalem

Loved this series.
My only real complaint was it took 10 years for 27 fucking issues to come out.
I don't mind delays and such, but that's just fucking ridiculous.

Has this been storytimed yet?

Fuck the haters, it was better than Authority. I'd kill to see Ellis having this much fun with comics again. His recent output is so fucking bleak and boring it makes me want to cry.

>edgy hero literally murdering classic hero

Subtlety!

Why was this comic so fucking compressed? Was the 27 issues length thing like a RULE that had to be obeyed to avoid a painful death?

It's just an awesome study of genre fiction with the barest hint of an overarcing story and then the first F4 story comes and Drummer opens it by saying something like, "Hold on because we're going in fast on this one!" and then the rest of the series moves by at light speed. I didn't even know the F4 guys weren't a one and done story like the Godzilla Island.

Moon Knight was cool. Obviously it didn't hold his interest beyond six issues but it was fun while it lasted.

There are still a lot of one and dones they're just tangentially connected to the F4. Like the issue with the giant ants where its revealed that not Mr Fantastic was running the science town.

>the Constantine issue
Just a hissy fit of his.

Obviously it was too subtle for you. You missed the whole point if that's all you walked away with.

>Pulp comic heroes murder the Justice League
>Then the Fantastic 4 murder the Justice League

Hmmmm what could Ellis have meant by this?

WHAT DID HE MEAN BY THIS!!???

Be glad you've got to see it finish at all.

the only thing really wrong with that issue is the spider Jerusalem thing. otherwise it's great. why didn't you like it?

>Fantastic 4 gets murdered by OC DONUT STEEL TEAM

THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN

yeah in rereads you see the all the connections and conspiracies

And then Constantine comes back as Spider Jerusalem.

Like seriously this book didn't even have a plot it was just a series of well drawn one shots with Ellis mildy homaging other, better stories.

The "Grant Morrison" issue was just using a meta plotline as a macguffin for an action scene, the "Kaiju' issue was spent walking around and looking at shit , the "80s DC" issue was indulgent preaching and so on.

The most fucked up thing Superman did in the 80s was that sex tape issue Byrne did. i get this is like Miracleman and a hint of Millar, but I never noticed if it had byrne references before

Also even if his metaphor as 'Marvel Superheroes killed all the other types of comics" was true, he still made The Four shite villains. They do basically nothing but faff about in the background meaninglessly then they are all taken down very easily.

>later on, Ellis writes Ultimate F4
Oh the irony.

>A British guy reveals a beloved Superhero as an edgy sexual government project full of grim derp and murdur

SUCH SUBTLY

>Fantastic 4 are made the bad guys just because Ellis read about the "Reed Richards is Useless" trope one morning over crumpets

he is actually referring to how superhero comics caused all the other genres of books to die out, which while roughly true, happened in the 50s when the comic code was made NOT in the 60s when the f4 and the Marvel Age took off.

If anything an evil JL should have been the big bads, which would work even better because then Planteray becomes the f4, he keeps his metaphor AND is actually accurate.

>crumpets
Is he an English Frank Miller or what?

TV Tropes didn't exist back then

I hope Brexit leaves him living on the streets for the rest of his life.

Honestly, I liked Planetary all the way through. Sure, it was a way for Ellis to wank off for years about how better the Brit invasion authors were regarding comics to Yank authors, but he was entertaining in the same way Sup Forums is entertaining.

Plus, if you've read Crooked Little Vein, it's hard for him *not* to come off as sympathetic then in comparison to what he became. Fuckery.

Ok who is more edgelord tryhard
Ellis
or
Ennis?

It's really just Miracleman since it's acknowledging Moore's influence leading to stuff like Vertigo and all the other stuff after.

Ennis in the sense that he's more juvenile at times, but he's more often a better writer than Ellis.

Haha holy shit mate that's funny as living fuck.

>They do basically nothing but faff about in the background meaninglessly
Except keep mankind from advancing. Look at the last issue and see how much has been made available to the betterment of mankind in just one year's time and only being 20% into the data that Dowling had kept locked away.
What the Four did was about the worst evil you can imagine.

You are; also a braindead fuckface.

