My pitch for a deep sea, Eldritch horror film

>movie opens up on a flashback to 1940, on the Thule Society making an expedition to the Antarctic.
>the Nazis are digging up some strange artifact from the ice, it looks like some sort of container.
>they pry it open and inside is a lever, one of the Nazis cranks it and it causes a massive reverberation and cracks the ice open.
>shit goes silent for a few minutes until you hear low rumbles beneath the layers of ice under them, then large tentacles slowly emerge.
>parts of some giant beast crawl out from the broken ice.
>cuts to black.
>flash forward to the year 2050, to a marine biologist getting a call from a joint UN marine research facility to call him in based on both his work on deep sea aquatic life and how his father helped build the first ever deep ocean sealab facility.
>he is called in in regards to questions about the lab.
>audiences find out that the lab had lost contact with the surface 15 years ago and there was no funding available to send a rescue team down hundreds of miles below the ocean outside the use of drones, that kept getting destroyed.

(Cont.)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/zWH_9VRWn8Y
lovecraftzine.com/2015/11/16/teasertrailer-for-the-upcoming-the-shadow-over-innsmouth-film/
youtube.com/watch?v=oIeR7uTqEQY&ab_channel=EpicHeavenMusic
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

(Cont.)
>the technology needed to reach the lab is expensive and takes years, hence the delay.
>they tell marine biologist character A how they finally finished replicating the same submarine vessel they used during the initial sealab building.
>they put together a team and head down.
>from here on out, it's a psychological drama like Alien under the sea.
>they reach the facility and manage to get the life support working again.
>they open incomplete data that shows catalogues of awesome sea creatures they found.
>main character does some digging, realizes how close to the Antartic they are, doesn't care too much...doesn't think that's a big deal.
>they find a survivor hiding in closed off parts of the lab.
>it's his father.
>he's a babbling madman, speaking in German. Son knows he has German ancestry but just thinks his dad is mad.
>need to recover power cells from a shut down portion of the lab, ends up opening a secret shaft into a room filled with. Nazi shit.
>turns out, neo Nazis from an underground Thule remnant infiltrated the team used to build the sealab.
>his dad starts killing people aboard the sealab.
>their presence irks some sort of giant sea animal outside.
>son finds the artifact seen earlier in the prologue.
>sealab is falling apart due to his crazy dad fucking up life systems.
>takes the artifact and tries to navigate a one man craft to fuck out of there.
>last scene is an extended sequence of an Eldritch beast surfacing from slumber to the track of Metallica's Call of Cthulhu.
>fades to black

>flash forward to future, most people are nonwhite.

You lost me and most audiences

is the marine biologist the pinguin from that hertzog docu

I never saw that.

Start is good, your ideas went to shit the second they arrived at the facility. Submarine horror and nazi pro log sounds solid though, 6/10 in its currrent state dont feel too bad though 6/10 is what id give interstellar.

Why is it shit when it gets to the facility? I was thinking of an Alien "trapped on a vessel" vibe once down there, to make it claustrophobic.

Here's mine.
>movie trailer
>WHAT IF CTHULU WASN'T JUST A STORY
>ear shattering fart noise
>full frontal shot of Cthulu rising from the sea with water streaming off of its body
>black screen
>coming 2018

>movie
>opening shot is Cthulu rising out of the water
>movie is 2 hours and 45 minutes of Cthulu destroying a city
>ending is Cthulu standing over the leveled city roaring at the sky

I mean, you'd get the autistic demographic for sure.

why not a disney pixar animation with the hero being a pinguin

One day, someone will have the courage to make this. Right now, we still have this meme of dramatic credibility to dispose of where the monster-stomp genre is concerned. The latest Godzilla movie contained more dialogue scenes than Glengarry Glen Ross. I don't understand why this is, but it is. When will they learn that all we want is an epic smashfest?

Dont ruin it by adding innacraft suspense. If it were me id take advantage of Submechanophobia (fear of underwater things, not neccesarily methulu) and have tons of wide as fuck camera angles that show the vulnerability and remoteness of the submarine / divers. Also try to really capture how uncomfortable it is in a submarine.
and for the love of god, dont actually show methulu, you may give hints and tentacles out the coner of the eye but never directly.

I don't want a Cthulu "smash" fest. I want a spooky, slow burn psychological horror.

Also remember it is really fucking dark underwater, if possible try to get actual divers and shark attack victims to be your film advisors.

