What are the odds The Wachowski's stole the idea of The Matrix? Anything post the first movie shows a steep decline in...

What are the odds The Wachowski's stole the idea of The Matrix? Anything post the first movie shows a steep decline in....everything.

Other urls found in this thread:

lecter.org/forum/showthread.php?t=248
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_on_a_Wire
electrolund.com/2004/10/matrix-city-a-photographic-comparison-of-the-matrix-and-dark-city/
youtube.com/watch?v=gt9HkO-cGGo
youtube.com/watch?v=De9bpbXBg-4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No, they were genuinely creative, their minds got fucked by a dominatrix, some truly fucked up shit apparently and they became uncreative garbled mess of human beings

a lot of it borrows heavily from Neuromancer by William Gibson.

that book is messy and not very good despite having a lot of cool ideas. it seems like the wachowski's read it, took the good ideas, repackaged them, and then made the matrix.

The Matrix is a Ghost in the Shell ripoff m8

Grant Morrison said they ripped off his comic Invisibles, and let's be fair, it's full of homages and nods to other stuff, Ghost in the Shell, Total recall, Terminator etc etc

Even if the ideas aren't their own all the shots and angles with very little cuts still can't be matched

Alex Jones said it was based off a DOD white paper that talked about future war tech.

please explain further

Only the imagery is ripped off, everything else is their own garbage

Maybe the people helping them making the movies just got really weirded out by them and stopped working with them for p2/3.

lecter.org/forum/showthread.php?t=248

yep, molly is literally trinity, and case is literally neo. morpheus fulfills the role of armitage, allthough armitage was basically a zombie, so they're different in character of course.

Would you, Sup Forums?

remember: if you wouldn't, you're transphobic

The thing that made The Matrix successful, in my opinion, wasn't so much the concept but the execution. It mixes a lot of the best fighting techniques from Asian movies and mixes it up with the best special effects from Hollywood. It's a "best of both worlds" kinda thing, mixed up with some great zeitgeist aesthethics (the music and look of the characters) and it turns up as a unique movie, not only in the Wachowski's filmography, but in general.
Sure, it's not really original, but the way they mixed up all the elements was great and hasn't been matched. Most of the ripoffs totally dropped the ball when it came to the fighting.

As other people pointed out, the plot is a changed-up Neuromancer, even to the point of ripping of the concept of "The matrix" from the novel and the imagery is ripped straight from Ghost in the Shell.

They pretty much combined the two, having the neural cable from GiTS connect you to the matrix, and they added their own SJW agenda to it (the last city being called Zion, everyone being mixed race, etc).

That's why the sequels were so lackluster, when they amped their own nonsensical elements and the plot/imagery of the original works was spent.

The Wachowski's were always hacks. To see what their work is like when they are not ripping off the creations of better men just watch Cloud Atlas and Jupiter ascending.

>redpillfluid

Man that hallway shootout will never stop being cool

God damn that lobby scene pisses me off with how much it copies GitS but forgets all of the weight or pacing. No slow mo bullshit, just amazing animation, direction and music.

Because it never was cool to begin with?
Its nonsensical, it'd make more sense if the cops were shooting arrows with bows and those dodging maneuvers might make more sense.

>the dodging in the fake reality in the future dominated by robots was not realistic enough

It's a direct rip off of The Invisibles by Grant Morrison. They even passed around the comics on set and some of the scenes are almost storyboarded from it.

they stole wholesale from animes like ghost in the shell and akira. dark city also came out a year before it, but that was probably too late for them to crib anything from.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_on_a_Wire
Today I will remind them.

Pretty interesting. Anything similar from more recent years? What happened to the other brother?

The odds are 100%, they took "inspiration" from many sources.

The key to successfully Jewing everyone and becoming successful is to take as much "inspiration" from as many different vaguely connected (by common theme) sources as possible and throw them into a semi-cohesive easily digested package. This is how the Matrix was made and how to be a successful, no talent, no ideas hack without being accused of plagiarism (at least until a situation like now where the odd savvy person can realize you were a fraud the entire time, like the OP or others in this thread).

Always the same "its magic setting so absolutely nothing needs to make sense or follow the rules within said setting".
INTERNAL CONSISTENCY

>no talent
Even if they totally plagiarized the Matrix scene for scene from another source it was shot and edited very well, which really is the basis for its success. The visual effects were kind of groundbreaking.

They don't hold up to much scrutiny today. No wonder they were parodied to hell and back.

Neuromancer
Ghost in the Shell
The Invisibles
World on Wire
Alice in Wonderland
New Testament

Anything missing Sup Forums?

So what, maybe they are hacks and rip off artists, but give them a break, okay?

