MARVEL ON SUICIDE WATCH

>Marvel: 40% of our readers are female and our sales are just fine, thanks

comicsbeat.com/marvel-40-of-our-readers-are-female-and-our-sales-are-just-fine-thanks/

>that damage control

Other urls found in this thread:

comicsbeat.com/marvel-40-of-our-readers-are-female-and-our-sales-are-just-fine-thanks/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How is having that many girls reading a good thing? Doesnt that really mean that all of their actual readers (white guys in their 30s-40s with disposable income) have been scared away from their product?

exactly, 40% female readership doesn't have to mean that the readership increased, but rather that male readership decreased.

they kind gloss over the FACT that their total readership is smaller Now (r)(tm), than it was Then (r)(tm)

Any proof on it being smaller? Also technically it accomplishes their goal of wanting new readers, they just failed to keep the old.

>Gabriel also also the question of why “Marvel Now” is coming back — turns out that that name really stuck with partners

Like who?

that interview is depressing as crap as to see what Marvel's focus is actually on. The Sun may never shine again bros.

>Any proof on it being smaller?
comic book sales. Average marvel book is going around 30k-40k monthly.

also mayo reports on cbr tend to analyze the trends.

>implying the average comic reader isn't a full-on Stockholm syndrome faggot

assumptions.

there's such a thing as expanding demographics. there's no reason why superhero comics should belong to "white guys in their 30s-40s with disposable income"(though the disposable income part helps).

There is such a thing, but it's pretty disingenuous to suggest that's actually what happening when we look at the rapidly shrinking comic market in general.

Because it is a pretty shitty business model to fuck over your existing base to go for a base that will spend less money and have fewer readers.

another gem, try not to puke.

>Q:The price on Civil War II #1 was high, relative to standard pricing. How are you making those decisions and what are you seeing in terms of price resistance?

>A:We make a concerted effort to look at the books every month and try to pinpoint books that if we were to increase their page count and give more value and increase the price, is that going to hurt the sales, and is that going to hurt the retailer. We literally do that the week we’re working on the catalogue.

>Q:Do you feel that example (Civil War II #1) was successful?
>A:I think that one was very successful in terms of sell-through. I know people like to think that’s our plan always now. We do #1s, so we’re going to do them on everything. I think $4.99 is a good price. I think $5.99 was also a result of Brian [Michael Bendis] had a larger story to tell that he wanted to get out in one issue. There’s a lot of that. Editors will come in say so-in-so wants to make an issue triple-sized one month because his story is so big. And we say, that’s not a good idea, because when you look at the curve of sales, then we won’t do it. But if there’s something that we can get behind and market and promote, it does very well. For whatever reason, Deadpool at $9.99 sells phenomenally well. And the editor groans when we say we should do another one in a couple of months, because they do very well. They almost double in sales from the regular $3.99 issue.

also to the surprise of no one it looks like Marvel caved and payed Heroic for the Champions name

>Because it is a pretty shitty business model
This is the comics industry, "shitty business model" is the way of life.

>to fuck over your existing base
They're not fucking over anyone. Except characterfags, and characterfags should not be seen or heard.

>alienating your readers
>a good thing because lol character fags

if neck bears spend less money on their shit they will be making less money. Less money is less money.

>neck bears

Good to know Marvel, that you don't give a damn about the rest 60%, that actually is the majority of your readers. Now i won't buy anymore any other Marvel title with clear consience. Most of them are crap anyway,.

I stopped reading Marvel some Months ago. I'm just sick wading through shit to get to the couple of good stories. And I know through a friend that is running a local comicshop that Marvel comic sales have been on a steady decline since some years. At least in his shop. I imagine it being the same in most other places. So of course this is damage control.

>comicsbeat.com/marvel-40-of-our-readers-are-female-and-our-sales-are-just-fine-thanks/

What really amazes me is that he says the 40% figure is "anecdotal" because Marvel doesn't do its own marketing research.