>and have tons of wide as fuck camera angles that show the vulnerability and remoteness of the submarine / divers. Also try to really capture how uncomfortable it is in a submarine.
I thought about this in terms of cinematography and maybe it wasn't clearly lined out in the synopsis but it would be what I want.

I could go for Submechanophobia on a stationary underwater facility down in the darkness of the deep ocean.

This, underwater shit is just plain spoopy, doesnt even need methulus.

Cthulu's psychology is unknowable. Unknowable.

the nazi remnant stuff that starts taking place seems out of place and unnecessarily complex, scrap that and simplify it somehow while keeping the nazi part at the beginning. Doesn't need the full shot of the monster either at the end. Make the entire thing a lot more concise, have the artifact be an incomprehensible object that drives people insane, frame it like the monoliths in 2001. Maybe hint at a monster but no full on shots. The dad can still be down there and insane I suppose.

Me thinks you shouod skip the cthulu and nazi shit and go straight for the "hyper realistic, tense and scary as fuck industrial diving accident rescue mission simulator"

That's not what was meant.

What does any of this tedium have to do with Cthulu?

Why do I want human psychology when I can see Cthulu fuck a metropolis to pieces?

>what does an undersea Eldritch horror have to do with Cthulu?
Because's he's hinted at all throughout the film, dingus.

That sounds somewhat boring as a horror, besides there has literally never been a deep sea horror with Cthulu.

or how about a rearch submarine panic simulator in the style of 127 hours with people going sea crazy so the cthulu shit doesnt seem out of place. Also tons of this shit...
These freak the fuck out of me for some reason.

But it's not Eldritch in your synopsis, it has no spark of the uncanny about it, just many hours of interpersonal conflict to no end. It's like a no-stakes Das Boot with the promise of Cthulu, which is never really kept. If you end the movie on a glimpse after 40 hours of SyFy-tier single set argument-scene padding, people will rip up the seats.

>guy 1 staring out window
>hears whispering
>sees shit moving
>panic ensues
IVE GOTTA GET OUTTA HERE!!!
>goes to open hatch
GUY 1 NO!!!
>guy 2 pulls guy 1 away from hatch
>que submarine fight

Cthulu is an Eldritch horror you dolt. You act like psychological horror isn't a thing that can be written well.

Cthulu isn't in your movie until the last shot. Psychological horror is fine, but if Cthulu is in your movie, you should use him. Your proposal is a Schumacher-Bane-tier squandering. This guy knows how it should be done:

>Your proposal is a Schumacher-Bane-tier squandering.
Fuck off with your memespeak.

This is a goldmine of shit, 10/10 laugh material

>oxygen running out
>guy 2 looks at window
>sees face
>starts screaming
>guy 1 trues to calm guy 2
>guy 2 goes into full blown meth panic

The less he's shown, the better.

It's not memespeak - you want to waste Cthulu on a talky movie about some cocksuckers in a submarine. That is on par with how Batman and Robin used Bane as a comic henchman.

Bullshit. We've waited all this time, it's time to see something meaty.

This, I would pay to see underwater 127 hours with even more hallucinations and freaking out, 2 people makes it so you can have some dialouge.

>a talky movie about some cocksuckers in a submarine
Yes, it's a slow burn psychological horror.

The BP oilspill deep sea cam was kino

But why should we want to sit through that when you're promising us Cthulu? You can't spend millions of dollars to troll people, if you say Cthulu's going to be in it and you don't deliver, you will bankrupt your entire venture.

>why didn't they show the Jaws shark for the entire movie?
It ruins any payoff to focus on him.

I'd watch.

Jaws appears consistently and at dramatically appropriate times, and he's not Cthulu. Cthulu means destruction. Nobody will sit through an underwater retread of The Keep for a few seconds of Cthulu. I want to see him lay waste to all.

Jaws does not appear consistently you retard

>guy 1 and 2 realise theyre not getting out of this alive
>they take off their wedding rings
>que brokeback mountain

>I want a big dumb action schlock with Cthulu
Yeah, no thanks. Part of his mythos is the study of madness.

He appears at dramatically appropriate points in the structure of the film. It's not an entire movie of people masturbating and then a brief glimpse of the shark tee-heeing on the horizon.

I feel like you never saw Jaws.

lads what are some kino lovecraftian horrors??

No, I want pure cinema. I assume your favorite parts of Godzilla movies are the padding scenes of people in offices.

Cthulu will induce madness as I see it. The movie the other user suggests, I picture as having people occasionally react, and we'll see their derangement. But briefly, it'll be punctuation. Sudden insane screams of extreme horror.