Think of the joy and amazement you felt sitting in that theater in 1999 or whenever the fuck it was, seeing that epic conclusion and having "Directed By: The Wachowski Sisters" come up in that trademark Matrix font, tell me that movie experience wasn't one of the coolest in your lives. At least they gave you that. You need to look back on the good too.

I believe that they were once really good directors, and then when they started taking hormones to fulfill their transgender fantasies their creativity went with it.

because none of those were inspired by anything.

They're literally in a computer generated simulation world where they have learned how to expand their powers far beyond normal people and can literally download techniques like flying helicopters and kung-fu right to their brains, did you even watch the fucking movie?

Every John Woo movie

Explain a technique that allows you to not get hit by bullets when you move at human speeds and bullets move at bullet speeds.

Probably slowly coaxed into the same shit after some time, seeing as how close they are

>dodging some bullets and doing some cool tricks in a fake world is too much for some autist to handle before he spergs out
lmao

>implying they move at regular human speeds
>implying they don't get hit

They did steal it, out of my mind! I had this idea years before the matrix. They're thieving fucks I tell ya.

They moved faster than bullets, hence the bullet-time meme

That part was specifically him gaining the skill of dodging bullets. He didnt do that before that fucking scene. He was praised for his sudden realization of this fucking skill.
The movement showed him in bullet time, unlike in the hallway scene.

They were ugly men and make ugly women.

It defo ripped off grant Morrison filer the first hour or so. There's abit where the mentor asks the guy to jump off a skyscraper, it's undoubtedly taken heavily from it.

You're retarded, the matrix is sophisticated virtual reality, the point IS that it's not real. Are you having an existential crisis everytime you play a videogame?

They had tons of cover from the support beams throughout the hallway and were far more skilled in the use of firearms and fighting techniques over a bunch of cops, I don't know how else I can explain it to you further if you can't just enjoy a cool scene.

>copying Neuromancer and degenerate animu

Yeah the matrix is a scattershot collection of works before it. I thought this was clear from the beginning.

BREAKING: Bad guys in movie have terrible aim. MORE AT 11.

I always wondered how they shot off the wall bits like that

Unless you didn't pay attention at all when watching the film, the entire point of Neo as a character was his enhanced ability to break the rules of the matrix. To put it in terms a simpleton can understand, he hacked the video game. Considering how low brow this film is if you can't follow such a simple story you should look into going back to school.

Why wouldn't Agents install aimbot on the people protecting the most important prisoner they possess? wtf I hate the movie now.

Much better.

I'm guessing loads of tiny explosives behind the tiles.

>can't even see shit

pretty sure it was just small explosive charges placed in the wall. IIRC on the behind the scenes stuff they said it took them something like two weeks to shoot that sequence because of all the setup each shot required.

yea it's almost like it was intended or something and made sense in context. Crazy, right?

Those shots are superbly composed, even if it's easier in animation.

stole? they bought tgat scriot kegally for $1000. keke

Its pretty funny when the robot with software and automated turret has the bad guy aim.

The agents had a major case of hubris from ruling over the humans for so long that they assumed they could easily take them out using their own kind against them (I mean just look at how easily they almost destroyed the resistance by turning Cypher against them with an offer of living out a lie).

There's a guy piloting the robot.

it's a tank, there's crew in it

Of course they did Cloud Atlas... why wouldn't they do Cloud Atlas

He literally hits where he is aiming every time, it's just that Motoko is a literal robot with superhuman reflexes and speed.

makes me realize, they could've just went inside the matrix with a bunch of nukes and set them off.

>everyone in the matrix dies
>primary power/computing source of the machines gone
>when they rebuild, just do it again

I don't understand your comment, user.

>tgat scriot kegally
You have really fat fingers.

Cloud Atlas is a fucking terrible movie. It makes sense the wachowski's did it

If they stole it at least they made it better

Dark City, Ghost in the Shell, and countless others laid the frame work of these movies

Explain this

it's too long and the concept could have been worked out better, but it's not terrible imo

The list of people the Wack bros did not rip off is shorter.
For one thing, it looks like Proyas had shopped the script and storyboards for his Dark City to all the major studios, and some producers attached to the Wack bros passed that material on to them for ripoff.
Shot by shot comparison of the two films here: electrolund.com/2004/10/matrix-city-a-photographic-comparison-of-the-matrix-and-dark-city/
It's pretty damning.

u dont have the brains 2 understand the wachowskis

That movie is a mess, user. From top to bottom. They wanted to direct a grandiose all-encompasing story for the ages and overestimated their capacities.

This plus a helping dose of Joseph Campbell.