Comic books are such a little fish in the big entertainment pond, they don't even know who their customers are. They base it on guesses, anecdotes and whoever they saw at a LCS last week.

To be fair to him, though, in context he's not saying 40% female is some ideal they're striving for, just that the market has changed and there are more girls buying the comics.

Do you really think leg bears buy as much shit as neck bears? Men make more money than women and there are a lot more single men out there with nothing better to spend their cash on than there are single women.

There are a lot more men in higher paying jobs who are single and have money to burn than there are women in the same circumstance

>Average marvel book is going around 30k-40k monthly.
And how is that out of the orindary?

Jesus Christ.

>technically they reached their goal but have still suffered a significant loss of customers

you're the worst kind of person, i swear

>Average marvel book is going around 30k-40k monthly.

back in MY day those were cancellation numbers

Marvel books used to sell around 60k-80k

>comic sales mattering
>2016
wew lad

well, it's not like we were presented with any data, were we?

Not that marvel gives a shit. But how many of those 30-40K actually get read vs how many are just ordered to get those variant covers?

Women usually area not able to keep or to simply have any hobby so thats not a good thing for marvel.

Define "used to" because comics sales have always fluctuated at different levels. What exact period are you talking about when you say they "used to sell around 60k-80k"?

It took you a while user. I dropped around AvX

Wow this thread. Is there a group more butthurt than white males?

>characterfags
You realize this is 99% of people who read comics, right?

>more men have more money therefore comics sales will increase

Nope.

Holy fucking shit that was painful to read. It's a company run by effete yes-men.

I do think they should change their business model to focus on trades/subscription based apps but I don't think at present time that will make them more money than the floppies. Like maybe after the next collapse we will see an all digital or digital/trades model

You are arguing over semantics, while you should be worried that less people read comics

>Is there a group more butthurt than white males?
white whales?

Yes, every other group is equally butthurt.

It's just that, depending on how you look at it, white males are mocked for complaining and nonwhite nonmales aren't.

>I think $5.99 was also a result of Brian [Michael Bendis] had a larger story to tell that he wanted to get out in one issue.

The first issue where the story was:

-Ulysses is found
-Heroes stop Celestials in a brief fight
-Ulysses is explained
-Shit happens that had to be shown in the FCBD comiic
-Tony mad about Carol not heeding a warning he didn't warn about

All that for $5.99?

Yup you stupid fucking retard. Men make up the majority of the tax base in the USA and women make up the majority of welfare recipients.

Why do you think TV shows want the 18-35 year old male demographic?

Because women take jobs where they make less money and tend to spend their money on things like beauty products, clothing/purses, or kids cause they are single moms

>nobody else is as persecuted as me
>b-but you're all equally butthurt!!!

it matters to the readers to see what's getting printed and general tone of the books.

You saw how Convergence and DCYou tanked

what are you even reading superhero comic books for, you'd be happier sticking with indie movie pitches from the other guys.

The latest moon knight run was the final straw. All this company does is disappoint me now. Just stick to the movies. Everyone else here does, apparently.

Is there any group that has the power to fuck you over like us white males?

>They're not fucking over anyone
Except their writers. Who responded by leaving in droves.

SJWs are still being butthurt over comics even though for years they were specifically catering to them.

What you should say that before Black males will be capable of having enough money to spend it, it will take time. Women are irrelevant, because they rarely are interested in anything outside of themselves

Are X-Fags the only people that read Marvel?

Mocking isn't persecution, it's just that when a white male complains about nonexistent persecution, it's funny, and when a nonwhite nonmale complains about nonexistent persecution, it's taken seriously.

So the "ZOMG Marvel is pandering to SJWs" isn't necessarily better or worse than the "ZOMG this comic insults some minority group" outrage that's taken over a lot of comics coverage. It's just that more people take the latter seriously.

If you weren't butthurt, you wouldn't be replying

Yeah from 2012 till now there have been close to a dozen writers, in addition to artists, that just bailed due to the editorial cancer.