Yes, I saw Jaws. Do you feel that the shark's appearances in that movie *aren't* dramatically appropriate?

You guys do realise OP isnt a director and doesnt have any money?

If I didn't know OP was b8ing, I'd be worried for him.

It's a hypothetical situation, but if he ever wanted to pitch this - and why not, we all have dreams - he'd need to have something that would draw dimes.

>the marine biologist is the pinguin from that hertzog docu
Basing a Lovecraft story around that penguin would be a million times better than OP's garbage idea.

They rarely show the shark you fucking autistic retard because they couldn't get the robot to work so it rarely comes up on screen. You are absolutely fucking stupid.

God damnit now I want to watch this movie that will never be made.

>I need Transformers with Cthulu

It doesn't suffer from a lack of shark action whatever the behind-the-scenes reason. Cthulu is something different.

>Spielbergs original concept if the damn technology wasnt holding him back.

The Void is pretty great.

Get a life you pasty fat loser.

youtu.be/zWH_9VRWn8Y

>It doesn't suffer from a lack of shark action whatever the behind-the-scenes reason
Yea, it literally does you loon.How do you not know that?

No, the Transformers films have far too many superfluous scenes with human characters, but you're thinking along the right lines. When Cthulu emerges from the sea, we're in a post-human situation, and the movie should play that straight or not exist. Transformers + Cloverfield - plucky survivors bullshit is about where we want to go. Shots of people bearing their teeth and literally voiding their bowels in ancient, nameless terror is the way to go with the human element. This could be one of the great movies of this century, a landmark of the medium, if it was given to a director with the courage to make it.

>Transformers + Cloverfield
Please fucking stop.

Stop b8ing, Jaws doesn't need more shark. Only a total nimrod would think that.

The dash after Cloverfield is actually a minus sign, I should clarify. Cloverfield WITHOUT the plucky survivors bullshit.

I never said that it does, faggot.

Then why did you call me a "loon" for saying that it didn't suffer from a lack of shark action? It literally didn't suffer, it's great as it is.

>hyper realistic, tense and scary as fuck industrial diving accident rescue mission simulator"
2spooky4me
Make it lovecraftian by modernizing Shadow Over Innsmouth. Instead of fishing, they're drilling for oil, or mining the sea floor, or salvaging wrecks. The MC is a newb or a reporter or something.
The underlying horror of the original story was the secret that the townsfolk (wasps) has been breeding with the fish people (Foreigners), and dun dun dun, the main character was actually descended from one of the townies. That kind of perspective isn't as acceptable in the Current Year, so maybe something boring, like human sacrifices, could be used instead.

KINO

Because the movie literally was supposed to have more shark footage, on a technical level.

>movie
>opening shot is Cthulu rising out of the water
>movie is 2 hours and 45 minutes of Cthulu destroying a city
>ending is Cthulu standing over the leveled city roaring at the sky

>*WARNER BROS.*
>*LIONS GATE*
>Shot of atlantis, on its walls; Egyptian Hyeroglyphics that show Cthulu
>INNSMOUTH HOTEL, there are thugs who are conceald in very heavy clothing
>Large, hooded thug pulls down his hood to reveal that he is a giant CGI shark man with reptile eyes
>Military troops are shooting cgi starfish monsters on the coastline, cops and swat are trying to take out fish people, stronk womyn is beating up green-frog-like-hybrids
>That weird slomo bwuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu- and an underwater explosion sound as a tomb is being destroyed
>Submarine is approaching a huge crevace made in the tomb, as tentacles comes out to that psudeo slo-mo st-st-st-st-studder stop, grabbing the sub.
>all leads previously shown in the movie is now stopping whatever their doing as looking at the camera,
>Ear shattering fart noise as Cthulu rises out of the water
>Donald Trump is ebil, him and his frog minions have the NecroCon (shortened for ease of digestion), trying to ctrulu cthulu
>Cthulu roars into the camera for a full 10 seconds, glass shattering and all
>Drumpf hair
>As Cthulu is about to smash the camera
>SUMMER 2018 SEE IN IMAX 3D

I think the people in the distance maybe, catching a small glimpse, could be shown in Pompeii-style last minute desperate fucking - this could add the raunch a commercial movie needs, or could even take a morbid turn if we stay true to the madness caused by the merest glimpse. So a guy looking out from a clifftop house some distance away sees Cthulu in the distance, and starts to rape his dog, his mouth frothing, and we see in his eyes he's completely GONE. People dashing their heads to pieces on the ground. I mean, this would be done in a few seconds here, a few seconds there, a net picture of horrible insane carnage, and then we'd get back to the main event - Cthulu.