Though in the case of The Invisibles it's really poetic justice, considering how much Morrison stole from Illuminatus! and Jerry Cornelius to make it.

Dark City came out around the same time.

I imagine the machines had some sort of failsafe program to prevent that from happening, also weren't the humans still plugged into the machines at the very end of the series?

>What are the odds The Wachowski's stole the idea of The Matrix
100%
From 'The Invisibles', by Grant Morrison.

Super interesting; I knew what happened at a high level, but not in such detail. I thought he was "turned" by the dominatrix, but this really makes it seem more like he decided to do it himself and she just went with it for security and to get out of the business.

Who knows, she could have genuinely fallen in love with him. She was married to fucking Buck Angel for god's sake.

>Nobody here has seen Dark City
youtube.com/watch?v=gt9HkO-cGGo

They stole the green color motif, the virtual world changing, the score, the agents, the sentries.... Ghost in the shell they took tight suits, the shoot out, Neuromancer they stole Molly, and there are others besides this.

oh it's far from great, I know. I guess my definition of a terrible movie is just different from yours

they definitely overestimated their capabilities but I respect the attempt

eww gross
>they look so british

>Nobody here has seen Dark City
maybe you should read the thread nextime before you scoff at the quarrels and inferior knowlegde of mere mortals aloof neckbeard san

And from Run Lola Run, Larry Wachowski stole his sexual identity.

>Ghost in the shell they took tight suits, the shoot out

user, The matrix's entire aesthetic is taken from Ghost in the shell, even the neck cable thing that plugs you into the matrix.

youtube.com/watch?v=De9bpbXBg-4

my foot is in my mouth

They also mistook Motoko's navelgazing for being bland and emotionless.

they should have just let the wachowskis direct ghost in the shell, i feel like they love the property enough not to fuck it up

>at least until they start injecting their usual nonsense philosophy like with all their failed movies

We can agree to disagree I guess.

Apparently the "redpill" is actually from a metal song.

those also appear in Dark City, and are really a contemporary future sci-fi staple

>they became uncreative
they're still creative as fuck
they get bogged down in their own world-generation, sure, but everything they've made since the matrix is fucking creative that much is certain.

Even OP's question is moronic at its base: assuming the script wasn't theirs at all what's on display in that movie is a fucking well made movie. They directed the shit out of it.

I think the issue with the watchowskis is the same issue a lot of directors have: they need to be forced to work within certain constraints to produce their best work.

when they're forced to compromise, they seem to pay more attention to keeping everything in line. Without that pressure their work loses focus

ITT: People who cannot process the fact that the defining film of the turn of the century was made by two trannies.

Almost every action movie you watch today is directly ripping shots out of The Matrix. The Matrix is a masterpiece of cinema, and you all hate it because you are trying to be edgy.

In the future The Matrix will be revered in the same way movies like Citizen Kane are today.

Dark City and Strange Days

The first movie took everything good in those movies and mashed them together so that worked
Then they were doing their own thing in later movies which way they suck

The Matrix is obviously a rip off of the Shin Megami Tensei (2?) with the perfect world simulated reality and all that. They even had people plugged into computers.

>.m

They hold up to better scrutiny than Avengers, and the special effects weren't parodied because of their low quality, but quite the opposite.
You should try not to be so obviously underage around here if you don't wanna get banned.

aliens gave them the script

>They had tons of cover from the support beams throughout the hallway and were far more skilled in the use of firearms and fighting techniques over a bunch of cops, I don't know how else I can explain it to you further if you can't just enjoy a cool scene.

I always really liked the Matrix, the sequels too and this thread made me rewatch the lobby scene which I used to enjoy a lot.

Turns out it's completely idiotic, literally the dumbest thing one could possibly come up with when asked to imagine a shootout.

1. In walks neo, flashes his junk, goes David Della Rocco with his two mp5s to take out some unsuspecting guards armed with handguns, leaves one alive.
2. In walks trinity empties the clip in her uzi on the one guard calling for backup, he's armed but surprised by her entrance and pointing his gun completely the wrong way.
3. Neo and trinity calmly walk in the lobby with their bag discarding their now empty guns.
4. Backup arrives, squad of paramilitary in body armor with assault rifles and shotguns get in position behind the beams, guns aimed at the trenchcoat maffia.
5. Neo decides the best way to tackle this treat is by dual wielding some semi-automatic pistols with standard magazines. Trinity doesn't even bother with guns.
6. Both run of to the sides, Trinity decides she's up for a bit of freerunning and does some sideways wallflip shit before adjusting her sunglasses. (fashion not sports) Neo fires his pistols at some of them. (There were at least 8 men, now firing at them.)