Ennis in his fiction, and Ellis in real life. The former's comparatively way less of a cunt to fans and yet writes horrific shit. The latter's just an awful son of a bitch that I'd laugh about if a lorry ran him down.

It's just Moore really. A bunch of that is Swamp Thing shit too

You don't; understand grammar! Lol.

Storytelling is largely effective presentation. Ellis didn't present that in any meaningful fashion.

And has sex with his fans. Why doesn't he get Brian Wooded is beyond me.

Can't tell if you're trolling or just that stupid.

Ellis is too busy trying to bang Laurie Penny and Ennis is so old his dick doesn't work. The funny thing is, I have no idea which you're referring to, but they both have excuses.

>has sex with his fans
>we cannot have sex with his daughter

>Sure, it was a way for Ellis to wank off for years about how better the Brit invasion authors were regarding comics to Yank authors,
You really didn't read that NotConstantine issue, did you?

>Ennis is so old
Dude what? He cannot be more than 50.

Holy crap. He's 46. I am amazed by that. Dude looks and writes like an old bitter wasted cunt.

I kept waiting for the "we accidentally brought a fictional character into the real world" thing to pay off eventually, but it never did.

Same reason Gaiman doesn't.

I really did. Ellis is a Brit invasion author and he was yammering on about how his American OC was better than a Yank created British OC, with some Thatcher guilt thrown on top as seasoning. That's all it came down to.

Because British Imperialism isn't causing tons of issues nowadays no matter how much BLM want to pretend it does.

>Storytelling is largely effective presentation. Ellis didn't present that in any meaningful fashion.
Except the various times throughout the series where we're shown just what bastards the 4 were and how they kept everything for themselves, and how defeating them and getting that stuff out for the world to use became Snow's motivation after his memories came back.

That was one of the biggest pieces of wasted potential in comics.

>old bitter wasted cunt.
Yer mean loike dohs losers who read supergit funnybooks?

>and how defeating them and getting that stuff out for the world to use became Snow's motivation after his memories came back.

So... literally well over halfway through the series, we're told first how the main villains suck, and there's damn little on just how much they suck until the final confrontation?

>what if pop culture stuff was like real man...and like all connected together....

You mean like LOEG or PJF's Wold Newton stuff, which is where Ellis got the idea from?

I mean I actually like Ennis despite being a bitter cunt, but yes, he looks exactly like what you just described, except going Buzzcut #2 because he doesn't have enough hair to do anything else with.

>Dude looks and writes like an old bitter wasted cunt.

I think he writes like a 13 year old trying to be edgy and dark and shock his parents

Yes, and...?
Moore was a British writer who made a career of taking established characters and making them dark. He was basically a foundation that the whole Vertigo generation was built on.
You're pretty much backing up >>'s point.

>PJF's Wold Newton stuff,
Good old Farmer, who wrote pastiche and pulp in the days when no one did.

Yer not the chuffin' full shillin'?

But that was all classical stuff.

Ellis threw in everything ever while providing no glimpses at all of what normalcy in this for civilians in this world is at all like.

Planetary was supposed to be the secret history of the Wildstorm Universe. Obviously after all the delays and Wildstorm doing their own thing, it became an alternate universe. But he wouldn't have needed to show normalcy for citizens at the time.

You need to read it again. Maybe have somebody help you this time.
The whole point of the issue was summed up in pic related.

Yes, and...?
Oh, I see. You're the kind that needs everything spoonfed to them in the first couple of pages of the first issue.
What are you, just out of Jr High or something?
There were hints of this stuff from the very beginning. You just lack the ability to see it.

Oh gee, like criticizing fashion and saying "what doesn't LOOK funny, ten years later?" is a deep statement about culture.

Jesus fucking christ, I thought better of him than you seem to.

>But that was all classical stuff.
Except for Those 4 LOEG books that showed how things progressed into modern times.
And the Farmer stuff included contemporary things as well. (at least contemporary for him).

>It's too deep for yoooouuuuu!

There were some hints.

They were hamfisted and shitty and only came up upon re-reading, and they made me question if I missed whole damn issues, which I didn't, because the shit came in a torrent.