But why bring that up when what I said is true and you don't even disagree? Are you autistic?

>guy 1 dies first
>guy 2 sobbing in corner
>guy 2 looks over at guy 1
>guy 1 raises his head and looks at guy 2 with an unatural head movement
>guy 2s starts doing creepy fucked up shit that i cant think of
>guy 1 is screaming
>guy 1 is back up against the wall
>shot of guy 1 loosing his shit followed by shot of guy 1 being perfectly still and dead
>cuts back to guy 1 screaming for help
>immediatley goes silent as it cuts to wide out view of sub lights illuminating a spot of seabed in pitch black on ocean floor

Because the argument was literally if the movie was meant to have more shark footage...

No it wasn't, I never raised that issue in any way, shape or form. I'm talking about the movie that exists, as structured.

>>Donald Trump is ebil, him and his frog minions have the NecroCon (shortened for ease of digestion), trying to ctrulu cthulu
>>Cthulu roars into the camera for a full 10 seconds, glass shattering and all
>>Drumpf hair

They'd do this, wouldn't they?

The point is that nobody is stronk with Cthulu. CTHULU is the last thing you ever fucking see. He's night. He puts your shit to sleep with no comeback. You are ashes on the ground.

god that sucks I bet it could get made though

there was that Indie Innsmouth adaption a couple of years back that I can find nothing new about

lovecraftzine.com/2015/11/16/teasertrailer-for-the-upcoming-the-shadow-over-innsmouth-film/

>No it wasn't
Holy shit bud. This isn't even a secret, the shark prop they got was barely working and technical problems fucked up the shoot so Spielberg filmed around it and used what he could.

You are seriously a fucking autist.

Please let it be camera lense glass breaking effect.

Hello, Sup Forums. I love your story idea! it sounds so "fuarken epic" and "cuhrayzee". Take all my money!!! haha

>Silent pan of the ocean
>This starts playing youtube.com/watch?v=oIeR7uTqEQY&ab_channel=EpicHeavenMusic
>"Imagine a world"
>shot of underwater city
>"where we weren't the first"
>fart noise, stone cracking
>"to arrive here"
>A huge eye can be seen through a crevice
>tracking shot of a helicopter
>"we've got company boys" crackles over the radio
>gun fire, grenades exploding
>Cthulhu rises from the ocean
>shots of destroyed city
>close up shot of the protagonist with an rpg
>"ia ia this you son of a bitch"
>rocket zooming towards cthulhus scared face
>explosion
>"THE"
>deep one rising out of the water being shot at by US troops
>"CALL"
>navy seals dropping into desert shooting at nyarlathotep
>"OF"
>nerdy character reading the necronomicon looking surprised
>"CTHULHU"
>coming november 8th

>WAHHH it sucks
I don't know why I bothered to share with a board that thinks the Star Wars prequels are masterpieces and that Citizen Kane sucks.

The "No it wasn't" referred to the fact that this information wasn't at issue, the issue is that the film uses the shark at the right moments for maximum effect. What matters is what's on the screen, and if nobody had mentioned those problems, nobody would have thought the movie was playing for time or padding around them, it works as a film.

People are giving you actual advice faggit, and theyre telling you to make a movie about sub trapped on ocean floor with hullucintaions and spoopy shit.

Fuck yes.

kek, but seriously, there's not going to be a *rises from the wreckage, blinking* moment with Cthulu.

It does suck though. Are you fucking 15?

>the issue is that the film uses the shark at the right moments for maximum effect.
I am trying to explain how this wasn't an intentional choice for the film.

Use your words then.

>nazis
>it was his dad
>clover field ending
>Metallica
>doesn't suck

just watch hellboy, you probably like shit like that

>Hellboy was bad
>(((tips)))

I'm trying to explain that yes, it was, because what they shot and how they edited it involved hundreds of choices that made it work as a film when it easily couldn't have. Instead of mindlessly repeating famous production lore, try devoting some attention to how films are made.

>80s Metallica sucks
Neo-Sup Forums is full of retarded kids.

hellboy is just capeshit

As much as it pains me to say, the only director who could pull of a good c'thulu mythos movie is Michael Bay.

It's the badass music following a cocksucking movie that makes it suck as a pitch. Like if they'd played "War Pigs" at the end of My Dinner with Andre.