White Martians

Well, they are about to be extinct too, given how much marvel shits on them

>>Any proof on it being smaller?
Global numbers did NOT increase. They didn't really gained numbers since a few years ago, which means either:
A. they always had massive amounts of female readers(unlikely)
B. they lost male readers

Nah man. Those groups have actual issues to worry about. White males are on the top and yet always envision everything as an attack on them. Just look at this thread. "Marvel is gaining female readers? This hurts me as a white male for reasons!". Of course white males are mocked for complaining because every other group can see it's bullshit.

And I say this as a white male.

Black men make up like 7% of the population and are almost all in jail or unemployed/in dead end jobs. They aren't a significant demographic to make shit if you want to sell shit to someone

The big demographic if you want to sell a hobby in the USA is to unmarried white men

Look kid, they've pandered to white men for 50+ years, the reader base has clearly maxed out. It doesn't matter if every male suddenly has $1000 magically appear in his wallet, almost nobody's going to spend that money on comics if they haven't done it before

Do you need me to explain the rest, or can you follow logic, boy?

>you have to be a characterfag to enjoy superheroes.

Wow.

Hahaha and you fucks thought disney taking over was a good idea.

That's nice, honey. Please make sure to take out the trash before mommy gets home and can make you some chicken nuggies.

Wrong.

>X-men are a metaphor for white males
And we have come full circle.

Fuck off Carl. Everyone hates the white man, but when push comes to shove they all know we are the only ones capable of getting any shit done or saving the world or anything

> Those groups have actual issues to worry about.
Like what? What mascare to use today?

>Claiming Marvel will get better in a few years.
> " This is just a second 90s."
Fuck this, the Big two will be the Big one within 10 years.

>White males
>Having the power to fuck anyone over in 2016

Keep dreaming.
The only complaining I see is from white dudes screaming about a nonexistent SJW boogeyman and diversity because comic book companies realized they profit more by pandering to more groups than just white neckbeards.

Who unironically reads american capeshit these days in general anyway?

>Except characterfags
There is no reason to read the big two unless you're a characterfag. Reading Marvel for the stories is like reading Playboy for the articles.

You

Haha tell that to sweden ahahahah

And what I said, is that it's not going to happen soon. There are also chinks, but they prefer manga

I read Uncanny X-Men and Memesion

>boogeyman boogeyman

yeah, besides those freaks that just got into comics and love the Avengers.

Women don't have hobbies and obviously aren't supporting media designed for them as seen by how much ghost busters flopped or how >girls play games too where they account for over 50% of players but less than 10% of money spent

Marvel was always more popular with women than DC with the exception of Batman. News at 11.

it's been about 500k/issues a month smaller this year than last year

DC has been down even on last year right up until last month, and it remains to be seen whether they've genuinely increased sales

if it really meant that they'd replaced lost readers, it would mean they were getting basic publishing right in a way that DC seems to have failed to do - if those extra sales relate to former, disgruntled older white male readers coming back to DC, then it's still a good thing (for Marvel) because they probably have a younger median demo (more future sales) and their sales are about where they should be, while it's bad for DC because they'd have to pander to an older, very particular demo which explicitly does want to exclude other demos from "their" comics

i'd be interested to see the study Marvel is quoting or know where they arrived at that percentage, but it doesn't seem unlikely; the last one i know of was a piece DC commissioned that basically confirmed their major buyers (those who average more than one book a week) are smack dab in the middle of Heart Attack City eating a big greasy burger and drinking heavy cream to wash it down, but that was way back in 2010/11

the problem for both publishers is that after a certain point, older readers are leaving because they're dead, and you really can't get them back; it used to be (even well into the 1990s) that they were replaced by younger readers, but as comics have come to be more "mature" and other media have eaten up the time and income of potential younger readers, that's been harder to maintain, leading to a market that fluctuates wildly in both unit sales and dollar value year to year

tl;dr they sell copies, which is all any publisher cares about

I think that because of the actual issues, those groups are taken seriously even when they're complaining about bullshit.