I'm sorry I'm shitting on your favorite comic or author, user! But now that I *graduated* a damn bachelor's degree in college and have seen decent literary fiction above and beyond the crap they forcefeed you in high school, I kind of think Warren Ellis was crap and wasn't published as a real author until he was goddamn ancient for a reason.

:-^)

So are you like missing the point on purpose now or are you really that thick?

Oh yeah lol
I blocked that from memory
But wasnt it all book stuff and comic strips and what not. Never really superheroes

What Planetary does is actually what I want to see in the DC and Marvel universe, it feel like their main Earths are stuck in this limbo of scientific advance despite there are ton of new technology and resources. Omega Men kind of adressed it in the end, but I doubt it will come up again.

>I *graduated* a damn bachelor's degree in college
Have a dollar; you must be starving.

Damn, nigga, you sure you can sacrifice that much? I mean you're a fucking idiot, it must be harsh out in this cold world you face.

>>It's too deep for yoooouuuuu!
The way you're carrying on and missing the point, the more I believe it is too deep for you. It's like you said
>they made me question if I missed whole damn issues
That's on you friendo.

And Ellis/Planetary are far from being my "favorites". I just think you're either slow, or arguing for the sake of being contrarian.

It wasn't but at the same time, Planetary wasn't solely just superheroes. It had Godzilla, 50's sci-fi b-movies, a version of the LOEG, a stand-in for a Burroughs-esque traveler character, and Jules Verne's From the Earth to the Moon.

You've really blocked out a lot haven't you? Have you met a guy named Dowling?

Seriously. LOEG has referenced/stolen from everything. Books, movies, TV shows, comics...Mina palled around with a group of Superheroes in the 50's.

No dollar for you, young man. Jeez, youth today has lots of courses and degrees but no manners.

The point is if the sting of Thatcherism has been dulled over time, there wouldn't have been people celebrating in the streets after she died and certainly voting patterns like in Scotland would have been closer to their pre-Thatcherite days.

Truth? Mostly I'm just arguing because I think Ellis is a cunt and I don't hold his work in reverence, and once that illusion cracks, it's really damn easy to strike at the weak spots. He's like a fucking video game boss in that regard.

>there wouldn't have been people celebrating in the streets after she died and certainly voting patterns like in Scotland would have been closer to their pre-Thatcherite days.

I specifically ain't gonna argue the latter, but honestly, people were dancing in the streets after Reagan died. That's something I expect to happen after unpopular political leaders die.

So it's a personal thing, and you're just stirring shit to stir shit, and everything you say is pretty much invalid.
Fine. Looks like I'm done with you. You may go now.

And Regan was as fucked up a leader as Thatcher was.

The metaphore really bothers me, because so many seem to think it is true.
When a house burns down you don't blame the survivors.
TV really deserves more of the blame as well- something that the newspaper cartoonist of the 50's totally understood.

>That's something I expect to happen after unpopular political leaders die.

Reagan was insanely popular and won almost every state, revisionist History painted him as some conservative boogeyman that starved children and confined black people to ghettos

Same thing with Thatcher actually

>confirmed 14 year old

>revisionist History

So you just mean regular history?

bruh, 14 year olds don't know what the fuck a reagan or a thatcher is. They just know trump or bernie.

ok this is true

>confirmed 14 year old
You must be. I lived through the Reagan administration. It was bad times for both sides.
He may have been insanely popular, but he was still a shit leader.

He was a great leader, he just led in the wrong direction.

Like Hitler and Stalin?

I didn't even know who Constantine was when I read this 5 years ago, I probably missed 70% or more of the references.

>It was bad times for both sides.He may have been insanely popular, but he was still a shit leader.
oh fuck off
great economy
fall of the soviet union
welfare reform

Were you one of the faggots crying because you couldn't leech off tax payers as much as you could under Carter?

The only thing Reagan did that was pretty dense was "The War on Drugs" that was/is prohibition levels of stupid

Exactly

>Same thing with Thatcher actually

Not true:

79: 44%
82: 42.4%
87: 42.2%

Her electoral victories are more to do with the UK having a FPTP system and three major political parties at that time.

Dude this pic is old.

In this one where he is giving an interview about the Preacher TV show it seems he gained a few pounds.

He lives in Burgerland. Too much McDs.

>He lives in Burgerland
Feckin' Brexit.