Do you consider Song of the South to be racist?

Do you consider Song of the South to be racist?

Everything from the south is racist. We should kill all white people.

Disney should release it from the vault and put it back on dvd or bluray.

everyone knows the world would improve greatly without blacks

It's naive at worst

You just had to bite

No, I don't.

But then I thought Coonskin was a hilarious look at skewed race relations of the 70's instead of a racist piece a lot of people claimed it was so I dunno.

>everyone knows the world would improve greatly without blacks
>Disney should release it from the vault and put it back on dvd or bluray.
Shouldn't it stay in the vault then?

>uncle tom main character
>blatant stereotyping
>lead actor wasn't allowed at the premiere because he was black
Yes, Song of the South is very fucking racist.

Kinda. It's like that sweet little old lady that tries to give her black neighbors fried chicken and watermelon because she honestly believes all black people like that. It's not malicious, but certainly cringe inducing and a product of it's time.

>everyone knows the world would improve greatly without niggers
haha, there ya go user :)

Depends on how you view it as pro-slavery or not. There are valid arguments for and against.

>My Little Strawman: Retardation Is Magic

That sounds less like the film being racist, and more Walt Disney being racist.

>blatant stereotyping
Yeah, I don't like how they made the fox sneaky and cunning. I wish people would stop thinking of foxes like that.

Why do people (Not you) lack the ability to see things as a product of their time? Like, why do people watch Peter Pan and then get offended expecting a movie from the 40's to have your sense of values 60 years later?

It reflects racist attitudes of the time but it's fair for its day and Disney is making a big mistake by not re-releasing it. It's a big part of the history of the company and they shouldn't shy away from it just because history can be ugly at times.

The plate that WB put before some of the old Looney Tunes releases was a good way to handle releases aimed at children with outdated attitudes.

My only problem with WB's plate was the sentence "It was wrong then and wrong today". Wrong? The Looney Tunes shorts used racist caricatures for humor, the same way we do it now in South Park, Aqua Teen, or Boondocks. LT was never suppose to be strictly for kids.

It's a weird "holier than thou" statement to me.

GODDAMNIT I CAN'T ESCAPE FROM POL ANYWHERE

I GO TO PO, RETARDS WHO CANT READ ARE THERE THINKING ITS POL

I COME HERE, AND THER IS BLATANT RACEBAITING BULLSHIT

I GO TO D, HALF THE THREADS ARE ABOUT TRAPS, AND THE OTHER HALF ARE PEOPLE BITCHING ABOUT HOW DEGENERATE TRAPS ARE

i guess the only solution is to turn off my computer and go outside.

To be fair, you can have a mature discussion on whether Song of the South is historically significant enough to deserve a re-evaluation, despite displaying racist social mores typical of the time.

doubt you'd get a mature discussion here though

Yeah kind of since it makes slavery kind of fun and no blacks were allowed to the premier despite the cultural appropriation. It's not very tasteful.

It's still wrong when those cartoons do it today, it's where a lot of the humor stems from.

It's naive. I wouldn't call it all out racist, it didn't feel hateful to me. I feel like people could handle it but now we live in such a "politically correct" world Mom's will freak if it sees the light of day. Yet it's a huge part of our history, much like Birth of a Nation. We should never forget our mistake or else we will repeat them again and again and again. However, unlike Birth of a Nation it seems to show blacks in a positive light.

I just want my blu-ray damn it!

The shows that do it today are satirising those conventions for humour. It's that they're outdated that gives them comic effect.

I just want to see the animated segments in Blu-ray quality. It'd be such an intense inner satisfaction to see that God tier animation at its highest quality.

Too bad the racial controversies will never allow this to happen.

It's not just about moms or political correctness, it's about avoiding a conversation Disney doesn't want to be a part of. We can talk up and down about what's right, what smart is just keeping it locked away.

Actually more like the venue the premiere was held at being racist.
Seth McFarlane can go to hell for this "Disney is a racist/Nazi" crap.

No, Walt was actually kind of racist in a way that may or may not have been standard at the time. He was suspicious and paranoid, especially of his Jewish employees.

>Everything from the south is racist. We should kill all white people.

That's incredibly bigoted. What we need to do is kill all people, regardless of race, creed, color, sexual orientation, gender presentation, diet, or skub and homestuck usage.

I've been desensitized by Sup Forums. Racism, sexism and other offensive things no longer bother me. Gore doesn't bother me either (except when it involves children).

I think I might be becoming detached from humanity, but I don't like it when other people try to harm others.

Sup Forumsmblr

Walt actually thought his Jewish employees were some of the most talented people at the studio and threw a lawyer off the lot for making Anti-Semetic remarks about the Sherman Brothers.

Walt's paranoia was more about thinking that the Union Strike was a Commie plot against him.

By the standards of his time, walt was clearly a progressive.

I would also include antipathy towards the other studio heads in this one.