So it's harder to see the amusement value in privileged young people who have never experienced racism in their lives, complaining about some comic book as if it triggers them, based on history they never experienced.

It's a little more obviously silly when white males do it, though a white male could have more of a history of ethnic persecution than someone who isn't white, but the point is just that "they aren't pandering to me" isn't really much better depending on who's saying it.

Lmfao is this some sort of joke?

Why do you have this self-hating view? "White" (defines this before you fucking use it you giant imbecile) people are a minority on this planet, and they have the right to free speech like anyone else who lives in a western nation that abides by free speech as outlined by Voltaire.

Granted, this isn't an attack on white people (it's just a fucking statistic, but the general direction Marvel is going is most definitely a move away from representing that group of people. not an attack, but most definitely an active move by Marvel to disenfranchise them), but you are the absolute worst kind of person. Somebody who illogically hates or resents the position of people of his kind. Kill yourself.

t. Mexican

>Spiderfags
>"I love Bendis' Deadpool, I'll read his Iron Man"
>quirkygirlfags that buy Gwenpool or whatever the fuck latest fad is
>"women" and their Hellcat and Squirrel Pig
Oh, there are many buyers.

The reader base shrank. There is no new blood.
Kids think that comics suck, and looking at marvel Now, I'm inclined to agree with them

But, they're not gaining female readers, they're losing male readers.

Isn't it interesting how statistics can prove opposing points? I think it's interesting anyway.

Nice argument faggot

I read Old shit.

The lemire run is dope as hell.

I mostly read 80s stuff

>says they will let sales do the talking
>sales figures are plummeting

Is this interview old or are these ppl just idiots?

we have all the guns and all the money

>Deadpool
Silly me, Daredevil.

There are any? Or was that supposed to be a sarcastic post?

It's a new interview, he's talking about Civil War 2.

Based on what? Where do you get your numbers? Marvel/Disney don't release those numbers, so tell me.

>Bendispool
>every issue
culminates in the retelling of the EXACT same joke to some new character

desu I'd read it

>muh wage gap myths
>muh everything rape
>dindu nuffins we is good bois
>actual issues

Sweden, a white nation that saved and uplifted thousands of nonwhites from civil wars and terrible economic conditions?

It wont happen ever. They have a massive abortion rate and they don't have fathers. They've been what they are for hundreds of years in the USA and it isn't going to change any time soon

If only you could trade those rotten tomato critics in for actual fans.
Oh well.

>the rest 60%, that actually is the majority of your readers

>all men are a single cohort

did it not occur to you that the reason there are so many different titles is because different people want different things to you, or are you one of those fabled creatures that reads everything?

there's still a few such unicorns out there *buying*, you know; even if they represented just 100 individuals, they'd account for a significant chunk of the market each year, and losing them is what any sane publisher would care about - but they wouldn't lose them over something as trivial as the content of their titles

DC did have a study done a few years back, but it was only concerned with DC comics (old, white, upper middle, 4.2 family size, homeowner, two cars.. you get the picture)

I am not a white dude and personally if Marvel were selling their comics here on monthly basis, I would've stopped buying them long time ago.

I dont hate myself. I'm just not some cuck who wants to play victim when I know I have it good. As a white male, my issues are insinficant to a woman/minority and this is a fact. You say whites are a minority on this planet and I bet you'd go to Sup Forums and complain about how minorities are emigrating to "superior white nations".

But getting back on topic, it's silly for you guys to complain about this news.

Well, where do THEY get the numbers? Because their evidence is anecdotal

I believe them when they say part of this is driven by sales success. It's absolutely true that making Thor a woman helped the book sell better, it doesn't matter whether it's good or not.

So because Bendis failed miserably to make Tony Stark as popular as he is in the movies, they're replacing him with knockoffs of some of their sales successes: replace him with a girl (Thor) a minority (Ultimate Spider-Man) and a villain (Superior Spider-Man).

The interesting question is what sales gimmicks have failed. Inhumans, I assume.

>gaymer gate arguments

Fuck, I've been trolled all along.